FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Learning to play piano

Learning to play piano

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I bought myself a piano keyboard shirtly before lockdown and was enjoying teaching myself, following a book I bought online. I lost my way way with it and would like to picknit up again. Can anyone recommend a good book or online course?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I learnt via youtube. Theres loads of tutorial series on there and its usefull to pause playback and practice those hard spots.

i found it a good way to learn to read music. Im far from good but i feel im ready to have afew one on one sessions.

"I bought myself a piano keyboard shirtly before lockdown and was enjoying teaching myself, following a book I bought online. I lost my way way with it and would like to picknit up again. Can anyone recommend a good book or online course?

"

What style do you wish to learn?

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

When I went to Boarding School aged 7, ma Dad asked me if I wanted to learn a musical instrument. I said yes, the piano, so he bought me a guitar. When I went to ma next school aged 13, they hadn't got a guitar tutor, so he bought me a trumpet!

Therefore I can play all 3, very badly

"I bought myself a piano keyboard shirtly before lockdown and was enjoying teaching myself, following a book I bought online. I lost my way way with it and would like to picknit up again. Can anyone recommend a good book or online course?

What style do you wish to learn?"

Im not sure Im ready to pick a style. Its nice to play everyday recognisable tunes but I would live to play some classical music.

What style do you wish to learn?

Im not sure Im ready to pick a style. Its nice to play everyday recognisable tunes but I would live to play some classical music."

Classical is great for you scales and chords and very regimented rhythm which you can then use in pop as it is very simplified repeated patterns.

Jazz is great of improvisation and learning blues chords and getting them to fit in the moment and you can use that to ‘pep up’ your popular stuff etc.

This is all in my opinion of course, their will be plenty along to say otherwise but at the end of the day it is all about your and your style

I used to have some videos of me playing on here (I started as a mid life crisis so they are not great, but I enjoy playing) but hid them after a few ‘ I sat though your all your videos and not one of them is you wanking’ type of PM’s ... read the profile ..... they are not meant for you!!!

Hugh Laurie said something on twitter yesterday about learning the piano he said- ‘ it’s not like building a wall, brick by brick. Much closer to cutting down a tree. It doesn’t fall a little with every swing of the axe. It stands firm, upright, unassailable, and you think it’ll never go. But it will...‘

In other words stick with it

Look up playgroundsessions.com

It's a cheap way of learning online

Thank you al for your recommendations

"Thank you al for your recommendations "

Do it, you will enjoy it. I have a tutor (by WhatsApp at the moment) purely to force me to practise. Without that I would have put it off and eventually given up. I wish you luck with your lessons and keep those fingers nice and supple

Its probably one of the best decisions in life you can make, learn to play and lots of practice

I've got a tutor who is reasonably cheap, go to his house once a month for an hour lesson.

He always sends me home with about 40 pages of things to learn before the next session... half hour a night is plenty

By *lirtymr_mrsCouple  over a year ago

Stockton-on-Tees

If you have an (electric) piano with MIDI out and a computer you can download a program called synthesia. It works like the guitar hero games and can also play along with you (e.g. playing left hand notes). It makes things a bit more fun having a score to beat and it's nice to have an accompanyment to more complex songs so that not everything you do as a beginner sounds rubbish.

No substitute for practice, but gives a bit more variety.

@J105

How are you getting on with it?

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

I (Luke) am a piano teacher.

The book I use is John Thompson's Easiest Piano Course. It goes at just the right pace.

I always recommend lessons over self-learning, but I guess I'm biased.

Definitely try YouTube, I've learnt loads from it

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

"Definitely try YouTube, I've learnt loads from it"

I know at least one pupil of mine who learned from the Internet and I have had to correct some pretty bad habits, so be careful.

"@J105

How are you getting on with it? "

I havnt had a chance to start again this week - work and dad taxi. Im putting some time aside over the weekend

» Add a new message to this topic