FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Black History Month.

Black History Month.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Happy Black History Month to my fellow Kings & Queens

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Solidarity xxx

History is about stories. About asking questions.

It's not just the most documented or most mainstream that are true or of value. History is not entertainment or nationalist propaganda. It can be ugly and confronting - and it should be. It's how we grow and do better as people.

People also do their own research too if they’re not aware of the history.

I’m glad that the school I went talked about black history.

This year I hope has opened peoples eyes to the struggles that we’re still facing.

Manchester (she/her)

"People also do their own research too if they’re not aware of the history.

I’m glad that the school I went talked about black history.

This year I hope has opened peoples eyes to the struggles that we’re still facing. "

I'm glad I got some at school, some in my church, my family encouraged these questions, etc.

I appreciate learning more and ever trying to do better. We've got a long way to go.

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"Happy Black History Month to my fellow Kings & Queens "

A month ?

Honestly I think world history should be discussed daily forever?

Manchester (she/her)

"Happy Black History Month to my fellow Kings & Queens

A month ?

Honestly I think world history should be discussed daily forever? "

Oh so much. It's necessary but not sufficient.

But there's so much we need to do, on so many levels, about so many things.

At least we try. We raise each other up, I hope. Work out what matters and how to make things better.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Happy Black History Month to my fellow Kings & Queens "

On what basis do you consider yourselves Kings and Queens?

Should be taught in all schools along with white history.

I left school with a great knowledge of the Tudors and WW2...anything I know about black history I had to find out for myself!

To me, that's ridiculous...

Black history is part of all of our history! It should be taught alongside what already is imo.

Lu

Manchester (she/her)

"Should be taught in all schools along with white history.

I left school with a great knowledge of the Tudors and WW2...anything I know about black history I had to find out for myself!

Black history is part of all of our history! It should be taught alongside what already is imo.

Lu "

It's telling what we prioritise and why.

Lu

It's telling what we prioritise and why."

Isn't it just?!

Manchester (she/her)

Lu

Isn't it just?! "

And it reverberates. The Australian PM apparently said a few months ago that Australia never had slavery.

He probably heard my brain go boom despite my considerable distance from Canberra

Lu

Isn't it just?!

And it reverberates. The Australian PM apparently said a few months ago that Australia never had slavery.

He probably heard my brain go boom despite my considerable distance from Canberra "

Sad thing is, most of the people spewing that nonsense think it's true. They don't know any better.

The rows I had with people over the statue that was ripped down (rightfully so) in Bristol are unreal!

Manchester (she/her)

Lu

Isn't it just?!

He probably heard my brain go boom despite my considerable distance from Canberra

Sad thing is, most of the people spewing that nonsense think it's true. They don't know any better.

The rows I had with people over the statue that was ripped down (rightfully so) in Bristol are unreal! "

Yeah. Christ.

There was a big debate when I was in high school about not allowing what they called "black armband history". We shouldn't mourn and we shouldn't apologise, we should be proud.

Go watch some crappy action film if you want to feel good about yourself. History doesn't give a shit about your feelings. We learn, we explore ourselves, we hopefully do better.

By *ecadent_DevonMan  over a year ago

Okehampton

https://youtu.be/FRnTovm26I4

A month ?

Honestly I think world history should be discussed daily forever? "

It is discussed A daily but it’s only recognised as a month to celebrate & appreciate the history.

Manchester (she/her)

A month ?

Honestly I think world history should be discussed daily forever?

It is discussed A daily but it’s only recognised as a month to celebrate & appreciate the history. "

Quite

By *r NeilMan  over a year ago

Lancs Mancs

Go back in history middle class karens (white women) always went off Black men but never took em home

By *r NeilMan  over a year ago

Lancs Mancs

"Go back in history middle class karens (white women) always went off Black men but never took em home "
No comments ??

On what basis do you consider yourselves Kings and Queens?"

I really don’t think the OP meant literally...

And rather used the term in a positive way.

"Go back in history middle class karens (white women) always went off Black men but never took em home "

Eah??

I think that most people lack knowledge of Asian history which is slightly disturbing considering that they account for 60% of the world's population. I'm not knocking Black History Month but lets not assume that history in schools is overly biased towards white history. As someone who has taught history in the past, we have to accept that as a historically predominantly white country, most of the major historical moments in this country involve white people. The history curriculum covers the slave trade, Walter Tull, the Civil Rights movement etc. There is a lot of history and it is difficult finding a balance of what to include. Queen Elizabeth is important to understand the difficulties of women in general. She is a particular highlight for our female students who can get disillusioned by tales of 'boring old men'. The boys tend to love the war whilst the space race helps engage those who think history is just about kings and queens. We are trying our best but there's only so many lessons and so much history. Embrace Black History Month and use it as a base to explore other history and not as a club to beat the education department. There's lots of history out there.

"I think that most people lack knowledge of Asian history which is slightly disturbing considering that they account for 60% of the world's population. I'm not knocking Black History Month but lets not assume that history in schools is overly biased towards white history. As someone who has taught history in the past, we have to accept that as a historically predominantly white country, most of the major historical moments in this country involve white people. The history curriculum covers the slave trade, Walter Tull, the Civil Rights movement etc. There is a lot of history and it is difficult finding a balance of what to include. Queen Elizabeth is important to understand the difficulties of women in general. She is a particular highlight for our female students who can get disillusioned by tales of 'boring old men'. The boys tend to love the war whilst the space race helps engage those who think history is just about kings and queens. We are trying our best but there's only so many lessons and so much history. Embrace Black History Month and use it as a base to explore other history and not as a club to beat the education department. There's lots of history out there."

Well said

80's baby here so was never taught, library's only seem to stock books at a basic level. It wasn't until I hit 18-19 I decided to dig up my heritage, origin of my surname which lead me exploring more about black history in general.

Manchester (she/her)

I'd absolutely agree that we need a broader understanding of history. Although I'd not seek to detract at all from Black History Month. There are very specific issues with our understanding of black history, which shouldn't be sidelined.

"I think that most people lack knowledge of Asian history which is slightly disturbing considering that they account for 60% of the world's population. I'm not knocking Black History Month but lets not assume that history in schools is overly biased towards white history. As someone who has taught history in the past, we have to accept that as a historically predominantly white country, most of the major historical moments in this country involve white people. The history curriculum covers the slave trade, Walter Tull, the Civil Rights movement etc. There is a lot of history and it is difficult finding a balance of what to include. Queen Elizabeth is important to understand the difficulties of women in general. She is a particular highlight for our female students who can get disillusioned by tales of 'boring old men'. The boys tend to love the war whilst the space race helps engage those who think history is just about kings and queens. We are trying our best but there's only so many lessons and so much history. Embrace Black History Month and use it as a base to explore other history and not as a club to beat the education department. There's lots of history out there."

100%

On what basis do you consider yourselves Kings and Queens?

I really don’t think the OP meant literally...

And rather used the term in a positive way.

"

Thank you! I use the terms ‘Kings’ & ‘Queens’ as a positive when complimenting people.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Black History month shouldn't exist. If it has to exist it should only exist as a starting point and as it's been around for years , change is too slow.

ALL of the above comments , to me, target the wrong people and have a goal, if, which reached, would be pyrrhic victory of immense proportions.

What proportion of the GLOBAL events of the past few thousand years can be experienced by a child in a classroom in Peckham during their 11 years in school whilst also cramming in a dozen other subjects?

How does that change minds and hearts and the future ?

A black person born in Britain this century does not have the history of a black African born this century, who in turn does not have a shared history with a black African taken as a slave to any place in the world for profit in the past.

So whose 'black history' should be taught ?

In that black history will black people be depicted as victims throughout ? What of the proud generations and tribes and their way of life ? What of the many black kings who profited from slavery long before western slavers came over ? Why does 'black history' only seem to start with that tiny sliver of all that went before and all that has gone on since ?

What is white history ? What is black history ? Who is going to decide THAT narrative ? What is relevant to today's children and communities ? Shouldn't it be uniting rather than divisive ?

I'm not saying blot out the past but the past exists in your head or it doesn't exist at all. A lot of 'cherry picking' goes on when finding 'facts' to prove YOUR history.

We need a new identity - we have to start leaving skin colour out of a lot of decisions. We have to stop holding on to hate.

How confusing for a Peckham child to be told he's a white person that enslaved black people when his world doesn't yet extend past mum, cornflakes, Christmas , telly and his mates.

How soul destroying for a child of African descent excitedly playing with an x box to have to contend with the constant racism brought about by their own British born kind who just won't stop trying to be African.

I don't believe i'm of English descent. I'm definitely white. I'm more interested in what my future will be.

Isn't it time to change the fucking tunes that we all try to out-sing each other with ?

When my bones are found next to your bones there'll be no skin on either skeleton.

Flesh out your life now.... do it for the good of all.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Black History month shouldn't exist. If it has to exist it should only exist as a starting point and as it's been around for years , change is too slow.

ALL of the above comments , to me, target the wrong people and have a goal, if, which reached, would be pyrrhic victory of immense proportions.

What proportion of the GLOBAL events of the past few thousand years can be experienced by a child in a classroom in Peckham during their 11 years in school whilst also cramming in a dozen other subjects?

A black person born in Britain this century does not have the history of a black African born this century, who in turn does not have a shared history with a black African taken as a slave to any place in the world for profit in the past.

In that black history will black people be depicted as victims throughout ? What of the proud generations and tribes and their way of life ? What of the many black kings who profited from slavery long before western slavers came over ? Why does 'black history' only seem to start with that tiny sliver of all that went before and all that has gone on since ?

What is white history ? What is black history ? Who is going to decide THAT narrative ? What is relevant to today's children and communities ? Shouldn't it be uniting rather than divisive ?

I'm not saying blot out the past but the past exists in your head or it doesn't exist at all. A lot of 'cherry picking' goes on when finding 'facts' to prove YOUR history.

We need a new identity - we have to start leaving skin colour out of a lot of decisions. We have to stop holding on to hate.

How confusing for a Peckham child to be told he's a white person that enslaved black people when his world doesn't yet extend past mum, cornflakes, Christmas , telly and his mates.

How soul destroying for a child of African descent excitedly playing with an x box to have to contend with the constant racism brought about by their own British born kind who just won't stop trying to be African.

I don't believe i'm of English descent. I'm definitely white. I'm more interested in what my future will be.

Isn't it time to change the fucking tunes that we all try to out-sing each other with ?

When my bones are found next to your bones there'll be no skin on either skeleton.

"

Good post..

By *hilloutMan  over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

"Black History month shouldn't exist. If it has to exist it should only exist as a starting point and as it's been around for years , change is too slow.

"

Finally someone who speaks sense. Best post i've seen here in a long time

By *tephanjMan  over a year ago

Kettering

"

this I so totally agree with best post ever

Manchester (she/her)

Sure, Granny. These are some of the issues going on in the background. Whose history, what history, that sort of thing. But that 11 year old from Peckham is influenced by whatever it is he's taught, and why should we confuse him with whitewashed nationalism either?

We make choices about what to include and exclude. We make choices about the perspective we take.

Black History Month should not exist because there shouldn't be a need. And yet here we are. It exists. There's a need.

By *arlomaleMan  over a year ago

darlington

"Sure, Granny. These are some of the issues going on in the background. Whose history, what history, that sort of thing. But that 11 year old from Peckham is influenced by whatever it is he's taught, and why should we confuse him with whitewashed nationalism either?

We make choices about what to include and exclude. We make choices about the perspective we take.

Black History Month should not exist because there shouldn't be a need. And yet here we are. It exists. There's a need."

white washed nationalism?

By *ab jamesMan  over a year ago

ribble valley

Good post.."

Great Post. I thought its another thing that's separating people. What about a month for different people's, such as Asian history month, Far Eastern history month, Innuit history month, aboriginal history month etc. I don't like separating people with different skin colours. Why can't we have just "history month?

Manchester (she/her)

"Sure, Granny. These are some of the issues going on in the background. Whose history, what history, that sort of thing. But that 11 year old from Peckham is influenced by whatever it is he's taught, and why should we confuse him with whitewashed nationalism either?

Black History Month should not exist because there shouldn't be a need. And yet here we are. It exists. There's a need. white washed nationalism?"

The way in which history is taught in many countries is about enhancing an ideal of their community not looking to others or challenging students. It does no one favours.

"

You say we have to start leaving skin colour out of it, which is easy to say for a lot of people.

The moment we start leaving skin colour out of things is the moment people stop caring about discrimination & racism. There’s nothing wrong with embracing the differences in us.

BHM isn’t about trying to dim another cultures light or only talk about slavery like so many think it is.

The whole point of BHM is to educate people about Black History which doesn’t just include slavery, because that’s all many of us were taught in school.

Watch Roots or Mississippi Burning and learn about the slave trade...

There is so much more and so many other influential figures who deserve to be known. Mary Seacole, Ignatius Sancho, Harriet Tubman, Booker T Washington, I could go on...

Every single year when BHM comes around someone will say “When is white history month” it’s almost like some people want to make it into a competition.

BHM was started 90+ years ago & so many of us have learned so much about our own history because of it.

Kettering

History is history what ever colour of skin you are. In Britain we teach mostly British history, if you go to any other country they also teach their own countries history

Manchester (she/her)

Blindness to race is now a discredited idea. It doesn't work.

By *hat BlokeMan  over a year ago

Harrogate

Lots of black people from European and American history have been whitewashed out of existence. As well as Indians and other ethnic groups. It may not be possible to teach it all but indications could be made to the positive impact they have made in so many fields of human endeavour.

Hopefully one day we will all be “colour”blind

Manchester (she/her)

"History is history what ever colour of skin you are. In Britain we teach mostly British history, if you go to any other country they also teach their own countries history "

But Britain makes choices about the history it teaches. And many of those erase and delegitimise those they/we subjugated or attempted genocide against.

We need to re-evaluate how history is taught. Now more than ever.

Manchester (she/her)

"Lots of black people from European and American history have been whitewashed out of existence. As well as Indians and other ethnic groups. It may not be possible to teach it all but indications could be made to the positive impact they have made in so many fields of human endeavour.

"

Yes!

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

"I'd absolutely agree that we need a broader understanding of history. Although I'd not seek to detract at all from Black History Month. There are very specific issues with our understanding of black history, which shouldn't be sidelined."

True. But couldn't the same be said about our understanding (based on school teaching) of many other parts of history which still have significance today, the British Raj for example or the way in which we learn about World War 2 in schools?

Are all other races irrelevant now

[Removed by poster at 04/10/20 08:46:42]

"Are all other races irrelevant now"

Yes of course.

Manchester (she/her)

"I'd absolutely agree that we need a broader understanding of history. Although I'd not seek to detract at all from Black History Month. There are very specific issues with our understanding of black history, which shouldn't be sidelined.

True. But couldn't the same be said about our understanding (based on school teaching) of many other parts of history which still have significance today, the British Raj for example or the way in which we learn about World War 2 in schools?"

Sure. But this is about black history right now.

Manchester (she/her)

"History is history what ever colour of skin you are. In Britain we teach mostly British history, if you go to any other country they also teach their own countries history

This wasn’t the revelation you think it was.

Black people have been in British history since the 15th Century yet at school you won’t get taught about the first recorded black person in Britain called Cornelius, who knows about that?

You’ll get taught about the slave trade for the most part, some will touch on Rosa Parks or Civil Rights, but they leave out a hell of a lot. "

Didn't grow up here.

Did you learn about the complete genocide of Tasmanian Australians?

King's Crustacean

Black History Month should not exist because there shouldn't be a need. And yet here we are. It exists. There's a need."

Well I guess Black History Month ( 1976 U.S. ) is a step up from Negro week 1926. ( I shit you not )

Roll on 2026 maybe ( if im alive ) it'll have a new title and be five weeks long.

I find it patronising and to a great extent more divisive than informative.

Manchester (she/her)

It's a change in emphasis. I doubt any of our grandparents learned much about genetics or DNA in school. I did, and I'm sure kids today learn a lot more. The sky hasn't fallen in. The syllabus changed.

We tweak. We remove a few kings and queens from the syllabus. We discuss things in a different way rather than a narrow view of what history should be.

... That's how history is done. That's how any area of education happens

"History is history what ever colour of skin you are. In Britain we teach mostly British history, if you go to any other country they also teach their own countries history

Black people have been in British history since the 15th Century yet at school you won’t get taught about the first recorded black person in Britain called Cornelius, who knows about that?

You’ll get taught about the slave trade for the most part, some will touch on Rosa Parks or Civil Rights, but they leave out a hell of a lot.

Didn't grow up here.

Did you learn about the complete genocide of Tasmanian Australians? "

I didn’t! That was the 1800s right?

I didn’t learn about the Tulsa Race Massacre, Baptist War, Haitian Revolution, Windrush, and so many other things that are vital parts of history in my opinion.

Kettering

Once again I say history is history in the past a lot of it is not nice. Hopefully we learn from the mistakes made. History taught in schools should cover all history

Manchester (she/her)

Black History Month should not exist because there shouldn't be a need. And yet here we are. It exists. There's a need.

Well I guess Black History Month ( 1976 U.S. ) is a step up from Negro week 1926. ( I shit you not )

Roll on 2026 maybe ( if im alive ) it'll have a new title and be five weeks long.

I find it patronising and to a great extent more divisive than informative. "

Ok. When the issues have been appropriately handled then maybe it can be taken away.

In this instance disruption and division is required.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"

What a brilliant intelligent observation. Very well said.

King's Crustacean

"Blindness to race is now a discredited idea. It doesn't work."

I want to be left out of that idea.... I wasn't even hinting at being blind to race...

Manchester (she/her)

You’ll get taught about the slave trade for the most part, some will touch on Rosa Parks or Civil Rights, but they leave out a hell of a lot.

Didn't grow up here.

Did you learn about the complete genocide of Tasmanian Australians?

I didn’t! That was the 1800s right?

I didn’t learn about the Tulsa Race Massacre, Baptist War, Haitian Revolution, Windrush, and so many other things that are vital parts of history in my opinion.

"

Yes (the last Tasmanian Aboriginal person died in 1860. The genocide succeeded). The legacy isn't nice.

Britain has done both great and terrible things, and we can teach children both

If you go to the desert and catch 100 red fire ants as well as 100 large black ants and put them in a jar, at first, nothing will happen.

However, if you violently shake the jar and dump them back on the ground the ants will fight until they eventually kill each other

The thing is, the red ants think the black ants are the enemy and vice versa, when in reality, the real enemy is the person who shook the jar

This is exactly what’s happening in society today

and also perhaps on this post.

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

"I'd absolutely agree that we need a broader understanding of history. Although I'd not seek to detract at all from Black History Month. There are very specific issues with our understanding of black history, which shouldn't be sidelined.

True. But couldn't the same be said about our understanding (based on school teaching) of many other parts of history which still have significance today, the British Raj for example or the way in which we learn about World War 2 in schools?

Sure. But this is about black history right now."

I don't take away from the importance of Black History Month, I just think that for progress sake we need to incorporate it (and other non European history) into our learning and teaching rather than having a stand alone month.

As for World War 2, we need to stop thinking of it as being white history, because it isn't.

Manchester (she/her)

"If you go to the desert and catch 100 red fire ants as well as 100 large black ants and put them in a jar, at first, nothing will happen.

However, if you violently shake the jar and dump them back on the ground the ants will fight until they eventually kill each other

The thing is, the red ants think the black ants are the enemy and vice versa, when in reality, the real enemy is the person who shook the jar

and also perhaps on this post."

No justice, no peace.

Kettering

Ok I give up didn't realise that we taught young children university level history

Manchester (she/her)

Sure. But this is about black history right now.

I don't take away from the importance of Black History Month, I just think that for progress sake we need to incorporate it (and other non European history) into our learning and teaching rather than having a stand alone month.

As for World War 2, we need to stop thinking of it as being white history, because it isn't."

Absolutely. Tweak of perspective. Remove a few kings and queens in the syllabus (even in my syllabus in Australia and *honestly why*) in favour of things that have real consequences today. Windrush, policies of genocide, slavery. Attitudes in India. The White Australia Policy as a knock on effect of the Chinese doing well in the late 19th century gold rushes (including knock on prejudice against Europeans from outside the north west)

Manchester (she/her)

"Ok I give up didn't realise that we taught young children university level history"

We don't. We just shouldn't lie to them so much. Hope this helps

"If you go to the desert and catch 100 red fire ants as well as 100 large black ants and put them in a jar, at first, nothing will happen.

and also perhaps on this post."

I disagree.

Sure that’s happening in regards to BLM, I’ve seen the ever increasing casual racism since BLM this year.

However Black History Month for the most part is education for all, most people understand what it is for and they celebrate it and find out things they never would.

It’s not about sowing division, that already happened when people try to erase history or only teach one aspect of it.

This aims to do the opposite.

Manchester (she/her)

I disagree.

Sure that’s happening in regards to BLM, I’ve seen the ever increasing casual racism since BLM this year.

However Black History Month for the most part is education for all, most people understand what it is for and they celebrate it and find out things they never would.

It’s not about sowing division, that already happened when people try to erase history or only teach one aspect of it.

This aims to do the opposite. "

The division already existed.

It's just the majority groups had the privilege of being able to turn their backs.

Enough.

I disagree.

This aims to do the opposite. "

Zero tuition in Scotland regarding Highland Clearance's

In the states I clearly remember black history month. It would delve into slavery and a number of notable black american figures all the way up to the civil rights movement. While the people and accomplishments were pertinent, I never understood the need to single them out instead of including them in the general history curriculum. It made me wonder that eventually Asians, native americans and latinos would ask for their own specific history months. In my view that would fragment American history in general where everyone would be clamouring for more relevance over the other. That doesn't build a national identity, it destroys it.

As far as the UK is concerned, what part of black history could not be part of the general curriculum (outside of university level studies?). Unless you're importing american black history there isn't anything of relevance there to make a specific month about it. Is to raise awareness? If so awareness of what, racism? Minorities in western countries have equal rights under the law and more protection than any minorities anywhere else on this earth.

darlington

Sure. But this is about black history right now."

as you say it’s about black history so hopefully the likes of mugabee and idi amin get a mention along with the evil Winnie Mandela

King's Crustacean

Agreed PYT but it's well time that such things were par for the course and not dusted off and wheeled out once per year for four weeks.

I disagree.

It's just the majority groups had the privilege of being able to turn their backs.

Enough."

Very true.

It’s interesting that some don’t notice the division until someone attempts to do something to change it, like BHM for example.

You’ll never hear “Why don’t we teach all history” in the middle of August for example, you’ll only hear it in October when it’s Black History Month which is very telling.

King's Crustacean

Damn...... that was to PYT but I never quoted.

Tin town

I find it patronising and to a great extent more divisive than informative. "

Why stop at a month? Let's make it a term? ... Or maybe a year?

Why stop at history...?

Lets have black science month? Black geography month? Black languages month?

I'm not saying there is no issue. I'm saying by giving it a label you are instantly creating a divide. Find a better way to learn racism is wrong.

When we are doing black special month... What bit have we decided to drop? Because we can't teach everything from every race to everyone in a short school career?

Balance is needed yep. Review it often if it needs it yep. But I have two great kids who were taught well at school and at home and don't have a racist bone in their body. You can't use a broad brush to paint what are individual choices.

Kettering

"Ok I give up didn't realise that we taught young children university level history

We don't. We just shouldn't lie to them so much. Hope this helps "

I didn't take much history when I was at school it was pretty basic mostly old stuff about Roman Britain and Vikings all trying to wipe out the British people

By *av_55Man  over a year ago

NE

Teach history from a very early age and religion from say 10-12 . I would like to think it would Solve half the worlds problems . Thoughts please ?

"If so awareness of what, racism? Minorities in western countries have equal rights under the law and more protection than any minorities anywhere else on this earth. "

Does this mean minorities do not suffer racism? Or that because we have equality racism shouldn’t be addressed?

"Damn...... that was to PYT but I never quoted."

Haha! I saw it! Don’t worry.

King's Crustacean

I disagree.

Enough.

Very true.

It’s interesting that some don’t notice the division until someone attempts to do something to change it, like BHM for example.

You’ll never hear “Why don’t we teach all history” in the middle of August for example, you’ll only hear it in October when it’s Black History Month which is very telling. "

Well if you're going to insist on it EVERY year what do you expect ? ( shut up those who can't read irony )

This is why I say that change is too slow..... there shouldn't be a black history month.

I don't hear about MY history either. I'm not a member of the royal family or related to Robert the Bruce or Cromwell...... or for that matter Guy Fucking Fawkes.

I do rather like Working Class History and Women's History...... funny that.

Manchester (she/her)

"In the states I clearly remember black history month. It would delve into slavery and a number of notable black american figures all the way up to the civil rights movement. While the people and accomplishments were pertinent, I never understood the need to single them out instead of including them in the general history curriculum. It made me wonder that eventually Asians, native americans and latinos would ask for their own specific history months. In my view that would fragment American history in general where everyone would be clamouring for more relevance over the other. That doesn't build a national identity, it destroys it.

As far as the UK is concerned, what part of black history could not be part of the general curriculum (outside of university level studies?). Unless you're importing american black history there isn't anything of relevance there to make a specific month about it. Is to raise awareness? If so awareness of what, racism? Minorities in western countries have equal rights under the law and more protection than any minorities anywhere else on this earth. "

The effects of colonisation, the slave trade, the abuse of non-white former colonies, European interference in Africa, regarding indigenous peoples as non human and the appalling policies to eradicate them.

Histories often soften the effects of these things and make them appear less bad than they were. The archetypal dinner party among friends as the first American Thanksgiving, among other lies.

All of which have ongoing effects in the UK and in other countries, despite what might be enshrined in law.

It should be integrated, you're absolutely right. But until integration isn't assimilation, then the issues need to be raised.

And the fragility of the majority should not be catered to.

darlington

"Ok I give up didn't realise that we taught young children university level history

We don't. We just shouldn't lie to them so much. Hope this helps

I didn't take much history when I was at school it was pretty basic mostly old stuff about Roman Britain and Vikings all trying to wipe out the British people"

they left out the bits when the brits plundered the globe

Manchester (she/her)

I disagree.

Enough.

Very true.

You’ll never hear “Why don’t we teach all history” in the middle of August for example, you’ll only hear it in October when it’s Black History Month which is very telling. "

When do people search for international men's day?

On international women's day.

They don't actually care, they just want the other people to shut up.

King's Crustacean

"Teach history from a very early age and religion from say 10-12 . I would like to think it would Solve half the worlds problems . Thoughts please ? "

Religion?.......... RELIGION?

"as you say it’s about black history so hopefully the likes of mugabee and idi amin get a mention along with the evil Winnie Mandela "

Are you proposing we teach them as positive characters like we do with Churchill et al, whitewashing the bad things and calling them "a product of their time"?

"If so awareness of what, racism? Minorities in western countries have equal rights under the law and more protection than any minorities anywhere else on this earth.

Does this mean minorities do not suffer racism? Or that because we have equality racism shouldn’t be addressed?"

How is there racism if there's equality? What other society besides western society offers equal rights whose violation are punishable by law?

By *ily WhiteWoman  over a year ago

?

"

In my experience, the history that I was taught at school was mainly about the main factors that shaped Britain into what it is today, the monarchy, government, social structures etc. To me it's important that children have a knowledge of the country that they are being raised in, to understand why it is like it is. There is only so much that can be taught in anyone's school years, so the curriculum has to include the basic foundation blocks of knowledge to be built upon throughout life, it is then up to people to continue learning about other things (or not, if they choose not to). What I learnt at school is a tiny part of my overall knowledge, but I have an inquisitive mind and like to learn and understand. Some people are happy to go through life not understanding the ins and outs of everything that they happen upon, and that's entirely their prerogative - no amount of shouting from the rooftops is going to change them, people will ultimately learn and know the most about the things that are important to them personally.

By *os19Man  over a year ago

Edmonton

At work we celebrate black history month by having a diversity and inclusion day.This tends to involve staff cooking their countries various dishes so that some of us from different cultures can try their dishes and vice versa and also dressing up in traditional dress.This can lead to a relaxed day at work and makes everyone feel a part of things.

I disagree.

Enough.

Very true.

You’ll never hear “Why don’t we teach all history” in the middle of August for example, you’ll only hear it in October when it’s Black History Month which is very telling.

When do people search for international men's day?

On international women's day.

They don't actually care, they just want the other people to shut up."

Exactly!

Manchester (she/her)

"If so awareness of what, racism? Minorities in western countries have equal rights under the law and more protection than any minorities anywhere else on this earth.

Does this mean minorities do not suffer racism? Or that because we have equality racism shouldn’t be addressed?

How is there racism if there's equality? What other society besides western society offers equal rights whose violation are punishable by law?"

You think there's equality?

"How is there racism if there's equality? What other society besides western society offers equal rights whose violation are punishable by law?"

Are you asking how racism exists if we made it illegal? Because.. we haven't made racism illegal. You can see racism in display on this thread, throughout Fabs and throughout wider society.

We've made people equal under law (in theory) - not banned racism.

I am going to shut up right now and take the dog out for a walk, appreciate this lovely Autumn morning,

keep up the debate from your armchairs

darlington

"as you say it’s about black history so hopefully the likes of mugabee and idi amin get a mention along with the evil Winnie Mandela

Are you proposing we teach them as positive characters like we do with Churchill et al, whitewashing the bad things and calling them "a product of their time"?"

I just hope they don’t gloss over what the likes of amin and mugabee did and the same for Mandela and I don’t see the comparison with Churchill but then I only did gcse history perhaps you can enlighten me to how you can compare what chrurchill did that compares to them

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

Karen is, in the main a working class name. This typical insult about mainly women who are middle aged is also discriminatory and, aims to shut up older women or disregard them.

"In the states I clearly remember black history month. It would delve into slavery and a number of notable black american figures all the way up to the civil rights movement. While the people and accomplishments were pertinent, I never understood the need to single them out instead of including them in the general history curriculum. It made me wonder that eventually Asians, native americans and latinos would ask for their own specific history months. In my view that would fragment American history in general where everyone would be clamouring for more relevance over the other. That doesn't build a national identity, it destroys it.

As far as the UK is concerned, what part of black history could not be part of the general curriculum (outside of university level studies?). Unless you're importing american black history there isn't anything of relevance there to make a specific month about it. Is to raise awareness? If so awareness of what, racism? Minorities in western countries have equal rights under the law and more protection than any minorities anywhere else on this earth.

The effects of colonisation, the slave trade, the abuse of non-white former colonies, European interference in Africa, regarding indigenous peoples as non human and the appalling policies to eradicate them.

Histories often soften the effects of these things and make them appear less bad than they were. The archetypal dinner party among friends as the first American Thanksgiving, among other lies.

All of which have ongoing effects in the UK and in other countries, despite what might be enshrined in law.

It should be integrated, you're absolutely right. But until integration isn't assimilation, then the issues need to be raised.

And the fragility of the majority should not be catered to."

That's not black history. That's imperial and colonial history which is already taught. If its "whitewashed" or sanitised, I don't know. History is always written by the winners. At least its acknowledged to some extent in the west. The Ottomans were one of the largest slave traders. You think they give that much moral relevance in Turkish schools?

If people want to know the "nuances" of history they can either study it on their own (like me) or go to uni. That's what history majors are for.

How is there racism if there's equality? What other society besides western society offers equal rights whose violation are punishable by law?"

You don’t think there’s racism because we have equality laws?

You don’t think discrimination can still happen? If someone doesn’t want to give someone a job because they’re Asian for example they’re hardly going to come out and say it are they? They’ll just use another reason.

Look up Ruby Williams and how she won her discrimination case, where she was sent home because of her hair in Hackney.

Or the black woman who was told to get a job in Harrods she needs to straighten her afro hair. Equality laws doesn’t stop discrimination from happening, it probably lessens it and means those who do it can be prosecuted.

I’m amazed that anyone can think because we have equality laws that racism has just magically been eradicated.

I must’ve imagined all those racist experiences I’ve had from individuals.

"I just hope they don’t gloss over what the likes of amin and mugabee did and the same for Mandela and I don’t see the comparison with Churchill but then I only did gcse history perhaps you can enlighten me to how you can compare what chrurchill did that compares to them "

You do realise that holding black people to higher standards than white people is.. well, racism.

Also: having strong opinions about famous black people but not knowing the bad things about Winston fucking Churchill _stinks_ of racism.

Do you read what you write or is it accidental.

By *-4pleasureCouple  over a year ago

Belfast

Disruption and division is required

No justice no peace

Every post of yours reminds me of the Jam’s “Eton Rifles”.....

"How is there racism if there's equality? What other society besides western society offers equal rights whose violation are punishable by law?

Are you asking how racism exists if we made it illegal? Because.. we haven't made racism illegal. You can see racism in display on this thread, throughout Fabs and throughout wider society.

We've made people equal under law (in theory) - not banned racism."

Has anyone made a racist comment on this thread? I haven't seen one. Unless you believe a differing opinion is racist of course.

Manchester (she/her)

"as you say it’s about black history so hopefully the likes of mugabee and idi amin get a mention along with the evil Winnie Mandela

Are you proposing we teach them as positive characters like we do with Churchill et al, whitewashing the bad things and calling them "a product of their time"?"

Let's not white wash anyone. Churchill was a terrible person. And a product of his time. And did great things. It's not hard.

Tin town

In my experience, the history that I was taught at school was mainly about the main factors that shaped Britain into what it is today, the monarchy, government, social structures etc. To me it's important that children have a knowledge of the country that they are being raised in, to understand why it is like it is. There is only so much that can be taught in anyone's school years, so the curriculum has to include the basic foundation blocks of knowledge to be built upon throughout life, it is then up to people to continue learning about other things (or not, if they choose not to). What I learnt at school is a tiny part of my overall knowledge, but I have an inquisitive mind and like to learn and understand. Some people are happy to go through life not understanding the ins and outs of everything that they happen upon, and that's entirely their prerogative - no amount of shouting from the rooftops is going to change them, people will ultimately learn and know the most about the things that are important to them personally. "

Exactly, you're a kid in a school in Britain, in the hour a week you have to learn history, any right minded educator would think I'll use that hour to encourage interest in what is most relevant. Not black or white or chinese (how relevant is that right now?) but British. If time permits... Let's look further afield.

For those who want to further study history, they can make choices to do so. If they don't want to you can't force them to, any more than you can force someone to have interest in pe or science or languages.

Yes... Make sure the curiculum is balanced and legal but enough division. Or we can start having gay history week or as someone threw in above add religion... If its relevant.. Include it.

Can't say white wash it's racist

King's Crustacean

"I am going to shut up right now and take the dog out for a walk, appreciate this lovely Autumn morning,

keep up the debate from your armchairs "

How antiquated..... I've been out walking for hours.

I'm debating from a wild and windy beach.

King's Crustacean

"Can't say white wash it's racist"

Hmmmmmmm thread in itself that Dash.....

I like the Dulux range with a hint of pink.

"Has anyone made a racist comment on this thread? I haven't seen one. Unless you believe a differing opinion is racist of course."

Yes. Some of them have been removed after reporting, and the mods tend to remove messages calling out racism.

Having a differing opinion isn't racist - sharing a racist opinion is racist.

Manchester (she/her)

"

That's not black history. That's imperial and colonial history which is already taught. If its "whitewashed" or sanitised, I don't know. History is always written by the winners. At least its acknowledged to some extent in the west. The Ottomans were one of the largest slave traders. You think they give that much moral relevance in Turkish schools?

If people want to know the "nuances" of history they can either study it on their own (like me) or go to uni. That's what history majors are for."

Before I got one (although be mindful it's not a concept in this country in the main ) I was fortunate enough to have extra curricular education in such things and its ongoing implications in the society I live in. Not just "a bunch of European dudes explored the planet and found wonderful things and then Britain sent people to Australia for terrible reasons, bad Britain" (because yes, we do teach history differently in Australia). Later, also before I got my history major, I was fortunate at school to have teachers on the ball to discuss the (then current) historiographical debate involving the then prime minister, about "black armband" history: he wanted to minimise or erase any Australian history that didn't contribute to patriotism. In that same class I was able to do an independent project on the rise of Afrocentric perspectives in classical history.

And this has made me a more rounded human being. And all children should have the same opportunity and privilege I did. To see the world through multiple perspectives.

Our children deserve better than this anaemic patriotic mess they seem to be left with.

How is there racism if there's equality? What other society besides western society offers equal rights whose violation are punishable by law?

You don’t think discrimination can still happen? If someone doesn’t want to give someone a job because they’re Asian for example they’re hardly going to come out and say it are they? They’ll just use another reason.

Look up Ruby Williams and how she won her discrimination case, where she was sent home because of her hair in Hackney.

Or the black woman who was told to get a job in Harrods she needs to straighten her afro hair. Equality laws doesn’t stop discrimination from happening, it probably lessens it and means those who do it can be prosecuted.

I’m amazed that anyone can think because we have equality laws that racism has just magically been eradicated.

I must’ve imagined all those racist experiences I’ve had from individuals. "

She won her case didn't she? Shows how protection laws are working. Racism has always existed in every country and EVERY race has been guilty of it. The west does more to protect minorities than anyone, yet its "the great evil".

Candance Owens put it brilliantly when she stated that a perpetual victimhood mentality is a brilliant way to deflect from the shortcomings of one's own community. Always easier to blame others for your problems and never address yours.

"She won her case didn't she? Shows how protection laws are working. Racism has always existed in every country and EVERY race has been guilty of it. The west does more to protect minorities than anyone, yet its "the great evil".

Candance Owens put it brilliantly when she stated that a perpetual victimhood mentality is a brilliant way to deflect from the shortcomings of one's own community. Always easier to blame others for your problems and never address yours."

Saying that people suffering racism are guilty of "perpetual victimhood mentality" is a great example of racism.

You can critique Western society while still believing it's overall better on human rights and equality than other societies. It's not either/or.

Manchester (she/her)

She won her case didn't she? Shows how protection laws are working. Racism has always existed in every country and EVERY race has been guilty of it. The west does more to protect minorities than anyone, yet its "the great evil".

Candance Owens put it brilliantly when she stated that a perpetual victimhood mentality is a brilliant way to deflect from the shortcomings of one's own community. Always easier to blame others for your problems and never address yours."

And winning cases is not without cost? And every battle goes to trial? And the law is always enforced?

Maybe we should study how these things are done and if they work... Oh wait we do.

Manchester (she/her)

"She won her case didn't she? Shows how protection laws are working. Racism has always existed in every country and EVERY race has been guilty of it. The west does more to protect minorities than anyone, yet its "the great evil".

Candance Owens put it brilliantly when she stated that a perpetual victimhood mentality is a brilliant way to deflect from the shortcomings of one's own community. Always easier to blame others for your problems and never address yours.

Saying that people suffering racism are guilty of "perpetual victimhood mentality" is a great example of racism.

You can critique Western society while still believing it's overall better on human rights and equality than other societies. It's not either/or."

Complaining that your ancestors harmed people (or benefited from it), that you benefit from it, and other people are sick of this shit, is the very epitome of white privilege.

(Am working on my ongoing white privilege. It's fucking insidious)

So because she won her case that makes her ordeal okay? It was a settlement out of court three years after the incident.

It doesn’t matter what a country does to protect it, that naturally should be a thing. You seem to imply racism doesn’t exist because of the Equality Act 2010. A decade old Act means racism doesn’t exists to you...

Yeah Candace Owens is a great woman who is brutally honest. But I’m not sure what her talking about some people playing the victim has to do with you trying to deny racism exists because of the Equality Act.

Always easier to protest racism doesn’t exist when you’re not on the receiving end. Always easier to search out todays most popular conservative and say you agree with them when talking about racism...

darlington

[Removed by poster at 04/10/20 09:37:48]

You can critique Western society while still believing it's overall better on human rights and equality than other societies. It's not either/or."

Absolutely.

Of course everyone who talks about racism has a victim mentality, wants to blame everyone else for their failings and is over exaggerating their experiences.

Of course since the Equality Act 2010 racism has disappeared in the the mountain and no longer exists.

Oh the joys of being able to deny racism and discrimination don’t exists.

Manchester (she/her)

So because she won her case that makes her ordeal okay? It was a settlement out of court three years after the incident.

It doesn’t matter what a country does to protect it, that naturally should be a thing. You seem to imply racism doesn’t exist because of the Equality Act 2010. A decade old Act means racism doesn’t exists to you...

Yeah Candace Owens is a great woman who is brutally honest. But I’m not sure what her talking about some people playing the victim has to do with you trying to deny racism exists because of the Equality Act.

Always easier to protest racism doesn’t exist when you’re not on the receiving end. Always easier to search out todays most popular conservative and say you agree with them when talking about racism... "

Selective searching to suit your agenda - yes, very much a common problem. It's difficult to delve in, sometimes emotionally confronting, but worth it for the purposes of both intellectual honesty and personal growth.

Sorry my post shouldn’t said;

Always easier to protest racism doesn’t exist when you’re not on the receiving end. Always easier to search out todays most popular BLACK conservative and say you agree with them when talking about racism...

There's a difference between isolated, individual cases of racism and generalised racism society wide. The latter doesn't exist in the UK. Otherwise anti discrimination laws wouldn't exist.

darlington

"I just hope they don’t gloss over what the likes of amin and mugabee did and the same for Mandela and I don’t see the comparison with Churchill but then I only did gcse history perhaps you can enlighten me to how you can compare what chrurchill did that compares to them

You do realise that holding black people to higher standards than white people is.. well, racism.

Also: having strong opinions about famous black people but not knowing the bad things about Winston fucking Churchill _stinks_ of racism.

Do you read what you write or is it accidental."

I wasn’t holding any one in higher standards you’re trying to turn this into some else and all I was saying was I hope the likes of idi bob and Winnie get a mention and as for good old Churchill he did what he had to do I don’t remember him endorsing the necklacing of his own like Winnie fucking Mandela

Manchester (she/her)

You can critique Western society while still believing it's overall better on human rights and equality than other societies. It's not either/or.

There's a difference between isolated, individual cases of racism and generalised racism society wide. The latter doesn't exist in the UK. Otherwise anti discrimination laws wouldn't exist."

That's shockingly naive for someone of moderate intellect.

"I just hope they don’t gloss over what the likes of amin and mugabee did and the same for Mandela and I don’t see the comparison with Churchill but then I only did gcse history perhaps you can enlighten me to how you can compare what chrurchill did that compares to them

Do you read what you write or is it accidental. I wasn’t holding any one in higher standards you’re trying to turn this into some else and all I was saying was I hope the likes of idi bob and Winnie get a mention and as for good old Churchill he did what he had to do I don’t remember him endorsing the necklacing of his own like Winnie fucking Mandela "

You’re right Churchill didn’t endorse the necklacing of his own.

He just contributed to the deaths of three million people instead.

Manchester (she/her)

We've hit "black people do bad things too". Ok.

"We've hit "black people do bad things too". Ok."

The way some people talk it’s as if we are a whole other species...

Manchester (she/her)

"We've hit "black people do bad things too". Ok.

The way some people talk it’s as if we are a whole other species... "

Yeah. I hear historical echoes

"There's a difference between isolated, individual cases of racism and generalised racism society wide. The latter doesn't exist in the UK. Otherwise anti discrimination laws wouldn't exist."

Okay, so: either you believe that white people are superior, or you believe that there is structural racism in the UK holding back, amongst other people, black people.

Like, the only other option is to close your eyes and hold your fingers in your ears. Just go and do a cursory (not cherry-picked) search of statistics on outcomes of.. well, almost anything, when broken down by ethnicity.

There are only two cogent beliefs in the face of that data.

Always easier to protest racism doesn’t exist when you’re not on the receiving end. Always easier to search out todays most popular BLACK conservative and say you agree with them when talking about racism...

"

You mean the same woman labeled as an "uncle tom" by many in her own community? For calling out black on black violence and how its not "whities" fault its happening? For calling out the glorification of the worst aspects of their community that is prevalent in rap music? For calling out the idolising of violent, convicted felons that people riot and burn down their own communities in the name of? For calling out the lack of a family unit and the absence of fathers? For the black genocide that's occured through abortion? For rightly calling out that the founder of planned parenthood, Margaret Sanger was a true racist that wanted to cull the black population? And lastly, for calling out BLM as hypocrites because they don't focus on these issues?

Yeah, that one. Terrible person isn't she?

Manchester (she/her)

"There's a difference between isolated, individual cases of racism and generalised racism society wide. The latter doesn't exist in the UK. Otherwise anti discrimination laws wouldn't exist.

Okay, so: either you believe that white people are superior, or you believe that there is structural racism in the UK holding back, amongst other people, black people.

Like, the only other option is to close your eyes and hold your fingers in your ears. Just go and do a cursory (not cherry-picked) search of statistics on outcomes of.. well, almost anything, when broken down by ethnicity.

There are only two cogent beliefs in the face of that data."

Some people suffer worse outcomes because they deserve it or there are factors standing in their way.

Some individuals may well be intrinsically bad people. I'm not for a moment discounting individual responsibility, and this nuance can be lost.

But with the figures that exist, with the realities faced: there's much more going on here than lots of ethnic minorities happening to be bad people.

(And some ethnic minorities succeed. Privilege is intersectional )

Manchester (she/her)

You mean the same woman labeled as an "uncle tom" by many in her own community? For calling out black on black violence and how its not "whities" fault its happening? For calling out the glorification of the worst aspects of their community that is prevalent in rap music? For calling out the idolising of violent, convicted felons that people riot and burn down their own communities in the name of? For calling out the lack of a family unit and the absence of fathers? For the black genocide that's occured through abortion? For rightly calling out that the founder of planned parenthood, Margaret Sanger was a true racist that wanted to cull the black population? And lastly, for calling out BLM as hypocrites because they don't focus on these issues?

Yeah, that one. Terrible person isn't she? "

Woah conservative claptrap list of crap.

There's a difference between isolated, individual cases of racism and generalised racism society wide. The latter doesn't exist in the UK. Otherwise anti discrimination laws wouldn't exist.

That's shockingly naive for someone of moderate intellect."

Oh thanks. I couldn't possibly hope to be as intelligent or insightful as you

darlington

[Removed by poster at 04/10/20 09:52:05]

Woah conservative claptrap list of crap."

So these issues don't exist then? Oooook

I'll leave you to your ideological echo chamber

Yeah, that one. Terrible person isn't she? "

Where did I say she was a terrible person?

Read my post “Yeah Candace is a great woman” or did you miss that part when you were too busy searching up black conservative’s that you agree with to look as anti racist as possible?

I follow her on Twitter I’m well aware of her and her views some of which I agree with. Not the response you expected was it? Back to the drawing board for you.

darlington

Do you read what you write or is it accidental. I wasn’t holding any one in higher standards you’re trying to turn this into some else and all I was saying was I hope the likes of idi bob and Winnie get a mention and as for good old Churchill he did what he had to do I don’t remember him endorsing the necklacing of his own like Winnie fucking Mandela

You’re right Churchill didn’t endorse the necklacing of his own.

He just contributed to the deaths of three million people instead. "

true he had a hand init but perhaps that should be on another thread I never mentioned Churchill it was some one else I simply asked as it’s black history month perhaps the likes of mugabe amin and Mandela should be spoke about

Manchester (she/her)

That's shockingly naive for someone of moderate intellect.

Oh thanks. I couldn't possibly hope to be as intelligent or insightful as you "

I didn't say it...

Manchester (she/her)

So these issues don't exist then? Oooook

I'll leave you to your ideological echo chamber "

The Gish gallop as an argumentative technique is well known. Quick fire bullshit which takes too long to deconstruct and thus distract from the real issues at hand.

It's not worth discussing because it works to derail.

It's beneath my dignity, and I would have thought beneath yours

I didn't study history in school, but do find it fascinating, especially ancient history. I think it is important to be taught at school, but think there has to be a certain way of regarding history, as when looking back, there wasn't as many rights, or standards than there ever has been before us. We are far far from perfect, but there is no sense in playing the which group was oppressed more over time.

"

Woah conservative claptrap list of crap."

I genuinely like Candace, she says a lot of things I agree with. Some people would consider her blunt because she gets straight to the point like her video about George Floyd.

However, as a black person when you speak about racism, or discrimination there are certain people who will deliberately mention her (because she’s black) in the conversation which I find interesting, if it’s not Candace Owens it’s Morgan Freeman they pick or Martin Luther King, Larry Elder or David Kurten.

It always makes me wonder...

"I wasn’t holding any one in higher standards you’re trying to turn this into some else and all I was saying was I hope the likes of idi bob and Winnie get a mention and as for good old Churchill he did what he had to do I don’t remember him endorsing the necklacing of his own like Winnie fucking Mandela "

Wait.. why would it be worse for Churchill to have killed people of his own ethnicity, as opposed to the millions of deaths he's responsible for of other ethnicities?

Also: why do you know all about the bad things some black people did any yet you've taken no interest in learning the very dark histories of famous and venerated white people?

I usually think people saying racist things are ignorant instead of actually racist but you seem to have taken the time to read up and inform yourself.

Manchester (she/her)

Ideological chambers work both ways. People aren't right because they declare themselves so. It's a deeply complex and contentious topic and forests have been sacrificed over the various issues.

It's nuanced and it doesn't really suit anyone's political agendas because we have work to do. I'm still working on my white privilege and fragility. It's in my reading list.

Manchester (she/her)

"

I genuinely like Candace, she says a lot of things I agree with. Some people would consider her blunt because she gets straight to the point like her video about George Floyd.

However, as a black person when you speak about racism, or discrimination there are certain people who will deliberately mention her (because she’s black) in the conversation which I find interesting, if it’s not Candace Owens it’s Morgan Freeman they pick or Martin Luther King, Larry Elder or David Kurten.

It always makes me wonder... "

It reads like a pwn da libs Google search. I've been involved in anti racism campaigns for nearly 25 years (yes I'm 34). I'll discuss honest arguments with worthwhile things to say, not debate tactics.

darlington

"I wasn’t holding any one in higher standards you’re trying to turn this into some else and all I was saying was I hope the likes of idi bob and Winnie get a mention and as for good old Churchill he did what he had to do I don’t remember him endorsing the necklacing of his own like Winnie fucking Mandela

Wait.. why would it be worse for Churchill to have killed people of his own ethnicity, as opposed to the millions of deaths he's responsible for of other ethnicities?

Also: why do you know all about the bad things some black people did any yet you've taken no interest in learning the very dark histories of famous and venerated white people?

I usually think people saying racist things are ignorant instead of actually racist but you seem to have taken the time to read up and inform yourself."

what have I said that’s racist? And for you’re info I’m well aware of what Churchill got up to but you decided to level it up by bringing a nasty old white chap into it so perhaps it’s you that’s a racist

Manchester (she/her)

"

It always makes me wonder... "

It's also a different debate, obviously, as an ally. There's certain lines I won't cross. Not my place as a white person.

I'm pretty comfortable with how I debate but there's obviously some things I need to leave to those whose fight it is.

"what have I said that’s racist? And for you’re info I’m well aware of what Churchill got up to but you decided to level it up by bringing a nasty old white chap into it so perhaps it’s you that’s a racist "

If you're well aware of what Churchill got up to then why did you feign ignorance when it was brought up?

If the only contribution you have to a discussion about Black History Month is to bring up some black people that did bad things, don't you think that's a bit suspect? Could you make any positive contribution to the discussion or is that where your interest in the subject ends?

Manchester (she/her)

It's a reasonably common tactic to force arguments into particular ideologies.

Of course I have my own perspective of the issue. But critical thinking lesson. Look to the way the things have been discussed. Are they quick talking points that someone's googled, or are they deeper issues that indicate that someone's actually thought about this?

I have not used Google to inform my discussion today. I've been involved with anti racism campaigns since 1996, including being a state rep. It's come up repeatedly in my study of history and historical reception, and I was extremely privileged to have units in high school introducing me to historiographical understanding, which I extended as part of my prep for my mini masters.

My perspective is Australian, although I have dipped into some other things (predominantly American, because that's where there's the most literature) in my postgraduate sociological studies.

It's quite telling that people think that they can Google things and counteract the way history is done and a rich academic literature on how to interpret the reverberations of our past.

NE

Followed this thread all morning

Thanks for so much info . My Sunday history lesson right there

Happy Sunday peeps

Manchester (she/her)

"Followed this thread all morning

Thanks for so much info . My Sunday history lesson right there

Happy Sunday peeps "

Hope it helps

Have made a life's work of history. Will keep doing so.

darlington

"what have I said that’s racist? And for you’re info I’m well aware of what Churchill got up to but you decided to level it up by bringing a nasty old white chap into it so perhaps it’s you that’s a racist

If you're well aware of what Churchill got up to then why did you feign ignorance when it was brought up?

If the only contribution you have to a discussion about Black History Month is to bring up some black people that did bad things, don't you think that's a bit suspect? Could you make any positive contribution to the discussion or is that where your interest in the subject ends?"

why can’t I bring up bad things that black people did can I only bring up good things ? Look I know you’re silly agenda to turn this into some it’s not I’m not bothering to reply to you’re stupid comments again

Manchester (she/her)

"black people did bad things" doesn't change a damn thing about the discussion.

History isn't your emotional security blanket. People suck as a rule. How and why did they suck. Did they overcome it?

Jheeze I pop away come back, this thread escalated quick

White this black that blah blah blah

From a black persons point of view it BHM shouldn't be labelled.. But...

Alot of black people genuinely don't know alot about black history.. good or bad. It a reminder, that's all!!! have a look learn something, inventors, famous authors hero's.

Why does it need to become a racism debate. Too many keyboard warriors

Depending on your age knowledge taught at school will vary.

Also a time for people to prehaps pick up a book from time to time

Enough from me.

NE

"Jheeze I pop away come back, this thread escalated quick

Alot of black people genuinely don't know alot about black history.. good or bad. It a reminder, that's all!!! have a look learn something, inventors, famous authors hero's.

Enough from me.

"

Manchester (she/her)

"Jheeze I pop away come back, this thread escalated quick

Enough from me.

"

I think people see it as a referendum on their individual worth. It's not.

As a British born black man that grew up in Africa and returned to the UK as a young adult I have a slightly different perspective.

I had to spend time researching black history in the UK before somethings just simply shocked me.

It was my experience that the average white woman seems to be scared of black men, walk behind one and she'd instantly clutch her bag tighter and shuffle away (even though I'm usually in a suit and tie for work) .i'm a runner and I have to make sure I wear bright clothing and run in populated areas even within my neighbourhood. I've noticed people "happen" to bring their dogs out or put on their lights when I run in some areas.

I wouldn't call this racism per se, but I do think the perception of the black man has to change which I guess requires both sides of the argument to do some work.

Most organisations address the problem by active inclusion but that causes resentment in itself. I remember a couple of years ago I was the only person promoted to a senior manager position amoung 10 others and even I thought it was a bit Shady, I remember hearing "diversity hire", PR promotion a lot during the Christmas party.

The system's broken and needs a change

Those who have been knocking the education system about its apparent lack of variety in history topics need to take a look at the curriculum. It's is very varied and inclusive whilst also trying to cover the major historical events of the world. It's not perfect but it never can be unless you want children to learn history all day every day. Instead, people need to realise that teachers and schools are simply just tour guides to history. The child and the parents are expected to explore the museum by themselves after the tour ends. Any good teacher like myself embraces their students, picks up on their interests and leads them to new avenues. Are you complaining that you don't know about black history in school? Then go now, the internet awaits, visit a museum. Don't stop there though, visit the one next door too and see where that leads. Teachers can't do it all for you.

"Those who have been knocking the education system about its apparent lack of variety in history topics need to take a look at the curriculum. It's is very varied and inclusive whilst also trying to cover the major historical events of the world. It's not perfect but it never can be unless you want children to learn history all day every day. Instead, people need to realise that teachers and schools are simply just tour guides to history. The child and the parents are expected to explore the museum by themselves after the tour ends. Any good teacher like myself embraces their students, picks up on their interests and leads them to new avenues. Are you complaining that you don't know about black history in school? Then go now, the internet awaits, visit a museum. Don't stop there though, visit the one next door too and see where that leads. Teachers can't do it all for you. "

The problem with leaving it to the parents is the children inherit their parents prejudices. You can already see what's happing with the whole sexual orientation education

Manchester (she/her)

"Those who have been knocking the education system about its apparent lack of variety in history topics need to take a look at the curriculum. It's is very varied and inclusive whilst also trying to cover the major historical events of the world. It's not perfect but it never can be unless you want children to learn history all day every day. Instead, people need to realise that teachers and schools are simply just tour guides to history. The child and the parents are expected to explore the museum by themselves after the tour ends. Any good teacher like myself embraces their students, picks up on their interests and leads them to new avenues. Are you complaining that you don't know about black history in school? Then go now, the internet awaits, visit a museum. Don't stop there though, visit the one next door too and see where that leads. Teachers can't do it all for you. "

I think the events and discourses this year have exposed enormous holes in the system.

And museums are biased too...

I was fortunate to be given the tools to educate myself. Not all children are so lucky.

No we don't need to teach nothing but history, but obviously that's absurd and no one's arguing that. We need to re-evaluate and remove, reprioritise.

"Those who have been knocking the education system about its apparent lack of variety in history topics need to take a look at the curriculum. It's is very varied and inclusive whilst also trying to cover the major historical events of the world. It's not perfect but it never can be unless you want children to learn history all day every day. Instead, people need to realise that teachers and schools are simply just tour guides to history. The child and the parents are expected to explore the museum by themselves after the tour ends. Any good teacher like myself embraces their students, picks up on their interests and leads them to new avenues. Are you complaining that you don't know about black history in school? Then go now, the internet awaits, visit a museum. Don't stop there though, visit the one next door too and see where that leads. Teachers can't do it all for you.

I think the events and discourses this year have exposed enormous holes in the system.

I was fortunate to be given the tools to educate myself. Not all children are so lucky.

No we don't need to teach nothing but history, but obviously that's absurd and no one's arguing that. We need to re-evaluate and remove, reprioritise."

Absolutely.

"Those who have been knocking the education system about its apparent lack of variety in history topics need to take a look at the curriculum. It's is very varied and inclusive whilst also trying to cover the major historical events of the world. It's not perfect but it never can be unless you want children to learn history all day every day. Instead, people need to realise that teachers and schools are simply just tour guides to history. The child and the parents are expected to explore the museum by themselves after the tour ends. Any good teacher like myself embraces their students, picks up on their interests and leads them to new avenues. Are you complaining that you don't know about black history in school? Then go now, the internet awaits, visit a museum. Don't stop there though, visit the one next door too and see where that leads. Teachers can't do it all for you.

No we don't need to teach nothing but history, but obviously that's absurd and no one's arguing that. We need to re-evaluate and remove, reprioritise."

As always Swing you know your stuff. Thanks for your input on this. This why I'm on the forums, to learn from people like you. Keep up the good work

Manchester (she/her)

Appreciate it very much

Every day's a school day, and I learn just as much by teaching.

"Appreciate it very much

Every day's a school day, and I learn just as much by teaching."

I think we've all learned a lot

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"Appreciate it very much

I think we've all learned a lot "

I think we've all learned that western civilization still has a long way to go, when we see some on here seriously asserting that because outright blatent discrimination against people that happen to have differently coloured skin or slightly different facial features is illegal, then there is no longer any racism! The very fact that we need the existence of equality laws is proof of the racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, xenophobia, ageism and general fucking awfulness of a very significant proportion of the population.

Manchester (she/her)

And the fact that the laws exist doesn't mean they address the problems even if they are enforced. There's mountains of evidence to this effect.

"Appreciate it very much

I think we've all learned that western civilization still has a long way to go, when we see some on here seriously asserting that because outright blatent discrimination against people that happen to have differently coloured skin or slightly different facial features is illegal, then there is no longer any racism! The very fact that we need the existence of equality laws is proof of the racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, xenophobia, ageism and general fucking awfulness of a very significant proportion of the population."

We have a long long way to go. That's so true. In fact in recent times it feels like we've taken a step backwards. You'd think swingers would be more open minded as a marginalised demographic themselves....

"And the fact that the laws exist doesn't mean they address the problems even if they are enforced. There's mountains of evidence to this effect."

It's a bit like pointing at lifeboats and using them as proof that the ship can't sink...

"Appreciate it very much

I think we've all learned that western civilization still has a long way to go, when we see some on here seriously asserting that because outright blatent discrimination against people that happen to have differently coloured skin or slightly different facial features is illegal, then there is no longer any racism! The very fact that we need the existence of equality laws is proof of the racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, xenophobia, ageism and general fucking awfulness of a very significant proportion of the population."

Could not agree more.

I’m surprised any sane person can deny the existence of racism, homophobia or sexism.

What an absolutely ignorant and close minded view to hold!

Manchester (she/her)

"Appreciate it very much

I think we've all learned that western civilization still has a long way to go, when we see some on here seriously asserting that because outright blatent discrimination against people that happen to have differently coloured skin or slightly different facial features is illegal, then there is no longer any racism! The very fact that we need the existence of equality laws is proof of the racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, xenophobia, ageism and general fucking awfulness of a very significant proportion of the population.

We have a long long way to go. That's so true. In fact in recent times it feels like we've taken a step backwards. You'd think swingers would be more open minded as a marginalised demographic themselves...."

I think people see their own marginalisation and refuse to accept that others exist.

Living with marginalisation is hard. Ask me how I know etc. But we can be the bigger people and stand up for others. Ultimately it'll make the world better for everyone.

It’s so great to read people be positive about Black History Month and see it as a time to learn and expand our knowledge on history!

That’s what it’s intended for!

Manchester (she/her)

"It’s so great to read people be positive about Black History Month and see it as a time to learn and expand our knowledge on history!

That’s what it’s intended for! "

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"Appreciate it very much

We have a long long way to go. That's so true. In fact in recent times it feels like we've taken a step backwards. You'd think swingers would be more open minded as a marginalised demographic themselves...."

I've found some swingers to be wonderful open minded people, generous and thoughtful. I've found some to be close minded, fearful and hateful towards anybody that doesn't fit within their prejudiced view... Unfortunately the idea that members of persecuted minorities would be more generous of spirit towards other minorities is just generally not true. Maybe I'm just getting a bit jaded, but it does seem to me that enough of humanity refuse to learn anything from the past that we are just a blight on the universe.

Manchester (she/her)

I keep fighting, Polly.

I'm tired. But I keep fighting.

"Could not agree more.

I’m surprised any sane person can deny the existence of racism, homophobia or sexism.

What an absolutely ignorant and close minded view to hold! "

I mean, it's very easy to live a life where the only black people you see are on TV ("except Dave at work, but Dave is different"). That's why we need to value and champion diversity (and why the right see things like "multiculturalism" as a threat - harder to hate people you live and grow up with (not that hard still, unfortunately!)).

But it's easier to believe that it doesn't exist - because if it does, can you live with yourself not going out and demanding change? No, most people probably couldn't.

"Could not agree more.

I mean, it's very easy to live a life where the only black people you see are on TV ("except Dave at work, but Dave is different"). That's why we need to value and champion diversity (and why the right see things like "multiculturalism" as a threat - harder to hate people you live and grow up with (not that hard still, unfortunately!)).

But it's easier to believe that it doesn't exist - because if it does, can you live with yourself not going out and demanding change? No, most people probably couldn't."

Beautifully put

Why am I picturing an ostrich with it's head in the sand?

Manchester (she/her)

"Could not agree more.

But it's easier to believe that it doesn't exist - because if it does, can you live with yourself not going out and demanding change? No, most people probably couldn't."

I mean that's it in a nutshell. I've seen. I can't unsee. I can't look away. I must try to help.

"Could not agree more.

But it's easier to believe that it doesn't exist - because if it does, can you live with yourself not going out and demanding change? No, most people probably couldn't.

I mean that's it in a nutshell. I've seen. I can't unsee. I can't look away. I must try to help."

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” ? Edmund Burke

"Could not agree more.

You’re absolutely right.

Manchester (she/her)

I'm taking fire at European (plus majority white Commonwealth countries and the US) culture. Not any education department. The education department is a result of the messed up culture.

By *ot kevinMan  over a year ago

Suffolk / Essex border

"History is history what ever colour of skin you are. In Britain we teach mostly British history, if you go to any other country they also teach their own countries history "

The problem is, british history as it is currently taught, gives the impression that black people only really came to this country in the last 80 or 90 years. No mention of black romans or tudors. I wasn't even taught about historical figures like Mary Seacole who was honoured at horse guards of what she did in the crimean war. Black people in the history of this country have not been served well. So it should be promoted, let black children have black British heroes who aren't just good at sport, give them something to aim for as in the end it will benefit this country as well..

Manchester (she/her)

The problem is, british history as it is currently taught, gives the impression that black people only really came to this country in the last 80 or 90 years. No mention of black romans or tudors. I wasn't even taught about historical figures like Mary Seacole who was honoured at horse guards of what she did in the crimean war. Black people in the history of this country have not been served well. So it should be promoted, let black children have black British heroes who aren't just good at sport, give them something to aim for as in the end it will benefit this country as well.. "

Or the effects on those black people before they came to the UK, to the extent that that's known. Imperial, colonial, and post colonial history. Not just the rah rah glory nonsense. The bad stuff too. The legacies. The wounds and fractured relationships to overcome.

Suffolk / Essex border

"Lots of black people from European and American history have been whitewashed out of existence. As well as Indians and other ethnic groups. It may not be possible to teach it all but indications could be made to the positive impact they have made in so many fields of human endeavour.

Yes!"

Suffolk / Essex border

The problem is, british history as it is currently taught, gives the impression that black people only really came to this country in the last 80 or 90 years. No mention of black romans or tudors. I wasn't even taught about historical figures like Mary Seacole who was honoured at horse guards of what she did in the crimean war. Black people in the history of this country have not been served well. So it should be promoted, let black children have black British heroes who aren't just good at sport, give them something to aim for as in the end it will benefit this country as well..

Or the effects on those black people before they came to the UK, to the extent that that's known. Imperial, colonial, and post colonial history. Not just the rah rah glory nonsense. The bad stuff too. The legacies. The wounds and fractured relationships to

overcome."

Yes, i totally agree.

I grew up in the 70's and what i learned about black history i found out myself after years of feeling like i was only a guest in this country even though i was born here...

Manchester (she/her)

Your stories, your culture, your legacy, matters too.

I do find it a rude shock when my heritage and culture is erased (you're British really - umm no), but I'm an immigrant, I kind of chose that. Very different. I empathise to the extent I can.

Wow this escalated,

I agree black history & other cultures should be included in the history that gets taught in schools as we do live in a multicultural society.

Easier said than done.

Manchester (she/her)

"Wow this escalated,

I agree black history & other cultures should be included in the history that gets taught in schools as we do live in a multicultural society.

Easier said than done."

For sure. At least the interactions with black and other cultures (I know black isn't a culture but that it's slippery due to cultural erasure etc) as seen in that community. The lasting effects for good *and bad* that the country has left on people. Not just nationalism.

Manchester (she/her)

Interesting discussion today folks. Until next time (because no one would be holding the thread open to have the last word, that would be petty and immature )