How do you get rid of them?

They weren't there last week

Now I have a patch of garden about a metre with 6 or 7 clumps, big buggers too

I want rid - permanently

Any ideas?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *uriouscouple83Couple  over a year ago

Worcester

They are a good thing and should be embraced in my opinion as all fungi serve a purpose but if you want them gone there are a few options.

Picking them off rarely works as there will be a network of mycelium under the surface so you need to deal with what they are breaking down.

1) de-thatch your lawn, this reduces organic matter which they feed on.

2) clear leaf litter frequently.

3) check below the surface for any rotting wood or tree roots that they are feeding on.

4) nitrogen rich fertiliser will speed up the decomposition of organic matter and remove the food source (Won’t work if it’s a slow release fertiliser).

Hope that’s of some help.

Mr.

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

If on the lawn then raking it and picking up the grass trimmings etc should help

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"They are a good thing and should be embraced in my opinion as all fungi serve a purpose but if you want them gone there are a few options.

Picking them off rarely works as there will be a network of mycelium under the surface so you need to deal with what they are breaking down.

1) de-thatch your lawn, this reduces organic matter which they feed on.

2) clear leaf litter frequently.

3) check below the surface for any rotting wood or tree roots that they are feeding on.

4) nitrogen rich fertiliser will speed up the decomposition of organic matter and remove the food source (Won’t work if it’s a slow release fertiliser).

Hope that’s of some help.

Mr. "

Thank You

There are no trees in my garden, but it is on a slight incline and has a wall at the lowest point

From what you've said, they're more than likely a function of it being the 'wettest' part of the garden and the most sheltered cos of the wall

There is a lot of leaves because my next door neighbours garden is like a jungle and he doesn't care for it

That plus living on the side of a hill with no natural windbreaks, all sorts gets blown in

They don't bother me - I just don't want the dog treating himself to a light snack

Thanks again

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Whats the problem.here?

By *orthern StarsCouple  over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

Try roundup. It may kill them off for good.

By *callycatMan  over a year ago

Mid Wales

If they really are wild mushrooms, just celebrate and enjoy them for breakfast.

If they are not edible enjoy them for their seasonal beauty.

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

"If they really are wild mushrooms, just celebrate and enjoy them for breakfast.

If they are not edible enjoy them for their seasonal beauty. "

But not all wild mushrooms are edible. Some are highly toxic.

Spray the mushroom with diluted white vinegar should kill it off. Not sure if malt vinegar works. Be careful of surrounding plant life though.

Worcester

"Thank You

There are no trees in my garden, but it is on a slight incline and has a wall at the lowest point

From what you've said, they're more than likely a function of it being the 'wettest' part of the garden and the most sheltered cos of the wall

There is a lot of leaves because my next door neighbours garden is like a jungle and he doesn't care for it

That plus living on the side of a hill with no natural windbreaks, all sorts gets blown in

They don't bother me - I just don't want the dog treating himself to a light snack

Thanks again "

I’ve never had a problem with our dog eating them but he’s usually too busy chasing rabbits, pheasants and squirrels to notice them.

If improving the drainage in that spot isn’t an option then it’s down to raking the leaves and picking the fungus off before they get a chance to spread more spores.

It may be worth (but tricky) to try and identify what sort you have and if they are poisonous.

Worcester

"If they really are wild mushrooms, just celebrate and enjoy them for breakfast.

If they are not edible enjoy them for their seasonal beauty.

But not all wild mushrooms are edible. Some are highly toxic.

Spray the mushroom with diluted white vinegar should kill it off. Not sure if malt vinegar works. Be careful of surrounding plant life though."

I have heard soap and water works but have never tried it.

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

Put one of those plastic head funnels on the dog,

He can't eat them and you don't have to harm nature so it's win win

» Add a new message to this topic