FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Have you changed your driving habits ?

Have you changed your driving habits ?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Since the price of fuel and general cost of living has gone through the roof, have you changed your driving habits in order to get more miles out of your fuel ?

Personally I have, and I hadn't realised how much I have changed until I sat back and though about it.

I now only do essential journeys and try do lump as many things together and do them in 1 trip instead of making a couple of trips like I would ahve done a couple of years ago.

I was never into driving particularly fast, but I find that I have slowed down even further and look ahead, slow down naturally when approaching a hazard instead of braking hard like I once did.

It's suprising how many more MPG you can achieve by dropping from say 75mph to 65

The cost of fuel is a pain in the arse but it has brought back to me what I was tought when I passed my test many moons ago and my advanced test 10 years ago.

So how have your habits changed for the better (or worse )

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

I've slowed down too

Though I do still have my rally driver moments

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Karen drives like miss daisy at the best of times.....

Andy drives with a lead foot and and this hasn't changed.......would rather get somewhere half an hour quicker than save a quid in petrol

"Karen drives like miss daisy at the best of times.....

Andy drives with a lead foot and and this hasn't changed.......would rather get somewhere half an hour quicker than save a quid in petrol "

Absolutely life is far too short to be worrying about a few miles per gallon.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

one of the things I have learnt is learn how to actually drive my prius.. the prime spots so to speak so I use more electricity instead of petrol.. coasting into junctions and breaking earlier....

I get 60-65mpg out of it now... chuffed

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I use public transport and hate it but can't afford to buy and run a car..

By *urreyfun2008Man  over a year ago

East Grinstead

That is the key, getting used to your car, for some cars going slower in a lower gear can use more fuel, than a higher steady speed.

On motorway, a nice 70mpg at 70mph which is spot on 2000 rpm for me.

By *uyuksno1Man  over a year ago

poole

bought water proofs and started to cycle to and from work x

"That is the key, getting used to your car, for some cars going slower in a lower gear can use more fuel, than a higher steady speed.

"

Went to a Speed Awareness Course the other day (yes I know...I've been bad!), and they were suggesting driving in 3rd at 30mph. I had to bite my tongue else I'd have landed myself in trouble, but over time that would damage most modern engines. The car I'm currently driving want's 4th gear at around 25 on an even road, so to keep chugging along in 3rd would just be crazy! People do need to learn how to drive their car to get the best out of it, not just follow a random set of rules as all cars are different

By *amslam1000Man  over a year ago

willenhall

"That is the key, getting used to your car, for some cars going slower in a lower gear can use more fuel, than a higher steady speed.

Went to a Speed Awareness Course the other day (yes I know...I've been bad!), and they were suggesting driving in 3rd at 30mph. I had to bite my tongue else I'd have landed myself in trouble, but over time that would damage most modern engines. The car I'm currently driving want's 4th gear at around 25 on an even road, so to keep chugging along in 3rd would just be crazy! People do need to learn how to drive their car to get the best out of it, not just follow a random set of rules as all cars are different"

My rover 25 pootles arond at 25-30 in 5th as long as you dont want to accelerate fast its ok and keeps the revs down more revs means more gogo juice

What car are you driving goldicocks? Mine will quite happilly do 30 in 3rd. It has a reccommnded gear function and that tells you to keep it in 3rd under 30. It won't damage the engine and you will use less fuel with a modern well designed engine.

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

Well I haven`t changed my habits with my work vehicle but then as it only does 23 mph flat out, there`s only one position the throttle will ever be! My regular work journey is mainly country lanes and town/queued traffic so little chance to either save fuel or waste it by clogging it!

This weekend I had a Toyota Avensis diesel estate hired for a journey to Plymouth which was doing 40+ mpg despite me doing 70 mph (cough cough) on the A38 and running around some of the country lanes around Plymouth. Amazing car!

I try and keep speeds down and braking / gear changes to a minimum.

Id also advise that checking & changing tyres often and when there at least 2mm of tread, rather than letting them run down to the legal minimum of 1.6mm of Tread. Most tyres these days have tread depth wear gauges on them. Check the grooves in your tyres, there will prob be a depth makrer that goes from edge to edge of the width part of the tryres tread. If your tyres have these markers and or there is noticeable bald spots or cords hanging out of ure tyres get them changed ASAP as the fuzz will gladly give you 3 Points & £60. Fine for each YES EACH tyre under the 1.6mm limit!!

By *thyorksCouple  over a year ago

ROTHERHAM

I have noticed a lot more cars travelling at 55mph ish on the motorways nowadays, as I'm driving along in lorry.

Used to be very rare overtaking a car on the motorways but now it's getting very regular..

Pob trying to get a better MPG .?

By *ighclassfunMan  over a year ago

Cheshire

Used to have a company fuel card and didn't care, thoughts now cross my mind, but after a long day you want to get home - tomorrow is Cheshire to Central Scotland and back via Newcastle........

"What car are you driving goldicocks? Mine will quite happilly do 30 in 3rd. It has a reccommnded gear function and that tells you to keep it in 3rd under 30. It won't damage the engine and you will use less fuel with a modern well designed engine."

I sell cars so I change quite regularly and it does vary on the car I am in, but the cars I sell tend to be geared higher to get better efficiency etc out of them. The car I am currently in wants 5th at 30 on an even road...it's a 6 speed box. The only time I'd have it in 3rd at 30 was to use engine braking going downhill. On an even road at 30mph you can hear it revving away and the gear recommendation asking for a higher gear (obv uphill is a different story).

I know high rpm won't do damage quickly, but over time it can do as the engine will get too hot and be running too fast which can cause stress to it..especially if the oil can't circulate fast enough

» Add a new message to this topic