FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Redundancy

Redundancy

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

So, the company I've worked for and been involved with for the past 10 years went into administration on Friday. I was made redundant along with another 20 or do of my workmates...

I've never been out of work since leaving school and although I usually hate the feelIng on a Sunday night of going back to work on a Monday, I'm feeling totally lost this evening - I guess you really don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.

Is anybody else in the same boat, how do you stay positive?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

sorry to hear that,, i got made redundant from centrica in 2007, they said it was cheaper to do that than re-train us!!!, but i got my pension of them. but on a good note i now work in a better paid job, but it can open opportunities for you. get signed on to some agencies as well

By *xscotMan  over a year ago

Kingston

been made redundant twice - it is never easy - the important thing is to be positive and not jump at the first thing take at least a week to get your feelings and ideas into shape and then start the hunting

I was out of work for 3 and half months before, due to bad planning on my part.

I stayed positive by getting involved in organising a charity event, while I continued to look for jobs.

Good luck with the job search!

It's tough to keep your head up, just try to keep yourself convinced that every knock back is their loss and they are loosing out on the best employee they had on their shortlist. There will be a wiser employer who is going to get lucky and employ you just around the corner...............

Good luck, get yourself to a good agency and get some help writing your CV...............

By *andKCouple  over a year ago

Norfolk

"So, the company I've worked for and been involved with for the past 10 years went into administration on Friday. I was made redundant along with another 20 or do of my workmates...

I've never been out of work since leaving school and although I usually hate the feelIng on a Sunday night of going back to work on a Monday, I'm feeling totally lost this evening - I guess you really don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.

Is anybody else in the same boat, how do you stay positive?"

Stay positive, it's early days yet. I was made redundant 31st December last year, start a new job tomorrow week. You will have depressing times but if you put your mind to it something will come up.

Good luck

Sorry to hear...I guess you just have to go through a period of feeling like that, shock etc, loss of role n stuff but I would say dont sit about too long, be pro active as hard as it may seem ....and all the best xx

Forum Mod

Aawww these are very sad times for a lot of companies and their employees

The OH has just had the weight of the threat of redundancy take off his shoulders,he's ok but even wondering about whether he would be ok was stress enough for him and while im happy his job is safe,im feeling for the ones that have been told theirs are'nt

I think you have to make clear plans of action and stick to them,don't give yourself time to become negative about it all

Good luck and hope you'll soon be having those sunday evening moods again

By *radleyandRavenCouple  over a year ago

Herts

Just keep your head up, Mate. At the end of the day the loss of your job wasn't your fault.

I'd say the one thing to look out for is it can be very easy to sink into depression when you're not working (especially as it's so difficult to find jobs atm), so while you're applying elsewhere, just make sure you keep yourself busy and stay active. Do some voluntary work or indulge more in a hobby or your's.

If you've been there for 10 years, it might seem scary adjusting to new job, but so long as you can remain positive and keep your confidence levels up, you shouldn't have any problems.

- VincentandAmy. x

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"So, the company I've worked for and been involved with for the past 10 years went into administration on Friday. I was made redundant along with another 20 or do of my workmates...

yes... was made redundant from my job on july 14th last year... so a year and a day...

do get in contact with job centre plus and sign on for NI contributed job seekers allowance.. because you are owed that money for the 1st 26 weeks because you have been working for more than 3 years paying NI... that is what it is there for....

the first few days were odd... but try to keep as if you were going to work.. so getting up at the same time... just going for walks and breaking up the day.....

I started my new job on the 28th november.. so people do come out the other side.... good luck!!

By *uyuksno1Man  over a year ago

poole

oh so sorry to hear that my hubby was made redundant 3yrs ago he found it very difficult but he went onto an adut course that helped him focus on something new and he now has been working in a new job doing something completely different from before xx try and stay positive and get a plan and work to it good luck i hope things work out for you xxx

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

I sympathise completely as this occurred to me in February last year. You have age on your side which is advantageous; I was 55 then and statistically. the odds were against me!

What do you do next? Get signed on at your local Job Centre. They'll likely know of your company's demise and will be geared up for employees coming in. Yes, their systems are pedantic, slow and behind the times but you have to embrace it.

To keep a Job Centre "sweet" and earn yoursef in their good-books, keep a Job Diary, copies of all application letters and so on. Check out two good recruitment websites (indeed.co.uk) and (jobrapido.com) which trawl through all other recruitment sites and list every job going - and with them, you can fine tune your job requirements too, right down to the town or area you live in and get email alerts when jobs crop up.

Avoid the companies which will charge the earth to make your CV superb. Your local Job Centre will know of companies or organisations which can do this for you FOC.

Depending on your area, there may be additional organisations locally which assist people back into work or work on re-training.

I worked on the format that "looking for work became a job in itself!" Get into a routine each day - you have to, to stay sane and feel productive.

After 825 applications I found work!

Good Luck!

"I sympathise completely as this occurred to me in February last year. You have age on your side which is advantageous; I was 55 then and statistically. the odds were against me!

What do you do next? Get signed on at your local Job Centre. They'll likely know of your company's demise and will be geared up for employees coming in. Yes, their systems are pedantic, slow and behind the times but you have to embrace it.

To keep a Job Centre "sweet" and earn yoursef in their good-books, keep a Job Diary, copies of all application letters and so on. Check out two good recruitment websites (indeed.co.uk) and (jobrapido.com) which trawl through all other recruitment sites and list every job going - and with them, you can fine tune your job requirements too, right down to the town or area you live in and get email alerts when jobs crop up.

Avoid the companies which will charge the earth to make your CV superb. Your local Job Centre will know of companies or organisations which can do this for you FOC.

Depending on your area, there may be additional organisations locally which assist people back into work or work on re-training.

I worked on the format that "looking for work became a job in itself!" Get into a routine each day - you have to, to stay sane and feel productive.

After 825 applications I found work!

Good Luck!"

i was only out of work for 7 weeks, but that was the first time since i left school, but i took any job that was offered just to keep a wage coming in. good luck!!!

By *radleyandRavenCouple  over a year ago

Herts

"the first few days were odd... but try to keep as if you were going to work.. so getting up at the same time... just going for walks and breaking up the day....."

That is a VERY good point! Amy didn't cope very well when she wasn't working and got into the bad habit of going to bed late and getting up late. Makes you over-tired, sluggish, puts you in a foul mood and just makes the whole situation worse. It's much easier to keep a positive attitude when you're making the most of the day and maintaining a working routine.

- VincentandAmy. x

Hull

I also meant to add, don't be surprised if you don't receive replies from companies to whom you've applied or approached.

Even Job Centres admit that only 3% of employers respond in any form these days.

Thank you all for your kind words, it's just strange not to be dreading Monday morning...

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

good luck was made redundant a year ago and took 3 months to get another job, wish i had used the redundancy to find something i wanted to do but money was low so took job with competitor which has nasty bosses which i could have found out if i hant been desperate

yes... was made redundant from my job on july 14th last year... so a year and a day...

do get in contact with job centre plus and sign on for NI contributed job seekers allowance.. because you are owed that money for the 1st 26 weeks because you have been working for more than 3 years paying NI... that is what it is there for....

the first few days were odd... but try to keep as if you were going to work.. so getting up at the same time... just going for walks and breaking up the day.....

I started my new job on the 28th november.. so people do come out the other side.... good luck!!"

Yep got to agree with this, regardless of how much redundo you may or not get, you are still entitled to 6 months job seekers from your NI contributions. I was made redundant 4 years ago but was fortunate to get a very good pay out, as id been there over 20 years.

Am now on my second job since then and can honestly say that it ended up being the best thing that could have happened to me, obviously i didn't think that at the time though.

Also I'm the king of the application form too, so if you ever want any advice then either pm me or I'll meet you in Wakey or somewhere and discuss it over a pint.

Good luck fella and chin up

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

"Thank you all for your kind words, it's just strange not to be dreading Monday morning..."
if your dreading mondays its a good sign and this might be a blessing in disguise..best people i spoke to readvise was acas and free

I started my new job on the 28th november.. so people do come out the other side.... good luck!!

Yep got to agree with this, regardless of how much redundo you may or not get, you are still entitled to 6 months job seekers from your NI contributions. I was made redundant 4 years ago but was fortunate to get a very good pay out, as id been there over 20 years.

Am now on my second job since then and can honestly say that it ended up being the best thing that could have happened to me, obviously i didn't think that at the time though.

Also I'm the king of the application form too, so if you ever want any advice then either pm me or I'll meet you in Wakey or somewhere and discuss it over a pint.

Good luck fella and chin up "

Cheers, I might be seeing you for a pint and advice soon

Hull

You could always ask on here if anyone has any vacancies for a Bed Tester, or Gigolo

By *andKCouple  over a year ago

Norfolk

Pierre,

As others have said, make sure you occupy yourself. Typically I spent from 8 in the morning until midday seeking work but then I have also done a number of course (non paid for by the state i might add) including First aid and first aid instructor which qualifies me to teach first aid in the work place as well as manual handling courses. An online computer course and I now have an NVQ (well at the end of term but I've finished the course and got all the credits I need) an online theory course for my Scuba diving as well as a week long residential scuba diving instructor course. I hope you aren't out of work for long but a question I have been asked so many times is "what have you been doing while you are out of work" it also helps keep the grey cells ticking over.

Once again best of luck

I know qute a few people that have been made redundant. It was shocking for them at the time but they all went on to find better jobs in very different roles, and they are all much happier now. They never would have moved jobs if they hadn't been forced into it.

Good luck, could be a blessing in disguise. xx

I missed the third round of job cuts, had been with the company for over 10 years, even my boss who has over 30 years experience in the business got the chop. i didn't like the way things were going, didn't like the massive changes, my team was cut in half, bonus was cut in half(while the bosses were hiring helicopters to fly around), expected to do the work of three people on the same salary, having the new boss on your case at sales meetings but totally disinterested at all other times, made me resign from a damn good job. still looking for a new one and proving far harder than I ever expected. good luck with your search.

Good luck fella and chin up "

would u be willing to help me with my CV ?????? please

After which you can have it changed to income based for another 6 months.

Good luck with your hunt hunk xx

It happened to me recently so I know how you feel.

My first step was not to panic. There are jobs out there. They may not be dream jobs but they'll keep you going while you find something appropriate. it's also a great time to explore what you really want to do.

My second step was to pick up the phone. Call a mate. They were working and funnily enough, their workplace just happened to be recruiting or hear about other opportunities.

Final step was just to say to myself that thing happen for a reason. Sometimes these things happen because we love playing it safe, no matter how boring and unchallenging our former roles were. I saw my situation as a test of how resourceful I could be.

You'll be fine.

It happened to me recently so I know how you feel.

My first step was not to panic. There are jobs out there. They may not be dream jobs but they'll keep you going while you find something appropriate. it's also a great time to explore what you really want to do.

My second step was to pick up the phone. Call a mate. They were working and funnily enough, their workplace just happened to be recruiting or hear about other opportunities.

Final step was just to say to myself that thing happen for a reason. Sometimes these things happen because we love playing it safe, no matter how boring and unchallenging our former roles were. I saw my situation as a test of how resourceful I could be.

You'll be fine. "

Good advice, cheers

When my previous employer announced the factory where I was working would be closed in 2 years' time, my initial reaction was to stay till the end, as I knew I would be safe being in a key position, and there would probably be an opening for me at another site etc...

Before the plant closure announcement, I was being earmarked for redundancy. However, my deputy saved the day when she decided to relocate with her partner to another part of the country.

Hence 4 months down the line, I found myself another job and legged it, as I did not wish to be dumped on as the number of employees dwindle down to nothing.

Cheers, I might be seeing you for a pint and advice soon"

No worries mate, just give us a shout

» Add a new message to this topic