FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Any mechanics around

Any mechanics around

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ex-a-frolics OP   Couple  over a year ago

Brizzle

We’ve just moved & need to use the services of a new garage. Just wondered if anybody could give me a rough idea {P&L) what it might cost for a full set of brake discs & pads for a 2010 Citroen Picasso please?

Many thanks.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *moothdickMan  over a year ago

stoke

Look at euro car parts for the items, then get a garage to fit them, normally yr looking at a back street garage about £30 + an hour ... see if they would do it as a cash job ... good luck

By *ex-a-frolics OP   Couple  over a year ago

Brizzle

Thanks just had a quote for £300 from a garage, does that sound reasonable?

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

Support your local independent garage. Let them supply the parts. If they fit parts you supply and something goes wrong, there is no effective guarantee.

By *moothdickMan  over a year ago

stoke

"Thanks just had a quote for £300 from a garage, does that sound reasonable?"

That’s a tad steep.. I’d say £100 labour and then what the parts cost ... take a tad on euro car parts, really simple way of seeing how much the parts are ..

By *adyinred696969Couple  over a year ago

Brecon

Buy some basic tools, buy the parts, look on YouTube for " how to..." Videos, and DIY, Mart did it for mine, and now he's done it for his range rover, my son's fiat, and my daughter's Mazda. Pads cost around 30 quid a time for a set, was quoted 90 from one of the brake and tyre places to do mine, so I guess we have saved about 500 pounds so far. 300 does sound a bit expensive, even if you are doing front and rear.

By *nnejohnCouple  over a year ago

warrington

"Thanks just had a quote for £300 from a garage, does that sound reasonable?

That’s a tad steep.. I’d say £100 labour and then what the parts cost ... take a tad on euro car parts, really simple way of seeing how much the parts are .."

problem is euro quote some cheap options ( especially clutches ) that are not worth fitting and if customers buy their own most garages refuse to fit or definitely won't guarantee

By *rAitchMan  over a year ago

Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe

£300 sounds reasonable to me.

I needed 2 discs a couple of years ago and were £50 each, so for a full set there's £200, pads about £30 per set, so 2 sets needed - £60. My local garage charges £35 per hour and would need 2 hours minimum to do the job at half an hour per wheel - £70. Most garages add a small charge of about £10 for "consumables", which can cover things like topping up the brake fluid, etc.

My car has big discs, so yours may be a few pounds cheaper.

£200 + £60 + £70 + £10 = £340 + VAT

And, as others have already said, with the garage supplying the parts, they'll guarantee their work.

By *ulfilthmentMan  over a year ago

Just around the corner

"Look at euro car parts for the items, then get a garage to fit them, normally yr looking at a back street garage about £30 + an hour ... see if they would do it as a cash job ... good luck "

You’ll be lucky to find someone who’ll fit owner supplied parts because of the warranty risk.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

i, the mr, used to own a garage, so have some idea, altho it was 20 years ago.

300 seems alot, its an hours work tops, and the parts for that car i would expect to pay around 100, so yes sounds alot, avoid main stealers, find a local garage

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

"i, the mr, used to own a garage, so have some idea, altho it was 20 years ago.

300 seems alot, its an hours work tops, and the parts for that car i would expect to pay around 100, so yes sounds alot, avoid main stealers, find a local garage"

Great advice. ‘Main stealers’ I like that.

next doors just had new discs and pads fitted to a mondeo and it cost £300 but then cost him £375 for new alloy wheels as the garage couldnt get the bolts out and rounded them all, they ended up cutting his alloys off.....yeeha now wheres my Stetson ? and they weren't even a back street garage.

By *iercedlotsCouple  over a year ago

Stoke-on-Trent

"We’ve just moved & need to use the services of a new garage. Just wondered if anybody could give me a rough idea {P&L) what it might cost for a full set of brake discs & pads for a 2010 Citroen Picasso please?

Many thanks.

"

ebay 150 quid for the full set of discs and pads and 100 quid max to fit. Not that hard to do yourself but rear calipers sometimes need to be wound back so need special tools.

i miss read the op, my price was for fronts only, if its for dront and back then 300 isnt out of the ball park

By *oldswarriorMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

Has anyone taken in to consideration the OP may not be mechanicaly minded.

There are several other options to take into consideration.

Do they have the correct tools to carry out the task? Are they using the jack that came with car or using a recommended trolly cack and axle stands?

Do the have a flat hard standing to perform the task?

Do they know they need additional cleaning fluids to clean the preservation fluid from the disks before installation?

Are they aware they could disturb the ABS sensors which will bring a fault code up on the dash?

Can the wind the pistons back correctly without damaging the seals.

And biggest of all are they willing to accept responsibility for the failure of these items if they go wrong.

OP if you are under any doubt just shop around your local garages and get the best price.

By *alldarksurreyMan  over a year ago

surrey

Its also worth looking at your breakdown cover and insurance policy because some offer a discount at certain garages

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

Love to find a garage capable of doing discs & pads all round in an hour! We use a local independent who refuses point blank to fit any of the cheaper Euro supplied parts. Our rear discs recently cost us £96 each, but they are huge vented things. VW originals were about £230 each.

I'd say £300 all round is good & it'll be guaranteed. Them fitting your supplied cheapies won't usually.

S

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

Is there a local fb page where you could get some recommendations for a local garage, assuming you're on fb. That's what I do if I need something i haven't tried before.

» Add a new message to this topic