FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Families don't want to see same sex couple on Strictly

Families don't want to see same sex couple on Strictly

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *uicyfruit4000 OP   Couple  over a year ago

Plymouth

Apparently Anne Widecombe has said that families do not want to see same sex couples on Strictly. Not that anyone cares what she thinks.

I'm loving seeing Nicola Adams paired up with another woman doing strictly. You can see she's buzzing learning something new, they're swapping roles ( from male to female, then back again making the dance re ally interesting to watch) and I'm proud to show my kids theyre growing up in a tolerant society ( or that we're getting there anyway).

Think im just glad to see the glam and escapism back on tele when we really need it. And my GOD I would love to get dressed up and go dancing!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ang bang bangity bangCouple  over a year ago

Sunderland

I'd really hope the number of people bothered by seeing a same sex couple on TV would be fairly low. But I may be underestimating the amount of arseholes out there

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I dont watch strictly but i cant think of a better why for children to see it as normal

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

I'm a bit creeped out for her old dance partner that she clearly sexualises dancing together so much. Also a bit creepy that she thinks families should watch it at all if she sees it as a sexual thing.

By *ebel Red HotWoman  over a year ago

York

In reality there are gay men dancing with women on it so why does a gay woman have to dance with a woman?

It is Sexualizing the show intimating you have to fancy your partner in this occasion. Or maybe its for the ratings and to make the PC brigade happy.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I hope modern families aren't that interested in listening to Anne Widdecombe

Plymouth

There's definitely a sexual tension between many of the couples.

Watching the 2 women dancing together reminded me if dancing all night with my bezzie at raves!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Kids won't see it as an issue until ignorant adults poing it out

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

We're a family with 3 kids and we couldn't care less. My kids are familiar with same sex couples they don't bat an eyelid

Plymouth

I agree.

The show's really popular with gay men. I do think there are more gay men on tv. Not so many dykes.

Other way round on fab it would seem! ( well bi, anyway)

Manchester (she/her)

What's that thing that did the rounds? Something like this

"I had to tell my kids that their uncle is gay.

Kids, Uncle Steve is in a relationship with Joe. He loves Joe like Mummy and Daddy love each other.

Kids: oh. Can I have a biscuit?

They're traumatised. Traumatised I tell you."

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

I thought their dance was brilliant...I couldn't tell the professional from the newcomer... well done to the both of them

Plymouth

"What's that thing that did the rounds? Something like this

Kids, Uncle Steve is in a relationship with Joe. He loves Joe like Mummy and Daddy love each other.

They're traumatised. Traumatised I tell you.""

Gravesend

Loads of girls dance with each other ...in groups round their handbags or in couples

By *unmatt888Man  over a year ago

Duns

TBPH making Anne Widdecombe uncomfortable is as good as reason to do something as any other.

Plymouth

"TBPH making Anne Widdecombe uncomfortable is as good as reason to do something as any other."

Very true lol

Manchester (she/her)

"TBPH making Anne Widdecombe uncomfortable is as good as reason to do something as any other."

By *uriouscouple83Couple  over a year ago

Worcester

Anyone should feel free to dance with whomever they want to and bollocks to anyone who feels uncomfortable with it. Our kids wouldn’t bat an eyelid at any possible combination.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Our 3yo watched about half tonight and not once did she notice anything apart from the sparkly outfits, the music and the dancing. She'd have no idea to even question why two people danced together.

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I very much hope that the vast majority of families, are not in the least bit fazed by a same sex couple on Strictly.

Interestingly Graham Norton said he did not see the need for it

Also think nicola Adams asked for female partner when they asked her to do it

By *imbobaMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

They're traumatised. Traumatised I tell you.""

Well made point. But why did you traumatise you’re kids by denying them biscuits?

ISO-cube for you.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

I think it had to happen, after dancing on ice had a same sex couple.

Someone from the strictly team, congratulated the show for doing it.

Nor do i tbh watching guys kissing in soaps and tv is cringy as fuck as it is and i do actively close my eyes when it happens but then i dont watch strictly so not like it matters but consider who do pensioners who were brought up in a time to be gay was frowned upon and illegal

Manchester (she/her)

They're traumatised. Traumatised I tell you."

Well made point. But why did you traumatise you’re kids by denying them biscuits?

ISO-cube for you. "

Duns

"Nor do i tbh watching guys kissing in soaps and tv is cringy as fuck as it is and i do actively close my eyes when it happens but then i dont watch strictly so not like it matters but consider who do pensioners who were brought up in a time to be gay was frowned upon and illegal"

And now it's not illegal, which is better.

Manchester (she/her)

"Nor do i tbh watching guys kissing in soaps and tv is cringy as fuck as it is and i do actively close my eyes when it happens but then i dont watch strictly so not like it matters but consider who do pensioners who were brought up in a time to be gay was frowned upon and illegal

And now it's not illegal, which is better."

I think we should give many pensioners more credit, too.

"Nor do i tbh watching guys kissing in soaps and tv is cringy as fuck as it is and i do actively close my eyes when it happens but then i dont watch strictly so not like it matters but consider who do pensioners who were brought up in a time to be gay was frowned upon and illegal

And now it's not illegal, which is better."

yes its good was a silly law but that wont change how a lot of fans if the show were raised

"Nor do i tbh watching guys kissing in soaps and tv is cringy as fuck as it is and i do actively close my eyes when it happens but then i dont watch strictly so not like it matters but consider who do pensioners who were brought up in a time to be gay was frowned upon and illegal"
many pensioners watch coronation street and emmerdale. Far more going of in those

"Nor do i tbh watching guys kissing in soaps and tv is cringy as fuck as it is and i do actively close my eyes when it happens but then i dont watch strictly so not like it matters but consider who do pensioners who were brought up in a time to be gay was frowned upon and illegalmany pensioners watch coronation street and emmerdale. Far more going of in those"
thats a fair call

I haven't been clubbing in years but I recall groups of women dancing together, likewise groups of men. Anne obviously never got out enough..

Inclusive.

Teaching inclusive.. not to discriminate...good on strictly

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

And now it's not illegal, which is better.yes its good was a silly law but that wont change how a lot of fans if the show were raised "

my 93 year old dad's uncle was gay and in a committed relationship with another man for 50 years. I doubt he'd be shocked by two women dancing together. He doesn't watch Strictly but still...

Forum Mod

East Sussex

also I'm going to be a pensioner in just over two years

By *ettyboop61Woman  over a year ago

St Neots

"Apparently Anne Widecombe has said that families do not want to see same sex couples on Strictly. Not that anyone cares what she thinks.

I'm loving seeing Nicola Adams paired up with another woman doing strictly. You can see she's buzzing learning something new, they're swapping roles ( from male to female, then back again making the dance re ally interesting to watch) and I'm proud to show my kids theyre growing up in a tolerant society ( or that we're getting there anyway).

Think im just glad to see the glam and escapism back on tele when we really need it. And my GOD I would love to get dressed up and go dancing! "

I used to dance many years ago and because there weren't many men women had to dance together even in competitions....live and let live I say

And now it's not illegal, which is better.yes its good was a silly law but that wont change how a lot of fans if the show were raised

my 93 year old dad's uncle was gay and in a committed relationship with another man for 50 years. I doubt he'd be shocked by two women dancing together. He doesn't watch Strictly but still..."

im not saying there arent gay pensioners im just saying for a long time people were shamed shunned and abused even by mothers brothers sisters so i would say its more likely than not to say that people from that era in the main could have an issue with it

Duns

And now it's not illegal, which is better.yes its good was a silly law but that wont change how a lot of fans if the show were raised "

Well it's about time they got used to it then.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"Apparently Anne Widecombe has said that families do not want to see same sex couples on Strictly. Not that anyone cares what she thinks.

Think im just glad to see the glam and escapism back on tele when we really need it. And my GOD I would love to get dressed up and go dancing!

I used to dance many years ago and because there weren't many men women had to dance together even in competitions....live and let live I say "

I just wish I could still dance, with anybody!

Manchester (she/her)

And now it's not illegal, which is better.yes its good was a silly law but that wont change how a lot of fans if the show were raised

my 93 year old dad's uncle was gay and in a committed relationship with another man for 50 years. I doubt he'd be shocked by two women dancing together. He doesn't watch Strictly but still...im not saying there arent gay pensioners im just saying for a long time people were shamed shunned and abused even by mothers brothers sisters so i would say its more likely than not to say that people from that era in the main could have an issue with it"

The pensioners I know are tolerant and accepting.

If they aren't they can accept that things have changed.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

my 93 year old dad's uncle was gay and in a committed relationship with another man for 50 years. I doubt he'd be shocked by two women dancing together. He doesn't watch Strictly but still...im not saying there arent gay pensioners im just saying for a long time people were shamed shunned and abused even by mothers brothers sisters so i would say its more likely than not to say that people from that era in the main could have an issue with it"

I'm not sure you're right though. That's just my experience of course but the older generation in my family have quite a few gay friends and although they aren't as open as the younger generation they aren't offended by it.

I do take your point though, it was certainly a taboo subject even in the 1970s. People like Elton John hid it and even now footballers can't be openly gay

By *aastyKnixWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

Has Anne Widdecombe conducted a survey of the Strictly audience?

Or is she just taking it upon herself to speak for everyone else? Is she just assuming that she knows what others think?

She's entitled to her own opinion,I guess but that's all it is,her opinion.

By *ensualMan  over a year ago

Sutton

I bet most men would not bat an eye if a pair of foxy lesbians kissed.

I find it weird that people call it PC gone wrong when programmes hold up mirror to society.

I love reading about social history and there is the official script about society and there is what really happened in day to day life.

If you read social history a fair few pensioners when they were younger were gay (well apart from Daily Mail readers) but could not express themselves and their stories buried.

Manchester (she/her)

I bet most men would not bat an eye if a pair of foxy lesbians kissed.

I find it weird that people call it PC gone wrong when programmes hold up mirror to society.

I love reading about social history and there is the official script about society and there is what really happened in day to day life.

If you read social history a fair few pensioners when they were younger were gay (well apart from Daily Mail readers) but could not express themselves and their stories buried.

"

Well I heard Anne Widdecombe sucked on a lemon....the lemon pulled a face

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

Its easily solved.

Don't watch strictly.

We don't.

By *ookMan  over a year ago

london

I wonder if Anne has seen naked attraction...?

God forbid she ever goes on this show after her success on strictly. My eyes! My eyes!!!

By *eeBee67Man  over a year ago

Masked and Distant

Watched it.

Was really clever how they swapped roles throughout the dance.

Thought they looked a little aware of the fact that they were the first same sex couple and a little awkward, Nicola going for double high five at the end and Katya going for the hug.

When stood being interviewed after they didn't seem to know how to touch or interact with each other.

I'm sure it will get better and more relaxed as they progress.

By *tephTV67TV/TS  over a year ago

Cheshire

They knew sooner or later it would have to be addressed. So took the safest route in getting two women to dance together, women are often more empathetic and guys aren’t going to complain too much either.

I would bet there will be a Transgendered person next year, as now they’ve finally accepted they needed to be more inclusive to the LGBT+ community, for me it’s the next obvious step.

I can’t see two men dancing together for quite awhile though.

By *oson-BlueCouple  over a year ago

North Kent

Families don't want to see Ann Widdecombe on... well... *anything*

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"They knew sooner or later it would have to be addressed. So took the safest route in getting two women to dance together, women are often more empathetic and guys aren’t going to complain too much either.

I would bet there will be a Transgendered person next year, as now they’ve finally accepted they needed to be more inclusive to the LGBT+ community, for me it’s the next obvious step.

I can’t see two men dancing together for quite awhile though. "

One of the Simon Cowell talent shows had two men dancing together.

Think im just glad to see the glam and escapism back on tele when we really need it. And my GOD I would love to get dressed up and go dancing! "

Hear Hear.

50 years from now these discussions won't happen it will be normalised. But it is only 50+ years since homosexuality was removed from criminal offence legislation.

Like all discrimination 99.98% of it is 'indoctrination' of youth; be that race, religion, or in this case sexuality.

Tough little pocket rocket if you ask me.....with an infectious smile is Nicola Adams.

By *icole123Woman  over a year ago

West Yorkshire

I couldn't give a flying fuck what Ann Widdecombe says or thinks,the odious little germ that she is...

It’s funny that people who get offended by anything that is an ‘affront’ to their squeamish sensibilities are the same people that tell you to ‘just switch it off or turn over’ when you see something

Cheshire

"They knew sooner or later it would have to be addressed. So took the safest route in getting two women to dance together, women are often more empathetic and guys aren’t going to complain too much either.

One of the Simon Cowell talent shows had two men dancing together."

no such thing another dancing show ...there’s only one in my head

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

[Removed by poster at 25/10/20 09:35:31]

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Here is what she actually said ......

'I don’t think it is what viewers of Strictly, especially families, are looking for. But that’s up to the audience and the programme.'

The twisted interpretations are up to Joe public and any other person who won't let the truth get in the way of their stone throwing.

Duns

"Here is what she actually said ......

'I don’t think it is what viewers of Strictly, especially families, are looking for. But that’s up to the audience and the programme.' "

Still sounds like some low-grade homophobia to me.

"Families don't want their children to grow up seeing same-sex pairings as perfectly normal and every bit as valid as opposite-sex pairings".

Manchester (she/her)

'I don’t think it is what viewers of Strictly, especially families, are looking for. But that’s up to the audience and the programme.'

Still sounds like some low-grade homophobia to me.

"Families don't want their children to grow up seeing same-sex pairings as perfectly normal and every bit as valid as opposite-sex pairings"."

Yup. I don't want children to see this because I think it's wrong.

It's not wrong, so tough shit, deal. Kids are going to see it.

Plymouth

The twisted interpretations are up to Joe public and any other person who won't let the truth get in the way of their stone throwing. "

Kids are waaay way ahead of us as the older generation . Some don't even need to 'come out' these days, they are free to chose and don't need to put a label on it as such. So they don't care seeing this on tele, because it's normal. Tv is just catching up with where society is already heading.

Anne Widecombe was known for her vile viewpoints whilst she was in government. It's no secret she's intolerant. Call it traditional if you want. But keeping people in their little boxes with their assigned roles in society may make the job of governing easy, but doesnt make people happy. They have to hide their desires for fear of public shame or punishment.

Nicola Adams is a trail blazer. She was the first woman to be allowed to box at the Olympics in 2012. Only EIGHT YEARS ago. She's now the first woman in a same sex couple on Strictly. She'll be a role model to many, and as a result will make some people's lives easier as she's carving out a route that others can follow.

Gravesend

"I couldn't give a flying fuck what Ann Widdecombe says or thinks,the odious little germ that she is..."

Manchester (she/her)

I don't think assuming someone with a history of vile views is being vile (within the scope in which her words might be interpreted) is a stretch.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

I just don’t want to watch strictly. I don’t care who is dancing with who?

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

I feel less bothered about same sex couples on strictly than I do about strictly itself.

As for Anne W I thought the times of anyone giving two shits what she thinks were long past.

S

"Loads of girls dance with each other ...in groups round their handbags or in couples "

A Strictly dance with a gaggle of women clomping around a pile of tattered handbags would be great.

I've never watched Strictly, it's just not my thang. But the way you've described them swapping roles, that sounds really cool to watch. I'll set my VHS to tape it next time.

By *ave2489Man  over a year ago

Bury

I'm shit at dancing but I'd go for it

Duns

"I just don’t want to watch strictly. I don’t care who is dancing with who? "

Me neither, but same sex couples make zero difference to that.

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

I can’t see two men dancing together for quite awhile though. "

Last year in a professional group dance, two of the male dancers danced together

I was more bothered about the content of their dancing.

Nicola was nice and light on her feet and the quickstep is harder to do in trousers as the moves are so exact and you can't hide in trousers!

Last year in a professional group dance, two of the male dancers danced together "

Graziano and Johannes

Cheshire

Last year in a professional group dance, two of the male dancers danced together "

Well hopefully they’ll appear more regularly and next year we get two men, women and a transgendered person

Last year in a professional group dance, two of the male dancers danced together

Well hopefully they’ll appear more regularly and next year we get two men, women and a transgendered person "

Courtney Act was on Dancing With The Stars in Australia last year.

Does anyone know if theyve had any complaints

chelmsford

"Does anyone know if theyve had any complaints"

I've had a look and can't find anything, only praise for the show. I enjoyed it

Even last night in the group dance Johannes and Gorka were dancing together. If Nicola Adams feels more comfortable dancing with a woman, then she's completely entitled to do that otherwise the BBC shouldn't have asked her to join Strictly

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Cumbria

I think it's great to normalise different.

But more importantly what amazing bodies dancers have...

chelmsford

"I think it's great to normalise different.

But more importantly what amazing bodies dancers have... "

Oh yes

By *ackdaw52Man  over a year ago

Chesterfield

So Anne Widdecombe is speaking on behalf of all families now?

O, priestess! Please bless us with the wisdom of your bubble of right wing crackpots. For we know not what we do!

"Even last night in the group dance Johannes and Gorka were dancing together. If Nicola Adams feels more comfortable dancing with a woman, then she's completely entitled to do that otherwise the BBC shouldn't have asked her to join Strictly "

If I were so inclined, Johannes would be my man-crush. He is certainly the most graceful of the male dancers and some of the female dancers too. To a degree, it's a shame he has been paired with Caroline Quentin. I don't think she will last long in the competition.

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

Is this classed as something new ??? well let me tell you, women were dancng together in the 60s as I was growing up .... right through my teen years in nightclubs women were dancing together around their handbags.... hell, even in the old war films you see women dancing together .... it's nothing new... it's social media that is the problem

Manchester (she/her)

"So Anne Widdecombe is speaking on behalf of all families now?

O, priestess! Please bless us with the wisdom of your bubble of right wing crackpots. For we know not what we do!"

By *ost SockMan  over a year ago

West Wales and Cardiff

I think I read that some dances were originally created for two people of the same sex to dance. The tango maybe?

If it annoys/upsets Anne Widdicombe, I’m all in favour of it .

By *ickDastardlyMan  over a year ago

North East

"So Anne Widdecombe is speaking on behalf of all families now?

O, priestess! Please bless us with the wisdom of your bubble of right wing crackpots. For we know not what we do!"

From a woman who has never been married nor has any kids.

What are her beliefs based on? Her faith.

I didn't particularly want to see get dragged around like a sack of potatoes when she was on here but I tolerated that. The least she could do is have tolerance.

There is no issue here, they are dancing.

Thought she died last year You learn something new

chelmsford

"Even last night in the group dance Johannes and Gorka were dancing together. If Nicola Adams feels more comfortable dancing with a woman, then she's completely entitled to do that otherwise the BBC shouldn't have asked her to join Strictly

If I were so inclined, Johannes would be my man-crush. He is certainly the most graceful of the male dancers and some of the female dancers too. To a degree, it's a shame he has been paired with Caroline Quentin. I don't think she will last long in the competition."

He is rather gorgeous

Duns

"Thought she died last year You learn something new "

I think she's beeb decomposing for a while, not actually dead yet though.

Dont watch it but no big deal who dances with who.

But if the pair dont make it to the final there will be outrage by some.

chelmsford

It's just a show at the end of the day, I will enjoy it whoever is on

By *unloversCouple  over a year ago

rotherham

Me too

The twisted interpretations are up to Joe public and any other person who won't let the truth get in the way of their stone throwing.

Kids are waaay way ahead of us as the older generation . Some don't even need to 'come out' these days, they are free to chose and don't need to put a label on it as such. So they don't care seeing this on tele, because it's normal. Tv is just catching up with where society is already heading.

Anne Widecombe was known for her vile viewpoints whilst she was in government. It's no secret she's intolerant. Call it traditional if you want. But keeping people in their little boxes with their assigned roles in society may make the job of governing easy, but doesnt make people happy. They have to hide their desires for fear of public shame or punishment.

Nicola Adams is a trail blazer. She was the first woman to be allowed to box at the Olympics in 2012. Only EIGHT YEARS ago. She's now the first woman in a same sex couple on Strictly. She'll be a role model to many, and as a result will make some people's lives easier as she's carving out a route that others can follow.

"

Absolutely love that........and your comments!!!!

By *lay 4 uMan  over a year ago

bolton

I dont want to see same sex couples

dont want to see M/F couples either

strictly is one of the worst shows on the box, bores me to tears

cannot believe so many on here watch it

chelmsford

"I dont want to see same sex couples

dont want to see M/F couples either

strictly is one of the worst shows on the box, bores me to tears

cannot believe so many on here watch it"

Just as well it's easily avoidable then

I'm a latin dancer (though not at the moment!) and I've danced with a few men when there weren't enough women to go round. Likewise women dance with women, though this is more common. Worth remembering that the sexiest dance going, Argentine tango, was originally danced between men.

chelmsford

Used to teach dance and I had many single ladies, in my class, who danced together. There was always a shortage of men, unfortunately

If anybody takes offence to same sex couples dancing together then just don't watch it and leave the people who enjoy the programme to show their support. The only problem I see with a same sex pairing is that it might make it difficult for the judges in comparing like with like say with lifts etc.

I love the programme and I'm so pleased that the BBC have managed at least to give us something to look forward to during such tough times for us all.

Go Nicola you beauty

By *ifeandhubby400Couple  over a year ago

Arse hole of nowhere ,Scotland

I was a bit nervous about them but think they are doing a great job and think they will go far ,i actually felt more uncomfortable watch 2 guys on Dancing on ice ,not sure why but didnt enjoy it the same ...

chelmsford

Yes it's great that they have been able to do the show. Some people poo poo dancing , but you have to be super fit to perform these dances, I have great admiration for their dedication

chelmsford

"I was a bit nervous about them but think they are doing a great job and think they will go far ,i actually felt more uncomfortable watch 2 guys on Dancing on ice ,not sure why but didnt enjoy it the same ..."

It will be interesting to follow Nicolas journey. It's easy to learn men's steps, but she also has to lead and do the lifts, which I'm sure she's quite capable of, with her upper body strength

» Add a new message to this topic