FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Bees

Bees

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ame-room-no-swap OP   Couple  over a year ago

Taunton

All mine have died. Any other beekeepers on here ? How have yours wintered ? Am I just unlucky ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

Oh no

I'm not a bee keeper but my sister is. She has 3 busy hives. Happy to ask her some questions.

By *yrdsisWoman  over a year ago

Gleam Street

How awful... Mum's hives are thriving

Was there something that set them off?

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgowish

That is sad. Not a lover of bees but when any living creature dies i always feel emotional.

Taunton

"That is sad. Not a lover of bees but when any living creature dies i always feel emotional."

And your name is Bee as well !!! I feel bad having told you now lol x

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

"That is sad. Not a lover of bees but when any living creature dies i always feel emotional.

And your name is Bee as well !!! I feel bad having told you now lol x"

Not a bee keeper due to the amount of work and time.

So yes such a shame is she going to get a colenny or clean it out and hope one moves in in the summer

By *entleman JayMan  over a year ago

Wakefield

Why do they die? Genuine question.

By *ob Carpe DiemMan  over a year ago

Torquay

Does that happen naturally sometimes, not sure just asking

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Ah that’s sad ... I was sat out earlier and saw a couple of bees near the ivy. I don’t know much about them but is it early to see them out? I thought it was...

Taunton

"Why do they die? Genuine question. "

Lots of reasons , for example, varoa mite, hornets, predators over winter ( mice etc ) to name a few. Also insecticide spraying from nearby farmers a possibility.

No however i plan to have a hive, and wanted to speak to someone in the know so ill follow this thread

By *ob Carpe DiemMan  over a year ago

Torquay

"Why do they die? Genuine question.

Lots of reasons , for example, varoa mite, hornets, predators over winter ( mice etc ) to name a few. Also insecticide spraying from nearby farmers a possibility."

European Hornets are very endangered please don't be blaming them, Asian on the other hand are an invasive species

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgowish

"That is sad. Not a lover of bees but when any living creature dies i always feel emotional.

And your name is Bee as well !!! I feel bad having told you now lol x"

I am still alive and kicking but have emotional ties to Bees for obvious reasons

By *ex HolesMan  over a year ago

Up North

"All mine have died. Any other beekeepers on here ? How have yours wintered ? Am I just unlucky ?"

Yes I am. I like the milk bees best.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

Bees not lasting over winter is a hard one to call from the hive not swarming witch is a devide leaving them low on food to the swarm being to late to make the food for them to over winter and that is before pest and disease.

But we lose the bees and some one looses the work invested in them.

By *ronmant16Man  over a year ago

Sheffield

"All mine have died. Any other beekeepers on here ? How have yours wintered ? Am I just unlucky ?"

Did they have plenty of stores going into winter?? After I removed my honey o give them as much Syrup as they will take down, also I put fondant on top, February,march is a prime time to lose colonys due to starvation

By *astesLikeMagicWoman  over a year ago

Newcastle

That's really sad to hear

really sad.

Taunton

"All mine have died. Any other beekeepers on here ? How have yours wintered ? Am I just unlucky ?

Did they have plenty of stores going into winter?? After I removed my honey o give them as much Syrup as they will take down, also I put fondant on top, February,march is a prime time to lose colonys due to starvation"

Yes, as it was a new colony I hadn’t taken any honey out, and they had plenty of supplies in November

By *aurimauriMan  over a year ago

minster Ramsgate

I lost 2 over the winter. Can't say why, stores, syrup and fondant was given, in fact, between 10days of checking and dying, they'd had half the fondant. All my other hives are fine. Just how it is I suppose. Spring is on its way and opportunity to split and build

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

This might help

https://www.beverlybees.com/how-to-autopsy-a-honey-bee-colony/

By *umblefunMan  over a year ago

London/ South East

Not a keeper but know some that are: have you fed them, or did you take too much honey from them last year? Hardish winter may have depleted their food stocks

Taunton

"All mine have died. Any other beekeepers on here ? How have yours wintered ? Am I just unlucky ?

This might help

https://www.beverlybees.com/how-to-autopsy-a-honey-bee-colony/"

Thanks for the link, it looks like it might well have been varoa.

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

If your bees died from the Varroa mite, you should check out a new type of beehive, manufactured by Apimaye, that has an integral varroa trap, that is reputedly very effective.

These hives are also very well insulated.

They have been featured on several TV programmes.

I used to keep bees years ago, but I was inexperienced and incompetent at that time.

No idea but I'm so sorry

Taunton

[Removed by poster at 24/05/21 14:39:37]

Taunton

If your bees died from the Varroa mite, you should check out a new type of beehive, manufactured by Apimaye, that has an integral varroa trap, that is reputedly very effective.

These hives are also very well insulated.

They have been featured on several TV programmes.

I used to keep bees years ago, but I was inexperienced and incompetent at that time.

"

Thanks for the info, I always knew a swingers website would be the place to go for this sort of help with bees !

By *ackdaw52Man  over a year ago

Chesterfield

Sounds like a parasite or disease. Have you searched for mites? They should be visible.

Some colonies just fail, unfortunately. It's very sad but they are struggling to survive as a species.

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

There is a class of chemicals that may may causing a phenomenon called CCD or Colony Collapse Disorder.

These banned chemicals are called neonicoconoids, and have been found to disorient the honey bee, or to use its binomial classification, Apis Mellifora. I hope I have got the name correct.

Have a look at some of the work undertaken by the highly renowned, but regrettably now deceased, Brother Adam from Buckfastleigh.

CCD is a massive problem in the USA, where intensive cultivational practice's are prevalent.

» Add a new message to this topic