FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > We are the product of god.

We are the product of god.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Who else agrees with this, that we and all living things are a product of a higher force that we cant understand? There was an interesting discussion about it in the other thread about god too.

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Did you not get the answers from the thread you did on God yesterday ?

"Who else agrees with this, that we and all living things are a product of a higher force that we cant understand? There was an interesting discussion about it in the other thread about god too."

You can only agree with it if you believe in god..and I don't

"Did you not get the answers from the thread you did on God yesterday ? "
Yes and no, but it would be good with more input on it as well.

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

Nope I'm the product of a sperm finding it's way to an egg plain and simple

Imaginary (in my opinion) higher beings had nothing whatsoever to do with my existence

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan  over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

"Who else agrees with this, that we and all living things are a product of a higher force that we cant understand? There was an interesting discussion about it in the other thread about god too.

You can only agree with it if you believe in god..and I don't "

^ What she said

I believe in god Jesus Christ and the devil I believe in the afterlife ghosts and demons

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

I have never seen any evidence that a "higher power" exists, so I don't have any belief in one. Until then I remain open to evidence. Luke

By *lbinoGorillaMan  over a year ago

Redditch

"I have never seen any evidence that a "higher power" exists, so I don't have any belief in one. Until then I remain open to evidence. Luke "

Exactly. So far iny life I've besn told to believe in Father Christmas, the Tooth Fairy and God, and two out of those three have already been proven to be a lie

I don't have anything to add.

I'm a product of my parents. I'm also an atheist.

Thought it was the aliens who was terraforming our planet that created life. But think it went wrong when humans developed so they didn't bother returning just wrote it off as a major fuck up..

By *ssex_tomMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

There have been many gods of the years and many religions...if there is one true God and one true religion then the rest are all invented. ...

If the rest are all invented then....

Presumably they are all invented...

Blessed are the cheesemakers.

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

I am the result of a loving union between my parents. Then their parents and so on going back to animals and finally a unique chemical reaction eons ago. I do however believe we can be spiritually guided by our hearts, minds and a higher being which cannot be easily explained.

By *xhib12Man  over a year ago

Blyth

Religion - probably the biggest con ever invented and the source of many things that are wrong in the world today.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I don't believe in an interventionist god

By *igbitsMan  over a year ago

Skipton

"Nope I'm the product of a sperm finding it's way to an egg plain and simple

Imaginary (in my opinion) higher beings had nothing whatsoever to do with my existence "

You cannot prove that.

Redditch

"Religion - probably the biggest con ever invented and the source of many things that are wrong in the world today."

Indeed. An organisation designed to stop the great unwashed thinking for themselves and control group behaviour.

Almost the Twitter of its time

I think the ‘higher force’ thing is way less likely than us coming from another planet.

I don't have much time for religion and in my honest opinion, people who I have met over the years, who claim to be believers (Christians I should add), are some of the most selfish materialistic people I have met.

Possibly a higher force, but I doubt it's the same god people associate with that bible fiction book

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I think we are the product of something we don't understand whether that is a sentient being that we call God or just a series of coincidences none of us know. Many claim to and are quite rude about people who hold a different belief but nobody actually knows for sure.

Religion isn't God though its man's interpretation of him /her. Because man uses God and religion to justify inhumane activities doesn’t make God bad.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Who else agrees with this, that we and all living things are a product of a higher force that we cant understand? There was an interesting discussion about it in the other thread about god too."

My personal opinion on religion is:

In the beginning people believed in gods of Sun, Moon, weather etc.. because it was obvious that these things influenced their food supply and if they froze to death in the winter.

Then came "organised religion" where rules were created and threats of "A Vengeful God" were used to control the masses whilst theme religious leaders lived in luxury tended by slaves.

Over time, the organisation behind the religions became less "regal" and tried to be more pious and the sell on religion became more about "after death" bonuses rather than being stuck down... the carrot replacing the stick to control the masses.

Over more time, people started to question more and some find that belief in an invisible man living in the sky a little too far fetched, while others feel that "knowing" that you continue to "be" after you have died a HUGE comfort and choose to believe because the thought of "total nothingness" when you die is scary.

So in current times, less than half of the uk population say they believe in any sort of god or spirit, but others still seek the calming notion that there is something after death.

Me personally... I believe it's all just too silly.

Cal

No. God doesn't exist.

By *imon_hydeMan  over a year ago

Moelfre

Well it's a different take on the other thread. I'm open to people having different beliefs to me and said as such but this question does assume a belief that I just don't have.

I would say that we, western civilization, are a product of religion and not god. That served a purpose once but no longer does, it is in fact a problem.

No, read some Dawkins and Hitchens but before you do read Charles Darwins On the Origin of Species. We are nothing but an advanced primate and when we die we rot like everything else. There is no God, Allah, Buddha or any of the other 1000's of Gods that man has created over the centuries.

I agree some have better understanding than others.

Some time lack of understanding can lead to complete denial and ignorance.

I also believe we are judged only by our good and bad intentions and deeds.

Any thoughts on this ???

By *rmrspumpCouple  over a year ago

narnia

Imaginary (in my opinion) higher beings had nothing whatsoever to do with my existence

You cannot prove that. "

He doesn't have to, if you claim that God exists then the burden of proof lies with you. Athiesm makes no claim, its simply the position that there is no evidence for god

narnia

[Removed by poster at 18/06/20 11:59:19]

narnia

I am a 6.9 on the Dawkins scale, technically agnostic but a defacto athiest. The origin of the universe post big bang is explained by science, however as the causation of the big bang cannot yet be explained there is at least a miniscule chance that it was 'caused' into existance, so I must concede that there may have been a creator.

But, to be clear, the abrahamic God of the Bible is a nonsense collection of iron age fairy tales. The idea that there is a being who takes interest in your day to day existance and who insists that you pray to him to win favour is laughable

By *hatYorkLadMan  over a year ago

York

I think we're just a fluke in evolution, I don't believe in gods and higher powers. There are many mysteries in the universe which I doubt we'll ever be able to fully understand but I don't think Gods are the answer.

In my humble opinion we are a product of evolution and not a god but I can be proven wrong anytime a expert wants to.

T

By *unandlaughter69Couple  over a year ago

Boston

Oh ffs this is not Facebook.

But I'd let god suck my cock

You cannot prove that. "

The first part I absolutely can - if it didn't happen that way I was an immaculate conception and therefore miracle and claim my reward

The second part I don't have to prove - it's my opinion, and besides as someone already said the burden of proof doesn't lie with me to prove something, I don't believe exists, exists

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgowish

Yes i am an angel but i have lost my halo

By *ictoriaathomeTV/TS  over a year ago

Huddersfield

Religion and gods are all about control, I don't like to be controlled (certain circumstances allowed??)

I disagree with the OP.

By *hy-Guy-86Man  over a year ago

Norwich

Not the godliest of places though is it lol

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

Ahh I love semantics

What is a higher force ?

A force is what we defines accelerates mass

Higher well g is around 9.8

Higher than what ?

I feel I could articulate how indeed much of the universe and its organic content have indeed evolved due to a great deal of forces of differing magnitudes

I see zero data to suggest a higher force is more beneficial to evolutionary processes than a variety of smaller forces

I may suggest if the force were too high it would just annihilate all matter

I also see zero data to suggest any forces also hold sentience

So to sum up

Yes I'm certain everything is the product of forces (plural)

I have zero idea what forces have to do with the human invention of God though

"Who else agrees with this, that we and all living things are a product of a higher force that we cant understand? There was an interesting discussion about it in the other thread about god too.

No, read some Dawkins and Hitchens but before you do read Charles Darwins On the Origin of Species. We are nothing but an advanced primate and when we die we rot like everything else. There is no God, Allah, Buddha or any of the other 1000's of Gods that man has created over the centuries.

"

Although as Dawkins once said, the only justifiable position he could take as a scientist is to be agnostic on God. No-one can prove or disprove this.

Everyone has beliefs and religion is the organisation of belief. Of course, a religious belief isn't necessarily about God. A person can be quite religious about their position on race, Christians, Islam and many other issues without worrying about evidence!

By *ensual mMan  over a year ago

conwy

Religion and beliefs are the number one factor in people hating and killing each other in this world. Therefore i dont have a religion or belief.

I know certain religions already hate me without ever meeting me. But do you know what love me or hate me ill treat you like a human until you upset me or my family then ill hate you no matter who you are

Redditch

Yes i am an angel but i have lost my halo "

I thought you were using it as an ankle bracelet?

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Sorry shag I'm with evolution on this one and believe worshipped god in history was actually aliens

Nope! I am the product of my mummy and daddy having a lovely 'grown ups cuddle' on his birthday!

By *acavityMan  over a year ago

Redditch

Does your 'god' have a name? Or is it just a vague higher force?

Because you imply monotheism, you probably mean Jahweh / Jehovah / Allah depending on which prophet you prefer.

Nah I don’t agree

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I don't see any evidence to suggest it. That being said, I wish you well in your beliefs.

We are the product of a higher power no doubt; stars... do you think God created the big bang OP? Genuine question. I'm intrigued about creation too... just from different books...

By *igbitsMan  over a year ago

Skipton

"No. God doesn't exist."
prove that!

"No. God doesn't exist.

prove that!"

There's not a single credible shred of evidence to prove a God exists beyond any reasonable doubt - that in itself is proof enough to me - and until I am presented with hard evidence to prove me wrong (which hasn't been done in thousands of years) then my view remains.

What I do believe exists is a level of faith that *some* people have in an omnipotent entity which they use for guidance, comfort and support and if it provides them that then I'm not about to knock or disrespect that faith, but personally I don't have that belief or see any proof of "God" being anything more than a human construct designed to both control and provide guidance.

narnia

[Removed by poster at 18/06/20 16:49:20]

narnia

It often amuses me to hear Christians mock scientologists, there is nothing in scientology that is any more batshit crazy than the stuff Christians believe..

Nah. I prefer to think that the atoms that make up my body are the same as the ones that make up the grass, the trees, the moon and the stars.

God isn’t half as interesting.

ashby de la zouch

"Nah. I prefer to think that the atoms that make up my body are the same as the ones that make up the grass, the trees, the moon and the stars.

God isn’t half as interesting. "

That would be my view

God as a concept is pretty bland compared to the cosmos as observed without the creation concept

Manchester (she/her)

"Nah. I prefer to think that the atoms that make up my body are the same as the ones that make up the grass, the trees, the moon and the stars.

God isn’t half as interesting. "

We are all made of star stuff

We are a product of evolution...that should be the end of the discussion imo..

Next you'll be telling us the earth is flat ffs

We are all made of star stuff "

Yep, which is why I'm asking the OP if God started the big bang off...

Why did God make vertebrate eyes with a blind spot but not those of cephalopods?

"Why did God make vertebrate eyes with a blind spot but not those of cephalopods?"

I look forward to the Ops reply.

Nothing can make me believe in an invisible Man in the sky but as for an afterlife I guess we will all find out eventually, maybe our consciousness goes on after we die?

By *reya73Woman  over a year ago

Whitley Bay

God is a construct, a map created by humans in order to make sense of divine life force and wisdom that we all experience .. we ARE the divine. Divinity is within us and connects us to all things.

narnia

"Nothing can make me believe in an invisible Man in the sky but as for an afterlife I guess we will all find out eventually, maybe our consciousness goes on after we die?"

No. Consciousness is the product if the electrical activity in our brain, in the same way that the picture on a TV screen is electrical activity, remove the electrical activity and the screen goes blank

By *hilloutMan  over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

I don't believe in God as depicted in the various monotheistic religions nor in the gods of polytheistic ones.

I do however believe that the universe is too remarkable a creation to be the consequence of a random occurrence. There are too many observations that have been made through mathematics that point to intelligent design. Call it god if you will or something else, but something it is.

We are all made of star stuff "

I hope that was a Babylon 5 reference

Manchester (she/her)

I hope that was a Babylon 5 reference "

narnia

"I don't believe in God as depicted in the various monotheistic religions nor in the gods of polytheistic ones.

I do however believe that the universe is too remarkable a creation to be the consequence of a random occurrence. There are too many observations that have been made through mathematics that point to intelligent design. Call it god if you will or something else, but something it is."

If you subscribe to the many universes theory, which has a lot of support, then the conditions that exist in our universe are not only possible randomly, they are in fact inevitable

ashby de la zouch

"I don't believe in God as depicted in the various monotheistic religions nor in the gods of polytheistic ones.

I do however believe that the universe is too remarkable a creation to be the consequence of a random occurrence. There are too many observations that have been made through mathematics that point to intelligent design. Call it god if you will or something else, but something it is."

Ultimate 747

If you cannot grasp that anything complex can evolve fro. The simple via evolutionary pathways

How on earth can you conclude the ultimate 747 a being of such complexity can occur without itself being comprehensively designed

The argument is always a circular regression that is senseless

At best humanity was designed by a complex enterty which had evolved ie an alien but once we factor that we accept complexity can occur without design the creator just vanishes as needless

x

I try to use logic, reason and critical thinking before I believe most anything i hear and having done so i find no evidence to suggest god exists. Although being open minded i can't rule it out either no matter how unlikely i think it is.

Manchester (she/her)

"I try to use logic, reason and critical thinking before I believe most anything i hear and having done so i find no evidence to suggest god exists. Although being open minded i can't rule it out either no matter how unlikely i think it is. "

Yes. The more extraordinary the claim the more extraordinary the evidence required. I won't say never but... Probably not.

As far as I can see it's all just an accident, give or take.

By *mokes n MirrorsCouple  over a year ago

Plymouth and Newcastle (sometimes)

"I am a 6.9 on the Dawkins scale, technically agnostic but a defacto athiest. The origin of the universe post big bang is explained by science, however as the causation of the big bang cannot yet be explained there is at least a miniscule chance that it was 'caused' into existance, so I must concede that there may have been a creator.

But, to be clear, the abrahamic God of the Bible is a nonsense collection of iron age fairy tales. The idea that there is a being who takes interest in your day to day existance and who insists that you pray to him to win favour is laughable "

So eloquently written and bang on the money.

By *ob Carpe DiemMan  over a year ago

Torquay

I'm prepared to entertain it but that's not the same as convinced

narnia

I do however believe that the universe is too remarkable a creation to be the consequence of a random occurrence. There are too many observations that have been made through mathematics that point to intelligent design. Call it god if you will or something else, but something it is.

Ultimate 747

If you cannot grasp that anything complex can evolve fro. The simple via evolutionary pathways

How on earth can you conclude the ultimate 747 a being of such complexity can occur without itself being comprehensively designed

The argument is always a circular regression that is senseless

At best humanity was designed by a complex enterty which had evolved ie an alien but once we factor that we accept complexity can occur without design the creator just vanishes as needless

x"

But God exists outside of time and space, and always existed..

Thats the issue with debating religion with the faithful, when you can invoke magical superpowers and generally make shit up to support your position it makes rational reasoned debate pretty pointless

[Removed by poster at 18/06/20 18:21:26]

By *orkspoonMan  over a year ago

nearby

"I don't believe in an interventionist god "

Dam it, what song is that from? It's on the tip of my tongue

[Removed by poster at 18/06/20 18:24:15]

narnia

"I don't believe in an interventionist god

Dam it, what song is that from? It's on the tip of my tongue"

But I know darlin that you do..

ashby de la zouch

"I try to use logic, reason and critical thinking before I believe most anything i hear and having done so i find no evidence to suggest god exists. Although being open minded i can't rule it out either no matter how unlikely i think it is.

Yes. The more extraordinary the claim the more extraordinary the evidence required. I won't say never but... Probably not.

As far as I can see it's all just an accident, give or take."

I dont think evolutionary processes which I consider also occur with non organic systems too to be accidental

I feel evolutionary process of matter is an attribute of stuff existing it to my mind is punctuated with statistical randomness not dictated by

"I try to use logic, reason and critical thinking before I believe most anything i hear and having done so i find no evidence to suggest god exists. Although being open minded i can't rule it out either no matter how unlikely i think it is.

As far as I can see it's all just an accident, give or take."

By *orkspoonMan  over a year ago

nearby

"I don't believe in an interventionist god

Dam it, what song is that from? It's on the tip of my tongue

But I know darlin that you do.. "

Nick cave, thank you!!

You cannot prove that.

He doesn't have to, if you claim that God exists then the burden of proof lies with you. Athiesm makes no claim, its simply the position that there is no evidence for god"

Well said.

Torquay

The only thing that leads me to consider it is if we were the only intelligent beings in the entire universe, by no means impossible but impossible to prove so for me we can never know

By *hrisUB3Man  over a year ago

Heathrow

Religion is a mental illness...seek help!

By *ictoriaathomeTV/TS  over a year ago

Huddersfield

"No. God doesn't exist.

prove that!

There's not a single credible shred of evidence to prove a God exists beyond any reasonable doubt - that in itself is proof enough to me - and until I am presented with hard evidence to prove me wrong (which hasn't been done in thousands of years) then my view remains.

What I do believe exists is a level of faith that *some* people have in an omnipotent entity which they use for guidance, comfort and support and if it provides them that then I'm not about to knock or disrespect that faith, but personally I don't have that belief or see any proof of "God" being anything more than a human construct designed to both control and provide guidance."

Perfectly put!!

narnia

"The only thing that leads me to consider it is if we were the only intelligent beings in the entire universe, by no means impossible but impossible to prove so for me we can never know"

Saw statistical research yesterday that suggests there could be 30 odd advanced civilisations in our galaxy alone

By *penbicoupleCouple  over a year ago

Northampton

I believe that belief in a higher being is a delusion. And often a psychotic one at that.

I hope that was a Babylon 5 reference

"

We NEED to be friends!

"We are the product of a higher power no doubt; stars... do you think God created the big bang OP? Genuine question. I'm intrigued about creation too... just from different books..."
Yes there are a number of theories out there about the big bang theory, you do know that most scientist dont believe that is how it happened? They have just come to the conclusion to accept that simplified version of how universe was created, it is to complex to understand.

By *ark ph0enixWoman  over a year ago

Teesside

Not a believer in God. Or gods. I wear a crucifix for sentiment not religion.

But despite my disbelief in organised religion, the world is full of too many amazing incredible things beings and coincidences for me not to wonder about a possible guiding force. I don't expect to ever know the answer but I do ponder it in the dark wee hours when my brain won't sleep.

We are a product of genes and experiences. God can be part of that.

Good*

its a no from me

ashby de la zouch

"Not a believer in God. Or gods. I wear a crucifix for sentiment not religion.

But despite my disbelief in organised religion, the world is full of too many amazing incredible things beings and coincidences for me not to wonder about a possible guiding force. I don't expect to ever know the answer but I do ponder it in the dark wee hours when my brain won't sleep. "

My take on that

At 11 I could grasp how light reflection from a curved water drop could make a rainbow

Without any need for conscious design

I could not get my head around how tuberculosis could be meticulously designed

I can understand the beauty of statistics and numbers

I cannot see one drop of beauty in the words

"Designed parasite "

I'm comfortable with the fact radiation mutates organic cells fuelling both death and evolution on a natural selection basis

I cannot see the beauty in its needless design

Imaginary (in my opinion) higher beings had nothing whatsoever to do with my existence "

Have to disagree with you. The nurture part of our lives is influenced by our cultures and socialisation processes. Even if you have chosen not to believe, in this country God is part of our socialisation/education system.

Have to disagree with you. The nurture part of our lives is influenced by our cultures and socialisation processes. Even if you have chosen not to believe, in this country God is part of our socialisation/education system. "

Which God?

"I don't believe in an interventionist god "

So succinctly put - I've waffled paragraphs in the past, to state what you've put here

ashby de la zouch

Have to disagree with you. The nurture part of our lives is influenced by our cultures and socialisation processes. Even if you have chosen not to believe, in this country God is part of our socialisation/education system. "

I think you mean

"Many contradictory God concepts are part of our society and education "

Only God concepts are shown to exist

Non of the concepts have any validation

You could have said the exact same about Harry Potter and scooby doo

"I don't have much time for religion and in my honest opinion, people who I have met over the years, who claim to be believers (Christians I should add), are some of the most selfish materialistic people I have met."

You can have a belief in something without following the tenets.

By *oft_SensualTV/TS  over a year ago

Yorkshire

I think if you rewind everything to the 'big bang' that was probably the by product of a universe that collapsed on itself, but then produced enough energy to launch itself again. If we invented the concept of God then did God exist in that moment?

We all have our own views and beliefs and i respect everyone who believes in some form of god or higher power. I myself do not. What is important is that we respect each persons choice of belief and not try to force our view on others. If we where all able to do that then i think the world would be just that little bit better. But thats just my thinking and tbh not many people pay me much attention anyway lol

My personal opinion on religion is:

In the beginning people believed in gods of Sun, Moon, weather etc.. because it was obvious that these things influenced their food supply and if they froze to death in the winter.

Then came "organised religion" where rules were created and threats of "A Vengeful God" were used to control the masses whilst theme religious leaders lived in luxury tended by slaves.

Over time, the organisation behind the religions became less "regal" and tried to be more pious and the sell on religion became more about "after death" bonuses rather than being stuck down... the carrot replacing the stick to control the masses.

Over more time, people started to question more and some find that belief in an invisible man living in the sky a little too far fetched, while others feel that "knowing" that you continue to "be" after you have died a HUGE comfort and choose to believe because the thought of "total nothingness" when you die is scary.

So in current times, less than half of the uk population say they believe in any sort of god or spirit, but others still seek the calming notion that there is something after death.

Me personally... I believe it's all just too silly.

Cal"

Personally I think nothingness after death is preferable to hell on earth (our own traumas).

By *ervent_fervourMan  over a year ago

Halifax

Depends what you conceptualise gods/God as.

And from which religion are yoou coming at it from, and if so, what about the other religions' God /gods?

"I am a 6.9 on the Dawkins scale, technically agnostic but a defacto athiest. The origin of the universe post big bang is explained by science, however as the causation of the big bang cannot yet be explained there is at least a miniscule chance that it was 'caused' into existance, so I must concede that there may have been a creator.

But, to be clear, the abrahamic God of the Bible is a nonsense collection of iron age fairy tales. The idea that there is a being who takes interest in your day to day existance and who insists that you pray to him to win favour is laughable "

When we can become interested in individual ants and listen to them, then I'll have the arrogance to think a God will listen to me.

So I believe in the power of prayer? No. However I believe in the power of positivity, especially collective positivity. If everything boils down to energy, thought does too. After all, our brains use glucose to produce synaptic communications (neurons talking to each other) to enable the brain to work.

"Oh ffs this is not Facebook.

But I'd let god suck my cock "

"He" would need the hubble telescope to find it

"Religion is a mental illness...seek help!"

Bless

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

"Did you not get the answers from the thread you did on God yesterday ? "

Yes that is right.

I believe that belief in a higher being is a delusion. And often a psychotic one at that. "

Oh to be close minded.

Not

Torquay

"The only thing that leads me to consider it is if we were the only intelligent beings in the entire universe, by no means impossible but impossible to prove so for me we can never know

Saw statistical research yesterday that suggests there could be 30 odd advanced civilisations in our galaxy alone"

Drake's equation? Keeping themselves to themselves then

By *uffnmuffCouple  over a year ago

London

"Religion is a mental illness...seek help!"

Have to disagree with you. The nurture part of our lives is influenced by our cultures and socialisation processes. Even if you have chosen not to believe, in this country God is part of our socialisation/education system.

Which God? "

Jehovah. Christianity.

In primary school we had assembly daily. In secondary school assembly was once a week. Prayers and Christian songs.

In Secondary school we were taught about major religions.

Don't forget our parents, their parents and so on would have been more indoctrinated into the religion of the land than, for example I did with my children. The point is that there is religious influence.

I think you mean

"Many contradictory God concepts are part of our society and education "

Only God concepts are shown to exist

Non of the concepts have any validation

You could have said the exact same about Harry Potter and scooby doo"

Yes, God concept.

"We all have our own views and beliefs and i respect everyone who believes in some form of god or higher power. I myself do not. What is important is that we respect each persons choice of belief and not try to force our view on others. If we where all able to do that then i think the world would be just that little bit better. But thats just my thinking and tbh not many people pay me much attention anyway lol"

Thank god, you don't aspire to the belief that belief is somewhat psychotic

Torquay

I think I said on the other thread Buddha was real, I don't know if he believed in a god, I'll go with whatever Buddha said no reason not to

By *alking HeadMan  over a year ago

Bolton

You cannot prove that. "

Can you prove that an invisible chocolate mouse that radiates gamma waves from its arse but lives so far away, we cant detect it, doesnt control our very existence? No. Can you see how silly your stance is?

By *isterMaskMan  over a year ago

Derby

You know that this lockdown has gone on too long when people start asking existential questions about life on a swinging site.

narnia

"You know that this lockdown has gone on too long when people start asking existential questions about life on a swinging site."

Love existentialism! I'm a big fan of solipsism myself..

Manchester (she/her)

"You know that this lockdown has gone on too long when people start asking existential questions about life on a swinging site."

I'm always game for the big questions

Bolton

"Why did God make vertebrate eyes with a blind spot but not those of cephalopods?"

Why did he create parasites that eat their way out of innocent childrens eyeballs leaving them blind? If he exists he can go fuck himself. Hes responsible for far more evil and cruelty than anything mankind or satan has done (oh. .he created those too!).

Just listen to a priest, vicar, bishop or pope try to argue that point. They spout such utter shit, then every few years, redefine, change the goalposts and change the rules. Utter fucking charlatans. Worse than Mystic Meg and Derek Acorahs lovechild.

For some people, yes a god or gods created everything. For others, no.

Whatever everyone believes is correct to them so there’s not really a right or wrong answer is there.

Bolton

It only points to intelligent design if you cant take on board the true meaning of chaos and infinity.

By *isterMaskMan  over a year ago

Derby

Well sure I like these kinds of discussions too. I just don't really expect to run into that kind of topic on a site like this though.

By *iercedlotsCouple  over a year ago

Stoke-on-Trent

"I'm a product of my parents. I'm also an atheist. "

Atheist or not, you are truly blessed !

mmmmm

narnia

It only points to intelligent design if you cant take on board the true meaning of chaos and infinity."

Each infinite possibility will happen, and each possibility will happen infinitely..

Bolton

It only points to intelligent design if you cant take on board the true meaning of chaos and infinity.

Each infinite possibility will happen, and each possibility will happen infinitely.. "

Eloquently put. I actually have a copy of Macbeth signed by the author...Bubbles the chimp.

Manchester (she/her)

It only points to intelligent design if you cant take on board the true meaning of chaos and infinity."

I see no need to insert the anthropic principle into assumptions about the world.

If He does, I pity him if I'm in his image,!

Bolton

I see no need to insert the anthropic principle into assumptions about the world."

I think its people being uncomfortable, if not plain scared, that their brief existence is all they are going to get. Its one of the things i believe religion plays on, even having the gall to tell you the greater your suffering on earth, the greater the liklihood of going to heaven. I take the opposite view, the way things look, this is all we get, so enjoy it and dont hurt anyone in the process.

narnia

I see no need to insert the anthropic principle into assumptions about the world.

I think its people being uncomfortable, if not plain scared, that their brief existence is all they are going to get. Its one of the things i believe religion plays on, even having the gall to tell you the greater your suffering on earth, the greater the liklihood of going to heaven. I take the opposite view, the way things look, this is all we get, so enjoy it and dont hurt anyone in the process."

I think it's our inability to contemplate nothingness. From even before we leave the womb we experience existing, there is no frame of reference for not existing, which is why a euphemism for death is 'going to sleep' or 'laid to rest'. We simply can't get our heads around not existing anymore

ashby de la zouch

"For some people, yes a god or gods created everything. For others, no.

Whatever everyone believes is correct to them so there’s not really a right or wrong answer is there. "

My friends daughter wants to know

Did dinosaurs exist

Is there a right answer and should I teach her they did not

She also asked about the bible

I have decided to show her the paragraph where it states a menstruating woman is unclean

No right or wrong ? Right ??

Iv decided I dont want her to eat pork I'm going to teach her why she absolutely must not

No right or wrong of course

Absolutely there is right and wrong

I suggest we should be careful what we teach our children and as a society keep an eye on some of the not so harmless stuff that is taught

Be it the bad parts religious doctrine sexism racism or homo trans phobia

But we can read these doctrines and some of the teachings are not a positive for a forward thinking humans development

Evolution is my belief, life finds a way. I believe in no higher power or the world wouldn't be so f----d

Whatever everyone believes is correct to them so there’s not really a right or wrong answer is there.

Did dinosaurs exist

I have decided to show her the paragraph where it states a menstruating woman is unclean

Iv decided I dont want her to eat pork I'm going to teach her why she absolutely must not

I suggest we should be careful what we teach our children and as a society keep an eye on some of the not so harmless stuff that is taught

But we can read these doctrines and some of the teachings are not a positive for a forward thinking humans development

"

The question was nothing to do with dietary requirements or dinosaurs. It was did god create everything.

Some people believe he did. Not everyone who believes in god believes that dinosaurs didn’t exist.

I chose to be open minded and tolerant. If people believe in a god, who am I to tell them they’re wrong.

There are so many gods now, it's hard to know which one is offering the best afterlife.... although I like the idea of 21 Virgins at the end of things.

Obviously that got God doesn't come from round here as they are far and few...

By *rincess peachWoman  over a year ago

shits creek

I believe in the soul and spirit and that their is something out there, but as for me being a product of God.

Nah, I'm the result of a practical joke gone wrong or some shit like that

narnia

Did dinosaurs exist

The question was nothing to do with dietary requirements or dinosaurs. It was did god create everything.

Some people believe he did. Not everyone who believes in god believes that dinosaurs didn’t exist.

I chose to be open minded and tolerant. If people believe in a god, who am I to tell them they’re wrong.

"

I have no problems with anyone's beliefs, people a free to fliow any nonsense they wish. The problem emerges when people of faith expect me to conform to the rules of thier particular flavour of delusion

ashby de la zouch

Did dinosaurs exist

"

I have never told anyone is wrong and should not believe

I simply disagree that a personal belief is or should be immune from scrutiny

I only

A declair nothing has convinced me

And b

If a believer highlights something the feel is convincing I feel it reasonable for me to articulate why it does not convince me

And sadly perpetuateing some beliefs without calm challenge can perpetuate or condone some very anti humanity ideas blended into the fluffy God belief

God's were created to keep people in place. Scare tactics to make sure everyone behaved... we now have a more informed society and the old Bill to take care of things. No one is going to burn in hell but a 20 stretch in Wandsworth is a possibility....

What is God?

Did dinosaurs exist

I only

And b

If a believer highlights something the feel is convincing I feel it reasonable for me to articulate why it does not convince me

And sadly perpetuateing some beliefs without calm challenge can perpetuate or condone some very anti humanity ideas blended into the fluffy God belief "

So you would agree, that to some peoples beliefs, god created everything?

Manchester (she/her)

I think its people being uncomfortable, if not plain scared, that their brief existence is all they are going to get. Its one of the things i believe religion plays on, even having the gall to tell you the greater your suffering on earth, the greater the liklihood of going to heaven. I take the opposite view, the way things look, this is all we get, so enjoy it and dont hurt anyone in the process.

I think it's our inability to contemplate nothingness. From even before we leave the womb we experience existing, there is no frame of reference for not existing, which is why a euphemism for death is 'going to sleep' or 'laid to rest'. We simply can't get our heads around not existing anymore"

All of this.

I'm fairly comfortable with not knowing, not getting it. The world is infinitely more complicated than I can wrap my tiny brain around and begin to rationalise. That's ok.

ashby de la zouch

Did dinosaurs exist

I only

And b

And sadly perpetuateing some beliefs without calm challenge can perpetuate or condone some very anti humanity ideas blended into the fluffy God belief

So you would agree, that to some peoples beliefs, god created everything? "

No

I would assert that God has a definition

At it's most basic

If a God existed it would be

A sentient sadistic orchestrator originator of everything without beginning and non evolved

I'm fully aware all religions have a fleshed out version of this basic definition and erm

Yeah some people believe it

In my 20's I enjoyed a transcendent mycological experience, cant say it was "god" but I traveled to other realms that night

By *ncemoreroundthesunCouple  over a year ago

A town and place not in the UK

"Blessed are the cheesemakers."

Oh and meek, I'm glad they're getting something because they have a hell of a time.

Did dinosaurs exist

I only

And b

No

At it's most basic

A sentient sadistic orchestrator originator of everything without beginning and non evolved

I'm fully aware all religions have a fleshed out version of this basic definition and erm

"

So you missed the point of my post entirely. I said that to some people who are of faith, he created everything. Those who do not believe in a god, he did not.

If you choose to believe others are entirely wrong, that’s fine. I choose to accept that their faith is their truth.

ashby de la zouch

I also just dont understand

Comphihend the rhetoric

"Believe in what they want to"

I detest the position of belief if I have it .I rarely do

I certainly do not want to believe

I what to know , understand or my mind does not want to believe it wants to quest search, test, experiment and reason with logic until I do know or understand

A wishy washy position of belief just does not sit

For example

There is a theory called big bang

I dont believe it

I understand the facts

I understand expantion and red shift

I know stuff is further away today than yesterday

I know we dont know if a true singularity occured

Thus I wait and understand

Belief achieves zero other than erm stopping the quest

Big bang plausable

Yoyo inflation plausible

Do I have a belief no

God

No human invented God concepts I have encountered seem plausible

I could be convinced with convincing data of course

And it's a fact at least all but one God concept was absolutely invented by the human mind that's a logical fact

ashby de la zouch

Did dinosaurs exist

I only

And b

No

At it's most basic

So you missed the point of my post entirely. I said that to some people who are of faith, he created everything. Those who do not believe in a god, he did not.

If you choose to believe others are entirely wrong, that’s fine. I choose to accept that their faith is their truth. "

I'm an engineer

Personal truth does not help much in reality

If a God exists I want to know

If one didn't I'd hope others would want to know

Matters not how much I believe fuel is entering the burner jet

It either is or it ain't

Most people who want heat usually want me to work with the truth rather than telling them regardless of evidence

Yes madam you have fuel your heat will come on for your shower

Did dinosaurs exist

I only

And b

No

At it's most basic

If you choose to believe others are entirely wrong, that’s fine. I choose to accept that their faith is their truth.

I'm an engineer

It either is or it ain't

Most people who want heat usually want me to work with the truth rather than telling them regardless of evidence

Yes madam you have fuel your heat will come on for your shower "

I’m not really sure what my shower has to do with other people’s faith.

Like I’ve said. It’s not up to anyone else to tell others they’re wrong for having faith

ashby de la zouch

Did dinosaurs exist

I only

And b

No

At it's most basic

If you choose to believe others are entirely wrong, that’s fine. I choose to accept that their faith is their truth. "

Some people stick to some lifestyle only because they are being judged

They restrict

Food, sex , contraception, abortion, blood transfusions

Not for their benefit or happiness

But to please a God

I want to know

Should I be sticking to certain rules or not

A stance of belief here is frightening and futile

ashby de la zouch

Did dinosaurs exist

I only

And b

No

At it's most basic

I'm an engineer

It either is or it ain't

Yes madam you have fuel your heat will come on for your shower

I’m not really sure what my shower has to do with other people’s faith.

Like I’ve said. It’s not up to anyone else to tell others they’re wrong for having faith "

Nor mine

Nor do I

Thanks

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Did you not get the answers from the thread you did on God yesterday ? Yes and no, but it would be good with more input on it as well."

How is it helping , you will base your own philosophical beliefs on the beliefs of a bunch of random people on a sex site ? Ask something interesting like if God exists what is the purpose of suffering

"In my 20's I enjoyed a transcendent mycological experience, cant say it was "god" but I traveled to other realms that night "

Was there mush room in that realm?

Nope, you're all my creation, sinners!

Manchester (she/her)

I suppose I'm a product of cultural/social forces I don't understand. It's impossible to be objective about it, to separate yourself from your creation. But I'm talking about human society not the supernatural.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Did dinosaurs exist

I only

And b

No

At it's most basic

Some people stick to some lifestyle only because they are being judged

They restrict

Food, sex , contraception, abortion, blood transfusions

Not for their benefit or happiness

But to please a God

I want to know

Should I be sticking to certain rules or not

A stance of belief here is frightening and futile "

That’s because some religions - catabolism, Islam etc base your relationship with God on your adherence to rules and rituals

Others base your relationship with God, simply on your relationship with God , and you find you may do the rules out of service to pleas

Let me give you a simple example. I dint enjoy cleaning the kitchen, but it pleases my partner and I love her, so I do it.

Manchester (she/her)

There's of course the tendency for these discussions to assume religion means Christianity. I'm guilty of it too, it's what I'm most familiar with by a long shot.

By *penbicoupleCouple  over a year ago

Northampton

"I believe that belief in a higher being is a delusion. And often a psychotic one at that.

Oh to be close minded.

Not "

I'm intrigued how you know I'm close-minded based on one post on this one topic?

You don't know how I came to that view, or why I hold it. Yet, you're willing to dismiss my belief (which is all I said it is) as me being closed-minded.

Chelmsford

Religion is all Mumbo Jumbo..

By *isaB45Woman  over a year ago

Fabville

"Religion is all Mumbo Jumbo.. "

Whatever your opinion is regarding religion, it's important to many others.

I wholeheartedly disagree!

Jesus saves

Chelmsford

"Religion is all Mumbo Jumbo..

Whatever your opinion is regarding religion, it's important to many others."

Yes it is..

But all mumbo jumbo

"In my 20's I enjoyed a transcendent mycological experience, cant say it was "god" but I traveled to other realms that night

Was there mush room in that realm? "

Not that I recall but It sure made me a fun gi

"I believe that belief in a higher being is a delusion. And often a psychotic one at that.

Oh to be close minded.

Not

I'm intrigued how you know I'm close-minded based on one post on this one topic?

You don't know how I came to that view, or why I hold it. Yet, you're willing to dismiss my belief (which is all I said it is) as me being closed-minded."

I haven't stated (or implied) you're closed minded about anything other than your disbelief in a higher power. You're also judging others that hold this belief as a psychotic delusion. Only those agnostics are open-minded about this subject.

Manchester (she/her)

It's really not cool to drag psychosis into this. Psychosis is an illness.

Torquay

"Jesus saves "

Me too, where to invest it though

"Jesus saves

Me too, where to invest it though"

Haha not the response I was expecting but just as funny

How’s it going geezer?

In an athiest. No belief at all.

ashby de la zouch

"Jesus saves

Me too, where to invest it though"

Ah you need a safe heaven

"Jesus saves "

Harry Kane gets the rebound.....

(Is that the one you were expecting ?)

"Jesus saves

Harry Kane gets the rebound.....

(Is that the one you were expecting ?) "

Yep that’s better

Torquay

"Jesus saves

Haha not the response I was expecting but just as funny

How’s it going geezer?"

Enjoying Ascot thanks, one of my vices

Manchester (she/her)

"Jesus saves

Ah you need a safe heaven "

Bury your talents?

"It's really not cool to drag psychosis into this. Psychosis is an illness."

Nor any type of mental health, as someone else did.

Manchester (she/her)

"It's really not cool to drag psychosis into this. Psychosis is an illness.

Nor any type of mental health, as someone else did. "

By *ollydoesWoman  over a year ago

Shangri-La

I went to convent school. Ohbthe irony if sitting in Re ehume sister whoever preached about no sex for pleasure, no contraception apart from withdrawal, and that god made man..we are born from god ..he sent Adam and eve who we all descend from. Then after lunch sit in science and learn about evolution!

Yes it is..

But all mumbo jumbo"

Whilst I do not believe personally - dismissing religion as "mumbo jumbo" is not something I aspire to either - for many it provides strength and guidance, and that is not to be dismissed so readily, just because I don't believe doesn't mean I don't respect others right to do so.

I see a lot of religious writings as being similar to things like Aesops fables and similar morality tales and in that respect and taken at that level they have a lot of value and certainly aren't "mumbo jumbo".

There are of course aspects of organised religion that I don't like or respect and some parts of it that I find downright evil - but that is down to the human interpretation of it and it's use to control and excuse abhorrent actions that has been happening for centuries - but taken at sheer face value the teachings of religion have a lot of to be said for them. The trouble is humans take them and interpret them to their own ends.

Chelmsford

Yes it is..

But all mumbo jumbo

Whilst I do not believe personally - dismissing religion as "mumbo jumbo" is not something I aspire to either - for many it provides strength and guidance, and that is not to be dismissed so readily, just because I don't believe doesn't mean I don't respect others right to do so.

I see a lot of religious writings as being similar to things like Aesops fables and similar morality tales and in that respect and taken at that level they have a lot of value and certainly aren't "mumbo jumbo".

There are of course aspects of organised religion that I don't like or respect and some parts of it that I find downright evil - but that is down to the human interpretation of it and it's use to control and excuse abhorrent actions that has been happening for centuries - but taken at sheer face value the teachings of religion have a lot of to be said for them. The trouble is humans take them and interpret them to their own ends."

MJ enuff said bro

Interesting points everyone and yes it is interesting how life is created by god and how we become the product of it

"Interesting points everyone and yes it is interesting how life is created by god and how we become the product of it "

Or alternatively how it wasn't and we aren't, depending on what we believe