FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Sat Nav Map Upgrade or New Device?

Sat Nav Map Upgrade or New Device?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

My Tom Tom is nearly 6 years old, and the sound has recently stopped working completely.

I am about to go on a long road trip and was planning to get just the map upgrade as I could still use the device even without the sound.

Then I found out the map upgrade is only about 30 GBP less than a completely new device with current maps!!!

With the advancement in GPS hard and software in the past few years, my hunch is that I should bite the bullet and get a new device, as it would run faster with better display and better maps etc...

Your help and advice will be much appreciated, thank you.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ittletonCplCouple  over a year ago

cannock

Map upgrades not worth it. Our house is 4 years old and still not on the maps.

I'd go for a factory reconditioned Tom Tom ...

By *uby In StockingsTV/TS  over a year ago

Cheadle

Based on what you have told us, if I were you I would go for the new one sweetie, have fun and make sure you test it out before using it on your long journey, and always, always have a map in your boot, hugzzies, xxxx

By *aceytopWoman  over a year ago

from a town near you

it would be of no help to me Pearl,i argue with them and then get even more lost

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"My Tom Tom is nearly 6 years old, and the sound has recently stopped working completely.

I am about to go on a long road trip and was planning to get just the map upgrade as I could still use the device even without the sound.

Then I found out the map upgrade is only about 30 GBP less than a completely new device with current maps!!!

With the advancement in GPS hard and software in the past few years, my hunch is that I should bite the bullet and get a new device, as it would run faster with better display and better maps etc...

"

Tesco's do a 5" tom tom with all the euro maps for £108 and up to date maps. We have just upgraded after 4 years and impressed with it so if you area tom tom fan its a nice easy change with quite a number of extras.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

if you have a smartphone... they may well be other alternatives for now until you decide on what to do.....

By *ishopstippleMan  over a year ago

Purley

Just DONT buy the TT 1005 even the v2 it lags horibley at, any speed over 20mph so you get the instruction to turn at the next junction when the correct one is the one youve just passed.

at 70mps it say in 900m... as you've just passed the 200m marker. Also the up to date maps don't show road that have been in exsistance for 5 or more years.

capacative screen is no better than the resistive ones and multi-touch doesnt work.

"Just DONT buy the TT 1005 even the v2 it lags horibley at, any speed over 20mph so you get the instruction to turn at the next junction when the correct one is the one youve just passed.

at 70mps it say in 900m... as you've just passed the 200m marker. Also the up to date maps don't show road that have been in exsistance for 5 or more years.

capacative screen is no better than the resistive ones and multi-touch doesnt work."

Whats a TT 1005?

By *ovedupstillCouple  over a year ago

mullinwire

yeah, be careful what you wish for as even new ones maps arent actually up to date as new roads are being built as we speak.

my 4 year old doesnt recognise all of the a1(m) lol.

i just use common sense and my eyes.

oh, and never ave the bloody sound on anyway cuz its annoying, so you are better off without it.

bought a truck dedicated one not long ago and its nowhere near as good as my garmin.

"Based on what you have told us, if I were you I would go for the new one sweetie, have fun and make sure you test it out before using it on your long journey, and always, always have a map in your boot, hugzzies, xxxx "

yep maps are invaluable when face with sudden snarl ups.

By *tensonSwingersCouple  over a year ago

Stenson Fields

"My Tom Tom is nearly 6 years old, and the sound has recently stopped working completely.

"

Never used a sat-nav since smartphones came out. Most smartphones use Google-maps, which works exactly the same as a sat-nav and is updated constantly...you can even download different voices that direct you if you choose.

"yeah, be careful what you wish for as even new ones maps arent actually up to date as new roads are being built as we speak.

my 4 year old doesnt recognise all of the a1(m) lol.

i just use common sense and my eyes.

oh, and never ave the bloody sound on anyway cuz its annoying, so you are better off without it.

bought a truck dedicated one not long ago and its nowhere near as good as my garmin."

specting a bit much aren't ya, a 4 year old is just beginning to take an interest in words!

By *tensonSwingersCouple  over a year ago

Stenson Fields

"Map upgrades not worth it. Our house is 4 years old and still not on the maps.

I'd go for a factory reconditioned Tom Tom ..."

Walsall is permanently left off sat-navs, encouraging people to talk 'yam yam' is against the law now dontcha know?

"it would be of no help to me Pearl,i argue with them and then get even more lost "
ours now lives in a field just outside preston

Never used a sat-nav since smartphones came out. Most smartphones use Google-maps, which works exactly the same as a sat-nav and is updated constantly...you can even download different voices that direct you if you choose. "

thats fine if you only travel in the uk, if your abroard you have to leave roaming on for the internet otherwise it wont work

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

thats fine if you only travel in the uk, if your abroard you have to leave roaming on for the internet otherwise it wont work"

if pearl was going abroad then I would agree not worth using smartphone.. but if staying within the uk then I use a sat nav on my smartphone and it works fine......

By *ap AdgeMan  over a year ago

Wirral

buy a new one same here had a becker one about 4 years old now

Just stop and ask someone the way they Will not tell you the right way to go but you get to talk to lots of people and see more of the country that you would not other wise see.

Purley

Tomtom 1005

i found it was cheaper to bu a garmin recently as they sold it with lifetime free updates in the uk.

By *amschwingerzCouple  over a year ago

West

Tell you one thing...upgrading online from the TomTom site is a real pain in the bollocks!

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

Latest TomTom gives real time traffic updates and suggests alternative routes to save even a few minutes - its total bliss!

Purley

"Latest TomTom gives real time traffic updates and suggests alternative routes to save even a few minutes - its total bliss!"

yep agree thats why i bought one i needed the "LIVE" feture. but im disapponited by its other performance and telling me to turn after ive passed the junction or not giving me enough time to manouvre

So please tell us which tomtom model do you have ?

By *leasureDomeMan  over a year ago

all over the place

got a tom tom live Europe recon from tom tom, free updates and traffic for a year,saved us 2hrs 45 mins on way back on journey across europe routing us around traffic ,i love it.the latest software update also made it really fast to lock on to sats.

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

our sat navs taken us to some lovely places,not places we wanted to go,but lovely non the less.

can sat navs get dementia ??

"

The sound gave up completely on my Tom-Tom, I reset it and the sound came back again. xx

I may not be able to get a new one now as I believe the car needs a new tyre or two, at 125 GBP a pop!

"I may not be able to get a new one now as I believe the car needs a new tyre or two, at 125 GBP a pop! "

Feel your pain, recently changed all 4 of mine. £540 all in.

"I may not be able to get a new one now as I believe the car needs a new tyre or two, at 125 GBP a pop!

Feel your pain, recently changed all 4 of mine. £540 all in. "

All 4 in one go, oh dear! On the upside, we don't have to worry about punctures with the run-flats.

Shop online for your tyres

That's the going rate for run-flats for our cars.

"I may not be able to get a new one now as I believe the car needs a new tyre or two, at 125 GBP a pop!

Feel your pain, recently changed all 4 of mine. £540 all in.

All 4 in one go, oh dear! On the upside, we don't have to worry about punctures with the run-flats.

"

two of mine had nails in them, near the tyre wall so had to change them and the other two were near the legal limit.

Two of mine deflate slowly, and I have to pump them up at least once a week without setting off the run-flat indicator.

One is getting close to the legal limit for certain, and it may not last the trip up to Scotland and back.

Dont know what car you have - but if it is a popular model you can often source a good set of partially used tyres from your local car dismantler

Recently put 4 part worn tyres on my Merc 4x4 - 45 euro each and all four have approx 60- 70% tread left.

Purley

"I may not be able to get a new one now as I believe the car needs a new tyre or two, at 125 GBP a pop! "

Tyres are the only thing that keeps ypur car on the road and enables it to stop quickly when needed.

So the rubber uses tread pattern etc is VERY important your life and someone elses may depend on it. So how much is life and safety worth ? given you will get some thing like 20,000 miles, how much is that per mile ? - answer damn cheap.

Premium tyre are at a price that reflects development and production costs. check out AutoCar tyre tests they do them each year. Then compare the good and bad ones and then tell me they are expensive.

» Add a new message to this topic