FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Condensation and damp

Condensation and damp

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I’ve got condensation on my windows in the mornings, at this time of year do you think it’s better to open the windows or leave them closed with a dehumidifier going, I’ve Googled this but nothings very clear, if you have the same problem what do you do ?!

This is the only serious thread I will ever do, normal service will be resumed.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

We try and have the windows open 30 mins a day for this reason. Obviously as it gets cooler this isn't possible so we remove as much condensation as possible with one of those hoovery, sucking up gadgets, open bedroom windows and run the dehumidifier elsewhere.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Also we don't dry washing indoors and always run the extractor hood in the kitchen when cooking.

Condensation is a pain in the bum.

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

I've found leaving the windows open for a little bit better than a dehumidifier. Especially if it's a bit windy outside.

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

And I tend to shower with the window open to get rid of the worst of the steam

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Single glazed windows?

Leave a window or afew windows on the latch. Do you have your heating off and on (that causes it together with poor ventilation) have it at a constant steady heat on a thermostat and leave your windows on the latch during the day

"Also we don't dry washing indoors and always run the extractor hood in the kitchen when cooking.

Condensation is a pain in the bum. "

I know when it gets closer to winter you’re just letting damp air in by opening the windows, but wasn’t sure with it being the start of autumn

"Single glazed windows?"

I’ve got double mostly

Put the heating on

"And I tend to shower with the window open to get rid of the worst of the steam "

Yeah, I do the same

"Put the heating on"

It’s not cold

to get rid of the condensation?

"Leave a window or afew windows on the latch. Do you have your heating off and on (that causes it together with poor ventilation) have it at a constant steady heat on a thermostat and leave your windows on the latch during the day "

Yeah, I have it off all day, the heating that is, just have it on in the evenings

By *mnipotent_BehemothMan  over a year ago

near Merry Hill shopping centre

Ventilation is the key to cure condensation, modern levels of insulation trap moisture into the building and the only way to clear effectively is ventilation, wherever you get a ‘cold bridge’ this will show as condensation better on the windows than in the fabric of the building which can cause real and very expensive damage.

Get the trickle vents open on the windows, or open a bit.

As an aside just bare in mind that Covid guidance is that dry environments assist the spread of the disease so an increased relative humidity isn’t a bad thing at the moment, I’d avoid the dehumidifier option.

By *ticky 69Man  over a year ago

Stirling

Not criticising the cleanliness of your home, but condensation forms more readily on dirty windows, so might be worth cleaning the inside windows.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Also we don't dry washing indoors and always run the extractor hood in the kitchen when cooking.

Condensation is a pain in the bum.

I know when it gets closer to winter you’re just letting damp air in by opening the windows, but wasn’t sure with it being the start of autumn "

We've noticed that at this time of year windows open mid morning helps. Past about 2pm it doesn't.

We've found that breathing is a major cause but haven't found a way to stop that yet... apart from the obvious

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

My bathroom & kitchen windows are slightly open all year round, as well as my bedroom window 99% of the time. In addition, in the bathroom and bedroom I have moisture absorbers. These combinations seem to keep us condensation free

"Not criticising the cleanliness of your home, but condensation forms more readily on dirty windows, so might be worth cleaning the inside windows."

Cleaning sounds like a drastic measure

"Leave a window or afew windows on the latch. Do you have your heating off and on (that causes it together with poor ventilation) have it at a constant steady heat on a thermostat and leave your windows on the latch during the day

Yeah, I have it off all day, the heating that is, just have it on in the evenings "

That will more than likely be the issue also costs more to run heating like that if you set it at a moderate temp (i have mine at 21°c) your home stays warm and dry. Also leave a window slightly ajar upstairs. It should stop doing it within a week.

Yoyo'ing you homes temperature causes condensation issues.

By *mnipotent_BehemothMan  over a year ago

near Merry Hill shopping centre

"My bathroom & kitchen windows are slightly open all year round, as well as my bedroom window 99% of the time. In addition, in the bathroom and bedroom I have moisture absorbers. These combinations seem to keep us condensation free "
you can get two speed fans for bathrooms that run at a low level continuously but if you put the light on or the humidity rises they will run at normal speed.

"Leave a window or afew windows on the latch. Do you have your heating off and on (that causes it together with poor ventilation) have it at a constant steady heat on a thermostat and leave your windows on the latch during the day

Yeah, I have it off all day, the heating that is, just have it on in the evenings

That will more than likely be the issue also costs more to run heating like that if you set it at a moderate temp (i have mine at 21°c) your home stays warm and dry. Also leave a window slightly ajar upstairs. It should stop doing it within a week.

Yoyo'ing you homes temperature causes condensation issues. "

It’s the joys of living in a cottage

By *ticky 69Man  over a year ago

Stirling

"Not criticising the cleanliness of your home, but condensation forms more readily on dirty windows, so might be worth cleaning the inside windows.

Cleaning sounds like a drastic measure "

I'm sure you'd suit a pair of marigolds

You could always try a sample, one window, and compare results?

By *andy2Man  over a year ago

Ealing

Windows open

Can’t beat nature

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

I live in a big, old building with really thick walls and while I'm grateful for tge double glazing gor the warmth, it has made the condensation problems worse. We have an electric dehumidifier in the bedroom and the disposable ones in the bottom of the wardrobe. The edge of wardrobe is also pulled about a foot away from the external wall as that wall seems to have the worst problems as it nearly never gets any sun either. We found that sleeping with the bedroom door open has helped. We also leave the bathroom window wide open and close the door for as long as possible after showering and leave the bathroom extractor fan on for most of the day.

MOIST!!! Very MOIST!!

It depends how much you care about the property. If it's your house then invest in some extractor fans and get windows with trickle vents, and bump up the heating (don't scrimp, it's not worth the energy saving!).

If it's a rental just bosh some passive dehumidifiers in the windows and replace them every time they fill up with water. Stops the mould.

By *innie The MinxWoman  over a year ago

Under the Duvet

"I've found leaving the windows open for a little bit better than a dehumidifier. Especially if it's a bit windy outside. "

Same, I've got huge bay windows in the lounge, used to be like Niagara Falls in the morning.

Now I leave one window open a crack and it's nowhere near as bad.

It's the breathing. My bedroom window used to have condensation on it in a morning so now I sleep in a different room and my bedroom window is fine.

If it’s your property as well as opening windows first thing and wiping away the condensation I recommend installing some vents in the actual walls. Allows a small amount of constant ventilation - the ones that can be closed help to stop draughts if windy.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

"My bathroom & kitchen windows are slightly open all year round, as well as my bedroom window 99% of the time. In addition, in the bathroom and bedroom I have moisture absorbers. These combinations seem to keep us condensation free you can get two speed fans for bathrooms that run at a low level continuously but if you put the light on or the humidity rises they will run at normal speed. "

Thanks but I’m quite happy with the natural air flow

By *uds1Couple  over a year ago

lanark

Bedroom windows open all night come hail or snow

By *m NormalMan  over a year ago

Telford

Condensation can be attributed to various factors.

In a modern well maintained house with cavity walls and double glazing, that moisture is produced inside by humans, pets, washing and drying of any type, poor ventilation.

All other houses can have the same problem plus; if the walls are solid moisture is drawn inside by evaporation from the inside. This is exasperated by heating and dehumidifiers.

Building faults: houses built without cavity insulation and added later can suffer damp because the cavity filling is faulty and bridges the original air gap allowing moisture to go through the walls. Leaking gutters cause damp inside. Excessively porous external bricks or other materials including the later addition of render and stone work contribute to damp inside.

Early signs of failed damp proof course cause damp. Broken roof tiles/slate cause damp.

I've probably missed something that causes damp. The main cause of condensation in a bedroom is excessive physical exertion during sex. The answer to that is to adopt a more relaxed and refined method of sex where you can have plenty of satisfaction without all the physical activity, that's what I like to do.

i leave a window open a little.

By *9alMan  over a year ago

Bridgend

I have one of those 2 speed fans in the bathroom it does a good job & is warmer than leaving a window open

I get this in my underwear daily

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Keep window cracked open a little x

Under the Duvet

"Condensation can be attributed to various factors.

In a modern well maintained house with cavity walls and double glazing, that moisture is produced inside by humans, pets, washing and drying of any type, poor ventilation.

All other houses can have the same problem plus; if the walls are solid moisture is drawn inside by evaporation from the inside. This is exasperated by heating and dehumidifiers.

Building faults: houses built without cavity insulation and added later can suffer damp because the cavity filling is faulty and bridges the original air gap allowing moisture to go through the walls. Leaking gutters cause damp inside. Excessively porous external bricks or other materials including the later addition of render and stone work contribute to damp inside.

Early signs of failed damp proof course cause damp. Broken roof tiles/slate cause damp.

I've probably missed something that causes damp. The main cause of condensation in a bedroom is excessive physical exertion during sex. The answer to that is to adopt a more relaxed and refined method of sex where you can have plenty of satisfaction without all the physical activity, that's what I like to do."

Very comprehensive

I have upstairs windows open every day, run the dehumidifier every night and it still collects nearly 2 litres of water each night!

Under the Duvet

"I have upstairs windows open every day, run the dehumidifier every night and it still collects nearly 2 litres of water each night! "

Blimey! Do you live under the sea?

Yoyo'ing you homes temperature causes condensation issues.

It’s the joys of living in a cottage "

Cottage dweller here too, can't have heating at the flick of a switch, gotta chop and lug wood about.

"I have upstairs windows open every day, run the dehumidifier every night and it still collects nearly 2 litres of water each night!

Blimey! Do you live under the sea?

"

Haha sounds like it!

I have single glazed windows (listed building) and just use a window vac and then open a few windows a bit.

By *essie.Woman  over a year ago

Serendipity

Open the window a little, it will help with condensation. Don’t dry clothes on the radiators.

Close the bathroom door after a shower or bath, as the steam looks for the coldest part of the house. And don’t turn off the extractor fan which loads of people do.

My windows are awful now it's getting colder

I dry them every morning and open them all for a bit.

The heating set on a thermostat works best - mine's now set at 20.

Turning the heating on and off costs more money than leaving it on a thermostat.

"Condensation can be attributed to various factors.

I've probably missed something that causes damp. The main cause of condensation in a bedroom is excessive physical exertion during sex. The answer to that is to adopt a more relaxed and refined method of sex where you can have plenty of satisfaction without all the physical activity, that's what I like to do."

That last tip wouldn’t suit me Lol. I have tenants that I issue with written condensation advice when they start renting, I can just imagine the looks I’d get if I added the sex one

» Add a new message to this topic