FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Can you recommend an online/post STD test?

Can you recommend an online/post STD test?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

With the Covid lockdown I don't really want to travel to a clinic, can someone please recommend an online/post test that is reliable and well priced? I want to be tested before playing again.

SH24 isn't available in my area.

Thanks!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Lloyds Pharmacy Online Doctor offer a postal service. Looked into this one, looks free too.

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Phone your gum clinic they have links for your area

Edit to my earlier post, there is a cost....but it's a fast and comprehensive service.

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

SH24.org.uk

Might depend if they operate in your area but the service is brilliant, covers everything a clinic would and whenever I have used them I've got the results back faster than from the clinic.

They send a text message at each step of the process, confirming they've sent the kit, received it etc and of course results.

It's all free, including the postage - the only, very minor, drawback is they have a limited number of applications they accept each day so have found it's best to request the kit first thing in the morning.

Can't recommend them enough - their site is also very informative about the various STIs, and risks etc

Local GUM service should offer one. Bear in mind that the DIY tests aren't as reliable so you'll want to get back into the clinic as soon as you can really.

They are better than nothing, mind!

My other half uses Umbrella

(https://umbrellahealth.co.uk/our-services/self-sampling-kits)

D'oh, sorry OP, just spotted that SH24 isn't available to you.

Noting your location do you know anyone in Herts that you trust enough to have a kit sent to? Might be an option and way round it.

By *etite_delightWoman  over a year ago

BunnyLand

I use icash but not sure if it’s available in your area.

By *attooBBWWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Lloyds Pharmacy Online Doctor offer a postal service. Looked into this one, looks free too."

I just looked this up and seems great. There’s a small fee tho - £30 for standard, £60 to include HIV

"Local GUM service should offer one. Bear in mind that the DIY tests aren't as reliable so you'll want to get back into the clinic as soon as you can really.

They are better than nothing, mind!"

DIY tests via SH24 are exactly the same and just as reliable as the ones done at my local clinic and very easy to do - the clinic have told me that the lab SH24 uses is exactly the same one they do, so there really is no difference.

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. Lloyd's at £60 seem to be in the lead. I looked at fettle too (they're associated with SH24), but they're £70.

"My other half uses Umbrella

(https://umbrellahealth.co.uk/our-services/self-sampling-kits)"

Do you know what they charge? Thanks.

iCash is available in Suffolk, and it's free.

ICash is free and available to me! Thank you both for that recommendation!

By *etite_delightWoman  over a year ago

BunnyLand

"ICash is free and available to me! Thank you both for that recommendation!"

you are most welcome

"ICash is free and available to me! Thank you both for that recommendation!

you are most welcome "

hope you get sorted soon and in the cleaer

"DIY tests via SH24 are exactly the same and just as reliable as the ones done at my local clinic and very easy to do - the clinic have told me that the lab SH24 uses is exactly the same one they do, so there really is no difference."

The lab isn't the only factor. A good GUM clinic will interview you, do a visual check and order any extra tests they think are necessary. They are also trained to do the sample collection properly, meaning less false negatives.

If you know that then you can make good decisions - if you think they're the same then you'll land up taking risks without knowing it. The kit is better than nothing but don't think it's a replacement for a clinic visit, and try to go as often as you can.

"My other half uses Umbrella

(https://umbrellahealth.co.uk/our-services/self-sampling-kits)

Do you know what they charge? Thanks."

Umbrella is basically iCaSH for Birmingham. No need to pay for the tests.

"DIY tests via SH24 are exactly the same and just as reliable as the ones done at my local clinic and very easy to do - the clinic have told me that the lab SH24 uses is exactly the same one they do, so there really is no difference.

The lab isn't the only factor. A good GUM clinic will interview you, do a visual check and order any extra tests they think are necessary. They are also trained to do the sample collection properly, meaning less false negatives.

If you know that then you can make good decisions - if you think they're the same then you'll land up taking risks without knowing it. The kit is better than nothing but don't think it's a replacement for a clinic visit, and try to go as often as you can."

Absolutely there are other factors that are a benefit of attending a clinic which is why I try and attend a clinic at least once a year (plus it means I can get my Hep B levels checked which can't be done by post).

But for basic level standard STI checks (which is all the clinics focus on mostly anyway) the postal service works really well and minimises the need for clinic attendance.

The tests involved in those hardly need a great degree of skill either and even if you can't work out how to pee into a bottle, wiggle a swab round the back of your throat, stick one up your bum, and prick your finger, there are very clear instructions.

Either way it's a good and efficient service

"DIY tests via SH24 are exactly the same and just as reliable as the ones done at my local clinic and very easy to do - the clinic have told me that the lab SH24 uses is exactly the same one they do, so there really is no difference.

If you know that then you can make good decisions - if you think they're the same then you'll land up taking risks without knowing it. The kit is better than nothing but don't think it's a replacement for a clinic visit, and try to go as often as you can."

not in scotland, unless you present claiming active symptoms , even at a clinic you self swab ... no visual checks , no staff collected samples, minimal interview in the form of filling out the forms to bracket you into express test (no symptoms) / proper appointment (symptoms)

its also incredibly frustrating that the age group (16-24) most likely to have part time flexible working patterns and therefore with most flexibility to attend a clinic, are the only age group elegible for postal testing in scotland

Shl.uk free and home delivered tests for HIV and STDs.

"

not in scotland, unless you present claiming active symptoms , even at a clinic you self swab ... no visual checks , no staff collected samples, minimal interview in the form of filling out the forms to bracket you into express test (no symptoms) / proper appointment (symptoms) "

It's the same in Bedford and Peterborough. If you have no symptoms, you can't even get an appointment unless you have time to just sit in the clinic and wait.

"

not in scotland, unless you present claiming active symptoms , even at a clinic you self swab ... no visual checks , no staff collected samples, minimal interview in the form of filling out the forms to bracket you into express test (no symptoms) / proper appointment (symptoms)

It's the same in Bedford and Peterborough. If you have no symptoms, you can't even get an appointment unless you have time to just sit in the clinic and wait. "

you can book the appointment in scotland but its usually a 2 month waiting list ... express test is a somewhat ironic name for the service

By *attooBBWWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"not in scotland, unless you present claiming active symptoms , even at a clinic you self swab ... no visual checks , no staff collected samples, minimal interview in the form of filling out the forms to bracket you into express test (no symptoms) / proper appointment (symptoms) "

That’s not my experience in Scotland (lothian) it’s a no appointment, wait your turn self referral thing here in normal circumstances. I was given an initial basic questionnaire by a nurse (no symptoms/concerns) then had a Dr run through a more detailed one when I gave my swab. They are so lovely, helpful and respectful

Everywhere I've lived across England you get an interview of your sexual history, then a physical exam where they also take swabs. Then sometimes they refer you to a doctor if something about your history bothers them.

It's almost always walk-in, though - I bring a book and plan to be there a few hours.

"not in scotland, unless you present claiming active symptoms , even at a clinic you self swab ... no visual checks , no staff collected samples, minimal interview in the form of filling out the forms to bracket you into express test (no symptoms) / proper appointment (symptoms)

That’s not my experience in Scotland (lothian) it’s a no appointment, wait your turn self referral thing here in normal circumstances. I was given an initial basic questionnaire by a nurse (no symptoms/concerns) then had a Dr run through a more detailed one when I gave my swab. They are so lovely, helpful and respectful "

i assumed sandyford was run by nhs scotland but sounds like it must be split by nhs boards in scotland then too ... sandyford did away with the drop in years back because they couldn’t cope with demand, they have the main service in central glasgow and smaller clinics all over including all the way out to paisley/ ( and ayrshire potentially) but usually they offer much reduced services/ open hours and can often not even have a doctor in the premises (this is why i need to go to central to have contraception prescribed)

ive often thought from these kind of posts on here and reading other peoples experiences that its pot luck where you live and how much funding the service is given what your experience will be

» Add a new message to this topic