FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > gas bill issue.

gas bill issue.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *eabo OP   Man  over a year ago

marden

a friend of mine has been recieving bills from a energy provider addressed to the householder since she moved into her rented house nearly a year ago. as she has no gas appliances and has never had, or aplied for a gas account with anyone so assumed they were for a previous tennant and after ringing the company after the first one, pointing out she has no account with them was told not to worry and it had been sorted,so she binned them. however she recieved one threatening bailiffs if she didn't pay up. so she emailed the company explaining she had never had a gas account and what she had been told when she rang. the energy company has replied saying that because she has a live meter at her house she has to pay the standing charge.

this is something i have never heard of before, and am inclined to think the company are trying to pull a fast one. she has never requested a gas supply from anyone so i fail to see why she should pay for not using any gas.

any how, with the ecclectic mix of professionals on this site i wondered if anyone had come across this before, whether she is responsible for the standing charge and who actually owns the gas meters outside of our houses.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No she doesn't have to pay the standing charge, if she's not the account holder.

I don't know a vast amount about the Gas Board, but I know lot's about bailiffs.

If her name is not on the corespondence she recieves (either by mail or hand delivered) she is not liable for the debt. She should contact the Bailiff company and tell them that they have the wrong person.

If a bailiff arives on the doorstep, they have no right of entry whatsoever. This is if they are met at the door. No matter what they say, they are a bit like vampires, you have to invite them in.

They can, however, enter uninvited. If they find and unlocked door or unlocked window a bailiff pursuing a magistrates court order or a county court order is entitled to enter uninvited. They can't unlock a door or unlatch a window though, so make sure your doors are always locked or latched.

Gas companies, though, sometimes opperate on different rules for the disconection of a gas meter. They not entitled to enter in the same way as a bailiff can, but they can apply to the magistrates for an 'entry order' and then can engage a lock smith to gain access, but only to disconnect the gas meter, not to levy posession on any goods and assets.

Without having seen any documentation it's dificult to advise the best course of action, I could comment but would need to see any letters your friend has recieved (I would be happy to swap emails to offer a profesional opinion).

Other than that, tell your friend to get herself down to CAB at the earliest opportunity (their help line is available on the internet and will give her the details of the right day to turn up for a drop in session......

Good luck

By *eabo OP   Man  over a year ago

marden

i haven't seen the emails or letters yet, but from what she said i got the impression the threat of bailiffs was to scare her into paying. if they want to come in to disconnect the supply it is not an issue, no gas has been used and the company agree no gas has been used. i didn't think she was liable, but she is understandably getting a little worried now. thanx for your reply and i will pass on what you said, but maybe not tell her where the info came from, she thinks i am quite niave. lol.

lol, good luck. If they insist that they have to pay, she should play it cool and say she is happy for the case to go to court, the magistate will laugh it out...........

Or, she only has to offer £1 per week. The Gas company can refuse, but they have to accept an offer of £5.00 per month as a minimum, wether she is working or not.......

Many years ago when living in Cambs moved into a property , had sorted all the paperwork in the gas shop (ah, how life on the high street was different before the internet & call centres) but upon returning from work a couple of evenings into my tenancy felt sometinnot right .. Wasn't til tried boiling kettle that realised the gas meter was missing ..

Was when learnt Utility companies are permitted by law to cut supplies (unless involves vulnerable (ie old and young)) for unpaid bills

what a night mare for her.

if shes renting the landlord should be on board with it.

the company should be able to re issue the letters too. so if the baliffs call back she has proof its sorted.

i have a long standing dispute as they undercharged me and then hit me with a 2k bill. the dispute continued. anyway i finally agreed to pay back what was owed as i couldnt prove otherwise.

so now i pay £5 a week - i think its paid up in about 2016.

if its any consolation they set a few maths degree students the task of sorting out the tarriffs and explaining a bill but its so complex it even baffled them x

» Add a new message to this topic