FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > freeview

freeview

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Ive a samsung tv with built in freeview

why are all of my bbc chanels distorted but all others are fine??

If i attached a freeview box to my tv would it make a difference? Its been like this for a few weeks now

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

have u tried a re-tune?

"have u tried a re-tune? "

yes.. same problem.

try retune first and if you have another freeview box then try that.

if they are both the same then it is likely that your ariel may have moved on a windy day and may not be pointing at the nearest transmitter properly..

that happened with mine and i also couldnt get all the channels either.

had the ariel checked and repositioned and it did the trick.

good luck

Lol just done another retune and now its wiped them completely... it starts at itv

Bugger haha

Probably your aerial then...

"Lol just done another retune and now its wiped them completely... it starts at itv

Bugger haha"

me thinks u need an aerial man .......... sorry that wasnt supposed to be sexist to any women ones out there

"Lol just done another retune and now its wiped them completely... it starts at itv

Bugger haha

me thinks u need an aerial man .......... sorry that wasnt supposed to be sexist to any women ones out there "

any chance to get a man in, i wont be complaining

By *ercedes62Woman  over a year ago

Northampton

[Removed by poster at 07/07/12 09:31:59]

By *ercedes62Woman  over a year ago

Northampton

Try again typo

You sure a seagull hasn't built a nest on the aerial

By *ich_shadiwMan  over a year ago

closeish

The area your in is shit for tv signals. Try a signal booster first if that's no better you will more than lickely need an aerial up grade. Or they might even suggest havin a satalite disk fitted.

This is what I got told when I lived close to your area ages ago.

You might have to look at freesat

"The area your in is shit for tv signals. Try a signal booster first if that's no better you will more than lickely need an aerial up grade. Or they might even suggest havin a satalite disk fitted.

This is what I got told when I lived close to your area ages ago.

You might have to look at freesat "

thank you

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

What sort of aerial do you have? Is it a high gain type? I'd probably do some comparison checks such as

1. borrow an aerial, such as one of those indoors one, which at one point gave us better coverage, to compare it. Maybe Argos etc would 'lend' one, via 16 days etc.

2. try a different tv, on your current aerial, and see if that's better. Also, check if neighbours are having issues, and if there are any published problems from the broadcaster.

As others suggest, try a freeview box for comparison too. This could highlight if there's a general freeview issue there. We did once get BBC and other channels having either no/bad reception, whilst others were good, so assuming that there was a different channel, or something used. I'm not an engineer, so don't know all the stuff about it.

Are they the HD channels x

didnt know you could get hd on freeview

"didnt know you could get hd on freeview"

Yep but I think you need a sky box to actually recieve them.

ah ok, we have sky anyway so get hd, didnt even know you could use sky box on freeview.

every day is a school day

Didnt think that analogue aerials worked anyways nowadys, since everything went digital?? Or am I just bein silly??

"Didnt think that analogue aerials worked anyways nowadys, since everything went digital?? Or am I just bein silly??"

yeah they do but u have to have a convertor ie sky or freeview .......

Older ariels are not geared up for digital signals, although they do still work if you are in a strong signal area. You can either replace with a newer one or get a signal boosting box.

Sounds like you need a man for an erection, lol

Sorry, couldn't resist

"Didnt think that analogue aerials worked anyways nowadys, since everything went digital?? Or am I just bein silly??"

does depend on your area.

digital signals are still better if you have line of sight to the transmitter.

also older analogue ariels fitted in lofts dont always work so well.

best to get a good digital ariel and get a professional to make sure its pointing in right direction. they have signal meters so they can make sure they get the strongest signal possible.

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

"ah ok, we have sky anyway so get hd, didnt even know you could use sky box on freeview.

every day is a school day "

It is an HD Freeview box you need to watch HD channels via an aerial

"didnt know you could get hd on freeview

Yep but I think you need a sky box to actually recieve them. "

No, you just need a freeview box with HD channels :o)

@Op, you may well need a booster ariel as has already been suggested. Freeview and especially Freeview HD is very sensative to reception quality. I bought a booster ariel from Argos, think it was about £15 or so and it works well.

Im just curious why i might need a booster now, after its been working fine since i've moved here/bought the tv.

Friend in a road near by to me has also lost the BBC channels. They pixilate then i get a message 'no signal being received'

Believe it or not, my loss of channels was caused by the trees coming into bloom lol, it blocked the signal. Any building work gone on nearby?

"Im just curious why i might need a booster now, after its been working fine since i've moved here/bought the tv.

Friend in a road near by to me has also lost the BBC channels. They pixilate then i get a message 'no signal being received' "

check that you are pointing in right direction.

or check that there ar no signal issues in your area. sometimes when maintanence is done the transmitters operate on lower power.

check with as many neighbours as you can if they are getting the same problems. if not then get someone to check your ariel and connections. outside ariels can get water in the connection boxes so it may just need checking.will be plenty of decent priced guys in the local paper.

maybe advertise on Fab and 'pay in kind'

closeish

You might need a booster as new buildings or tree growth might be interrupting the signal you once had. And it's a cheaper option to try first before going down the route to get a new Ariel or dish fitted.

Check what direction your Ariel is pointing and think is there anything new in that direction that could be blocking/minimising the signal.

"Believe it or not, my loss of channels was caused by the trees coming into bloom lol, it blocked the signal. Any building work gone on nearby?"

yeah a 4 storey nursing home has just been built pretty near by.. grrrrr

"

maybe advertise on Fab and 'pay in kind' "

erm no

That could well be it then. Do you have an external ariel? My block of flats has, and that's the issue, it's all but impossible to reposition it so I just went over to the booster indoor arieal. Argos is your best bet though, if it doesn't cure the problem you can return it :o)

"

maybe advertise on Fab and 'pay in kind'

erm no "

i was only joing... no offence intended...

closeish

"That could well be it then. Do you have an external ariel? My block of flats has, and that's the issue, it's all but impossible to reposition it so I just went over to the booster indoor arieal. Argos is your best bet though, if it doesn't cure the problem you can return it :o)"

"That could well be it then. Do you have an external ariel? My block of flats has, and that's the issue, it's all but impossible to reposition it so I just went over to the booster indoor arieal. Argos is your best bet though, if it doesn't cure the problem you can return it :o)"

Ok im not at all technical with these things, ive a sky dish at the front of my property, its that where my signal is coming from despite the fact i do not have sky?

"That could well be it then. Do you have an external ariel? My block of flats has, and that's the issue, it's all but impossible to reposition it so I just went over to the booster indoor arieal. Argos is your best bet though, if it doesn't cure the problem you can return it :o)

Ok im not at all technical with these things, ive a sky dish at the front of my property, its that where my signal is coming from despite the fact i do not have sky? "

Erm not sure. I don't know if satelite dishes are able to recieve normal tv signals. Is there no other outside ariel, on your chimney for example?

By *ugar.and.spiceCouple  over a year ago

Weymouth. Nr Dorchester

If you have a sky dish and an end of cable into your living room from it just go and buy a hd bbc freesat box.I expect its the high and low pressure over the sea disrupting it if you are on the isle of white transmitter with your aerial.The freesat boxes are quite cheap now and much cheaper than sorting out the aerial.x

My area is utter crap for tv signals, i have built in freeview as well and use a cheap, indoor aerial to watch telly, you dont need anything fancy like a signal booster, sky dish or anything! Just get yourself a cheap indoor one, plug it into back of your telly and you will get all your freeview channels, you MAY have to move aerial occasionally for best results!

we have the samsung 3DHDTV and had to retune 3 days ago do to a soft ware upgrade try retuning late at night when normal people have gone to bed normaly works for a week signal

Weymouth. Nr Dorchester

What a load of rubbish if that was the case they wouldnt have any ugly looking aerials outside would they.It all depends on location and if your in a crap signal spot then you will get a crap signal.Dont waste any money on a set top aerial unless you are quite close to a transmitter.

Weymouth. Nr Dorchester

This was a reply to edinguys post

"This was a reply to edinguys post "

Eh?? Wtf!! I'm actually watching my telly now, using my cheap £3.99 indoor aerial!! Why would i give the gal a bum steer?? She asked a question, i gave an answer!!

"This was a reply to edinguys post

Eh?? Wtf!! I'm actually watching my telly now, using my cheap £3.99 indoor aerial!! Why would i give the gal a bum steer?? She asked a question, i gave an answer!! "

actuly we know some one who has had to do the same he gets a better picture of his indoor arial than he does the one outside and if indoor arial's didnt work no one would buy them would they

"This was a reply to edinguys post

Eh?? Wtf!! I'm actually watching my telly now, using my cheap £3.99 indoor aerial!! Why would i give the gal a bum steer?? She asked a question, i gave an answer!! actuly we know some one who has had to do the same he gets a better picture of his indoor arial than he does the one outside and if indoor arial's didnt work no one would buy them would they "

thank you!! Someone who actually knows what they are talking about!! I actually checked to see if it WAS my indoor one that was still plugged in!! Lol

» Add a new message to this topic