FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > God does exist

God does exist

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I believe that God does exist. If you want proof look at the wonderful world of nature around us, and our wonderful planet,and all its infinite variety,and amazing animals and people. I firmly believe in God. Man cannot even begin to understand such intelligence and wander.

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *heRazorsEdgeMan  over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

Who created god?

By *oeBeansMan  over a year ago

Derby

"Who created god?"

God Sr

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I'm glad you have your beliefs.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

But whose God?

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

Good for you, if you have your beliefs and they comfort you. Though it is not what I personally believe in

By * WillisMan  over a year ago

london

I’m a dyslexic agnostic I spend many a night wide awake wondering if there really is a Dog

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

Why does God make innocent children suffer with disabilities or starvation through famines ?

Wales/ All over UK

"Why does God make innocent children suffer with disabilities or starvation through famines ? "

I always liked Stephen Fry’s outlook on this

By *imon_hydeMan  over a year ago

Moelfre

Humm your proof isn't actually proof though is it. Never mind as long as you're happy, keep the preaching to a minimum though eh

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

"Why does God make innocent children suffer with disabilities or starvation through famines ?

I always liked Stephen Fry’s outlook on this"

Which is based on literally nothing written in the Bible or in any Christian teaching

"I believe that God does exist. If you want proof look at the wonderful world of nature around us, and our wonderful planet,and all its infinite variety,and amazing animals and people. I firmly believe in God. Man cannot even begin to understand such intelligence and wander. "

Good for you, but if he does indeed exist, then he's (or she's) a bit of a shit really, and certainly doesn't deserve worshipping.

By *innie The MinxWoman  over a year ago

Under the Duvet

Well, if Tom Hardy turns up on my doorstep in the next 24 hours I'll be on my knees shouting "Praise Be!" with the best of them

"Humm your proof isn't actually proof though is it. Never mind as long as you're happy, keep the preaching to a minimum though eh "

Isn't that why it's called faith?

Then id like to ask the sick son of a bitch how he justifies giving babies cancer hes the biggest terrorist the universe ever created if thats the case not to mention the amount of wars waged in his name yet people actually celebrate the sick prick if he does exist i challenge him to get of his arse make himself mortal and come get the justice that he deserves but he would be too much of a coward for that hiding in the sky having others do stuff for him anyway hows your friday good?

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Cumbria

A tv vicar what next Is This The Rocky Horror Show part 2

If that's what you believe, and it makes you happy, that's all that matters.

Moelfre

"Humm your proof isn't actually proof though is it. Never mind as long as you're happy, keep the preaching to a minimum though eh

Isn't that why it's called faith? "

The OP said proof so that's what I responded too. Faith would have been a better, less contentious word.

I would defend your right to believe in what ever you like op but just cannot share your passion for it.

If it keeps you warm then wear it and if you believe in it then own it.

Evolution all the way for me.!!!!

T

The existence of god is a misconception.. or what i believe anyway. God is no seperate entity or force or energy to us as humans, the animals in and outside of our homes, the microscopic bacteria literally everywhere around us.

Ive loved studying metaphysics and philosophies the last several years and ive come to the conclusion that any living thing no matter how simple or complex it is, and even very possibly non-organic matter, is god.. though the word 'god' is pretty horrible to use as it causes all sorts of skewed perceptions. You could boil it down to that energy in general, is god, as it was energy that helped create our planets, solar systems, galaxies and our universe. The energy that brought the atoms together to form matter and organic matter.

I hate that humans have devalued themselves to something lesser than they are through physical, mental and spiritual limitations through a lack of understanding, and believing there is something out there greater than us.. but if you really think about it.. what we are in biological sense, theres nothing we have encountered as complex and highly evolved as we are. Just look at what we have accomplished throughout our history from the dawn of bipedal tool wielding primates.

Honestly i could write an entire book on this subject alone but ill leave that for anyone whos curious enough to know more and message me, or any replies and questions here.. as itll be an extremely long read on this thread lol

By *hynwbiguyMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

I'm not sure which camp but there was said to be an inscription made on a camp wall by a Jewish prisoner,

"If there is a god he will have to beg for my forgiveness."

If you are going to site the good things created by a devine being you have to accept the bad as well.

I hope your faith gives you comfort and meaning in your life.

Personally I cannot reconcile the suffering in the world with an all loving being who is forgiving but will punish me for not believing in him.

Liverpool

"I would defend your right to believe in what ever you like op but just cannot share your passion for it.

If it keeps you warm then wear it and if you believe in it then own it.

Evolution all the way for me.!!!!

T"

The two are not mutually exclusive- the catholic church has acknowledged the truth of evolution.

You can't blame God for the suffering in the world, or injustices in it. The mere fact that we are here at all, is a miracle, and we are incredibly lucky to be here. Yes I am trans, and believe without question it is God s will that I am, as I am,and would not change it. I accept the body I was lucky to be born in to.God is love.

By *otmale5Man  over a year ago

glasgow

Great .. just hope he wakes up Sometime and stops anymore of his creations dying. And if he’s got any more time from his busy schedule sort out this virus..get the pubs back open..

"I believe that God does exist. If you want proof look at the wonderful world of nature around us, and our wonderful planet,and all its infinite variety,and amazing animals and people. I firmly believe in God. Man cannot even begin to understand such intelligence and wander. "

if a god of sorts exists it's highly unlikely to be conveyed by humans in written words or the spoken word.

It's quite convenient that a few miracles disappeared a few thousand years ago and then they try to restart them with a bigger claim than the previous.

By *nique_GymMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

I am not a man of faith, however I do think I am a spiritual person and lean more towards perhaps being a humanist. To me it’s fairly clear Christianity hi Jacked Pagan and Druid celebrations of the seasons to ‘convert’ them to Christianity.

However do I think a man called Jesus Christ existed then I rather suspect he did, was he the son of god? I doubt that, but as people above have said if your faith helps you OP then I think that’s a wonderful thing!

However, my late father who was a military man and again not a religious man always said ‘son you won’t find an atheist in a fox hole’

Happy Friday everyone

Wales/ All over UK

"I am not a man of faith, however I do think I am a spiritual person and lean more towards perhaps being a humanist. To me it’s fairly clear Christianity hi Jacked Pagan and Druid celebrations of the seasons to ‘convert’ them to Christianity.

However do I think a man called Jesus Christ existed then I rather suspect he did, was he the son of god? I doubt that, but as people above have said if your faith helps you OP then I think that’s a wonderful thing!

However, my late father who was a military man and again not a religious man always said ‘son you won’t find an atheist in a fox hole’

Happy Friday everyone "

Having been in a foxhole (a Sanger actually) whilst simultaneously being an atheist I can confirm that it is possible to find us...

"You can't blame God for the suffering in the world, or injustices in it. The mere fact that we are here at all, is a miracle, and we are incredibly lucky to be here. Yes I am trans, and believe without question it is God s will that I am, as I am,and would not change it. I accept the body I was lucky to be born in to.God is love. "

Just so long as you have no problems with those of us who do not accept the body we were unlucky to be born in, then you are entitled to believe whatever you wish.

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Yes I belive he exists to x

So did my mum.... despite loosing her daughter on the day of her own fathers funeral. My mum had a strong faith and would wear her self out doing things for the church. The day she died there was a cake waiting to be dropped off at church.

Oh and she died a really horrible sudden death.

So my answer is it’s all a load of make believe bullshit and the only fairy tales I’m interested in are disney. I think Disney is more inclusive than the bible too

"You can't blame God for the suffering in the world, or injustices in it. The mere fact that we are here at all, is a miracle, and we are incredibly lucky to be here. Yes I am trans, and believe without question it is God s will that I am, as I am,and would not change it. I accept the body I was lucky to be born in to.God is love. "
why cant he be blamed? we didnt create cancer cells or viruses (admitedly some we do out of stupidity) but im speaking of the natural kind if god made us in his image then why arnt we immortal too

By *aastyKnixWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

Well,that's god all over. Takes all the credit for the beauty in the world and none of the blame for the bad stuff.....he's either omnipotent or he's not.

Wales/ All over UK

"You can't blame God for the suffering in the world, or injustices in it. The mere fact that we are here at all, is a miracle, and we are incredibly lucky to be here. Yes I am trans, and believe without question it is God s will that I am, as I am,and would not change it. I accept the body I was lucky to be born in to.God is love.

Well,that's god all over. Takes all the credit for the beauty in the world and none of the blame for the bad stuff.....he's either omnipotent or he's not."

YES!

Moelfre

"You can't blame God for the suffering in the world, or injustices in it. The mere fact that we are here at all, is a miracle, and we are incredibly lucky to be here. Yes I am trans, and believe without question it is God s will that I am, as I am,and would not change it. I accept the body I was lucky to be born in to.God is love.

Well,that's god all over. Takes all the credit for the beauty in the world and none of the blame for the bad stuff.....he's either omnipotent or he's not."

Manchester (she/her)

Well,that's god all over. Takes all the credit for the beauty in the world and none of the blame for the bad stuff.....he's either omnipotent or he's not. "

I created everything, I know everything, I'm all powerful, and I can't take responsibility for anything bad I do. Worship me!

No thanks. Personal responsibility please.

By *hilloutMan  over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

I'm not sure I believe the stereotypical god exists, but the universe is such an incredibly complex place that I find difficult to have occured randomly. There appears to be an unseen, intelligent design to it that hints at something greater.

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

The world around us is not proof or even evidence for a god existing. What you have is no more than a hypothesis that a god created what you see, but you are wrongly trying to elevate it to proof. I could just as easily point to the same things as you and say it all came about through natural processes. Either assertion needs evidence to back them up. Just pointing at something is not evidence for how it came to be.

In order to demonstrate your assertion, the first thing you would need to do is demonstrate that a god exists (or at least did at some point), because unless a god exists, he/she/it is not a viable candidate as the cause of anything.

The problem with your argument is that an existent god is required for him/her/it to create anything. You include an existent God in your proof that a god exists. Therefore your argument is circular.

So to answer your question, no I don't believe in a god because I have never been presented with any evidence one exists. All arguments I have ever heard (and I have heard a lot) do not stand up to scrutiny. They all seem to be fallacious or just unfounded assertions. Luke

If a couple created a child, then completely ignored it, you'd call it child abuse or neglect.

But, if your faith in your version of a god brings you happiness, crack on.

By *oastGentMan  over a year ago

Tynemouth

God doesn’t exist.

which God?

Manchester (she/her)

I personally see no reason to believe in any god or supernatural force. We live in the world, we're predisposed to find patterns that may or may not exist. The fact we exist and identify beauty or meaning doesn't mean that there's objective meaning or a hand behind it. It's just what we've rationalised.

"I believe that God does exist. If you want proof look at the wonderful world of nature around us, and our wonderful planet,and all its infinite variety,and amazing animals and people. I firmly believe in God. Man cannot even begin to understand such intelligence and wander.

which God?"

Ganesha. He's my favourite.

"I believe that God does exist. If you want proof look at the wonderful world of nature around us, and our wonderful planet,and all its infinite variety,and amazing animals and people. I firmly believe in God. Man cannot even begin to understand such intelligence and wander.

which God?

Ganesha. He's my favourite."

I believe the has a lot of competition bin the god stakes

What if God is real but we all worship the wrong God and get sent to damnation for worshipping a false God???

Manchester (she/her)

"What if God is real but we all worship the wrong God and get sent to damnation for worshipping a false God???"

which God?

Ganesha. He's my favourite.

I believe the has a lot of competition bin the god stakes"

He's the only one who ripped off one of his own tusks and threw it into the sun though.

I believe in leprechauns I'm just waiting for someone to write the book then I'm gonna live my life by it

"What if God is real but we all worship the wrong God and get sent to damnation for worshipping a false God???"

Monotheistic people are almost atheists.

Christians for example, don't believe in over 3000 god's. They're 1 away from being atheists.

By *osweet69Couple  over a year ago

portsmouth

Sorry to break this to you op but God like Father Christmas does not exist.

Manchester (she/her)

"Sorry to break this to you op but God like Father Christmas does not exist. "

People will rationalise the god concept in many ways.

Depends on what your perception of god is?

Do you have proof?

Liverpool

What do you mean....there is no Santa....well you could have prepared us for that!

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Says u! X

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"Why does God make innocent children suffer with disabilities or starvation through famines ? "

Who said he does?

By *unmatt888Man  over a year ago

Duns

Well, whatever the truth about god/gods is, axiomatically the majority of the world's population are wrong about it.

liverpool

I think people who can say with absolute certainty there is no God and belittle other peoples faith,are as bad as those evangelists in anerica.

liverpool

"What if God is real but we all worship the wrong God and get sent to damnation for worshipping a false God???

Well, whatever the truth about god/gods is, axiomatically the majority of the world's population are wrong about it."

Eh?

"Why does God make innocent children suffer with disabilities or starvation through famines ?

Who said he does?"

Ok, maybe a better way of saying it is God allows innocent children to suffer with disabilities and starvation.

portsmouth

"Sorry to break this to you op but God like Father Christmas does not exist.

Do you have proof?"

Yes a affidavit from the tooth fairy.

"What if God is real but we all worship the wrong God and get sent to damnation for worshipping a false God???

Well, whatever the truth about god/gods is, axiomatically the majority of the world's population are wrong about it.

Eh?"

I think he's saying there's millions of followers of hundreds of religions so regardless of which God is real millions will be worshipping the wrong gods

"I think people who can say with absolute certainty there is no God and belittle other peoples faith,are as bad as those evangelists in anerica."

The first part, from a scientific perspective. You can say that there is no god.

But of course. People have freedom to believe what they want, and shouldn't be ridiculed for it.

However, with everything in life. A bit of banter is okay.

liverpool

Who said he does?

Ok, maybe a better way of saying it is God allows innocent children to suffer with disabilities and starvation."

Because in life good and bad things happen

People are good and bad

God if he or she exists,doesnt stop bad things happening.

liverpool

Eh?

I think he's saying there's millions of followers of hundreds of religions so regardless of which God is real millions will be worshipping the wrong gods"

Ah ok

Manchester (she/her)

"I think people who can say with absolute certainty there is no God and belittle other peoples faith,are as bad as those evangelists in anerica."

The evangelists want to force others to live according to their beliefs.

When I say with reasonable (not absolute) certainty that there is no god, the worst I'm doing is ridiculing a belief (tbh mostly I'm not doing that either). People can believe as they like.

Do you have proof? Yes a affidavit from the tooth fairy. "

So because you can't quantify something it isn't real?

You're quick to say there's no god but someone tells you there are billions of stars you believe them. Have you asked for proof of that?

liverpool

"I think people who can say with absolute certainty there is no God and belittle other peoples faith,are as bad as those evangelists in anerica.

The first part, from a scientific perspective. You can say that there is no god.

But of course. People have freedom to believe what they want, and shouldn't be ridiculed for it.

However, with everything in life. A bit of banter is okay. "

But the point of a God is belief and not science.

"I think people who can say with absolute certainty there is no God and belittle other peoples faith,are as bad as those evangelists in anerica.

But the point of a God is belief and not science."

Indeed. Belief in something isn't an indicator of the truth.

Manchester (she/her)

But the point of a God is belief and not science."

You're entitled to believe that. (No negative/ sarcastic tone in that)

For me, when testable claims about the world are made (which happens a lot in religion), that gets into science. I don't think any testable claim is exempt from scepticism or rational query. (again with no sarcasm or negative tone, it's your prerogative to believe differently)

What atrocities have been committed in the name of atheism? What atheists are peddling lies to relieve the gullible from their money?

Everyone is entitled to their beliefs. But can't state proof without actually having some, and not expect a reaction.

I think the purpose of religion is to criticise the living and pray for the dead. Not my words, but I can't remember where they cone from.

I'll defend anyone's right to worship whatever God they damn well choose tho. All of the religions.

Now if you could all stop fighting over your faiths please and thank you.

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

We are happy if your beliefs make you happy.

However having attempted to have children & losing a couple during pregnancies & then having our beautiful two & a half year old get cancer, almost die & live with the repercussions of the illness & treatment for the rest of their lives we don’t think there is a God

& even if there is he/she is a bit of a cunt & not the sort of entity we’d care to follow, even if it does mean we may well burn in hell.

Fuck Em.

S

For me, when testable claims about the world are made (which happens a lot in religion), that gets into science. I don't think any testable claim is exempt from scepticism or rational query. (again with no sarcasm or negative tone, it's your prerogative to believe differently)"

I was just discussing this with Danish who does believe in God, I on the other hand do not believe in God.

I dont just her for believing and she doesn't judge me for not. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs just don't try and enforce your opinion on others. That's where most people get the hump be it atheist or religious, telling someone God doesn't exist is exactly the same as someone saying s/he does. Both are opinions and nobody has the right to belittle anothers opinions

Im with lucifur if he exists hes right daddy is a heartless dick

Manchester (she/her)

"I think the purpose of religion is to criticise the living and pray for the dead. Not my words, but I can't remember where they cone from.

I'll defend anyone's right to worship whatever God they damn well choose tho. All of the religions.

Now if you could all stop fighting over your faiths please and thank you. "

I think religion started as proto-science. How do things happen? God did it. (Because science didn't exist) Wise learned (usually) men guiding people. Also law. How does one behave and why? God(s) say... Morality and science overlap. We don't eat pork it's bad (because in some ancient societies the cooking methods made it more dangerous). The fertility gods say we harvest at X time.

Community identity and cohesion. Worshipper of X.

For me, I find these things in other parts of society. But I can see clear rationale behind it in our history.

portsmouth

[Removed by poster at 23/10/20 19:09:23]

Manchester (she/her)

For me, when testable claims about the world are made (which happens a lot in religion), that gets into science. I don't think any testable claim is exempt from scepticism or rational query. (again with no sarcasm or negative tone, it's your prerogative to believe differently)

I was just discussing this with Danish who does believe in God, I on the other hand do not believe in God.

I dont just her for believing and she doesn't judge me for not. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs just don't try and enforce your opinion on others. That's where most people get the hump be it atheist or religious, telling someone God doesn't exist is exactly the same as someone saying s/he does. Both are opinions and nobody has the right to belittle anothers opinions"

I went through my obnoxious atheist stage awhile ago

portsmouth

Do you have proof? Yes a affidavit from the tooth fairy.

So because you can't quantify something it isn't real?

You're quick to say there's no god but someone tells you there are billions of stars you believe them. Have you asked for proof of that?"

Really fella!!!

Some people on here need to take a chill pill and get a sense of humour.

liverpool

What atrocities have been committed in the name of atheism? What atheists are peddling lies to relieve the gullible from their money?

Everyone is entitled to their beliefs. But can't state proof without actually having some, and not expect a reaction."

Well Hitler and stalin were no God botherers for a start.

Religions dont start wars.its how people interpret it.

"I think the purpose of religion is to criticise the living and pray for the dead. Not my words, but I can't remember where they cone from.

Now if you could all stop fighting over your faiths please and thank you.

I think religion started as proto-science. How do things happen? God did it. (Because science didn't exist) Wise learned (usually) men guiding people. Also law. How does one behave and why? God(s) say... Morality and science overlap. We don't eat pork it's bad (because in some ancient societies the cooking methods made it more dangerous). The fertility gods say we harvest at X time.

Community identity and cohesion. Worshipper of X.

For me, I find these things in other parts of society. But I can see clear rationale behind it in our history."

Yes. Which puts me in mind of the ritualised chanting to the Gods that ancient Japanese sword manufacturers employed. It appears this was an efficient way of timing how long to keep the metal in the fire before flattening it and folding it and repeating the process.

You are entitled to your onion OP, and if it makes you happy that is fine.

However statin god exists and here the evidence on a forum is going to get scrutinized.

You evidence for god existence is nonsense however, The beauty and variety of life is only proof that hey exist in themselves. There is a mistake in your logical argument.

Example, there is a weird shape in the sand with great symmetry, there for an alien craft must have landed. No the only thing you can say is that there is a shape in the sand.

If you want to describe how such variation is possible then that is a different matter. God is one hypothesis, although a very poor and unimaginative one and then you have evolution and just knowing about biology, which is far more interesting and richer way to describe the world we see.

If you are trying to make an argument, complex things exist there for they must have been created, this is a little more plausible but again weak Just known about evolution, time and common ancestry of animals and their habits sheds light on such a mysterious phenomenon. I read of the Blind Watch Maker by Richard Dawkins explains this far more eloquently than I can.

I also agree with many people on this forum too, about the morality of such a proposition. Children born with aids, hunger, starvation death and suffering whilst your almighty good does not interview. But is happy if we acknowdge his existence on a Sunday morning. I ask you then what are there morals of the god himself.

Is god a voyeur of human suffering?

My uncle was a devout christian, he told me that all those that do not except god in their lives do not go to the kindom of heaven. I used to ask him, with a straight face this.

Take two women

Woman one was involved in child murder with Ian Brady, helped lore one of the victims into the car and onto the moor on the pretence of finding a glove, knowing that Brady was going to kill her. Also heard on audio tapes belittling another child and telling her to "shut up" when she cried for her mother before she was murdered.

Woman two, goes about her business, works in the health sector helping people all day, smiles and makes people feel good. Gives to charity, feeds the poor and lives a fulfilled life with lots of love. Has children and the grand children. Stays with her partner through thick and thin in a truly loving relationship.

I say this in great detail as the emotive aspect of moral conundrum are really magnified.

Woman one was Myra Hindley, She repented in her final years and accepted god by all accounts this was a real conversion. When I asked my uncle, and a few devout Christians, would she go to heaven was told yes, when asked about woman two I was told if she had not accepted god then no.

This is a god I want no part of!!

Lets not get into the wards it causes either.

West Wales

"I am not a man of faith, however I do think I am a spiritual person and lean more towards perhaps being a humanist. To me it’s fairly clear Christianity hi Jacked Pagan and Druid celebrations of the seasons to ‘convert’ them to Christianity.

Happy Friday everyone

Having been in a foxhole (a Sanger actually) whilst simultaneously being an atheist I can confirm that it is possible to find us..."

My father was one too, although from the turret of a Sherman.

S

Everyone is entitled to their beliefs. But can't state proof without actually having some, and not expect a reaction.

Religions dont start wars.its how people interpret it."

I thought Hitler was fond of the eastern religions? Hence the swastika? I may have got that wrong, but...

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

Look around you and Mother Nature exists. That’s not the same thing as God in my mind

By *aul happyMan  over a year ago

tilgate crawley

god wears the number 9 shirt for tottenham

liverpool

For me, when testable claims about the world are made (which happens a lot in religion), that gets into science. I don't think any testable claim is exempt from scepticism or rational query. (again with no sarcasm or negative tone, it's your prerogative to believe differently)"

I just think when people say..well prove it..when asked if god exists..they are sort of missing the point.

I honestly dont know.But when people do mock people for having faith leaves me a little uncomfortable.

Manchester (she/her)

I just think when people say..well prove it..when asked if god exists..they are sort of missing the point.

I honestly dont know.But when people do mock people for having faith leaves me a little uncomfortable. "

My stance (still not a criticism/ no bad tone) is that the more extraordinary the claim, the greater the evidence that's required. And outside preferences or values, all parts of my life require evidence. God claims are among the most extraordinary, but the evidence is the thinnest if any exists.

liverpool

I thought Hitler was fond of the eastern religions? Hence the swastika? I may have got that wrong, but..."

I think he just knicked it cos he thought it looked cool.

Luckily there are about 3000 or so "Gods" I'm sure there is one to suit most people... if not, why not start a war and kill lots of innocent people to prove that your God is the best one.

liverpool

"Luckily there are about 3000 or so "Gods" I'm sure there is one to suit most people... if not, why not start a war and kill lots of innocent people to prove that your God is the best one. "

Because that's men starting war..not god.

liverpool

"You are entitled to your onion OP, and if it makes you happy that is fine.

However statin god exists and here the evidence on a forum is going to get scrutinized.

You evidence for god existence is nonsense however, The beauty and variety of life is only proof that hey exist in themselves. There is a mistake in your logical argument.

Example, there is a weird shape in the sand with great symmetry, there for an alien craft must have landed. No the only thing you can say is that there is a shape in the sand.

If you want to describe how such variation is possible then that is a different matter. God is one hypothesis, although a very poor and unimaginative one and then you have evolution and just knowing about biology, which is far more interesting and richer way to describe the world we see.

If you are trying to make an argument, complex things exist there for they must have been created, this is a little more plausible but again weak Just known about evolution, time and common ancestry of animals and their habits sheds light on such a mysterious phenomenon. I read of the Blind Watch Maker by Richard Dawkins explains this far more eloquently than I can.

I also agree with many people on this forum too, about the morality of such a proposition. Children born with aids, hunger, starvation death and suffering whilst your almighty good does not interview. But is happy if we acknowdge his existence on a Sunday morning. I ask you then what are there morals of the god himself.

My uncle was a devout christian, he told me that all those that do not except god in their lives do not go to the kindom of heaven. I used to ask him, with a straight face this.

Take two women

Woman one was involved in child murder with Ian Brady, helped lore one of the victims into the car and onto the moor on the pretence of finding a glove, knowing that Brady was going to kill her. Also heard on audio tapes belittling another child and telling her to "shut up" when she cried for her mother before she was murdered.

Woman two, goes about her business, works in the health sector helping people all day, smiles and makes people feel good. Gives to charity, feeds the poor and lives a fulfilled life with lots of love. Has children and the grand children. Stays with her partner through thick and thin in a truly loving relationship.

I say this in great detail as the emotive aspect of moral conundrum are really magnified.

Woman one was Myra Hindley, She repented in her final years and accepted god by all accounts this was a real conversion. When I asked my uncle, and a few devout Christians, would she go to heaven was told yes, when asked about woman two I was told if she had not accepted god then no.

Lets not get into the wards it causes either. "

I'm not sure anyone Is saying if you dont believe in god you are a bad person.

Take two women

I'm not sure anyone Is saying if you dont believe in god you are a bad person."

Completely missed the point

liverpool

I honestly dont know.But when people do mock people for having faith leaves me a little uncomfortable.

My stance (still not a criticism/ no bad tone) is that the more extraordinary the claim, the greater the evidence that's required. And outside preferences or values, all parts of my life require evidence. God claims are among the most extraordinary, but the evidence is the thinnest if any exists."

But its down to the individual.

No one is saying ..you must believe in god..apart from the crackpots.

As for the war arguments The basic tenants of christianity for example .. are to be a good person.

Manchester (she/her)

My stance (still not a criticism/ no bad tone) is that the more extraordinary the claim, the greater the evidence that's required. And outside preferences or values, all parts of my life require evidence. God claims are among the most extraordinary, but the evidence is the thinnest if any exists.

But its down to the individual.

No one is saying ..you must believe in god..apart from the crackpots.

As for the war arguments The basic tenants of christianity for example .. are to be a good person.

"

Sure. You can believe as you wish. Have at it.

I might quibble on the tenets of Christianity. But let's not tonight.

"Luckily there are about 3000 or so "Gods" I'm sure there is one to suit most people... if not, why not start a war and kill lots of innocent people to prove that your God is the best one.

Because that's men starting war..not god."

For a belief system set down by who ?

Religion was/is a mechanism to control people.

I don't have any problems with faith but when that faith involves killing someone... Nahh, not for me thanks.

Much rather wish on a shooting star

liverpool

Take two women

Completely missed the point"

You made a lot of points..I was picking one out.

I'm not going to touch the myra hindley thing.

The argument that..why does not let bad things happen..because men can be good and evil..if God stopped bad things happening..what's The point of faith..or heaven?

Manchester (she/her)

"

The argument that..why does not let bad things happen..because men can be good and evil..if God stopped bad things happening..what's The point of faith..or heaven?"

If I were a god I would not care about faith or worship and I would try to fulfil my creations.

Upholding the system does not justify committing or permitting atrocities.

liverpool

"Luckily there are about 3000 or so "Gods" I'm sure there is one to suit most people... if not, why not start a war and kill lots of innocent people to prove that your God is the best one.

I don't have any problems with faith but when that faith involves killing someone... Nahh, not for me thanks. "

I'll repeat.

It's how men interpret them

Is one of the 10 commandments.. kill everyone who doesnt believe in what you .do?

liverpool

"

The argument that..why does not let bad things happen..because men can be good and evil..if God stopped bad things happening..what's The point of faith..or heaven?

If I were a god I would not care about faith or worship and I would try to fulfil my creations.

Upholding the system does not justify committing or permitting atrocities."

I wouldnt say if god exists..he commits atrocities

Maybe he cant control it?

I thought Hitler was fond of the eastern religions? Hence the swastika? I may have got that wrong, but...

I think he just knicked it cos he thought it looked cool."

You're probably right. Likely why he chose Hugo Boss to make the outfits too...

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

People tend to believe in the God(s) that are local and believed in by others at the time they live. There have been thousands of them and they tend to reflect the people of the time and place believing in them.

As civilisation grew in size, the all-seeing and knowing God became the type more supported by the people with power. They were the equivalent of free CCTV and police forces of the day and also their minions were happy to pay taxes to the God, that those in power collected on the God's behalf. That transition to the CCTV God was a genius move. Too bad that it messed people up, leaving them with guilt etc. But leaders got a compliant population. Complexity (of the universe and civilisation) used in order to drive simplicity (of the population). You were trained to endure whatever was forced on to you, by nature or the leader of the day, whilst being told and accepting that it was in your best interests.

Manchester (she/her)

"

Maybe he cant control it?"

Omnipotent means all powerful. The standard Christian god is omnipotent omniscient and omnipresent.

Noah's flood was basically genocide...

West Wales

Take two women

Lets not get into the wards it causes either. "

This & others posts have put it in a nutshell. A God may well exist, Problem is humankind insist on putting clothes on him (it’s a him in most main religions) & splitting him into if you like playground banter & threats of “My God’s bigger than your God” Etc.

Atheists like myself do not believe in God, a God, Any God. Those that do believe get pulled apart by the very religions who are supposed to guide them.

What was ever wrong with one God?

They did this for power, control & wealth.

As my dad would say, you may find a poor church but you’ll never find a poor religion.

Religions start wars & Fatwas & genocides & helps create zealots. Religion is man made.

If God exists I’m with Nick Cave when he sang

“I don’t believe in an interventionist God, but I know that you do” & I’m more than happy for people to continue & will defend their right to, but knock all the religious war shite on the head please.

S

liverpool

I think he just knicked it cos he thought it looked cool.

You're probably right. Likely why he chose Hugo Boss to make the outfits too..."

Exactly

By *ango0505Woman  over a year ago

Dumfries

I’ll have a pint of whatever you are drinking

It would be so cool if this debate got resolved once and for all in the fab lounge.

Take two women

The argument that..why does not let bad things happen..because men can be good and evil..if God stopped bad things happening..what's The point of faith..or heaven?"

Yes I did

You commented on one and wrote "I'm not sure anyone Is saying if you don't believe in god you are a bad person.",

I did not say that

hence you missed the point.

You can do very terrible things, extremely cruel, yet it you repent god lets ypu in heaven. You van live a good life and give to the world, yet if you do not believe you do not go to heaven

SO it is more important for your god to have people believe in him more more than any other thing

Did not think I would have to spell that one out friend.

liverpool

"

Omnipotent means all powerful. The standard Christian god is omnipotent omniscient and omnipresent.

Noah's flood was basically genocide..."

If I believed in a God..I wouldnt believe in one that was omnipotent.

I don't have any problems with faith but when that faith involves killing someone... Nahh, not for me thanks.

I'll repeat.

Is one of the 10 commandments.. kill everyone who doesnt believe in what you .do?"

Ahh... that's your God... remember there are 2999 others, or are the others all made up ?

I'm sure if you read the old testament though, there will be quite a few violent incidents.

Manchester (she/her)

"

Noah's flood was basically genocide...

If I believed in a God..I wouldnt believe in one that was omnipotent."

Fair enough

Manchester (she/her)

I'll repeat.

Is one of the 10 commandments.. kill everyone who doesnt believe in what you .do?

Ahh... that's your God... remember there are 2999 others, or are the others all made up ?

I'm sure if you read the old testament though, there will be quite a few violent incidents.

"

And Jesus said that the Old Testament continued to be in effect. (Matthew 5:18)

liverpool

Take two women

Yes I did

You commented on one and wrote "I'm not sure anyone Is saying if you don't believe in god you are a bad person.",

I did not say that

You can do very terrible things, extremely cruel, yet it you repent god lets ypu in heaven. You van live a good life and give to the world, yet if you do not believe you do not go to heaven

SO it is more important for your god to have people believe in him more more than any other thing

Did not think I would have to spell that one out friend."

Like I said I'm loath to discuss hindley

Forgiveness plays a big part in religion but in a progressive society..isnt the belief in rehabilitation a strong one?

That is why i use the example of such a repulsive individual.

Tell me with a straight face she repents and goes to heaven and a non believer does not.

That was the whole point.

Anyway my friend as i say to many people who have religous beliefs

We will have to agree to disagree.

Do you think Mrs god has sat god down and said "there's no such thing as humans".

OP, I'll defend your right to your beliefs if you defend my right not to beleive.

Atheist and proud.

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I am happily atheist but will defend others rights to believe in any deity or their choice.

Religion is very important to many people, sadly religious indoctrination also causes far too much division.

West Wales

Well let’s see if I’ve got this covered, I don’t believe in any God so therefore I can’t worship the wrong one.

So I try to live my life as morally right as I can, now I’m not perfect, I speed on my bike, if I find a tenner on the floor I’m keeping it (If I saw who dropped it that’s different) & I try to love & helpmy extended family when & where I can while looking after my immediate families needs.

I give to charities I believe are doing a good job but I won’t give to churches.

So I’m going to die hopefully having lived a reasonably moral life.

Where am I going bearing in mind I haven’t followed an man made religious teachings?

S

If what is written in the Bible and other religious books isn't true then why has religion stayed around for so long with us

I'll repeat.

And Jesus said that the Old Testament continued to be in effect. (Matthew 5:18)"

Not quite how I read it but again people interpret most God stuff the way they want...at the end of the day no one has been able to ask him what way he ment it.

[Removed by poster at 23/10/20 19:47:12]

Wales/ All over UK

Well let’s see if I’ve got this covered, I don’t believe in any God so therefore I can’t worship the wrong one.

So I try to live my life as morally right as I can, now I’m not perfect, I speed on my bike, if I find a tenner on the floor I’m keeping it (If I saw who dropped it that’s different) & I try to love & helpmy extended family when & where I can while looking after my immediate families needs.

I give to charities I believe are doing a good job but I won’t give to churches.

Where am I going bearing in mind I haven’t followed an man made religious teachings?

S"

Well in my view, you’re either going in the ground or in an urn and that’s it... just like everyone else... unless you’ve got a longboat and archer with flaming arrows handy of course!

Manchester (she/her)

S"

You've lived a good life and that's what matters.

By *aul happyMan  over a year ago

tilgate crawley

i am a atheist ,,,,,, but when my time comes i will leave a message on here to say what i have found on the other side

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"If what is written in the Bible and other religious books isn't true then why has religion stayed around for so long with us "

I think for many people it's the comfort that there's life after death.

In the beginning people worshipped things like the sun and moon and over time it became much more organised and controlling with rules.

Wales/ All over UK

"If what is written in the Bible and other religious books isn't true then why has religion stayed around for so long with us "

Because it takes a lot to overcome thousands of years of indoctrination... and science has only been able to explain what has previously been attributed to “gods” fairly recently

By *ex HolesMan  over a year ago

Up North

Amen

Manchester (she/her)

Because we're evolutionarily predisposed to magical thinking

Got to love god botherer zealots that gave me the laugh of the day

West Wales

S

Well in my view, you’re either going in the ground or in an urn and that’s it... just like everyone else... unless you’ve got a longboat and archer with flaming arrows handy of course!"

That’s what H the pagan here wants

I’m with you, I’m worm food or Rose feed, nothing more......but if there was one God I wouldn’t have done anything bad enough to stop me getting in no matter which one it was that turned out to be real.

S

Wales/ All over UK

S

Well in my view, you’re either going in the ground or in an urn and that’s it... just like everyone else... unless you’ve got a longboat and archer with flaming arrows handy of course!

I’m with you, I’m worm food or Rose feed, nothing more......but if there was one God I wouldn’t have done anything bad enough to stop me getting in no matter which one it was that turned out to be real.

S"

That depends on the actual god in charge... some require belief as the entrance fee

West Wales

"i am a atheist ,,,,,, but when my time comes i will leave a message on here to say what i have found on the other side "

I’ve died twice already & I saw fuck all!

S

By *ersnickety PantsWoman  over a year ago

Club Meets Only

I'm not religious, I believe there is some kind of unseen higher power.

As for the Bible.. Simcha Jacobovici has a lot of compelling videos on YouTube that correlate at lot of the places & people in it. It is really interesting stuff

By *orksRockerMan  over a year ago

Bradford

You may want to thank him for all the world's atrocities, the injustices, the unnecessary suffering. He's responsible for that too don't forget OP.

"If what is written in the Bible and other religious books isn't true then why has religion stayed around for so long with us

Because it takes a lot to overcome thousands of years of indoctrination... and science has only been able to explain what has previously been attributed to “gods” fairly recently "

"If what is written in the Bible and other religious books isn't true then why has religion stayed around for so long with us

Because it takes a lot to overcome thousands of years of indoctrination... and science has only been able to explain what has previously been attributed to “gods” fairly recently "

science is just as bad none of us normals have a clue if what there saying is true

Manchester (she/her)

Because it takes a lot to overcome thousands of years of indoctrination... and science has only been able to explain what has previously been attributed to “gods” fairly recently science is just as bad none of us normals have a clue if what there saying is true"

Err... Just because you don't get it doesn't mean they're making shit up.

West Wales

S

S

That depends on the actual god in charge... some require belief as the entrance fee"

As Groucho Marx said “I wouldn’t want to be in any club that would have me as a member”.

S

Because it takes a lot to overcome thousands of years of indoctrination... and science has only been able to explain what has previously been attributed to “gods” fairly recently science is just as bad none of us normals have a clue if what there saying is true

Err... Just because you don't get it doesn't mean they're making shit up."

i know that im saying how do i know

Why should i believe cos someone told me its right just like the bible did?

Manchester (she/her)

Because it takes a lot to overcome thousands of years of indoctrination... and science has only been able to explain what has previously been attributed to “gods” fairly recently science is just as bad none of us normals have a clue if what there saying is true

Err... Just because you don't get it doesn't mean they're making shit up.i know that im saying how do i know

Why should i believe cos someone told me its right just like the bible did?"

You don't have to. Find out how the scientific method works and how things are tested and proven/ disproven. There's a process.

By *ustin time777Man  over a year ago

coalville

Nice fishing

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

"You may want to thank him for all the world's atrocities, the injustices, the unnecessary suffering. He's responsible for that too don't forget OP. "

Erm... I think you'll find us humans have managed that just fine by ourselves.

Wales/ All over UK

Err... Just because you don't get it doesn't mean they're making shit up.i know that im saying how do i know

Why should i believe cos someone told me its right just like the bible did?"

Because the results are repeatable and verifiable by others.

Again.. just because YOU don’t understand it doesn’t make it false

Err... Just because you don't get it doesn't mean they're making shit up."

heres an example the scientific accomplishments in north korea i expect will be totally different to what british kids or taught its down to trust of who is teaching you

Manchester (she/her)

Err... Just because you don't get it doesn't mean they're making shit up.heres an example the scientific accomplishments in north korea i expect will be totally different to what british kids or taught its down to trust of who is teaching you"

I'm not sure if you're being disingenuous or not. Because that's a ludicrous argument.

I respect atheists, humanists, etc. But you can't really blame God for suffering and injustice, in the world. The miracle of the earth and us being in it says it all. God is a light in darkness, not a guarantor of no suffering. Even Jesus, who tried to bring hope and love to the world was laughed at, humiliated and murdered by haters, and sceptics.

By *orksRockerMan  over a year ago

Bradford

"You may want to thank him for all the world's atrocities, the injustices, the unnecessary suffering. He's responsible for that too don't forget OP.

Erm... I think you'll find us humans have managed that just fine by ourselves."

That's the point

This site sometimes.......

Manchester (she/her)

"I respect atheists, humanists, etc. But you can't really blame God for suffering and injustice, in the world. The miracle of the earth and us being in it says it all. God is a light in darkness, not a guarantor of no suffering. Even Jesus, who tried to bring hope and love to the world was laughed at, humiliated and murdered by haters, and sceptics. "

God who is all powerful is somehow exempt from criticism because you find wonder in the world and made a blood sacrifice of his only son, despite being... all powerful?

Err... Just because you don't get it doesn't mean they're making shit up.heres an example the scientific accomplishments in north korea i expect will be totally different to what british kids or taught its down to trust of who is teaching you

I'm not sure if you're being disingenuous or not. Because that's a ludicrous argument."

why because you say so why should i believe you its the same argument my god id better than your god im just asking the question i would say science makes more sense than religion but i thought its worth thinking about is all

"You may want to thank him for all the world's atrocities, the injustices, the unnecessary suffering. He's responsible for that too don't forget OP.

Erm... I think you'll find us humans have managed that just fine by ourselves.

That's the point

This site sometimes....... "

God gave free will to humans to make their own choices good or bad,its up to humans to choose

Manchester (she/her)

Err... Just because you don't get it doesn't mean they're making shit up.heres an example the scientific accomplishments in north korea i expect will be totally different to what british kids or taught its down to trust of who is teaching you

I'm not sure if you're being disingenuous or not. Because that's a ludicrous argument.why because you say so why should i believe you its the same argument my god id better than your god im just asking the question i would say science makes more sense than religion but i thought its worth thinking about is all"

No. Because of the scientific method and the scientific process, the ways in which studies are done, hypotheses are formed and proved or disproved to levels of statistical significance. Experiments repeated.

I can't appear before you and show you how it's done, one because I'm not magic, two because I'm not a scientist, three because Covid, four because I don't want to. But I've given you enough information to find out for yourself if you choose to. The internet has lots of information.

West Wales

Take two women

Yes I did

I did not say that

Did not think I would have to spell that one out friend."

But are you not assuming that a book written by men is 100% accurate to what a God wants when I for instance think it as stuck in there because the church anted you do bad things to people without having to pay a price.

My monies on that bitch getting to the door & the doorman saying “You have got to be fcking kidding!” As they pull the lever for the trapdoor.

S

By *reemindCoolMan  over a year ago

between Barnsley and Wakefield

And I believe I am an ape without the fur suite

Wales/ All over UK

"And I believe I am an ape without the fur suite

"

A fur suite may be warm, but would prefer the fabric one in my living room thanks

If God exists they would be photo verified at least.

Manchester (she/her)

"If God exists they would be photo verified at least."

I'm not sure if you're being disingenuous or not. Because that's a ludicrous argument.why because you say so why should i believe you its the same argument my god id better than your god im just asking the question i would say science makes more sense than religion but i thought its worth thinking about is all

No. Because of the scientific method and the scientific process, the ways in which studies are done, hypotheses are formed and proved or disproved to levels of statistical significance. Experiments repeated.

I can't appear before you and show you how it's done, one because I'm not magic, two because I'm not a scientist, three because Covid, four because I don't want to. But I've given you enough information to find out for yourself if you choose to. The internet has lots of information. "

is the internet truthful? Im kidding il leave you alone now i can feel you getting annoyed

Manchester (she/her)

I'm not sure if you're being disingenuous or not. Because that's a ludicrous argument.why because you say so why should i believe you its the same argument my god id better than your god im just asking the question i would say science makes more sense than religion but i thought its worth thinking about is all

I can't appear before you and show you how it's done, one because I'm not magic, two because I'm not a scientist, three because Covid, four because I don't want to. But I've given you enough information to find out for yourself if you choose to. The internet has lots of information. is the internet truthful? Im kidding il leave you alone now i can feel you getting annoyed "

You can find reliable sources.

I hope you're joking but if you're not, I hope I've been of assistance.

What if God was one of us?

[Removed by poster at 23/10/20 20:41:25]

I can't appear before you and show you how it's done, one because I'm not magic, two because I'm not a scientist, three because Covid, four because I don't want to. But I've given you enough information to find out for yourself if you choose to. The internet has lots of information. is the internet truthful? Im kidding il leave you alone now i can feel you getting annoyed

You can find reliable sources.

I hope you're joking but if you're not, I hope I've been of assistance."

i was just playing devil's whatshisface as its a god thread thought it perfect time for it

West Wales

"What if God was one of us? "

Just a slob like one of us?

Wales/ All over UK

"What if God was one of us?

Just a slob like one of us?"

Just a stranger on the bus?

By *egasus NobMan  over a year ago

Merton

I believe something exists we can call god, however, I also believe we are a god in ourselves. What we call god, I believe does not have any bearing on our behaviour. We are a grain of sand in the spectrum of things.

WHICH god are you all talking about? There's supposedly loads to pick from.

"WHICH god are you all talking about? There's supposedly loads to pick from. "

the fluffy beard one, great gal.

Irony- A creationist at a petrol pump

By *teveanddebsCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

"Then id like to ask the sick son of a bitch how he justifies giving babies cancer hes the biggest terrorist the universe ever created if thats the case not to mention the amount of wars waged in his name yet people actually celebrate the sick prick if he does exist i challenge him to get of his arse make himself mortal and come get the justice that he deserves but he would be too much of a coward for that hiding in the sky having others do stuff for him anyway hows your friday good? "

This needs a 'Like' emoji

God loves a trainer (Nikeface)

imagine you are just a tear in gods eye...

or a particle of fart

"Then id like to ask the sick son of a bitch how he justifies giving babies cancer hes the biggest terrorist the universe ever created if thats the case not to mention the amount of wars waged in his name yet people actually celebrate the sick prick if he does exist i challenge him to get of his arse make himself mortal and come get the justice that he deserves but he would be too much of a coward for that hiding in the sky having others do stuff for him anyway hows your friday good?

This needs a 'Like' emoji "

This is where being a former Catholic comes into play.

I gave up believing at a young age asking myself the very same questions. Especially when it comes to being a dick to other cultures and gay people but chalking up every misfortune like r*pe, miscarriage and death to "gods plan"

That's why satanism, wicca and pagenism is so appealing, holds people to account for their actions rather blaming their imaginary friend.

By *idnight_Express69Man  over a year ago

Rochdale

Because he ‘moves in mysterious ways’, silly!

Or because he doesn’t exist and because disabilities are just quirks of nature and genetic, while famine, floods and plagues are all natural disasters that come, quite literally, with the territory

"Then id like to ask the sick son of a bitch how he justifies giving babies cancer hes the biggest terrorist the universe ever created if thats the case not to mention the amount of wars waged in his name yet people actually celebrate the sick prick if he does exist i challenge him to get of his arse make himself mortal and come get the justice that he deserves but he would be too much of a coward for that hiding in the sky having others do stuff for him anyway hows your friday good?

This needs a 'Like' emoji

This is where being a former Catholic comes into play.

I gave up believing at a young age asking myself the very same questions. Especially when it comes to being a dick to other cultures and gay people but chalking up every misfortune like r*pe, miscarriage and death to "gods plan"

That's why satanism, wicca and pagenism is so appealing, holds people to account for their actions rather blaming their imaginary friend. "

watch the atheists experience on youtube

you'll burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrn

By *penbicoupleCouple  over a year ago

Northampton

Nature includes murder hornets and hurricanes and cancer and paedophiles. It's precisely why I don't believe in god!

"I'm glad you have your beliefs."

Having faith is good for your state of mind and helps you cope with the occasional trauma..

By *acavityMan  over a year ago

Redditch

Religions dont start wars.its how people interpret it."

I'll accept Stalin as an Atheist, but Hitler was definitely using religious imagery as part of his ideology.

"Gott mit uns" was on the belt buckle.

Ooh ah Paul McGrath. I said ooh ah Paul McGrath.

By *all me FlikWoman  over a year ago

Galaxy Far Far Away

I always liked Stephen Fry’s outlook on this

Which is based on literally nothing written in the Bible or in any Christian teaching"

You shouldn't confuse the existence of any god with man made religions...two different things.