FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Choice Blindness

Choice Blindness

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

An interesting article on BBC today, surrounding people's choices between two alternatives...and having to explain why.

A psychologist conducted interviews, then discreetly altered responses, asking people to explain why they made choices.

Bizarrely, people started justifying a choice that they hadn't made. Left and right wing people started justifying choices that a few minutes previously had been contrary to their preferences.

How well do you understand your choices? Remarkably, this tactic has a lasting impact on choices.

Maybe you've been influenced far more than you realise!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

" An interesting article on BBC today, surrounding people's choices between two alternatives...and having to explain why.

A psychologist conducted interviews, then discreetly altered responses, asking people to explain why they made choices.

Bizarrely, people started justifying a choice that they hadn't made. Left and right wing people started justifying choices that a few minutes previously had been contrary to their preferences.

How well do you understand your choices? Remarkably, this tactic has a lasting impact on choices.

Maybe you've been influenced far more than you realise! "

" An interesting article on BBC today, surrounding people's choices between two alternatives...and having to explain why.

Maybe you've been influenced far more than you realise!

"

Shag

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

Didn't people realise they were defending a preference they hadn't stated ?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Memory recall is really not good in the majority of people, so with subtle changes being suggested about something thats happened, in this instance being questioned, then these changes can almost be implanted, altering perception of whats actually happened or been said. People are on the whole, rather suggestable.

By *heslimoneMan  over a year ago

Deeside

That's an interesting one and experiments like that fascinate me. The human brain is geared up to try and fit in and to follow, if a respected voice of authority such as a scientist tells you something then there is a tendency to believe it or at least not question it, there have been many such experiments that point towards this herd mentality. Obviously there are a lot of complexities to any subject involving the brain and this behaviour doesn't apply to everyone, there will always be those that break the mould. I'd recommend reading the idiot brain, it fascinating.

As for me I'd love to believe i would stop and question the tester in such a scenario but how can anyone know without becoming a subject.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

This plays a massive part in politics - you vote for someone/thing without realising it means X, then later on you land up defending X as part of the reason you voted for them/it.

It's fucking infuriating, but yeh - part of the human condition!

"This plays a massive part in politics - you vote for someone/thing without realising it means X, then later on you land up defending X as part of the reason you voted for them/it.

It's fucking infuriating, but yeh - part of the human condition!"

I think it shows some people aren't as polarised as they think! Changing preferences isn't always bad.

» Add a new message to this topic