FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Strong opinions with limited knowledge

Strong opinions with limited knowledge

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Do you have any strong opinions on things you know nothing about, if you do let’s hear them here.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I have strong opinions on people I know nothing about....does that count

By *uriouscouple83Couple  over a year ago

Worcester

Have you been in the virus forum?

"Have you been in the virus forum?"

"Have you been in the virus forum?"

Just on social media in general

"I have strong opinions on people I know nothing about....does that count

"

Yes, Very much so

By *asmeenTV/TS  over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

No

"I have strong opinions on people I know nothing about....does that count

Yes, Very much so"

Not for public knowledge my fabulous darling of a man

By *oeBeansMan  over a year ago

Derby

If you have such strong opinions, would you know you have limited knowledge in the subject?

That's just willful ignorance...

By *rincess peachWoman  over a year ago

shits creek

yes.

I have very strong opinions regarding cheating.

I'm not foolish enough to think I'm an expert on individual circumstances, however I'm perfectly qualified to stamp my feet and express how I have been impacted by it.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"If you have such strong opinions, would you know you have limited knowledge in the subject?

That's just willful ignorance..."

It's Dunning Kruger syndrome. It's very common.

"If you have such strong opinions, would you know you have limited knowledge in the subject?

That's just willful ignorance..."

Welcome to the digital age

By *assage_MusicCouple  over a year ago

South East

I have limited knowledge about black holes, but hold a very strong view that Steven Hawkins was deemed a scientists mainly because if his disability. If it wasn't for this fact, his research on the subject, in all honesty, is pretty mediocre...

It's Dunning Kruger syndrome. It's very common."

It’s rife

An opinion is an opinion

Derby

It's Dunning Kruger syndrome. It's very common."

After a quick Google search, I now know everything about this

Manchester (she/her)

After a quick Google search, I now know everything about this "

STOKE ON TRENT

I have strong opinions on things that concern me and I know about other what's the point.

STOKE ON TRENT

"I have strong opinions on things that concern me and I know about other what's the point."

*other wise

"An opinion is an opinion "

Yep, doesn’t mean I have to give it any Creedence.

By *ockosaurusMan  over a year ago

Warwick

I was cutting some really strong onions earlier. My eyes were weeping and I nearly cut myself.

Really don't know how to do it any better, so I'd love more knowledge on that!

"An opinion is an opinion

Yep, doesn’t mean I have to give it any Creedence."

exactly

By *dam1971Man  over a year ago

Bedford

"Do you have any strong opinions on things you know nothing about, if you do let’s hear them here."

You mean like priest going on about sin?

Or is that not a great example?

It’s rife "

Especially on here.

"Do you have any strong opinions on things you know nothing about, if you do let’s hear them here.

Or is that not a great example?"

I dunno, maybe, think I’ve taken on more than I’m prepared to think about at this hour.

By *eliWoman  over a year ago

Read any thread about slightly controversial topics and you'll find the people who do.

"Read any thread about slightly controversial topics and you'll find the people who do. "

Yeah, the worst thing is when you have knowledge on a subject, cause it’s only then you realise how much bollocks gets spouted.

"Do you have any strong opinions on things you know nothing about, if you do let’s hear them here.

Or is that not a great example?

I dunno, maybe, think I’ve taken on more than I’m prepared to think about at this hour."

You really have

By *eliWoman  over a year ago

"Read any thread about slightly controversial topics and you'll find the people who do.

Yeah, the worst thing is when you have knowledge on a subject, cause it’s only then you realise how much bollocks gets spouted."

Yep. I don't think I have all the knowledge but I know I have a fair deal more than the crap spouted at times. I tend to avoid certain threads now (unless I can't keep sitting on my hands) because it's just a bit futile. Mellow Meli remains.

By *agic tongue mike.Man  over a year ago

Canterbury

"Read any thread about slightly controversial topics and you'll find the people who do.

Yeah, the worst thing is when you have knowledge on a subject, cause it’s only then you realise how much bollocks gets spouted."

Yep there certainly is a whole lot of that spouted out these days. Makes me wonder about evolution of our species, if it ever happened. Lol.

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

It’s rife

Especially on here."

Not just here - it's an internet forum thing generally - people proclaim themselves expert on all manner of things....the phrase "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" was way ahead of it's time

Derby

Yeah, the worst thing is when you have knowledge on a subject, cause it’s only then you realise how much bollocks gets spouted.

Yep there certainly is a whole lot of that spouted out these days. Makes me wonder about evolution of our species, if it ever happened. Lol.

"

I don't think there's more spouted out, but social media has just given them a widespread platform whereas before, they would just be in their own little, weird social circles

Yep. I don't think I have all the knowledge but I know I have a fair deal more than the crap spouted at times. I tend to avoid certain threads now (unless I can't keep sitting on my hands) because it's just a bit futile. Mellow Meli remains. "

Yeah, I’ve finally learnt to stay away from certain threads now for the same reason, took awhile to work it out.

I don't think there's more spouted out, but social media has just given them a widespread platform whereas before, they would just be in their own little, weird social circles "

The man in the pub can air his uniformed opinions to everyone now.

By *nigmatic_AngelWoman  over a year ago

The place where fairies live

It’s rife

Especially on here.

Not just here - it's an internet forum thing generally - people proclaim themselves expert on all manner of things....the phrase "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" was way ahead of it's time "

Like Facebook Karen who is obviously highly trained in "the Rona'"

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

I have strong opinions on things i know a lot about. I hold my opinion on things i know nothing about. I will occasionally offer a comment on things that others force to be my business.

It’s rife

Especially on here.

Not just here - it's an internet forum thing generally - people proclaim themselves expert on all manner of things....the phrase "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" was way ahead of it's time

Like Facebook Karen who is obviously highly trained in "the Rona'" "

Exactly, and is one reason I avoid the Virus thread

By *ink Panther.Woman  over a year ago

Preston

It’s rife

Especially on here.

Exactly, and is one reason I avoid the Virus thread "

A few of those have reduced me to tears recently

Stockport

"I have limited knowledge about black holes, but hold a very strong view that Steven Hawkins was deemed a scientists mainly because if his disability. If it wasn't for this fact, his research on the subject, in all honesty, is pretty mediocre... "

Funny, the time i met him was before he had become totally disabled, and before he had become widely known outside of astrophysics circles. And it certainly seemed then that a good number of his peers were of the opinion that his work was anything but mediocre...

STOKE ON TRENT

I don't think there's more spouted out, but social media has just given them a widespread platform whereas before, they would just be in their own little, weird social circles

The man in the pub can air his uniformed opinions to everyone now."

Yeah the pubs are open

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

Nope I just defer that to all of the experts on SnapFace.

By *ntrepid ExplorersCouple  over a year ago

Birmingham

I'd say "The Muppet Show wasn't actually funny", but that's fact and I have all the knowledge about that.

It’s rife

Especially on here.

Not just here - it's an internet forum thing generally - people proclaim themselves expert on all manner of things....the phrase "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" was way ahead of it's time "

Especially on here by the same people.

'An opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement that is not conclusive, rather than facts which are true statements.'

Surely an opinion and knowledge are two seperate things?

I can state an opinion about anything regardless of knowledge.

Perhaps the question should be 'Do you pass your strong opinions off as facts on things you know nothing about?'

It’s rife

Especially on here.

Exactly, and is one reason I avoid the Virus thread

A few of those have reduced me to tears recently "

That is what they want...to instill fear and upset into the hearts of ordinary folk.

By *ntrepid ExplorersCouple  over a year ago

Birmingham

It’s rife

Especially on here.

Especially on here by the same people."

Totally correct, but then there's the interaction between people who do know enough, and those labouring under KD... and they sound the same to each other. How do you ever break that standoff in favour on actual knowledge?

Manchester (she/her)

"'An opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement that is not conclusive, rather than facts which are true statements.'

Perhaps the question should be 'Do you pass your strong opinions off as facts on things you know nothing about?'"

One can have opinions which may or may not be based on knowledge. That basis may or may not be sound to whatever degree.

It's often difficult to tell what people base things on, and arguments become over style over substance. Shortcuts also happen given the format in which these discussions take place.

"'An opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement that is not conclusive, rather than facts which are true statements.'

Perhaps the question should be 'Do you pass your strong opinions off as facts on things you know nothing about?'"

An interesting and fair point - although arguably how can you hold an opinion about something you have no knowledge of whatsoever. At best that opinion would be very high level and superficial, and as a result not hold a great deal of validity.

I think most people have feelings about things they feel passionate about, despite the lack of knowledge. You only need to look at the US elections to see that.

Perhaps the question should be 'Do you pass your strong opinions off as facts on things you know nothing about?'

An interesting and fair point - although arguably how can you hold an opinion about something you have no knowledge of whatsoever. At best that opinion would be very high level and superficial, and as a result not hold a great deal of validity."

I often find that most people that give an opinion have some knowledge even if it's limited.

Problem often comes when people that think they know better totally rubbish that person's argument just because they don't know as much as them.

Also it depends whether you are coming to an opinion on an intellectual and fact based approach or a personal life experience approach.

"Do you have any strong opinions on things you know nothing about, if you do let’s hear them here."

Yes women

By *unmatt888Man  over a year ago

Duns

"I have limited knowledge about black holes, but hold a very strong view that Steven Hawkins was deemed a scientists mainly because if his disability. If it wasn't for this fact, his research on the subject, in all honesty, is pretty mediocre... "

Is this your demonstration of the principle of the thread?

By *ervent_fervourMan  over a year ago

Halifax

I'd break it into two. - I'm struggling to understand how anyone could have a strong opinion on something they know nothing about, unless it's a blatant emotional response to something unknown or unpicked on a personal level.

But having a strong opinion on something which isn't explicitly personal (racsim/Covid /why people should or shouldn't vote right or left /, fresh vs processed bread/beatles vs Stones, etc etc) but which you know nothing about, and KNOW you are ignorant about is bonkers.

And if this is related to forum spouting. Then that's even worse if you start vocalising it.

An interesting and fair point - although arguably how can you hold an opinion about something you have no knowledge of whatsoever. At best that opinion would be very high level and superficial, and as a result not hold a great deal of validity."

An opinion isn't something which is 'true'. A fact is 'true'.

Difference between facts and opinions is that facts are verifiable. An opinion supported by facts is an argument. Given the same facts two people may come to two different opinions on what the facts mean.

Stockport

Good point... Though that might mean that my opinions on matters of physics, mathematics, genetics, gender, philosophy, religion, epidemiology... could be more valid than some of the opposing viewpoints

I'd break it into two. - I'm struggling to understand how anyone could have a strong opinion on something they know nothing about, unless it's a blatant emotional response to something unknown or unpicked on a personal level.

But having a strong opinion on something which isn't explicitly personal (racsim/Covid /why people should or shouldn't vote right or left /, fresh vs processed bread/beatles vs Stones, etc etc) but which you know nothing about, and KNOW you are ignorant about is bonkers.

And if this is related to forum spouting. Then that's even worse if you start vocalising it.

"

It’s called satire I think, I’m holding a mirror up and saying this is what a lot of people are like on social media, of course these people will have no idea it’s them cause they never do, this is part of Dunning-Kruger effect, that’s why arguing with them is futile, it’s the pigeon chess analogy.

An interesting and fair point - although arguably how can you hold an opinion about something you have no knowledge of whatsoever. At best that opinion would be very high level and superficial, and as a result not hold a great deal of validity.

Difference between facts and opinions is that facts are verifiable. An opinion supported by facts is an argument. Given the same facts two people may come to two different opinions on what the facts mean."

I agree - my point though was that it's not always possible (although some here appear to be capable of it) to hold anything more than an extremely high level and superficial opinion over something you have no knowledge of at all.

For example if you asked me my opinion of the Dodge Viper car (first thing that came into my head) I have absolutely no knowledge of what one even looks like let alone how it performs etc to even hold an opinion of it beyond it's an American car.

So knowledge and opinion to an extent go hand in hand is what I was trying to say.

Of course as Lorna pointed out there are some things which are a little more subjective and "life" based for which the only knowledge really necessary is personal experience.

Difference between facts and opinions is that facts are verifiable. An opinion supported by facts is an argument. Given the same facts two people may come to two different opinions on what the facts mean.

I agree - my point though was that it's not always possible (although some here appear to be capable of it) to hold anything more than an extremely high level and superficial opinion over something you have no knowledge of at all.

For example if you asked me my opinion of the Dodge Viper car (first thing that came into my head) I have absolutely no knowledge of what one even looks like let alone how it performs etc to even hold an opinion of it beyond it's an American car.

So knowledge and opinion to an extent go hand in hand is what I was trying to say.

Of course as Lorna pointed out there are some things which are a little more subjective and "life" based for which the only knowledge really necessary is personal experience."

But I could say the 'Dodge Viper is a really good car' (I have no knowledge of one either) but I wouldn't be able to support that opinion with facts to back my statement up. The fact is the Dodge Viper is a car. The opinion is that it's a 'really good car'.

And you could say your assertion that 'knowledge and opinion go hand in hand' is an opinion and not a fact (and what I've just said is an opinion).

But even life based experience is opinion based on your interpretation of certain factual events which you may have experienced.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"I have limited knowledge about black holes, but hold a very strong view that Steven Hawkins was deemed a scientists mainly because if his disability. If it wasn't for this fact, his research on the subject, in all honesty, is pretty mediocre...

Funny, the time i met him was before he had become totally disabled, and before he had become widely known outside of astrophysics circles. And it certainly seemed then that a good number of his peers were of the opinion that his work was anything but mediocre..."

Stephen Hawking WAS a great astrophysicist and would have still been even if he'd not had motor neurone disease. You don't have your name upon an equation to define a form of radiation for being a mediocre no-one. His theorem for what is now referred to as Hawking radiation (black body radiation) was postulated in 1974. He also won a huge array of academic prizes and medals and again, these are not handed out like toffees. His disability had feck all to do with his astrophysics and I wish people could separate the person from their disability and not see everything about a disabled person through the prism of their disability.

Manchester (she/her)

"I have limited knowledge about black holes, but hold a very strong view that Steven Hawkins was deemed a scientists mainly because if his disability. If it wasn't for this fact, his research on the subject, in all honesty, is pretty mediocre...

Funny, the time i met him was before he had become totally disabled, and before he had become widely known outside of astrophysics circles. And it certainly seemed then that a good number of his peers were of the opinion that his work was anything but mediocre...

Stephen Hawking WAS a great astrophysicist and would have still been even if he'd not had motor neurone disease. You don't have your name upon an equation to define a form of radiation for being a mediocre no-one. His theorem for what is now referred to as Hawking radiation (black body radiation) was postulated in 1974. He also won a huge array of academic prizes and medals and again, these are not handed out like toffees. His disability had feck all to do with his astrophysics and I wish people could separate the person from their disability and not see everything about a disabled person through the prism of their disability. "

Of course as Lorna pointed out there are some things which are a little more subjective and "life" based for which the only knowledge really necessary is personal experience.

But I could say the 'Dodge Viper is a really good car' (I have no knowledge of one either) but I wouldn't be able to support that opinion with facts to back my statement up. The fact is the Dodge Viper is a car. The opinion is that it's a 'really good car'.

And you could say your assertion that 'knowledge and opinion go hand in hand' is an opinion and not a fact (and what I've just said is an opinion).

But even life based experience is opinion based on your interpretation of certain factual events which you may have experienced. "

And that last statement kind of backs up my point that factual events or facts (aka knowledge) are what inform an opinion.

Think we're actually saying the same things different ways (in my opinion ) but an interesting debate all the same

» Add a new message to this topic