FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > shopping addiction

shopping addiction

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ubblicious OP   Woman  over a year ago

Bedfordshire

So, I've just spent practically the whole day shopping. This may not sound awful, but those who know me will know that I am between jobs and waiting for my start date. So I just spent the majority of my final salary from my last job on clothes. Am I insane?! Is this an actual illness?! Happens to me all the time.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *uyuksno1Man  over a year ago

poole

well if its an illness i dont want the cure

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

On a slight level I worry about my clothes buying.

I tend to buy something new every weekend. If I see the word sale then I'm a sucker for it.

I have also just started a new job and have bought lots of new clothes and shoes for that, but I do believe its an obsession because I don't need these clothes.

I did clear out a lot of clothes recently because someone at home said that my wardrobe looked like a hoarders cave. But I have replaced all the excess clothes I didn't wear with new ones.

Bedfordshire

Oh I'm glad I'm not the only one. I have got 2 double wardrobes, a massive chest of drawers and 2 clothes rails inn the spare room. I can't bear to give the stuff away to charity either! But I don't have time to ebay it all. Any suggestions on how I can claw back a bit of my mis-spent cash?!

"Oh I'm glad I'm not the only one. I have got 2 double wardrobes, a massive chest of drawers and 2 clothes rails inn the spare room. I can't bear to give the stuff away to charity either! But I don't have time to ebay it all. Any suggestions on how I can claw back a bit of my mis-spent cash?! "

There are second hand clothes shops that will sell your clothes and give you a percentage of the sale.

I go through stages I know I shouldn't be doing it but just can't stop myself. Bought a load of new dresses yesterday and 2 pairs of shoes and a suitcase that I didn't really need too

I sometimes think being skint makes me do it, I'm really careful for weeks then get so pissed of with it I retaliate

Bedfordshire

"Oh I'm glad I'm not the only one. I have got 2 double wardrobes, a massive chest of drawers and 2 clothes rails inn the spare room. I can't bear to give the stuff away to charity either! But I don't have time to ebay it all. Any suggestions on how I can claw back a bit of my mis-spent cash?!

There are second hand clothes shops that will sell your clothes and give you a percentage of the sale. "

Presumably this is for designer clothing though? I go for quantity over quality, as I get bored easily.

"So, I've just spent practically the whole day shopping. This may not sound awful, but those who know me will know that I am between jobs and waiting for my start date. So I just spent the majority of my final salary from my last job on clothes. Am I insane?! Is this an actual illness?! Happens to me all the time. "

As daft as it may sound you could be mildly bipolar and do this when in hypermania, wild spendung sprees are a classic symptom.

How do you feel in the times around it? Are you elated and make other rash decisions? Etc. Do you have long periods of depression etc.?

It's probably not this and just you addicted to buying clothes but it might be worth looking into it further if you do have other symptoms and it is affecting your life.

I

i love to go window shopping and shopping as a whole.

sometimes i spend far to much but i know i can afford it so i dont stress to much but my shoe addiction and underwear addiction is pretty high at the moment

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Different people spend their money on different things. I cant see the problem with shopping for clothes and shoes.

It only becomes a problem if someone gets themselves into debt because of their spending

Its very wasteful though and sometimes I do feel guilty about that. I do work and I can afford what I buy, I would never get into debt for the sake of clothes but its buying and then storing them and not getting the wear out of them. I could have had a weekend away with the amount of money I've spent recently.

In the last month I've bought

2 pairs of Irregular Choice shoes

5 pairs of flat shoes for work

A leather jacket

One corselette

5 packs of white cotton M&S knickers

8 dresses

An Ugg handbag

One pair of knee high boots

Oh and a Jasper Conran handbag, which admittedly is gorgeous

I have a walk in wardrobe which is a fair size and that looked gorgeous 2 months ago when I cleared 12 bin bags full of old clothes and shoes, its starting to look the same again.

I do love clothes and I like to look well dressed all the time, I don't do casual really, but even I feel its too much, but then I see good bargains and I keep thinking about them til I've bought them

Bedfordshire

"So, I've just spent practically the whole day shopping. This may not sound awful, but those who know me will know that I am between jobs and waiting for my start date. So I just spent the majority of my final salary from my last job on clothes. Am I insane?! Is this an actual illness?! Happens to me all the time.

As daft as it may sound you could be mildly bipolar and do this when in hypermania, wild spendung sprees are a classic symptom.

How do you feel in the times around it? Are you elated and make other rash decisions? Etc. Do you have long periods of depression etc.?

It's probably not this and just you addicted to buying clothes but it might be worth looking into it further if you do have other symptoms and it is affecting your life.

I"

Thank you duracell, I may have to look into this as it does sound like me.

Bedfordshire

And for those who say it's not a problem unless youbget into debt-perhaps I didn't make it clear in my op that I have just finished a job, and don't know when my next job will start. So that money should have been saved to pay next months bills etc, as I have no overdraft. So next months bills will probably go unpaid.

Fortunately some of it will be going back (I hate fitting rooms in shops) so I will be able to get about 100 quid back. Still, doesn't dent the bills!

I know someone with a definate shopping addiction, both high street and online.

Earns around £14,000 a year yet thinks nothing of spending £30-£50 on a t-shirt, £80-£100 on a jumper / top

He must have 20 pairs of jeans - all branded, 15/20 pairs of shoes, literally hundreds of t-shirts and tops, 2 watches that were over £500 each

There is never a week goes by that he doesn't turn up in something new.

Where the money comes from heaven only knows.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

a great idea would be for someone to sell clothes on behalf of others on Ebay...

taking the pics and loading them, the profile and answering the questions does my nut in.

I would happily give a percentage

"Oh I'm glad I'm not the only one. I have got 2 double wardrobes, a massive chest of drawers and 2 clothes rails inn the spare room. I can't bear to give the stuff away to charity either! But I don't have time to ebay it all. Any suggestions on how I can claw back a bit of my mis-spent cash?!

There are second hand clothes shops that will sell your clothes and give you a percentage of the sale.

Presumably this is for designer clothing though? I go for quantity over quality, as I get bored easily. "

no its normally a per kg rate, they dont distinguish between brands, its just an alternative to giving to charity, take a few bags down, they weight them up and give you a few quid on the spot

"a great idea would be for someone to sell clothes on behalf of others on Ebay...

taking the pics and loading them, the profile and answering the questions does my nut in.

I would happily give a percentage "

I already do this for friends and family. It can be time consuming with the listing and postage, but we go halves on any profit made. Makes a little bit of money for both parties and saves things going to waste

"a great idea would be for someone to sell clothes on behalf of others on Ebay...

well selling second hand clothes on ebay is a bit of a fuck on, my old boss used to do it and people return stuff like crazy or try to pull up or make up faults with the item that might not been there when sold to try and get refunds without sending back or partial refunds

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

well selling second hand clothes on ebay is a bit of a fuck on, my old boss used to do it and people return stuff like crazy or try to pull up or make up faults with the item that might not been there when sold to try and get refunds without sending back or partial refunds"

it is a nightmare at times....

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

I do that for my technophobe sister and brother-in-law, and a few other pals.....I knock my ebay/paypal costs off and donate 10% to my local RSPCA and give them the rest of the dosh, managed to pay for about 3 cats to be spayed so far this year

well selling second hand clothes on ebay is a bit of a fuck on, my old boss used to do it and people return stuff like crazy or try to pull up or make up faults with the item that might not been there when sold to try and get refunds without sending back or partial refunds"

I have sold loads of clothes on there, was buying them at boot sales and selling them on for small profit but sold enough items to pay for a holiday..lots of work but ended up being very worthwhile !

i tend to donate my stuff to a local charity shop i support

i cant be arsed with ebay

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I have been in your position, OP. I did go into debt even though I was working an earning a decent salary then. Bills were always paid but I never had any savings and I was servicing a loan.

Clearing the debt and creating savings became the habit that replaced the shopping for a while.

Debt is never good - it feeds that need that makes you buy in this way in the first place. I wouldn't say that I have broken the habit completely but I now manage it around a budget. I also find that deciding you are allowed one very specific thing helps with the feeling of needing a treat and controlling the urge to buy other things. It is especially good when you can't find the perfect thing you went out for as you return without loads of rubbish and still have the money.

Good luck.

Do yourself a rolling budget so you can see what effect your spending has not just on your immediate bank balance but on your long term finances too.

I do this and it's amazing how effective and sobering it can be !

I know what I can afford and when I can afford it.

Having previously been 'up to my eyeballs' in debt built up on largely inconsequential treats and having 'nice things' it is a great feeling to know where I'm at financially just by keeping a simple spreadsheet.

Bedfordshire

Thanks for all the tips guys, however I really lack the discipline required to keep a budget! I am going to have to do something drastic though, as it's just insane...I returned a few bits yesterday; only to find a wonderful boutique stocked full of my favourite things...I managed to spend another 40 quid in the blink of an eye. At the time the money didn't even occur to me, just the thrill of owning such beautiful pieces! Ah well, maybe I have to hit rock bottom before I make the change...

» Add a new message to this topic