FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > School sports

School sports

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I just saw an article on Sky Sports about how lockdown has made more children appreciate exercise and it got me thinking about PE in school.

Back when I was in secondary school, which was about 15 years ago now, the sports we had to take part in were football, rugby, tennis and track & field. Apart from tennis, I hated pretty much all of them.

Maybe it's changed since I was in school, but I wonder if the reason why kids didn't like exercise before lockdown is because they were never given a choice. I wasn't, we always had to do those specific sports.

I think schools have this very black and white notion of what PE should entail. It's always the kind of team based sports with rules that have to be followed. But what about activities that can be done on your own?

I probably would have been into PE if it was something I actually enjoyed doing. If they had rollerblading, skateboarding or cycling, I would have enjoyed that. It's still exercise at the end of the day. And those three are sports that could be done within the school grounds.

I just wonder if more can be done in schools to actually get kids interested in sports by including unconventional activities. I know the quickest way to turn them away from exercise is by forcing them to do something they don't want to do. I had no interest in football or rugby, so forcing me to play it is just gonna turn me away from it even more.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I had a lot of choice in PE growing up. Swimming, rock climbing, gymnastics, ten pin bowling (really), all the usuals and more besides.

I hated PE and it took me a long time to get into sport. Because my teachers were professional psychopaths. If you weren't naturally good at it they'd laugh at you and make a mockery of you, no matter how hard you tried.

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgowish

We were made to play hockey and netball at school which i hated and rubbish at. I was really good at badminton and table tennis but these were not an option.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I hated PE and was forced onto the Schools Netball team because I towered over the girls in my year

I quite liked being in the hockey team, only skill needed was to be able to clobber your opponents ankles with the stick

"I hated PE and it took me a long time to get into sport. Because my teachers were professional psychopaths. If you weren't naturally good at it they'd laugh at you and make a mockery of you, no matter how hard you tried."

That was pretty much why I hated it too. It wasn't so much the teachers, but the other kids. One of the teachers was a sadistic prick though.

The only good memory I have of PE is doing a bleep test in year 11 and actually being the last one standing. Everyone was cheering me on and it made me feel really good about myself. I don't know how it happened, but it was like the more they cheered, the more I pushed myself and wanted to ''win'' so to speak. It was strange because every other year when we did a bleep test I was always one of the first to drop out.

I hated PE.

I have dyspraxia which effects stuff like hand eye coordination, fine and gross motor skills, general movement so regardless of the sport I wasn't good at any of them. It was so humiliating playing things like rounders and tennis where I couldn't hit a ball back.

"I hated PE.

I have dyspraxia which effects stuff like hand eye coordination, fine and gross motor skills, general movement so regardless of the sport I wasn't good at any of them. It was so humiliating playing things like rounders and tennis where I couldn't hit a ball back."

Sorry to hear that. That's shit. Surely you'd be exempt from playing them though?

I've pretty always found male PE teachers to be bullies or twats. They like the kids that were good at sports and the rest of us were second class citizens only good for humiliating or being mocked.

The OP is right - a wider range of activities would have been great and probably encouraged more kids to exercise instead of dreading PE / games.

By *luebellRacerCouple  over a year ago

Shropshire

"We were made to play hockey and netball at school which i hated and rubbish at. I was really good at badminton and table tennis but these were not an option. "

Are we the same person? Lol

Hated school PE, loved badminton club and table tennis that I was lucky enough my dad took me too once a week!

Was always active as a kid, cycling, roller blading, climbing etc... but hated PE as I was rubbish at netball, hockey and tennis!

In my junior school if any of the boys forgot their PE kit they were given a pair of blue girls pants to wear, it must have effected me in someway as I've spent the last 40yrs trying to get in them...

» Add a new message to this topic