FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Why are cyclists allowed to get away with murder?

Why are cyclists allowed to get away with murder?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Was stopped at a red light on the way to work. The cyclist next to me stopped as he was riding on the road. And rather than going onto the footpath, just blatantly went through red.

If a motorist did that we would be penalised for it. Why should it be any different for cyclists?

Fucks you right off.

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *ent in BlackMan  over a year ago

Silsden

"Was stopped at a red light on the way to work. The cyclist next to me stopped as he was riding on the road. And rather than going onto the footpath, just blatantly went through red.

If a motorist did that we would be penalised for it. Why should it be any different for cyclists?

Fucks you right off. "

It’s not, it’s the same rule. If the police see them they ‘should’ take action. However evolution might eventually sort them out.

By *dwalu2Couple  over a year ago

Bristol

"Was stopped at a red light on the way to work. The cyclist next to me stopped as he was riding on the road. And rather than going onto the footpath, just blatantly went through red.

Fucks you right off. "

If you compare the number of motorists and pedestrians killed by cyclists with the number of cyclists and pedestrians killed by motorists, it seems far more accurate to say motorists are allowed to get away with murder.

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

Because the lycra doesn't absorb blood very well.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yes, they take liberties.

Biggest annoyance for me is riding on the pavements, forcing me and 4 dogs to walk in the road.

That and parents riding on the road, but allowing their child to ride on the pavement because 'they are too little to ride on the road'

Tough shit! It's still illegal

By *otsossieMan  over a year ago

Chesterfield

Did you exceed any speed limits? He probably didn’t.

Fucks you right off.

If you compare the number of motorists and pedestrians killed by cyclists with the number of cyclists and pedestrians killed by motorists, it seems far more accurate to say motorists are allowed to get away with murder."

Thats just basics- people in cars are protected by the car.

Bristol

Fucks you right off.

If you compare the number of motorists and pedestrians killed by cyclists with the number of cyclists and pedestrians killed by motorists, it seems far more accurate to say motorists are allowed to get away with murder.

Thats just basics- people in cars are protected by the car."

Why do you think that is relevant? The people involved are still dead.

No, u never see a car going through a red light do u?????

"No, u never see a car going through a red light do u?????"

Well, he stopped and after being stopped for 10 seconds decided fuck it I’m too important to be stopped.

Motorist are the most polite, law abiding people there are. They don’t speed, they always give right of way to those more vulnerable, and they never fiddle with their phones.

Fucks you right off.

Why do you think that is relevant? The people involved are still dead."

What might be relevant is that the number of deaths might decrease if all cyclists obeyed the rules of the road while using it. Not driving through red lights etc

By *otsossieMan  over a year ago

Chesterfield

Twats are twats. Some are on foot. Some are in cars. Some are riding bicycles. They’re twats.

Tribalism doesn’t solve the problem.

Bristol

Fucks you right off.

What might be relevant is that the number of deaths might decrease if all cyclists obeyed the rules of the road while using it. Not driving through red lights etc "

Indeed - but considering the vast majority of road accidents are directly caused by motorists, and it’s an unassailable fact that the number of deaths would definitely decrease if all motorists obeyed the rules of the road while using it, ‘not driving through red lights etc’, it’s curious as to why you think your statement is relevant.

Fucks you right off.

What might be relevant is that the number of deaths might decrease if all cyclists obeyed the rules of the road while using it. Not driving through red lights etc

Indeed - but considering the vast majority of road accidents are directly caused by motorists, and it’s an unassailable fact that the number of deaths would definitely decrease if all motorists obeyed the rules of the road while using it, ‘not driving through red lights etc’, it’s curious as to why you think your statement is relevant."

The op is talking about cyclists innit

By *ussD1Man  over a year ago

Gloucester

I’m a cyclist and cyclists piss me off too. Those with no helmets and blatant complacency of their own mortality. That said most cyclists are also car drivers and pedestrians too, let’s talk about mobility scooters !!! (Duck and cover)

"If a motorist did that we would be penalised for it. Why should it be any different for cyclists?

Fucks you right off. "

Legally, it's not different for cyclists. But drivers skip lights VERY often, and don't get caught.

Weird to focus on cyclists when most murders after running red lights are from cars, trucks etc.

Bristol

Fucks you right off.

Indeed - but considering the vast majority of road accidents are directly caused by motorists, and it’s an unassailable fact that the number of deaths would definitely decrease if all motorists obeyed the rules of the road while using it, ‘not driving through red lights etc’, it’s curious as to why you think your statement is relevant.

The op is talking about cyclists innit "

The person quoted was responding to us, not the op.

Fucks you right off.

The op is talking about cyclists innit

The person quoted was responding to us, not the op."

That was my bad sorry

By *ssex_tomMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

I saw a Wally riding bicycle on the pavement with one of those 'go pro' cameras on his helmet. If you break the law then why film it? If the feds had caught him and watched the video then he would be up before the beak in a flash...

Bristol

Let’s make a point that everyone can agree on - there has never been a motorist or cyclist who has moaned about the road use of others who is not also themselves a poor motorist or cyclist...they just don’t realise it.

"Twats are twats. Some are on foot. Some are in cars. Some are riding bicycles. They’re twats.

Tribalism doesn’t solve the problem. "

This is a very valid point. I will say that 90% of cyclists I have encountered do not obey the rules of the road though.

Whereas it is definitely not the case for motorists.

You defined get twats in either category.

I think there is arguements for both sides on this

I may have abit of an issue as a motorist, we pay, insurance, tax and mot to use the roads

Push bikes don't.

Attitude on the road there are arseholes from every walk of life. My ask make using the road be equal for all

Bristol

"I saw a Wally riding bicycle on the pavement with one of those 'go pro' cameras on his helmet. If you break the law then why film it? If the feds had caught him and watched the video then he would be up before the beak in a flash..."

Like motorists with dash cams who cause accidents! Why do they even have them? They must want to film themselves breaking the law, etc.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

The twat going through a red light on his bike is the same twat who will go through a red light in his car.

The mode of transport is not the issue it’s the twat using it.

Fucks you right off. "

Don't know why your bothered when they're commiting suicide. Hardly affects your life does it?

By *tephanjMan  over a year ago

Kettering

Everyone riding a bike should pass a test before going on the road. I know this won't sort out most of the issues but might help a bit. There are so many cyclists now who don't even know the highway code

Fucks you right off. "

Maybe they view themselves in a similar way to pedestrians who decide they have time to get across the road before the traffic starts moving again. X

"The twat going through a red light on his bike is the same twat who will go through a red light in his car.

The mode of transport is not the issue it’s the twat using it. "

Exactly

"I think there is arguements for both sides on this

I may have abit of an issue as a motorist, we pay, insurance, tax and mot to use the roads

Push bikes don't.

Attitude on the road there are arseholes from every walk of life. My ask make using the road be equal for all"

Exactly, say for instance an accident was caused by a cyclist and damage was caused to a car would the motorist get paid by the cyclist? Hardly.

"The twat going through a red light on his bike is the same twat who will go through a red light in his car.

The mode of transport is not the issue it’s the twat using it. "

Massively agree with this

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"Did you exceed any speed limits? He probably didn’t. "

While sat at the traffic lights I doubt it

Pogo sticks and space hoppers little bastards do whatever they want everywhere

Bristol

"I think there is arguements for both sides on this

Push bikes don't.

Attitude on the road there are arseholes from every walk of life. My ask make using the road be equal for all"

Motorists and cyclists pay the same tax to use the roads, as do pedestrians - which is to say zero, as road tax doesn’t exist. Osborne introduces VED in 2015, which is based on the pollution a vehicle emits. For a bicycle, that is zero.

The issues of insurance and MOT are different - the government seeks to increase cycle use, so removes disincentives based on the assessment of relative risk. An untaxed, mechanically unsound cycle is considered low risk to other road users, even though it increases the personal risk to the cyclist. Obviously this is not the case for an uninsured, unsound motor vehicle.

Fucks you right off. "

It’s not right I’ve had a few close shaves One example turning right I had right of way and said idiot cyclist disregarding his own red light rides from right to left in front of me! I called him a fuckin turkey Thats road rage for you

By *r TriomanMan  over a year ago

Chippenham Malmesbury area

Fucks you right off.

Maybe they view themselves in a similar way to pedestrians who decide they have time to get across the road before the traffic starts moving again. X"

Or maybe they are no different to the hundreds of drivers that speed through my village; knowing that no one is going to stop them. FYI, no deaths have been caused by cyclists, sadly, I can't say the save about vehicle drivers.

By *essiejamesABCCouple  over a year ago

Salisbury

I have always driven for a living and as much as I detest most cyclists habits I have to say there are some very good ones out there (helmets, hi vis, lights, signals etc), sadly they are a huge minority.

My biggest bug bear on the roads is horses, most of the riders have their heads up their own arses and think they can leave their horses poo all over the road. Again I have seen a few sensible horse riders but sadly not many. I usually stop and turn the lorrys (taxi nowadays) engine off, you'd be amazed at how many horse riders don't even bother giving a wave of thanks.

Don't get me started on obesity scooters, sorry disability scooters!

By *orkswatcherMan  over a year ago

Wakefield

Remember being at waterloo station and some cyclist running a red light and trying to plough through the people trying to cross the road.

I just booted his back wheel, don't think he will be doing that again.

Tin town

Wow this has taken an interesting turn. So far it would seem that...

Breaking the laws is OK because some other people break other unrelated laws.

Breaking the laws is OK because some cyclists are killed in other unrelated incidents

Breaking the laws is OK.

Wtf?

By *teveanddebsCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

"Yes, they take liberties.

Biggest annoyance for me is riding on the pavements, forcing me and 4 dogs to walk in the road.

That and parents riding on the road, but allowing their child to ride on the pavement because 'they are too little to ride on the road'

Tough shit! It's still illegal "

Has the law changed then? It always used to be that a cycle of a certain size i.e. kids were allowed to ride on the pavement.

Fucks you right off.

It’s not right I’ve had a few close shaves One example turning right I had right of way and said idiot cyclist disregarding his own red light rides from right to left in front of me! I called him a fuckin turkey Thats road rage for you "

No... That's fowl language

Bristol

Fucks you right off.

It’s not right I’ve had a few close shaves One example turning right I had right of way and said idiot cyclist disregarding his own red light rides from right to left in front of me! I called him a fuckin turkey Thats road rage for you

No... That's fowl language "

By *teveanddebsCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

" FYI, no deaths have been caused by cyclists, "

Bullshit

By *ockosaurusMan  over a year ago

Warwick

"Twats are twats. Some are on foot. Some are in cars. Some are riding bicycles. They’re twats.

This.

I walk, I drive, I cycle and I used to ride a motorbike.

I try to remain respectful and not be a twat, but I see loads of people doing each that are.

Just don't let it get to you to the point that you end up becoming a twat yourself.

Fucks you right off.

I’d have told him to get plucked

I cycle , walk and drive .

There are poor cyclists

There are poor drivers

Its all about mutual respect ans not forming little groups who bash eachother

"I cycle , walk and drive .

There are poor cyclists

There are poor drivers

Its all about mutual respect ans not forming little groups who bash eachother "

What about fight club?

They bash one another.

By *nliveneTV/TS  over a year ago

Selby

I though the cyclist have killed someone

Warwick

"FYI no deaths have been caused by cyclists"

Not many, but it does happen.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/rise-pedestrians-hit-cyclists-not-cause-leap-conclusions-396047

My 8 year old son was hit by an adult cyclist on the pavement last year.

They were riding full pelt down hill, no brake cables and no helmet.

I managed to pull my 3 year old out of the way, but not my son fully.

Luckily, the bike only clipped his arm slightly, throwing the cyclist off. If I hadn't seen them coming, it could have been really nasty.

Hopefully after 'speaking' to me, they will think twice about being so stupid again.

"FYI no deaths have been caused by cyclists

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/rise-pedestrians-hit-cyclists-not-cause-leap-conclusions-396047

Luckily, the bike only clipped his arm slightly, throwing the cyclist off. If I hadn't seen them coming, it could have been really nasty.

Hopefully after 'speaking' to me, they will think twice about being so stupid again. "

My mate cycles and has openly admitted to breaking the speed limit easily while cycling. Yet how do you stop a cyclist from speeding with no registration? Its pretty damn reckless tbh, not just to personal health but also to pedestrians.

Hopefully after 'speaking' to me, they will think twice about being so stupid again.

My mate cycles and has openly admitted to breaking the speed limit easily while cycling. Yet how do you stop a cyclist from speeding with no registration? Its pretty damn reckless tbh, not just to personal health but also to pedestrians. "

And also, glad your sons ok

"Wow this has taken an interesting turn. So far it would seem that...

Breaking the laws is OK because some cyclists are killed in other unrelated incidents

Breaking the laws is OK.

Wtf? "

Totally agree, I wasn't saying it okay, I was just commenting on the mind-set of all road users. I've done a lot of speed watch in my village; so many drivers get angry when they are recorded speeding (speeding in speed watch terms is the speed limit plus 10% of that limit plus 4mph - 37 mph for a 30 mph zone). I suspect that some of these law breakers are the same people that get angry at others for breaking the law.

Simple answer is, all road users, regardless of there mode of transport must obey the law/Highway Code!

As for horses pooing... News flash, that's what they do; drivers would get more annoyed, if the ride was to stop, put out a warning triangle and clean away the muck... Another thing road users must do... Be tolerant of other (law abiding) road users

Bristol

My mate cycles and has openly admitted to breaking the speed limit easily while cycling. Yet how do you stop a cyclist from speeding with no registration? Its pretty damn reckless tbh, not just to personal health but also to pedestrians. "

Motorists are ‘registered’ as you would have it, and yet speeding is endemic, as far more reckless and a far worse endangerment to health as it is.

Why do you think it would stop cyclists from speeding?

Tin town

Breaking the laws is OK.

Wtf?

Totally agree, I wasn't saying it okay, I was just commenting on the mind-set of all road users. I've done a lot of speed watch in my village; so many drivers get angry when they are recorded speeding (speeding in speed watch terms is the speed limit plus 10% of that limit plus 4mph - 37 mph for a 30 mph zone). I suspect that some of these law breakers are the same people that get angry at others for breaking the law.

Simple answer is, all road users, regardless of there mode of transport must obey the law/Highway Code!

As for horses pooing... News flash, that's what they do; drivers would get more annoyed, if the ride was to stop, put out a warning triangle and clean away the muck... Another thing road users must do... Be tolerant of other (law abiding) road users"

Sure but the answer is to obey the laws and drive safely. Not seek excuses to break them because other people break other laws.

Interested on your speedwatch comments...whats the reasoning behind 10% plus 4mph?

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I have no issues with cyclists other than their dress code , they look so wierd there’s no need.

My mate cycles and has openly admitted to breaking the speed limit easily while cycling. Yet how do you stop a cyclist from speeding with no registration? Its pretty damn reckless tbh, not just to personal health but also to pedestrians.

Motorists are ‘registered’ as you would have it, and yet speeding is endemic, as far more reckless and a far worse endangerment to health as it is.

Why do you think it would stop cyclists from speeding?"

It wouldn’t, but they might beware of speed cameras that are on a lot of hills near where I’m working. And obviously going downhill is a cyclists friend.

Tin town

Why do you think it would stop cyclists from speeding?"

For me the point is that there are a whole raft of laws and history in enforcing speeding with cars.

Cyclists, scooters, skateboards, electric one wheels, electric scooters that do 30mph and so on are mostly uninsured, unregulated and unenforced. Yet use the same shared resources. So perhaps some thought into how we all keep safe on the shared resources would be a good thing.

Fucks you right off.

"I cycle , walk and drive .

There are poor cyclists

There are poor drivers

Its all about mutual respect ans not forming little groups who bash eachother

What about fight club?

They bash one another.

"

The first rule about fight club is you don't talk about fight club The second rule about fight club is you don't talk about fight club

Fucks you right off.

No... That's fowl language

I’d have told him to get plucked "

Of all the things going on in the world this is what people get angry about.

This is a very valid point. I will say that 90% of cyclists I have encountered do not obey the rules of the road though.

You defined get twats in either category. "

90% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Are you trying to convince me that 90% of drivers never break any road laws? 90% really never speed?

As someone said above, the reason that many cyclists jump the lights is they feel that (like a pedestrian) it is enough to check that it's clear and safe to cross, the state of the lights isn't important. Just like many people driving through a 20mph limit outside a school on a Sunday morning with clear visibility, no parked cars and not a child in sight will believe that the 20 limit doesn't really apply to them.

Any cyclist will also tell you how unpleasant it is trying to get going from a stationary position when lights change with large boxes of metal impatiently trying to force their way past/around them so for some it feels safer to jump the light and avoid the chance of being run over.

Cyclists, pedestrians horses riders and mobility scooter drivers are all human beings. They all make decisions in exactly the same way,are subject to the same heuristics and biases and just as likely to make mistakes.

I find life much calmer when I try and see the behavoir of other road users as that of human beings not some imaginary species called 'cyclists' or 'lorry drivers' and then remember how often I make mistakes or ignore rules that are a little inconvenient...

Mr

"Of all the things going on in the world this is what people get angry about.

"

A very valid point.

But if you worried about everything that’s going on in the whole world, rather than “your world” you wouldn’t get very far and be very depressed rather quickly.

Chelmsford

Is it time to make cyclists have insurance, at least third-party sothat when the accident is their fault they can be claimed against

You defined get twats in either category.

90% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Are you trying to convince me that 90% of drivers never break any road laws? 90% really never speed?

As someone said above, the reason that many cyclists jump the lights is they feel that (like a pedestrian) it is enough to check that it's clear and safe to cross, the state of the lights isn't important. Just like many people driving through a 20mph limit outside a school on a Sunday morning with clear visibility, no parked cars and not a child in sight will believe that the 20 limit doesn't really apply to them.

Any cyclist will also tell you how unpleasant it is trying to get going from a stationary position when lights change with large boxes of metal impatiently trying to force their way past/around them so for some it feels safer to jump the light and avoid the chance of being run over.

Cyclists, pedestrians horses riders and mobility scooter drivers are all human beings. They all make decisions in exactly the same way,are subject to the same heuristics and biases and just as likely to make mistakes.

I find life much calmer when I try and see the behavoir of other road users as that of human beings not some imaginary species called 'cyclists' or 'lorry drivers' and then remember how often I make mistakes or ignore rules that are a little inconvenient...

Mr"

The difference is pedestrians are not riding on the road. On the road adhere to the rules.

I’m not saying anyone is perfect, but it should never be one rule for one and one rule for another.

Cyclists aren't allowed?

Numerous people flout laws everyday.

Though whilst indefensible, a cyclists actions are generally less impactive?

Sounds like the usual war on cyclists or cars tedious rhetoric.

Chelmsford

There are different types of cyclist. Some use a push bike to commute to work. Can't afford a bike but do that journey in rain or shine because they can't afford a car... I respect them greatly..

Then there are the lycra clad posers ... Another class entirely ...

Bristol

"Is it time to make cyclists have insurance, at least third-party sothat when the accident is their fault they can be claimed against"

As observed above, the level of cycling accidents where cyclists would need insurance to be claimed against is statistically so low, that it would massively disincentivise people from cycling to no appreciable benefit.

So there is no evidence that ‘it is time’, and plenty of evidence that it should stay as it is.

Bristol

"There are different types of cyclist. Some use a push bike to commute to work. Can't afford a bike but do that journey in rain or shine because they can't afford a car... I respect them greatly..

"

Anyone who cycles any reasonable distance will know that appropriate clothing is not a matter of posing, but function.

How many miles have you cycled this year, tom?

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

I know what upsets drivers so much - it’s when we slip on the lycra, we look like sex gods.

Just wait until electric scooters are added to the mix - chaos ahead.

"There are different types of cyclist. Some use a push bike to commute to work. Can't afford a bike but do that journey in rain or shine because they can't afford a car... I respect them greatly..

Anyone who cycles any reasonable distance will know that appropriate clothing is not a matter of posing, but function.

How many miles have you cycled this year, tom?"

He's a troll dont bite. I cycle for sport and leisure and any reasonable person knows that all road users take liberties.

Its all down to personal responsibility and if you care. No one user can be swept with the same brush.

Chelmsford

How many miles have you cycled this year, tom?"

Many many miles daily during lockdown as my daily exercise.. I wear an old T-Shirt, my old cotton rugby shorts, sunglasses and no helmet. I have a Cube cross and love overtaking those racing bike posers in their drag efficient cling film clothes...

Bristol

Many many miles daily during lockdown as my daily exercise.. I wear an old T-Shirt, my old cotton rugby shorts, sunglasses and no helmet. I have a Cube cross and love overtaking those racing bike posers in their drag efficient cling film clothes... "

How many miles, tom?

Sorry to hear your raging Op.

Not having a cycle

Nor ridden one for years.

Not likely to either.

Stopping at a red light but going through it. It would make me grrr too.

Any vehicle going through a red light endangers other road users.

Have a cup of tea for the shock Op.

Chelmsford

Many many miles daily during lockdown as my daily exercise.. I wear an old T-Shirt, my old cotton rugby shorts, sunglasses and no helmet. I have a Cube cross and love overtaking those racing bike posers in their drag efficient cling film clothes...

How many miles, tom?"

Well I don't use strava but like to explore the country lanes but on a nice day I go out for about two hours.. you won't see me out in the wind or wet though... How many miles.. not a Scooby

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

Fucks you right off. "

Cars parking on pavements OP?

Shocking! Just watching Angela Rippon on TV

tackling this scourge.

Chelmsford

Fucks you right off.

Cars parking on pavements OP?

Shocking! Just watching Angela Rippon on TV

tackling this scourge."

I blame the planners for that one...

"Sorry to hear your raging Op.

Not having a cycle

Nor ridden one for years.

Not likely to either.

Stopping at a red light but going through it. It would make me grrr too.

Any vehicle going through a red light endangers other road users.

Have a cup of tea for the shock Op. "

I’m not raging. Just thought I’d start a thread. He wasn’t as annoying as the cyclists that pick and chose between pavement and road and almost take out pedestrians as they do it with no helmet on, lights or high viz.

Bristol

How many miles, tom?

Well I don't use strava but like to explore the country lanes but on a nice day I go out for about two hours.. you won't see me out in the wind or wet though... How many miles.. not a Scooby "

Good for you...although for your age, that’s not really all that much. Most serious cyclists will do that to check the pedals are still working!

As you aren’t cycling very far or very hard, and solely in nice conditions, you won’t appreciate the need for functional clothing.

The great thing about cycling is it has a low barrier to entry and can be enjoyed by people of any ability, as you have found. So attempting to separate cyclists by what clothes they are wearing into ones worthy of respect or not just makes you seem foolish.

By *tella HeelsTV/TS  over a year ago

west here ford shire

I know this topic is going to be debated on and on..

A few things that should be considered

Cycle proficiency test

As a kid we had to pass this, now???

Riding 2 abreast, we were always taught not to do this, now it seems to be ignored or forgotten

Cyclist insurance,

If a cyclist hits you or a car, where are their insurance that you can claim against?

Road Tax

Sorry any vehicle using highways of Britain should contribute to the upkeep of these roads..

A contribution of £20 pa is fair..

Mirrors

All bicycles should be fitted with one mirror so they can see what’s coming from behind, as kids it was trendy to fit loads of them... 70’s eh?

But seriously it would save lives..

Traffic lights riding in traffic etc

All cyclists should follow Highway Code, part of a proficiency test should include the Highway Code.

I concur with a previous comment that more cyclists are killed or hurt by motorists than the other way round (obvious).

But ask yourself a question..

How many cyclists are killed due to any of the above or blind ignorance of the above?

Note...

I don’t have an axe to grind with cyclists, but take some responsibility for your own actions please...

Bristol

All those things have been considered in the thread already.

I thought this was going to be about a psychopath on a cycle path.....

Fuzz

By *icolerobbieCouple  over a year ago

walsall

Don’t worry cyclists, tommorrow it will be the turn of vegans.

Bristol

It’s always astounding how many motorists think they pay road tax.

Maybe it should be used as a question to judge fitness to be in charge of a motor vehicle?

‘Do you pay road tax?’

‘Yes!’

‘Your license is now suspended - you can re-apply to drive in 12 months.’

By *tella HeelsTV/TS  over a year ago

west here ford shire

"It’s always astounding how many motorists think they pay road tax.

Maybe it should be used as a question to judge fitness to be in charge of a motor vehicle?

‘Do you pay road tax?’

‘Yes!’

‘Your license is now suspended - you can re-apply to drive in 12 months.’ "

Hey don’t go there, I drive for a living nowadays

Road tax I pay is over £1000 pa

"Don’t worry cyclists, tommorrow it will be the turn of vegans."

Vegan cyclists.

Tin town

"Don’t worry cyclists, tommorrow it will be the turn of vegans.

Vegan cyclists. "

Vegans in lycra

I'm quietly awaiting my turn too!

I'm one of the arseholes that ride horses

walsall

Then the day after it will be the turn of Dole scroungers.....

Bristol

"I'm quietly awaiting my turn too!

I'm one of the arseholes that ride horses "

Of course, the person who complained about horses seems unaware that his vehicle is not quite zero emissions itself...

"Then the day after it will be the turn of Dole scroungers....."

Then students?

Fuzz

"Don’t worry cyclists, tommorrow it will be the turn of vegans.

Vegan cyclists.

Vegans in lycra"

Fuck that's me... i dream of exceeding the speed limit and use every sense i can to stay alive whilst cycling on the road and when using shared cycle paths try my very best not to injure pedestrians, children + dogs who are oblivious to other users

When I'm driving i selfishly take the same attitude... Protect all life!

"Pogo sticks and space hoppers little bastards do whatever they want everywhere "

I once saw someone on a pogo stick jump the lights

Warwick

"I know this topic is going to be debated on and on..

Cycle proficiency test

Riding 2 abreast, we were always taught not to do this, now it seems to be ignored or forgotten

Cyclist insurance,

If a cyclist hits you or a car, where are their insurance that you can claim against?

Road Tax

Sorry any vehicle using highways of Britain should contribute to the upkeep of these roads..

Mirrors

All bicycles should be fitted with one mirror so they can see what’s coming from behind, as kids it was trendy to fit loads of them... 70’s eh?

All cyclists should follow Highway Code, part of a proficiency test should include the Highway Code.

I concur with a previous comment that more cyclists are killed or hurt by motorists than the other way round (obvious).

How many cyclists are killed due to any of the above or blind ignorance of the above?

Note...

I don’t have an axe to grind with cyclists, but take some responsibility for your own actions please...

"

I have heard a lot of this being said before, so just want to clarify a few bits.

* Cycling proficiency tests have never been compulsory. Making them so they are would stop younger children from riding, which I think is a bad thing.

* Riding 2 abreast is and always has been legal and mentioned in the highway code (unless on a narrow or busy road or whilst going around bends).

It's also believed it brings an extra level of safety to cyclists, because it forces carry drivers to use a proper overtaking procedure and give the cyclist as much space as a small car (which is what they 'should' be doing), rather than squeezing past and almost hitting them.

* Insurance. You want to insure kids? What about adults on low income, who need a bike to get to work?

The fact is, the amount of damage caused by cyclists per year is tiny, so the amount the insurance companies could charge would be tiny and not really worth it for them.

Also, the additional costs to the police and government to manage this would take away from more important things.

*Road tax. There is no such thing. What you mean is Vehicle Excise Duty, which is calculated on CO2 emissions, so electric cars do not have to park, so why should bikes?

It is also not used for road maintenance, that is paid for from general taxation, which everyone is already paying into.

Mirrors. No. Mirrors do not make cycling safer. They are useful in cars as vision is impaired. On a bike its easier and safer to look over your shoulders.

On a bike they would have to stick or further and so are more likely to be struck by passing cars which would make the cyclist fall.

* Traffic lights, yep. All road laws should be followed by cyclists. Unfortunately some don't, the same as some car drivers don't.

I'm not sure what the solution is tbh.

I have a few ideas though.

Personally, I think all bikes should be registered (for free or very cheaply so to not restrict who can do it) and have a form of number plate, which would not only make theft harder, but also make it easier to catch people who do brake rules. This I think would solve a lot of the issues.

Unregistered bikes will be removed from the roads and the owner or parent fined.

This will cost a bit for the government / police to manage so they may not deem it worth while, but I think it would be cheaper and better than any other solution.

Cycle helmets should be mandatory (easy to catch who doesn't if the bikes are registered)

Cycling proficiency tests should be mandatory for bikes to use the road (once done a different coloured licence plate can be claimed).

I also think with roads as busy as they are it is crazy to expect young children, or people with certain disabilities to ride on them. Many are even too dangerous (for all road users) to allow anyone to ride on, so cycling slowly and with due care on pavements 'should' be allowed where cycle paths don't exist (again dangerous cyclist would be easy to track with a registered bike)

The government should also look at providing more cycle paths. It seems crazy to me, that they still build roads and paths and ignore the need for cycle paths.

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Motorists fuck me right of as a cyclist! Works both ways there is good and bad of both!!! X

By *utmegsMan  over a year ago

Closer than you think

How about the police just enforce the existing rules for ALL road users?

I try not to drive/cycle/walk like a cnut and that seems to work pretty well.

If the behaviour of other road users winds you up as much as it does some of the previous posters - seek help before you have an aneurysm.

"How about the police just enforce the existing rules for ALL road users?

I try not to drive/cycle/walk like a cnut and that seems to work pretty well.

If the behaviour of other road users winds you up as much as it does some of the previous posters - seek help before you have an aneurysm."

The Voice of reason, very sensible

Peach are you listening?

Fuzz

ashford

"I’m a cyclist and cyclists piss me off too. Those with no helmets and blatant complacency of their own mortality. That said most cyclists are also car drivers and pedestrians too, let’s talk about mobility scooters !!! (Duck and cover) "

I choose not to wear a helmet! I abide by the rules of the road/highway code ! X

By *incskittenWoman  over a year ago

Nottingham

Fucks you right off. "

I see this a lot. Cyclists take the piss !

ashford

Cycle proficiency test

Cyclist insurance,

Road Tax

Mirrors

Note...

I have heard a lot of this being said before, so just want to clarify a few bits.

* Cycling proficiency tests have never been compulsory. Making them so they are would stop younger children from riding, which I think is a bad thing.

* Riding 2 abreast is and always has been legal and mentioned in the highway code (unless on a narrow or busy road or whilst going around bends).

It's also believed it brings an extra level of safety to cyclists, because it forces carry drivers to use a proper overtaking procedure and give the cyclist as much space as a small car (which is what they 'should' be doing), rather than squeezing past and almost hitting them.

* Insurance. You want to insure kids? What about adults on low income, who need a bike to get to work?

The fact is, the amount of damage caused by cyclists per year is tiny, so the amount the insurance companies could charge would be tiny and not really worth it for them.

Also, the additional costs to the police and government to manage this would take away from more important things.

*Road tax. There is no such thing. What you mean is Vehicle Excise Duty, which is calculated on CO2 emissions, so electric cars do not have to park, so why should bikes?

It is also not used for road maintenance, that is paid for from general taxation, which everyone is already paying into.

Mirrors. No. Mirrors do not make cycling safer. They are useful in cars as vision is impaired. On a bike its easier and safer to look over your shoulders.

On a bike they would have to stick or further and so are more likely to be struck by passing cars which would make the cyclist fall.

* Traffic lights, yep. All road laws should be followed by cyclists. Unfortunately some don't, the same as some car drivers don't.

Personally, I think all bikes should be registered (for free or very cheaply so to not restrict who can do it) and have a form of number plate, which would not only make theft harder, but also make it easier to catch people who do brake rules. This I think would solve a lot of the issues.

Unregistered bikes will be removed from the roads and the owner or parent fined.

This will cost a bit for the government / police to manage so they may not deem it worth while, but I think it would be cheaper and better than any other solution.

Cycle helmets should be mandatory (easy to catch who doesn't if the bikes are registered)

Cycling proficiency tests should be mandatory for bikes to use the road (once done a different coloured licence plate can be claimed).

I also think with roads as busy as they are it is crazy to expect young children, or people with certain disabilities to ride on them. Many are even too dangerous (for all road users) to allow anyone to ride on, so cycling slowly and with due care on pavements 'should' be allowed where cycle paths don't exist (again dangerous cyclist would be easy to track with a registered bike)

The government should also look at providing more cycle paths. It seems crazy to me, that they still build roads and paths and ignore the need for cycle paths."

Agree with all u said except the helmets they would only protect the cyclist so shd b choice! As for cycle paths we had them put on our ring road 2 weeks ago here in Ashford bug there was so much uproar they were gone by end of week x

By *lixirWoman  over a year ago

Chippenham

They should have to have registration plates as right now they have anonymity to break the law.

By *astMidsCouple555Couple  over a year ago

Leicester

Cyclists are very self righteous. Always complaining about car drivers but themselves showing disregard for pedestrians. Sometimes the first I know they are there is when they hammer past me. One false step sideways would have meant serious injury.

"

The government should also look at providing more cycle paths. It seems crazy to me, that they still build roads and paths and ignore the need for cycle paths."

Also i think that if all new drivers also had to experience a number of hours as a cyclist /other road users as part of their initial test that society would be a lot less cuntish and far more tolerant of each other

I also think everyone should have be a wheelchair user for a week - even just a a day... to experience the challenges and sheer frustration and hopefully help us to think of better solutions and be mire mindful

Tough shit! It's still illegal "

Wow are you for real ?

Bristol

"Cyclists are very self righteous. Always complaining about car drivers but themselves showing disregard for pedestrians. Sometimes the first I know they are there is when they hammer past me. One false step sideways would have meant serious injury. "

You will find most cyclists will ring a bell to let you know they are approaching - if they judge it’s safest to let you know they are about to pass you.

As any experienced cyclist will tell you, the first instinct many pedestrians have when being alerted to the presence of an approaching cyclist is to jump aside in a random direction, often endangering both parties.

So it can be the safest course of action to go past a pedestrian without warning, as most people tend to walk in a straight line unless obviously impaired - especially if there is sufficient space to do so.

As for being self-righteous...well, have you seen us? We’re God’s chosen people!

By *ussD1Man  over a year ago

Gloucester

"Don’t worry cyclists, tommorrow it will be the turn of vegans."

Vegan cyclists. Omg !!!

By *ervent_fervourMan  over a year ago

Halifax

I love the constant noise of motorists outside my window.

The exhaust fumes really sort out my innards too!

What else?

Oh. I LOVE it when your multi tonne vehicle slams into my body. Good job I'm superhuman andd can pick up cars with my little finger and that.

Most of all though, because I'm a bit of a philanthropist, and I k ow you all like having your fun, I adore paying for the creation /upkeep of the roads which you continually use. For your 'essential' journeys.

"Cyclists are very self righteous. Always complaining about car drivers but themselves showing disregard for pedestrians. Sometimes the first I know they are there is when they hammer past me. One false step sideways would have meant serious injury. "

And yet most of the complaints on this thread are from drivers

By *iss behaving2019Woman  over a year ago

East Yorkshire

Have often been in traffic that has had its progress slowed by cyclists riding two abreast! Had to move over on footpaths and pedestrian precincts to avoid cyclists! Yet purpose made cycle paths are seldom used by them!

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Fucks you right off. "

On my daily cycle to work, I will ALWAYS encounter cars parked in the cycle lanes, cars passing me and immediately turning across my path, cars comming towards me on my side of the road because "they have right of way over cycles", cars passing too close, cars stopping in the advance stop area reserved specifically for cyclists and cars going through lights 5 seconds after they've turned red... these are things I see EVERY time I ride.

And, a bike not waiting at a red light is HARDLY MURDER really. The only person the will put in harms way is themselves.

Cal

By *arentsgonebadCouple  over a year ago

sheffield

1 abeast vs 2 abreast whats the difference you Would still hsve to wait to go around lol.Plus if you have never rode a propper road bike you would understand why its not safe to ride in the edge of the road, the roads where i live are shocking for cycling.

I drive and i cycle, the problem is 95% of drives have no respect for anyone else on the road, be it bike, car, bus ect

By *unmatt888Man  over a year ago

Duns

"1 abeast vs 2 abreast whats the difference you Would still hsve to wait to go around lol.Plus if you have never rode a propper road bike you would understand why its not safe to ride in the edge of the road, the roads where i live are shocking for cycling.

I drive and i cycle, the problem is 95% of drives have no respect for anyone else on the road, be it bike, car, bus ect "

Exactly. I generally ride in the middle of the lane, unless it's a very wide lane. If there's room to overtake safely, there's room to do so whether the cyclist is at the edge or in the middle.

By *ervent_fervourMan  over a year ago

Halifax

"Have often been in traffic that has had its progress slowed by cyclists riding two abreast! Had to move over on footpaths and pedestrian precincts to avoid cyclists! Yet purpose made cycle paths are seldom used by them! "

Snap! I hate it when cars get in my way too!

By *reamblueMan  over a year ago

London

There's a lot of cyclist vs motorist antagonism. Personally I don't like the divisive nature. There are dickheads in all types of vehicle and I try not to rise to any affront. Easier said than done though

"....Don't get me started on obesity scooters, sorry disability scooters! "

Come to our town, you'll be infuriated

Fuzz

Breaking the laws is OK.

Wtf?

As for horses pooing... News flash, that's what they do; drivers would get more annoyed, if the ride was to stop, put out a warning triangle and clean away the muck... Another thing road users must do... Be tolerant of other (law abiding) road users

Sure but the answer is to obey the laws and drive safely. Not seek excuses to break them because other people break other laws.

Interested on your speedwatch comments...whats the reasoning behind 10% plus 4mph? "

The police instruct the Speed Watch teams to add these figures; the 4mph is a degree of leniency and the 10% is because car speedos (as I understand it) are only calibrate at manufacture whilst the speed gun is calibrate everytime before use. So a driver may have drifted slightly above the limit and his speedo is showing a false reading (because it's out of calibration).

Again, this ^

Fuzz

ashford

I find motorists to b very self righteous tbh! Having a total disregard for any one but them selves!! X

[Removed by poster at 08/10/20 12:27:42]

Scunthorpe

"1 abeast vs 2 abreast whats the difference you Would still hsve to wait to go around lol.Plus if you have never rode a propper road bike you would understand why its not safe to ride in the edge of the road, the roads where i live are shocking for cycling.

I drive and i cycle, the problem is 95% of drives have no respect for anyone else on the road, be it bike, car, bus ect "

The argument that cyclists should ride in single file goes hand in hand with the thought that you can "just squeeze past" rather than properly overtake. The widely accepted "safe passing distance" is 1.5m (this is law in Ireland) and so you would need to be able have sufficient room to overtake safely either way. Cyclists riding two-a-breast actually allow for quicker overtaking, ad they are halving the length of their train.

It is also worth remembering that every one of those cycles that you pass are one less car clogging up the roads

Cal

ashford

"Have often been in traffic that has had its progress slowed by cyclists riding two abreast! Had to move over on footpaths and pedestrian precincts to avoid cyclists! Yet purpose made cycle paths are seldom used by them! "

Cyclists are advised to ride 2 abreast in highway code x

UK drivers are the worst, most have no understanding of what it's like to ride a cycle, go to Europe much more understanding and tolerance, if you hit a pedestrian or cyclist is your fault, it's a life at the end of the day. Someones dad, wife or son / daughter is that 20 second delay really worth it ! Chill out !

"I'm quietly awaiting my turn too!

I'm one of the arseholes that ride horses "

are horses colour blind...red and greens seem the same grey..that's your defence before the hanging judge

"Because the lycra doesn't absorb blood very well. "

Answer of the day

sheffield

I ride two abreast all the time when out with partner or friends on the bike, if i wanted to ride alone id go out alone

By *bsinthe_boyMan  over a year ago

Luton

I have huge respect for responsible cyclists who obey the highway code.

However, journey to work requires me to walk across Cricklewood Broadway. I use s Pelicon crossing and wait for the green signal. Most mornings I'm nearly mown down by a bicycle crossing a red light. They also disobey the lights at junctions. I have been hit at this crossing twice. I've also been hit three times by people illegally cycling on the pavement of the same road. On two occasions the cyclist has gone on to punch me for not getting out of his way. On one such occasion a policeman did see it and took the chap aside explaining that he should cycle on the road or push his bike along the pavement. Man was having none of it, he was in the right and the copper was wrong.

This attitude spoils things for those who do cycle responsibly.

99 deaths of cyclists last year.

According to rospa.

Compared to 80% RTAs

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I have huge respect for responsible cyclists who obey the highway code.

However, journey to work requires me to walk across Cricklewood Broadway. I use s Pelicon crossing and wait for the green signal. Most mornings I'm nearly mown down by a bicycle crossing a red light. They also disobey the lights at junctions. I have been hit at this crossing twice. I've also been hit three times by people illegally cycling on the pavement of the same road. On two occasions the cyclist has gone on to punch me for not getting out of his way. On one such occasion a policeman did see it and took the chap aside explaining that he should cycle on the road or push his bike along the pavement. Man was having none of it, he was in the right and the copper was wrong.

This attitude spoils things for those who do cycle responsibly."

I've had altercations too. Alas.

I think this tribalism serves no one, as noted earlier, but I would like to teach some cyclists that the big red light means stop and the green man means walk, like some of us learned in preschool

Chelmsford

How many miles, tom?

Well I don't use strava but like to explore the country lanes but on a nice day I go out for about two hours.. you won't see me out in the wind or wet though... How many miles.. not a Scooby

Good for you...although for your age, that’s not really all that much. Most serious cyclists will do that to check the pedals are still working!

As you aren’t cycling very far or very hard, and solely in nice conditions, you won’t appreciate the need for functional clothing.

The great thing about cycling is it has a low barrier to entry and can be enjoyed by people of any ability, as you have found. So attempting to separate cyclists by what clothes they are wearing into ones worthy of respect or not just makes you seem foolish."

Touche... Good rattort and I redact my foolishness

Chelmsford

[Removed by poster at 08/10/20 12:54:17]

Wow are you for real ?"

Yes.

I had 5 children and managed to teach them all to ride safety and responsibly on the roads without using the pavements and inconveniencing pedestrians.

Chelmsford

"99 deaths of cyclists last year.

According to rospa.

Compared to 80% RTAs "

Cyclists Lives Matter

ashford

Wow are you for real ?

Yes.

I had 5 children and managed to teach them all to ride safety and responsibly on the roads without using the pavements and inconveniencing pedestrians."

Yes but it's all very well teaching them! What about all the pig ignorant motorists?? X

By *exfordMan  over a year ago

discombobulated land

Fucks you right off. "

Cyclists rule

By *essiejamesABCCouple  over a year ago

Salisbury

"....Don't get me started on obesity scooters, sorry disability scooters!

Come to our town, you'll be infuriated

Fuzz "

Sounds like an invite we can't refuse guys

Wow are you for real ?

Yes.

I had 5 children and managed to teach them all to ride safety and responsibly on the roads without using the pavements and inconveniencing pedestrians.

Yes but it's all very well teaching them! What about all the pig ignorant motorists?? X"

So you think they should be allowed to ride on the pavements?

Not having a go, just interested.

ashford

Wow are you for real ?

Yes.

Yes but it's all very well teaching them! What about all the pig ignorant motorists?? X

Not having a go, just interested."

Yes of course with caution x

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"99 deaths of cyclists last year.

According to rospa.

Compared to 80% RTAs

Cyclists Lives Matter "

Ha ha

Riding 2 or 3 abreast a que of cars behind them down country lanes. really gets me fed up....

discombobulated land

[Removed by poster at 08/10/20 13:25:27]

discombobulated land

"Riding 2 or 3 abreast a que of cars behind them down country lanes. really gets me fed up...."

Stay in then.

Cyclists rule

walsall

Cycle proficiency test

Cyclist insurance,

Road Tax

Mirrors

Note...

No thanks, if this were the case I would just use the car. A little counter productive don’t you think?

walsall

Wow are you for real ?

Yes.

They are allowed, it is not illegal for young children to cycle on the pavement.

Chelmsford

Well it matters not if it's illegal for a young child to cycle on the pavement. It's much safer that risking a young child getting injured on the roads.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

On the hole I don't mind cyclist but I do think they should have insurance.

And I don't like when they ride next to each other macking it even harder to pass.

"On the hole I don't mind cyclist"

"On the hole I don't mind cyclist but I do think they should have insurance.

And I don't like when they ride next to each other macking it even harder to pass."

Insurance is an interesting idea.

I'm not sure how you would handle kids who cycle. A 10 year old can't be expected to have insurance.

Chelmsford

An interesting debate but the age old question is never answered .. are there any ladies out there who get aroused whilst riding a bike... Especially on cobbles or off road tracks ?

They do it for their own safety.

I'm not a fan of cyclists as they are a bloody nuisance on the road, but I blame the lack of suitable infrastructure to cater for them.

As far as I know the only recent fatality caused by a cyclist was when an idiot was riding his souped up electric bike along a west end street in London while travelling faster than the speed limit who knocked an elderly lady over who was crossing the road, not at a pedestrian crossing btw. As a cyclist my opinion of him is that he was riding like a total arsehole and hopefully one day he will recognise what he has done and feel remorse for his actions. My experience of riding a road bike is that pedestrians walk out in front of you regularly while looking and listening to their phones, car drivers tailgate, and then overtake and turn across you, white van man likes to throw drinks bottles or abuse, and best of all is the car driver who opens his door as you are passing him. That all happened to me in the last couple of weeks. Bad behaviour and intolerance go hand in hand I find.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"They do it for their own safety.

I'm not a fan of cyclists as they are a bloody nuisance on the road, but I blame the lack of suitable infrastructure to cater for them."

God yes

I still don't want to be bowled over when I have right of way, but no way would I cycle on British roads

By *cottish guy 555Man  over a year ago

London

Indeed there are arguments on both sides for poor road usage, however the move towards redesigned lorries due to cyclist fatalities is madness.

A truck driver may not be able to see a cyclist in their blindspot but the view from a bike is clear when approaching a 30 ton truck. People shouldn't be surprised if someone on a bike is injured when they make a poor choice. Where does personal responsibility come into it?

Just a thought

Warwick

"I'm not sure what the solution is tbh.

The government should also look at providing more cycle paths. It seems crazy to me, that they still build roads and paths and ignore the need for cycle paths.

No thanks, if this were the case I would just use the car. A little counter productive don’t you think?"

Screw it, let's get rid of all speed limits and traffic lights as they are counter productive!

Im a cyclist.

Im that guy that rides near the middle of the road to teach some of these shite drivers a lesson about getting too close.

I'll also ride 2 abreast, just to prove a point.

I'll even ride around the roundabout several times really slowly if you start getting too close and shitty.

However,

I wont skip a red light

I always use lights in the dark

I always throw a hand out to indicate.

Moral of the story

Whatever transport you use, dont be that fucking dickhead that thinks they have more rights than everyone else...

Scunthorpe

Wow are you for real ?

Yes.

I personally never ride on the path, but as a motorist I would also not like to see children forced to ride on the road either. Teenagers are often a danger to themselves wherever they ride, but there seems to be a particular trend at the moment for pulling wheelies down the middle of the road...

One problem that cyclists will always have is that (as this thread shows) people don't want us on the roads... or the paths.

ashford

"They do it for their own safety.

I'm not a fan of cyclists as they are a bloody nuisance on the road, but I blame the lack of suitable infrastructure to cater for them."

I'm not a fan of motorists on the roads as they are a bloody nuisance tbh!! X

Scunthorpe

Wow are you for real ?

Yes.

------

They are allowed, it is not illegal for young children to cycle on the pavement. "

It is still illegal, but as children below the age of 10 can't be legally responsible... they are "unstoppable"

walsall

Wow are you for real ?

Yes.

------

They are allowed, it is not illegal for young children to cycle on the pavement.

It is still illegal, but as children below the age of 10 can't be legally responsible... they are "unstoppable""

The law is an ass....lol

Chelmsford

Wow are you for real ?

Yes.

------

It is still illegal, but as children below the age of 10 can't be legally responsible... they are "unstoppable""

Should it be lowered.. the age of criminal responsibility and not the saddle height...

By *unmatt888Man  over a year ago

Duns

Simple answer is to allow cyclists to use pavements and footpaths, with a speed limit (5mph or so).

dog eat dog.

why the truck driver wins.

By *iL DeVeLWoman  over a year ago

Luton

Never seen a cyclist accused of murder yet.

By *amie HantsWoman  over a year ago

Atlantis

"Never seen a cyclist accused of murder yet."

Off topic, but your hair is amazing

"Never seen a cyclist accused of murder yet."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41028321

id call that murder

There have been many reports which show wearing helmets is unlikely to save lives

https://www.cyclehelmets.org/1012.html

I listened to a psychologist on the radio a few years ago who did a study of drivers and found drivers were more likely to pass more closely to a cyclist wearing a helmet than a cyclist without a helmet. Sorry, I can't remember which show or who the psychologist was.

I usually cycle at least three feet away from the kerb, for several reasons;

Pedestrians sometimes step out into the road without looking - if they can't hear an engine, it must be safe, right?

Drains have often sunken due to erosion, plus there's more pot holes close to the kerb.

Drivers generally have to move out of the lane to overtake, so on busy roads they have to reduce their speed.

When drivers do pass close by, I have somewhere to move into.

When cycling with others, we usually cycle two abreast. This reduces the distance drivers have to overtake us, plus it increases our presence on the road.

Not sure how having a registration/proof of cycling proficiency test plate on a bike would work, it would need to be a standard size to enable others to read it from a distance. And a proficiency test plate would only be valid for me, if I lent my bike to a friend it would imply he's proficient. I'm not sure how many bikes are used daily; having a free to use/register database off licenced bikes would still require resources and costs to use, acces and update, who is paying for it?

As a car driver I don't pay road tax for the upkeep of the roads; I pay a tax for using a car which goes into the chancellor's purse to be spent on other things. I have no say where this tax is spent. I don't have children, yet my taxes are spent on schools. But funding schools does benefit me as it's helping pay the education of the next generation , in the same way someone who doesn't drive benefits from their general taxes being spent on roads.

sheffield

Patience their will be room to overtake

"Riding 2 or 3 abreast a que of cars behind them down country lanes. really gets me fed up...."

"Never seen a cyclist accused of murder yet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41028321

id call that murder"

I'd call it manslaughter not murder. There was no intent to cause death.

Poor you OP

Had to wait a little bit longer at the lights sat on your ass with music heater/ac in a tonne of metal pouring fumes while the cyclist got a slight head start on you. boo fucking hoo.

Tin town

"

Also i think that if all new drivers also had to experience a number of hours as a cyclist /other road users as part of their initial test that society would be a lot less cuntish and far more tolerant of each other

I also think everyone should have be a wheelchair user for a week - even just a a day... to experience the challenges and sheer frustration and hopefully help us to think of better solutions and be mire mindful"

Nice idea but I think it'll take more than a few hours on a bike to uncunt some of them!

By *arlomaleMan  over a year ago

darlington

"Poor you OP

Had to wait a little bit longer at the lights sat on your ass with music heater/ac in a tonne of metal pouring fumes while the cyclist got a slight head start on you. boo fucking hoo."

and the cyclist should of adhered to the rules instead of putting his life at risk

" the cyclist should of adhered to the rules instead of putting his life at risk "

Fair enough he broke the rules but did he put his life at risk? We all know how often the lights remain red when the road ahead is obviously clear. Maybe the cyclist thought it was safer to move on rather than get stuck with the traffic alongside him. This can also make it easier for the waiting motorists, as they can then pull away without having a bike on their nearside.

And on the subject of putting lives at risk, who is the one poisoning the air?

By *arlomaleMan  over a year ago

darlington

" the cyclist should of adhered to the rules instead of putting his life at risk

Fair enough he broke the rules but did he put his life at risk? We all know how often the lights remain red when the road ahead is obviously clear. Maybe the cyclist thought it was safer to move on rather than get stuck with the traffic alongside him. This can also make it easier for the waiting motorists, as they can then pull away without having a bike on their nearside.

And on the subject of putting lives at risk, who is the one poisoning the air?"

he should adhere to the same rules as the motorist not only did he put his life at risk imagine if he hit a pedestrian crossing the road it’s happened before end of the day the traffic lights are there for a reason and as for you’re poison the air remark unless the cyclist in question lives of grid then he’s as guilty as the motorist for polluting the atmosphere

More importantly.

Why are grown adults still using kids toys

Chelmsford

"Simple answer is to allow cyclists to use pavements and footpaths, with a speed limit (5mph or so)."

That is the most sensible idea ever ever on fab...

walsall

"More importantly.

Why are grown adults still using kids toys "

Yeah, like train sets & playstations and the like

Scunthorpe

"More importantly.

Why are grown adults still using kids toys "

I don't follow you...