FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > strike

strike

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

What is everyones opinion of this strike by the border agency. My view is that the Olympics is a real world showpiece event. There will be businessmen attending from all over the world and hopefully some of them may be thinking of starting a company in the uk. The last thing you want to give these people is the impression that the UK has returned to the strike torn seventies, one man, one job etc etc. Hopefully the delays of getting into the uk. So come on Border Agency, start thinking of people who may get employed in the future rather than yourselves, who are currently employed. Help make the Olympics a great event in the UK and show the UK off as a great place to do business, live and work. DONT STRIKE

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I hope they dont, for the reasons you give, but face it... If you need to strike... Now is the best time...;-)

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

i think its disgusting, only something like 11% of the union members voted for the strike but because is was 50% of the amount of people that turned up its going ahead?? and only a minimal amount of members turns up that should tell you no one wants it??

there is a rumour of a 3 day train strike to i think

By *eaverfeverCouple  over a year ago

nr Manchester

i personally think they should strike at work recently we wanted to go on strike but the union couldn't get it sorted fast enough in turn i am now £95 out of pocket and our company even said if you'd have gone on strike we wouldn't have lost out so much so i think they should go for it

I think the Olympics could have been a real benefit to the country, but that it has been turned into a cynical exercise in funneling cash upwards. Best time to strike, if you ask me.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"i personally think they should strike at work recently we wanted to go on strike but the union couldn't get it sorted fast enough in turn i am now £95 out of pocket and our company even said if you'd have gone on strike we wouldn't have lost out so much so i think they should go for it "

so they are striking because their pay rises are caped at 1% (among other things)

i havent had a pay rise (apart from promotions and in one case a demotion) in 7 years

i just think that for a service that already cocks up (immigration service letting through hundreds of illegal immigrants, border control causing huge delays etc) it is a ridiculous notion.

and to do it at a time when the UK is smack bang in the eyes of the world is nothing less than bullying. they are hoping the government will just lie down over this because they dont want a scene.

Such a shame that business cant see the bigger picture here. People outside of the UK arent going to care about their pay, they are just going to care that their trip to the olympics was ruined

By *ovedupstillCouple  over a year ago

mullinwire

"i personally think they should strike at work recently we wanted to go on strike but the union couldn't get it sorted fast enough in turn i am now £95 out of pocket and our company even said if you'd have gone on strike we wouldn't have lost out so much so i think they should go for it

so they are striking because their pay rises are caped at 1% (among other things)

i havent had a pay rise (apart from promotions and in one case a demotion) in 7 years

i just think that for a service that already cocks up (immigration service letting through hundreds of illegal immigrants, border control causing huge delays etc) it is a ridiculous notion.

and to do it at a time when the UK is smack bang in the eyes of the world is nothing less than bullying. they are hoping the government will just lie down over this because they dont want a scene.

Such a shame that business cant see the bigger picture here. People outside of the UK arent going to care about their pay, they are just going to care that their trip to the olympics was ruined "

this is it.

i have only had a payrise, in the last 10 years, by changing jobs, no other way, so why are they so special?

its just like everyone else down that way, bus drivers, tube drivers and so on, doing everything they can to line their pockets at the detriment to the masses.

i was offered a driving job, taking portable apartment buildings down to the games. i turned it down, and why? because as a class 1 driver, arguably determined as the most preofessional driver on the road, i was offered £8.50 an hour.

there is bound to be drivers that will do it for that, but im not one of them.

did i agree to do it, then organise everyone to refuse and go on strike for better money?

not at all.

i really am sick of hearing people use the olympics to better their own personal status rather than think of the country as a whole.

ok yes, some will get rich off the back of it, thats the way of the world, but if you agree to work for a wage, and have a contract, it SHOULD be adhered to.

"What is everyones opinion of this strike by the border agency. My view is that the Olympics is a real world showpiece event. There will be businessmen attending from all over the world and hopefully some of them may be thinking of starting a company in the uk. The last thing you want to give these people is the impression that the UK has returned to the strike torn seventies, one man, one job etc etc. Hopefully the delays of getting into the uk. So come on Border Agency, start thinking of people who may get employed in the future rather than yourselves, who are currently employed. Help make the Olympics a great event in the UK and show the UK off as a great place to do business, live and work. DONT STRIKE "

Well as the law stands if they go through the right procedure then they can strike but and it a big but striking the day before the Olympics is cynical and won't get public support.

"What is everyones opinion of this strike by the border agency. My view is that the Olympics is a real world showpiece event. There will be businessmen attending from all over the world and hopefully some of them may be thinking of starting a company in the uk. The last thing you want to give these people is the impression that the UK has returned to the strike torn seventies, one man, one job etc etc. Hopefully the delays of getting into the uk. So come on Border Agency, start thinking of people who may get employed in the future rather than yourselves, who are currently employed. Help make the Olympics a great event in the UK and show the UK off as a great place to do business, live and work. DONT STRIKE "

The torn seventies. That would be one of the three decades (the others being the 50s and the 60s) when for the first and last time in British history the historically huge gap between the rich and the poor narrowed would it? When as a result our health, education and transport systems were among the best in the developed world? When property prices and rents weren't the highest in Europe? When people weren't encouraged to consume, consume, consume because we didn't have an economy which was based on what people spent rather than on what we produced? When we didn't have thousands of homeless people sleeping on the streets?

"i personally think they should strike at work recently we wanted to go on strike but the union couldn't get it sorted fast enough in turn i am now £95 out of pocket and our company even said if you'd have gone on strike we wouldn't have lost out so much so i think they should go for it

Such a shame that business cant see the bigger picture here. People outside of the UK arent going to care about their pay, they are just going to care that their trip to the olympics was ruined

this is it.

i have only had a payrise, in the last 10 years, by changing jobs, no other way, so why are they so special?

its just like everyone else down that way, bus drivers, tube drivers and so on, doing everything they can to line their pockets at the detriment to the masses.

i was offered a driving job, taking portable apartment buildings down to the games. i turned it down, and why? because as a class 1 driver, arguably determined as the most preofessional driver on the road, i was offered £8.50 an hour.

there is bound to be drivers that will do it for that, but im not one of them.

did i agree to do it, then organise everyone to refuse and go on strike for better money?

not at all.

i really am sick of hearing people use the olympics to better their own personal status rather than think of the country as a whole.

ok yes, some will get rich off the back of it, thats the way of the world, but if you agree to work for a wage, and have a contract, it SHOULD be adhered to."

Perhaps if you abandoned your 'I know my place my lord attitude' found some courage and joined a union you would have had a payrise-though probably not as big a one as the bankers and other people who are far too rich in the first place give themselves.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

dont understand why people are happy to knock workers who take a stand in this case against redundancies and reduction in staffing..

look at the mess the cuts have put the border agency in, have people forgotten the shambles of a couple of months ago..

or should we just have an 'open door' policy where no checks are carried out?

working conditions for the vast majority in the UK are being driven down in a race to the bottom by the TNC's..

then they feck off somewhere else to other countries with lower costs so they can maximise profit..

and its not a public versus private argument as some seem to swallow from the media / politicians..

that is basic divide and and rule and so many fall for it..

if a unionised workforce take action to defend their conditions, pensions etc why do people snipe away..

its not an easy step walking out, believe me its a bit frightening..

dont get anti those who do so, get organised and stop being bled dry..

the gap between the rich and now we have super rich and us, the normal hard working good people who keep this country running is getting wider and wider with more inequality, more child poverty, more stretched public services..

it aint the likes of this present government with its millionaires who will suffer, its us...

Strike = fine but strike the day before lots coming in for Olympics = conniving cnuts

"

there is a rumour of a 3 day train strike to i think"

network rail wont be doing strikes.part of our pay deal this year was no strikes in the Olympics

( cant confirm about the train operators thou)

"What is everyones opinion of this strike by the border agency. My view is that the Olympics is a real world showpiece event. There will be businessmen attending from all over the world and hopefully some of them may be thinking of starting a company in the uk. The last thing you want to give these people is the impression that the UK has returned to the strike torn seventies, one man, one job etc etc. Hopefully the delays of getting into the uk. So come on Border Agency, start thinking of people who may get employed in the future rather than yourselves, who are currently employed. Help make the Olympics a great event in the UK and show the UK off as a great place to do business, live and work. DONT STRIKE

The torn seventies. That would be one of the three decades (the others being the 50s and the 60s) when for the first and last time in British history the historically huge gap between the rich and the poor narrowed would it? When as a result our health, education and transport systems were among the best in the developed world? When property prices and rents weren't the highest in Europe? When people weren't encouraged to consume, consume, consume because we didn't have an economy which was based on what people spent rather than on what we produced? When we didn't have thousands of homeless people sleeping on the streets?

"

oh the seventies... what a wonderful decade when the power of the unions bought our heavy industry to its knees, when factory supervisors couldnt ask a machine operator to sweep up around his machine when it was being repaired, for fear of the shop steward calling everyone out....

it was the start of the demise of the manufacturing industry in the UK...

and eventually all our service industries will go the same way.

so we host the biggest sports event in the world, held only every 4 years with an opportuniy to showcase ourselves as the country to be in, to encourage foreign investors to move here and bring badly needed work and jobs..and what do we do????? show everyone why they shouldnt bother, by portaying us as militant money grabbers using the event for short term gain....

shame on you...

The rail strike is a cynical ploy to try and screw money out of a company that provides a valuable service - trains, with the hope that the company will cave in because of the Olympics. The rail company should stand strong and tell the union to come back to the negotiating table along with ACAS after the Olympics. Any settlements can be backdated if necessary.

The leaders of all the Unions should join the ranks of the species that died out millions of years ago - dinosaurs.

I think that workers should be allowed to join any union they wish, and, those that join a company that provides a public service such as transport and the Government,be told that although they've joined a union they do not have the right to strike - same as Armed Forces and Police. They would be able to enjoy full union protection in all matters but would not be allowed to take part in disruptive industrial action i.e. strikes. Work to rule wouldn't be a problem as it isn't striking but can be just as effective.

"The rail strike is a cynical ploy to try and screw money out of a company that provides a valuable service - trains, with the hope that the company will cave in because of the Olympics. The rail company should stand strong and tell the union to come back to the negotiating table along with ACAS after the Olympics. Any settlements can be backdated if necessary.

"

sorry but i work for the rail industry and we are not going on strike this was agreed in our pay deal and the both unions agreed

By *histler21Man  over a year ago

Ipswich

I say "shame on you" for even thinking about striking. I understand the issues involved, but the national reputation will ge adversely affected no matter whether it goes ahead or not.

It's another reason why foreign firms could bypass investing in our country, prosperity and our way out of our financial mess.

"The rail strike is a cynical ploy to try and screw money out of a company that provides a valuable service - trains, with the hope that the company will cave in because of the Olympics. The rail company should stand strong and tell the union to come back to the negotiating table along with ACAS after the Olympics. Any settlements can be backdated if necessary.

sorry but i work for the rail industry and we are not going on strike this was agreed in our pay deal and the both unions agreed "

You may not be striking but others are - different companies maybe?

By *acreadCouple  over a year ago

central scotland

I for one couldnt care less if they strike only a few will realy make any money from the olympics which we are all paying dearly for.

We are all paying more now for everything than we did a feew yrs ago and the wages have stayed static for yrs or have gone down except for the few who caused the fuck up and the ones who are telling us we need to tighten our belts while legaly stealing money from us and lining their own pockets.

good luck to them and hope they get what they are looking for.

sorry but i work for the rail industry and we are not going on strike this was agreed in our pay deal and the both unions agreed

You may not be striking but others are - different companies maybe?"

train operators maybe

central scotland

Why do you think the government are demonising the public sector while hardly a whisper against the real devils eg the bankers etc ppl are so easily swayed. It was the banks who caused all this and no one else some ppl want to waken up.

By *omnlynneCouple  over a year ago

milton keynes

i cannot think of a better time for the workers in question to strike. for instance the teachers were gong to strike a couple of years back and were told the time to strike was in the school holidays ffs.

if a workforce is disgruntled enough they feel the need to withdraw their services then they have to do it at the optimum time to cause the maximum disruption aka any time over the next 10 days in the case of immigration & border control.

with regard to the "mess" aka ilegal immigration you can only perform properly with adequate resource at your disposal and sadly once again due to a tory led cut cut cut mentality they are under resourced and under funded and are at risk of many more job losses in the sector along with many other workers in the public sphere.

whilst im not a politico think back when scargill said about maggie "she was going to close the mining industry in this country" and the tory governemtn of the time denouced him as a madman....where are the pits now?

sadly due to the avarice of the bankers and others in government we the working populace of the country are now having to pay for the excesses of a few so if the strike goes ahead i support the workers taking the action might not be long before your next....

By *am sampsonMan  over a year ago

cwmbran

"i cannot think of a better time for the workers in question to strike. for instance the teachers were gong to strike a couple of years back and were told the time to strike was in the school holidays ffs.

if a workforce is disgruntled enough they feel the need to withdraw their services then they have to do it at the optimum time to cause the maximum disruption aka any time over the next 10 days in the case of immigration & border control.

with regard to the "mess" aka ilegal immigration you can only perform properly with adequate resource at your disposal and sadly once again due to a tory led cut cut cut mentality they are under resourced and under funded and are at risk of many more job losses in the sector along with many other workers in the public sphere.

whilst im not a politico think back when scargill said about maggie "she was going to close the mining industry in this country" and the tory governemtn of the time denouced him as a madman....where are the pits now?

sadly due to the avarice of the bankers and others in government we the working populace of the country are now having to pay for the excesses of a few so if the strike goes ahead i support the workers taking the action might not be long before your next....

"

Very well put - sadly a number of people won't agree - but usually they fall into three camps - those who either through good fortune or hardwork and are doing ok and don't worry about anyone else or 2) want to see everyone being dragged down to their level or 3) those whos political views are anti organised workers - now runs and hides

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

You may not be striking but others are - different companies maybe?

train operators maybe "

East Midlands Trains drivers are going on strike on the 6th - 8th August, in protest about pay and conditions.

They and others striking at this particular time are only creating greatest impact because of the Olympics; if they'd not been on, the strikes would have occurred earlier.

Very cynical, but led by Union Leaders who have massively inflated salaries, perks and so on, such that "they're all right" and won't lose out financially or otherwise, whereas their union members could stand to lose so much!

By *G LanaTV/TS  over a year ago

Gosport

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who are verhmently anti union. Without a history of collective barganing, which was won at a huge cost to some inderviduals, we would probably have employment terms comparible with the US. That would mean a fraction of the leave, longer hours and a the ability to hire and fire with impunity. Sure this would help the already rich cream even more off the top but would be at the expense of the rest of us. My concern is far more that certain political parties and infuentual media organisations have been insipidly pushing an anti union objective and whenever possible reducing our employment rights.

central scotland

"It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who are verhmently anti union. Without a history of collective barganing, which was won at a huge cost to some inderviduals, we would probably have employment terms comparible with the US. That would mean a fraction of the leave, longer hours and a the ability to hire and fire with impunity. Sure this would help the already rich cream even more off the top but would be at the expense of the rest of us. My concern is far more that certain political parties and infuentual media organisations have been insipidly pushing an anti union objective and whenever possible reducing our employment rights."

Some folk dont seem to realise that if the gentry had their way and our forefathers had not fought for what we have now then we would be uneducated practicaly slaves and up to hawk with just the clothes on our backs.

When the big companies realised it was costing a bit more of their profits to exploit the uK worker they just moved off to the fareast and exploited women and kids there with 12 to 16 hr days for pennies maybe the folk that say we should nuckle under and accept the scraps agree with that too?

» Add a new message to this topic