FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > My neighbour has wrecked my tree lol

My neighbour has wrecked my tree lol

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I went up the garden earlier to peg out washing to find the bloke that lives behind us up on a ladder leaning over the fence chopping my big fur trees down at the top of my garden with all the logs falling into my garden. his wife did ask me a couple of months back if we could take them down as she reckoned they were blocking the light to their garden I explained that we did have the intention of having them removed when we had the time and money to get it done by a professional but in the mean time by all means cut back any branches their side of the fence. they are massive trees and it would be blimin dangerous to hack them down ourselves. Neither of them have mentioned it since. Until i go out earlier to find half of one of the trees on my lawn, bearing in mind i have three young children who could have been playing in the garden, with him up a ladder having a blimin field day. He just says to me " im just cutting your trees down" i just laughed and said " you cant just chop my tree without at least having the courtesy to ask ". " Do you want me to stop?" he asked lol. i was kinda shocked tbh. I rang my local police station for advice they reckon its not criminal damage as the tree can grow back but he should come around and clear up the mess. One of those days xxx

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

Not 100% sure but I think the law states if he trims branches overhanging into his garden he has to return them to you as you own them. Pretty weird if true

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Considering how often fur trees appear in neighbourly disputes I am not convinced by the police claims.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

At least it wasn't your bush he wrecked

"At least it wasn't your bush he wrecked "

My bush could do with a good wrecking

Forum Mod

O o O oo

I always thought if something was overhanging in your garden you can chop it off, but have to give the neighbour the chopped off bits back, ie, throw them into their garden.

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

Could he not have just shaved the fur tree.

"Not 100% sure but I think the law states if he trims branches overhanging into his garden he has to return them to you as you own them. Pretty weird if true"

Yes you are right but he didnt trim the branches over his garden he chopped down the whole thing from the top. Im not that bothered tbh just rather taken aback lol

By *b430Man  over a year ago

Tayside

"

Could he not have just shaved the fur tree."

Or make a coat out of the trimmings, would save killing an animal for their fur!

By *hickencurryCouple  over a year ago

brisbane

"I always thought if something was overhanging in your garden you can chop it off, but have to give the neighbour the chopped off bits back, ie, throw them into their garden."

yeah thats true. We had the same problem with a neighbours tree dominating our garden. They eventually took it down and it was as if someone had turned on a light switch

By *john121Man  over a year ago

staffs

"Not 100% sure but I think the law states if he trims branches overhanging into his garden he has to return them to you as you own them. Pretty weird if true"

Amazing what you can google:

Overgrown Trees and Hedges

Overgrown trees and hedges can cause problems by blocking out light, or overhanging a boundary into a neighbour's garden or over the road or pavement.

Trees by a Highway

The landowner is responsible for all vegetation growing on their land and, in some circumstances, where vegetation is growing in the roadside verge. Cumbria County Council Highways Department is the responsible authority where trees are causing an obstruction or a hazard on the roads or pavements and they have powers under the Highways Act to contact the owners and request that the problem be dealt with. Contact the Highways Hotline and report as accurately as possible the location of the problem.

Trees Overhanging Your Garden

Under common law, you are entitled to cut back to the boundary any branches that are growing over your property. You must offer to return the cut material back to the owner and you should be aware that if the work you do causes the tree or shrub to die, you may be held responsible by the owner resulting in legal proceedings. If you live in a Conservation Area or the tree is protected by a Tree Preservation Order you will also need to seek consent from the Council before beginning any work.

High Hedges

Under Part 8 of the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003, it is possible to submit a complaint to the Council about a high hedge that meets the definition within the Act. The hedge must be evergreen or semi-evergreen, must comprise at least two trees or shrubs and it is only the part of the hedge over 2m in height that can be considered. This does not mean that every evergreen hedge has to be cut down to 2 metres height, there is no fixed height and every case is considered on its merits. Complaints are dealt with by Development Control and leaflets explaining the legislation are available at the Council office.

Also see Hedgerow Removal Notice

this is correct, but you can obviously only cut the bits going into your garden.

and you are supposed to put it back in the neighbours garden

Bradford

"I always thought if something was overhanging in your garden you can chop it off, but have to give the neighbour the chopped off bits back, ie, throw them into their garden."

Do NOT stick yer willy through a knot-hole in the fence.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"Not 100% sure but I think the law states if he trims branches overhanging into his garden he has to return them to you as you own them. Pretty weird if true

Yes you are right but he didnt trim the branches over his garden he chopped down the whole thing from the top. Im not that bothered tbh just rather taken aback lol "

Ah well, saves you doing it now or paying someone else.....ask him to do the rest while he is there

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"I always thought if something was overhanging in your garden you can chop it off, but have to give the neighbour the chopped off bits back, ie, throw them into their garden.

Do NOT stick yer willy through a knot-hole in the fence."

Forum Mod

"I always thought if something was overhanging in your garden you can chop it off, but have to give the neighbour the chopped off bits back, ie, throw them into their garden.

Do NOT stick yer willy through a knot-hole in the fence."

You'll get it back.....dunno what the problem is!

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

"Not 100% sure but I think the law states if he trims branches overhanging into his garden he has to return them to you as you own them. Pretty weird if true

Yes you are right but he didnt trim the branches over his garden he chopped down the whole thing from the top. Im not that bothered tbh just rather taken aback lol "

He is allowed to do that as long as he cups his hands around his mouth and shouts Tiiimberrrrrrrrr

Yes you are right but he didnt trim the branches over his garden he chopped down the whole thing from the top. Im not that bothered tbh just rather takein aback lol

Ah well, saves you doing it now or paying someone else.....ask him to do the rest while he is there "

He is coming over sunday to clear up the mess and to take the rest of it down properly because it is not safe now the way it is. Just wish people would go about things in a normal manner

Forum Mod

O o O oo

You'll get it back.....dunno what the problem is!"

Yes you are right but he didnt trim the branches over his garden he chopped down the whole thing from the top. Im not that bothered tbh just rather taken aback lol

He is allowed to do that as long as he cups his hands around his mouth and shouts Tiiimberrrrrrrrr"

I shall pass on the good advice on sunday hehe

By *ortheastcoupleukCouple  over a year ago

easington were the sun dont shine

"I went up the garden earlier to peg out washing to find the bloke that lives behind us up on a ladder leaning over the fence chopping my big fur trees down at the top of my garden with all the logs falling into my garden. his wife did ask me a couple of months back if we could take them down as she reckoned they were blocking the light to their garden I explained that we did have the intention of having them removed when we had the time and money to get it done by a professional but in the mean time by all means cut back any branches their side of the fence. they are massive trees and it would be blimin dangerous to hack them down ourselves. Neither of them have mentioned it since. Until i go out earlier to find half of one of the trees on my lawn, bearing in mind i have three young children who could have been playing in the garden, with him up a ladder having a blimin field day. He just says to me " im just cutting your trees down" i just laughed and said " you cant just chop my tree without at least having the courtesy to ask ". " Do you want me to stop?" he asked lol. i was kinda shocked tbh. I rang my local police station for advice they reckon its not criminal damage as the tree can grow back but he should come around and clear up the mess. One of those days xxx"
should of rung special branch

By *ortheastcoupleukCouple  over a year ago

easington were the sun dont shine

or asked for a tree sum

"I went up the garden earlier to peg out washing to find the bloke that lives behind us up on a ladder leaning over the fence chopping my big fur trees down at the top of my garden with all the logs falling into my garden. his wife did ask me a couple of months back if we could take them down as she reckoned they were blocking the light to their garden I explained that we did have the intention of having them removed when we had the time and money to get it done by a professional but in the mean time by all means cut back any branches their side of the fence. they are massive trees and it would be blimin dangerous to hack them down ourselves. Neither of them have mentioned it since. Until i go out earlier to find half of one of the trees on my lawn, bearing in mind i have three young children who could have been playing in the garden, with him up a ladder having a blimin field day. He just says to me " im just cutting your trees down" i just laughed and said " you cant just chop my tree without at least having the courtesy to ask ". " Do you want me to stop?" he asked lol. i was kinda shocked tbh. I rang my local police station for advice they reckon its not criminal damage as the tree can grow back but he should come around and clear up the mess. One of those days xxxshould of rung special branch "

hehe x

true: we employed a garden company to cut down/trim back a large tree..

Came out of the house and this guy was actually throwing all of this tree over the fence and into my neigbours garden..

what the fook i said.. he said its their tree.. they own it..

apparently its theft if you keep any for your log burner etc..

bstards

Bradford

You'll get it back.....dunno what the problem is!"

Ah well, if it's you and you must, could you at least bite it off?

By *adystephanieTV/TS  over a year ago

glos

I had a large branch of my neighbors llandi hanging a my rear gates which were ok to open for the car but i had to get a skip into the garden and the branch was too low so I got a chainsaw out and cut it I was fined 240 quid as there was a nest (unoccupied) 30'up the fekin thing

"true: we employed a garden company to cut down/trim back a large tree..

Came out of the house and this guy was actually throwing all of this tree over the fence and into my neigbours garden..

what the fook i said.. he said its their tree.. they own it..

apparently its theft if you keep any for your log burner etc..

bstards "

Anyone with a log burner feel free the back gate is open

" feel free the back gate is open "

Wahey

" feel free the back gate is open

Wahey "

Bit of a trek fron scotland mind

Bradford

"

Anyone with a log burner feel free the back gate is open "

That's different, i flush mine.

"

That's different, i flush mine. "

Wouldnt fit these throught the door let alone down the toilet

Forum Mod

"

That's different, i flush mine. "

you're on one tonight!

Bradford

"

That's different, i flush mine.

you're on one tonight!"

Yep, snakes and ladders, story of my life.

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

"...... the tree can grow back ....."

If it`s those bloody awfull quick growing conifers that people plant for hedges then they will not grow back, certainly not from where they`re cut especially if there`s no green foliage left. Your neighbour is only entitled to cut of what`s growing over his side and certainly not anything to reduce their height. There is also the chance that he could be disturbing nesting birds if the foliage is dense enough to support nests. Ban is lifted on the 1st August for the winter.

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

Amazing what you can google:

Overgrown Trees and Hedges

Overgrown trees and hedges can cause problems by blocking out light, or overhanging a boundary into a neighbour's garden or over the road or pavement.

Trees by a Highway

The landowner is responsible for all vegetation growing on their land and, in some circumstances, where vegetation is growing in the roadside verge. Cumbria County Council Highways Department is the responsible authority where trees are causing an obstruction or a hazard on the roads or pavements and they have powers under the Highways Act to contact the owners and request that the problem be dealt with. Contact the Highways Hotline and report as accurately as possible the location of the problem.

Trees Overhanging Your Garden

Under common law, you are entitled to cut back to the boundary any branches that are growing over your property. You must offer to return the cut material back to the owner and you should be aware that if the work you do causes the tree or shrub to die, you may be held responsible by the owner resulting in legal proceedings. If you live in a Conservation Area or the tree is protected by a Tree Preservation Order you will also need to seek consent from the Council before beginning any work.

High Hedges

Under Part 8 of the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003, it is possible to submit a complaint to the Council about a high hedge that meets the definition within the Act. The hedge must be evergreen or semi-evergreen, must comprise at least two trees or shrubs and it is only the part of the hedge over 2m in height that can be considered. This does not mean that every evergreen hedge has to be cut down to 2 metres height, there is no fixed height and every case is considered on its merits. Complaints are dealt with by Development Control and leaflets explaining the legislation are available at the Council office.

Also see Hedgerow Removal Notice

"

To add to the bit about tree preservation orders, anyone can request a TPO to be put on any tree. It need not even be their property. If the Local Authority agrees, it will do so and it need not inform the land owner that an order has been issued. It is the resposibility of the land owner and the contractor to ensure it is permissable to carry out any work first. Ignorance is no excuse!

"Considering how often fur trees appear in neighbourly disputes I am not convinced by the police claims."

it is true i had the same problem with a tree next door to me and i had to give her back the bits i took of the tree on my side.

» Add a new message to this topic