FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Fit bit/Fitness trackers accuracy..

Fit bit/Fitness trackers accuracy..

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

So i have had various trackers over the years and always had my doubts on how accurate the calorie burn stats it provides are..

On the app i entered all my stats like height/weight/DOB etc so the app is fully personalised with my details and the device i have has a Heart Rate monitor to track my activity..

What are your personal experience with these fitness trackers?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I don't have one because it's embarrassing how few steps I do a day.

My mate has one and I've watched it rack up 'steps' while she's sat having coffee and cake just from moving her hand around.

Never used one but I know a few who do.

Based on their experience and what I've read on accuracy of these they have big margins of error.

It's no surprise as theres so much more than height, weight, age and sex along with tracked heart rate that affects you calorie usage.

It's all based off generic algorithms taking into account those factors above.

Not to say they aren't a useful tool as a guide but figures should be taken with a pinch of salt.

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"So i have had various trackers over the years and always had my doubts on how accurate the calorie burn stats it provides are..

On the app i entered all my stats like height/weight/DOB etc so the app is fully personalised with my details and the device i have has a Heart Rate monitor to track my activity..

What are your personal experience with these fitness trackers? "

My garmin and knowing how its calculated is pretty good

"I don't have one because it's embarrassing how few steps I do a day.

My mate has one and I've watched it rack up 'steps' while she's sat having coffee and cake just from moving her hand around. "

Think i just wanna push myself and increase my activity little bit each day..

Im not gonna go all out and kill myself by commiting myself to Zumba classes each week dont get me wrong.. but do love that my wrist gives me a buzz each hour if i've been a lazy fuck lol

ashby de la zouch

"So i have had various trackers over the years and always had my doubts on how accurate the calorie burn stats it provides are..

My garmin and knowing how its calculated is pretty good "

I know this from 4 years tracking fat loss gain and measuring food intake

"Never used one but I know a few who do.

Based on their experience and what I've read on accuracy of these they have big margins of error.

It's no surprise as theres so much more than height, weight, age and sex along with tracked heart rate that affects you calorie usage.

Not to say they aren't a useful tool as a guide but figures should be taken with a pinch of salt."

Im gonna go on the basis that if its constantly wrong.. or out.. as long as its consistant then it can still be some kind of measure..

(that makes more sense in my mind anyways than it probably reads lol)

"I don't have one because it's embarrassing how few steps I do a day.

My mate has one and I've watched it rack up 'steps' while she's sat having coffee and cake just from moving her hand around.

Think i just wanna push myself and increase my activity little bit each day..

Im not gonna go all out and kill myself by commiting myself to Zumba classes each week dont get me wrong.. but do love that my wrist gives me a buzz each hour if i've been a lazy fuck lol "

I use My Fitness Pal and Map My Walk.

I use MFP to record everything I eat. At my age it's easy to forget I had 20 biscuits with my salad.

MMW I use when I go out walking. I'm not bothered about accuracy, it's just good to track how far I've gone and also it adds up the total for the week. 1 mile each day is 7 miles which is further than I used to go from the sofa to the fridge!

ashby de la zouch

"Never used one but I know a few who do.

Not to say they aren't a useful tool as a guide but figures should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Im gonna go on the basis that if its constantly wrong.. or out.. as long as its consistant then it can still be some kind of measure..

(that makes more sense in my mind anyways than it probably reads lol) "

It's not a daft reasoning

The fact is they have no need to be accurate per se

A tool to measure relative activities they work very very well

A little knowledge practice and experience one can simply calibrate the reading s

im in the frame of mind that anything that raises the heart rate is good,, so i do enthusiastic housework with music on

Theres loads of great mixes online of music and i'll just do my own little disco sessions

ya know that saying 'dance like no one is watching' well thats what i do haha

i dont like these things.

people got fit before all this tech got involved by hard work and dedication.

if anything i feel a fitness tracker/watch can put too much pressure on you.

you'll always be checking you bp rate or something and panic your about to have a heart attack.

no need.

My garmin and knowing how its calculated is pretty good "

I was going to say Garmin...

By *offee and KinksCouple  over a year ago

Notts/Derby

Ive had a fitbit and a samsung tracker .. i dont think either are that accurate .. neither seemed to take into account that my resting heart rate is around 48 so if it goes up to 120 thats really pushing it for me ... a HR of 170 is not achievable for every one..

By *uietlykinkymeWoman  over a year ago

kinky land

I use mine as a motivator but it has limitations, it often misses complete walks Then frequently the app doesn't credit all the stats over so I'm more meh about it as a product now and only use it as a time piece, rough guide & reminder (fitbit inspire hr)

ashby de la zouch

"i dont like these things.

you'll always be checking you bp rate or something and panic your about to have a heart attack.

no need."

I like to think

Some people got fit without

Some more people get fit with

They do no harm

"I use mine as a motivator but it has limitations, it often misses complete walks Then frequently the app doesn't credit all the stats over so I'm more meh about it as a product now and only use it as a time piece, rough guide & reminder (fitbit inspire hr) "

oh ive the lilac Fitbit Inspire HR.. will keep an eye out. Only had mine about a week x

"i dont like these things.

no need.

I like to think

Some people got fit without

Some more people get fit with

They do no harm

"

Yeah i see mine as measuring some 'base line' stuff

and trying to healthily and sensibly beating my own stats (even if wrong).. like 200 extra steps on the day before..

or over the weeks watching my resting heart rate going down

I have one on my phone but it’s not accurate as I don’t always have my phone on me. I only check it when I’m doing a lot more activity than usual. For example I went to the zoo Sunday and checked it to see how far we had walked

By *hedireCouple  over a year ago

wigan

I have 3 cheap ones. First was on sale at the range, but it snuffed it when i accidentally showered in it. So i got 2 cheap ones off Ebay tfat even do pulse rate and blood pressure. I seriously doubt the accuracy of the latter but the former can be done. However i find they disagree on steps when just mooching around but on an actual walk they agree. The apps are free and work out bmi from your profile and monitor sleep automatically. I don't know how accurate they are with kcals etc, but i did manually count my steps and the apps did agree with my numbers. 100 at a time and they were spot on, several times.

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

I had a fit bit, I didn't take the accuracy that seriously. But what I did use it for was to push myself increase my own activity levels. So it reminded me to move if I hadn't for a while. A group of us had weekday and weekend challenges so we got a bit competitive, but had a laugh too.

"I had a fit bit, I didn't take the accuracy that seriously. But what I did use it for was to push myself increase my own activity levels. So it reminded me to move if I hadn't for a while. A group of us had weekday and weekend challenges so we got a bit competitive, but had a laugh too.

"

oh yeah i sucked at those and bowed out cos was sick of coming last all the time haha

I use my Garmin watch to record my stats during activities such as runs, walks, paddleboarding etc but not at all times of the day. Then I view results on Strava.

Her x

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

"I had a fit bit, I didn't take the accuracy that seriously. But what I did use it for was to push myself increase my own activity levels. So it reminded me to move if I hadn't for a while. A group of us had weekday and weekend challenges so we got a bit competitive, but had a laugh too.

oh yeah i sucked at those and bowed out cos was sick of coming last all the time haha"

Compete against yourself, try and do a little more each week. You'll be surprised how much it makes a difference. By doing that I went from a size 22 down to a 14/16. Ill health has made me creep back up to a 18 but will get back down again no doubt

Theure pretty rubbish, my fitbitch went in the junk drawer. Totally inaccurate. I then tried the apple firness + that was worse so so bad. That also went in the drawer

For me , I got a garmin forerunner as I was bored over lockdown and wanted to get some motivation for running. If I compare my step readings to my partner who’s got a Fitbit , we always have different steps by quite a lot.

I don’t necessarily think the totals need to be 100% but more so, that they need to be consistent and if you can see improvement over time.

A few months into running more, my average resting heart rate over a month has dropped a beat per min for 3 months so it’s a pretty good motivator to see something improving

By *icearmsMan  over a year ago

KIDLINGTON

I use a garmin watch.. its been great and seems to be really accurate with running distances and cycling etc.

Its my second fitness watch and both have been good... i do feel these are definitely a case of invest a fair bit for good stable technology.. and upgrade every 3-4 years.

If mrs has fit bit on and wanks me off it gains over 3000 steps! I cum far too quick for me to vouch for the accuracy of those things.

They a scam

I don't think they are accurate really

» Add a new message to this topic