FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Raptors. Birds of Prey, the feathered kind

Raptors. Birds of Prey, the feathered kind

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Inspired from a similar named thread earlier today. RAPTORS, they are an absolute passion of mine. What's your favourite and what amazing stories do you have regarding these magnificent birds ?.

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

Had to do this thread as im obsessed with Birds of prey. The comm buzzard "Buteo" is my absolute favourite since I was 10.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The show at Warwick Castle last year was fantastic, everything from Condors to Sparrowhawks.

My personal favourite is Barn Owls, but Little Owls are cuties!

By *rank speakerMan  over a year ago

Worcester

Birds of prey always look magnificent. I used to travel the motorway frequently and the sight of them either hovering or at rest was always uplifting.??????

There’s a few barn owls and kestrels that fly around here. Amazing to watch

"The show at Warwick Castle last year was fantastic, everything from Condors to Sparrowhawks.

My personal favourite is Barn Owls, but Little Owls are cuties!"

That show sounds amazing especially as they had Condors, I dont think ive seen them before. One of my dreams is to see a Barn owl in the wild. Xx

"Birds of prey always look magnificent. I used to travel the motorway frequently and the sight of them either hovering or at rest was always uplifting.??????"

Kestrel seem to frequently visit motorways, I see alot of Buzzards too that always look to be hovering

"There’s a few barn owls and kestrels that fly around here. Amazing to watch"

Gorgeous birds. Ive never seen merlins or hobbys though, they are on my list x

By *im himCouple (MM)  over a year ago

bedworth

Kept them and trained them years ago . Had kestrel sparrow hawk and then a Lanner falcon . Also worked as a volunteer at a bird sanctuary were they kept eagles, eagle owls , many different hawks & falcons . Best days of my life . Absolutely loved it

"There’s a few barn owls and kestrels that fly around here. Amazing to watch

Gorgeous birds. Ive never seen merlins or hobbys though, they are on my list x"

Just had to google an image of a hobby. Amazing looking bird

By *r and Mrs BlackCouple  over a year ago

Chesterfield

I have a little owl in my garden on a nightly basis... Lives in a box in a tree about 800 yards away in a straight line and my garden full of trees and shrubs is clearly a favourite hunting ground

????

"Kept them and trained them years ago . Had kestrel sparrow hawk and then a Lanner falcon . Also worked as a volunteer at a bird sanctuary were they kept eagles, eagle owls , many different hawks & falcons . Best days of my life . Absolutely loved it "

Omg im so jealous, id volunteer if we had a centre local. Lanner falcons are stunning. They all are. On holidays I always visit any bird sanctuary xx

"There’s a few barn owls and kestrels that fly around here. Amazing to watch

Gorgeous birds. Ive never seen merlins or hobbys though, they are on my list x

Just had to google an image of a hobby. Amazing looking bird"

Kestrels hobbys and metlins are our smallest uk birds. Hobbys migrate in though . They are all so cute but deadly preditors too xx

By *reat me rightWoman  over a year ago

Rotherham

Buzzards. We have a family living on our land. Sometimes theres 5. She is forever coming really low over the house (that close you can see all her beautiful markings) - but always when I dont have my camera to hand.

We did a training day a couple of years ago on remembrance Sunday- while we were stood in a circle in the field observing the silence she brought all her family down low. Beautiful

And I'm bird phobic at that!

"I have a little owl in my garden on a nightly basis... Lives in a box in a tree about 800 yards away in a straight line and my garden full of trees and shrubs is clearly a favourite hunting ground

????"

Oh wow id love to see a photo of that. I saw my first long eared owl last week in the woods. It was incredible. Xx

"Buzzards. We have a family living on our land. Sometimes theres 5. She is forever coming really low over the house (that close you can see all her beautiful markings) - but always when I dont have my camera to hand.

We did a training day a couple of years ago on remembrance Sunday- while we were stood in a circle in the field observing the silence she brought all her family down low. Beautiful

And I'm bird phobic at that!"

I absolutely love Buzzards, miniature eagles I call them lol. Id love to see a honey buzzard. Think they have them down south of England x

Used to do public displays to the holiday makers then moved on to full time falconer doing bird control on air fields.

Flown all manner of exotics & all the UK BoP at some point. Bred Peregrines, imprinted them, Spars too.

Nothing better than training, flying, catching prey with a bird you've bred.

"Used to do public displays to the holiday makers then moved on to full time falconer doing bird control on air fields.

Flown all manner of exotics & all the UK BoP at some point. Bred Peregrines, imprinted them, Spars too.

Nothing better than training, flying, catching prey with a bird you've bred. "

You have so much experience i envy you so much. Perrergines ate my hubbys favourite birds in the world. Did you see them in a stoop? Fastest in the world. Do you still train birds of prey ?

By *mberWoman  over a year ago

Preston

I often have a tawny owl in the tree outside my house and kestrels are nesting nearby which is beautiful.

I think I'd struggle to choose a favourite but a barn owl hunting in the twilight is one of my favourite things to see and I do love osprey too. I've had the fortune to see some amazing birds in the wild. White tailed sea eagles are also pretty amazing

"I often have a tawny owl in the tree outside my house and kestrels are nesting nearby which is beautiful.

I think I'd struggle to choose a favourite but a barn owl hunting in the twilight is one of my favourite things to see and I do love osprey too. I've had the fortune to see some amazing birds in the wild. White tailed sea eagles are also pretty amazing"

Ive seen the famous ospreys towards north Wales. Monty and his family are amazing.

I was meant to go to Scotland in May for my 50th to see golden eagles and sea eagles. Been a dream 40 years. Sadly lockdown prevented it. To see these incredible eagles in the wild would be a dream xx

"Used to do public displays to the holiday makers then moved on to full time falconer doing bird control on air fields.

You have so much experience i envy you so much. Perrergines ate my hubbys favourite birds in the world. Did you see them in a stoop? Fastest in the world. Do you still train birds of prey ?"

Sadly not, but still work my dogs for friends that do.

Female Spars have to be my favourite, absolute nutters. Xena was an imprint I used to fly & she'd take out Magpies, Jackdaws & pigeons that were 3x her bodyweight.

Phsychos if the bird world Accipiters are.

By *agic tongue mike.Man  over a year ago

Canterbury

"Inspired from a similar named thread earlier today. RAPTORS, they are an absolute passion of mine. What's your favourite and what amazing stories do you have regarding these magnificent birds ?."

Give me the sparrow hawk, ambushing at its best.

By *agic tongue mike.Man  over a year ago

Canterbury

You have so much experience i envy you so much. Perrergines ate my hubbys favourite birds in the world. Did you see them in a stoop? Fastest in the world. Do you still train birds of prey ?"

You want to see them in West London chasing the ring tailed parakeets. I spent a month on top of Chiswick music museum doing the air con, they didn't get many, and had some damn good chases though.

You have so much experience i envy you so much. Perrergines ate my hubbys favourite birds in the world. Did you see them in a stoop? Fastest in the world. Do you still train birds of prey ?

Sadly not, but still work my dogs for friends that do.

Female Spars have to be my favourite, absolute nutters. Xena was an imprint I used to fly & she'd take out Magpies, Jackdaws & pigeons that were 3x her bodyweight.

Phsychos if the bird world Accipiters are. "

Do u mean sparrow hawks?

"Inspired from a similar named thread earlier today. RAPTORS, they are an absolute passion of mine. What's your favourite and what amazing stories do you have regarding these magnificent birds ?.

Give me the sparrow hawk, ambushing at its best. "

Footage of them flying through forrests are incredible. They fly through tiny gaps in trees with such speed x

You want to see them in West London chasing the ring tailed parakeets. I spent a month on top of Chiswick music museum doing the air con, they didn't get many, and had some damn good chases though. "

Bet that was amazing to watch though. I love all birds but Raptors are my favourite xx

Steppe eagles feeding of a camels carcass was an amazing sight.. And it's always nice to see the ospreys in Rutland

Without a shadow of a doubt, my absolute favourite bird, nevermind bird of prey has to be the peregrine falcon. Fastest animal on record.

I've witnessed them hunting many times and watching the male pass prey to the female in midair is an astonishing thing to see.

"Steppe eagles feeding of a camels carcass was an amazing sight.. And it's always nice to see the ospreys in Rutland "

Ive not seen the ospreys at rutland. They are incredible hunters too.

Stepp eagle are magnificent, seing them wild mudt be incredible. X

Had anyone ever been to Jemima parry Jones International bird of prey centre in Gloucester. Its got to be the best selection of Raptors ever. Its cleans and fun for the family, loads of breeding programmes there too. Shes incredibly famous and does displays too xx

"Without a shadow of a doubt, my absolute favourite bird, nevermind bird of prey has to be the peregrine falcon. Fastest animal on record.

I've witnessed them hunting many times and watching the male pass prey to the female in midair is an astonishing thing to see."

I rem_mber our first dates going to see the peregtin in Aberdare. We would walk miles to get to that nest. You introduced me to them and its been amazing ever since x

I always see buzzards and kestrals flying about while I'm out walking, not so much the last few weeks for obvious reasons but akway up breacon red kite country, pink you have a stunning hobbie birds I mean

we have a local pair of red kites that swoop down over the house. Years ago was lucky enough to visit an uncles when his son was registered as a sanctuary for captured or injured birds of prey seen snowy owls loads of kestrels and even a golden Eagle once that was terrifying as a kid when it flapped its wings was definitely awesome...but favourite had to be the snowy owl..

"I always see buzzards and kestrals flying about while I'm out walking, not so much the last few weeks for obvious reasons but akway up breacon red kite country, pink you have a stunning hobbie birds I mean "

Ive visited Gigrin farm in mid Wales a few times. Theres also have a few Red Kites down my area. Thankyou, ive love them since age 10. Ive got a stunning birds of prey tattoo " Talons" dedicated to all birds of prey

By *ustfun1000Man  over a year ago

hanwell

Hi , I’ve had an interest in birds from a single digit age and now find myself working for a family that breeds, trains birds of prey for falconry, it’s a big operation but have managed to talk to the people involved to get an insight absolutely love the times when this happens.

We’re luck where we are , barn owls seem to be doing well in this area , absolute gorgeous creatures

By *lint-EverhardMan  over a year ago

Perpignan and cap

There was a young osprey hanging around on a fish farm that I was working on once. It got inside the heron netting somehow and was flying up and down getting spooked and spooking the fish. I was the only person man enough to tackle this bird so marched out full of bravado.

I walked slowly towards a corner of the netting, pushing the bird towards two sides. With a crash bang and a squalk the bird was on the ground in front of me but wouldn't turn it's back on me. It had THE most impressive Arsenal of razor sharp tallens and a beak big enough and I'm sure powerful enough to go through my arm. I was fucking shitting myself at the thought of picking this bird up but fortunately before I could throw my jacket over it, it escaped through a hole and away unharmed.

Two to three feet away is as close as anyone wants to get from a scared trapped wild osprey I'll tell you that now.!

"Hi , I’ve had an interest in birds from a single digit age and now find myself working for a family that breeds, trains birds of prey for falconry, it’s a big operation but have managed to talk to the people involved to get an insight absolutely love the times when this happens."

Id love to spend time with them every single day. You are so lucky. Theres nothing near here. Id volunteer everyday if i could. X

"We’re luck where we are , barn owls seem to be doing well in this area , absolute gorgeous creatures "

Ive never seen one in the wild. I spent a week on an owl sanctuary in Cornwall a few years ago. It was incredible. Got to hold some of them too x

"There was a young osprey hanging around on a fish farm that I was working on once. It got inside the heron netting somehow and was flying up and down getting spooked and spooking the fish. I was the only person man enough to tackle this bird so marched out full of bravado.

I walked slowly towards a corner of the netting, pushing the bird towards two sides. With a crash bang and a squalk the bird was on the ground in front of me but wouldn't turn it's back on me. It had THE most impressive Arsenal of razor sharp tallens and a beak big enough and I'm sure powerful enough to go through my arm. I was fucking shitting myself at the thought of picking this bird up but fortunately before I could throw my jacket over it, it escaped through a hole and away unharmed.

Two to three feet away is as close as anyone wants to get from a scared trapped wild osprey I'll tell you that now.!"

Wow i cant imagine ever getting that close. They sre so stunning. Their talons are incredibly long and strong. Their hunting skills are outstanding. Yes their talons could have ripped you to shreads lol my heart was going just reading that lol

By *ElectricityMan  over a year ago

Preston

Sometimes if I'm very lucky I see a hen harrier when I'm out on the bike over the fells of bowland....stunning!

"Sometimes if I'm very lucky I see a hen harrier when I'm out on the bike over the fells of bowland....stunning! "

Omfg a Hen Hsrrior WOW, Now im n incredibly jealous. Ive seen a female Marsh Harrier at Newport RSPB, that was incredible xx

By *ustfun1000Man  over a year ago

hanwell

Yes making me jealous too that sounds amazing .

I ve a passion for all things and places wild...in fact I ve spent more time with nature than I ever have with people. I ve seen a peregrine on St Michaels Mount wear down a wood pigeon. Just chased it and chased it..we watched the pigeon getting desperate, its altitude dipping at every circuit. It tried to get sanctuary and breath in the tree canopy but the peregrine gave it a minute or so before putting it to flight again..playing with it..like a game. After a good few minutes the wood pigeon alighted in its final low branch..alas the lowness of the branch gave no protection at all and the peregrine ate that day. I think I ve seen every bird of prey in the Uk and often have to understand them as I do now. I manage a woodland sensitively, work but not work..love it too much. After 15 years of no residents in the owl boxes we finally have a tawny..so been keeping an eye on fledgling. Many summer days listening and watching buzzard ride the thermals...glorious

When I was 10 I saw a golden eagle in my village. A man in a very beautiful house use to have it in his garden. I found out he had a big job in the RSPB. He was rehabilitating it. It was huge. Id sneak a look from the river daily. Thats my earliest memory of how I fell in love with Raptors x

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

We have lots of wild birds of prey all over the forest, a dusk owl watch is good fun and the buzzards and goshawks air fighting with the mob crows is epic during the day

Perpignan and cap

The starlings were roosting in a field of reeds one autumnal evening about 50feet from my fishing spot. The noise became so loud I decided to investigate. There was so many birds in the field that it moved as one massive brown wave. Mr (or Mrs) sparrowhawk was cruising the edges of the field occasionally spooking the flock and waiting for one to pop his head up. Sure enough one made a mistake and Mr Sparrowhawk went from cruising speed to a 100% flat out killing attack charge right, and I mean right on the trail feathers of the poor starling. I never saw the kill, or even if there was one but that scene will remain with me forever.

"I ve a passion for all things and places wild...in fact I ve spent more time with nature than I ever have with people. I ve seen a peregrine on St Michaels Mount wear down a wood pigeon. Just chased it and chased it..we watched the pigeon getting desperate, its altitude dipping at every circuit. It tried to get sanctuary and breath in the tree canopy but the peregrine gave it a minute or so before putting it to flight again..playing with it..like a game. After a good few minutes the wood pigeon alighted in its final low branch..alas the lowness of the branch gave no protection at all and the peregrine ate that day. I think I ve seen every bird of prey in the Uk and often have to understand them as I do now. I manage a woodland sensitively, work but not work..love it too much. After 15 years of no residents in the owl boxes we finally have a tawny..so been keeping an eye on fledgling. Many summer days listening and watching buzzard ride the thermals...glorious "

Wow that must have be an incredible sight to see.

Im a huge nature freak too, I visit all the reserves. I belong to the RSPD, nature trust, woodland trust, bat trust , Wwt. I love walking outside and surrounding myself with nature.

I love watching buzzards ride the thermals too as they go higher snd higher x

"We have lots of wild birds of prey all over the forest, a dusk owl watch is good fun and the buzzards and goshawks air fighting with the mob crows is epic during the day"

I think ive seen one Goshawk, an incredible size and top hunter. Xx

Perpignan and cap

"We’re luck where we are , barn owls seem to be doing well in this area , absolute gorgeous creatures

Ive never seen one in the wild."

Again I've been lucky enough to cycle alongside a wild barn owl that was working a hedge along a country lane. It was really early one morning (yes I was going fishing) and the bird was about 10 feet away from me for about 50 metres. Great sight.

"The starlings were roosting in a field of reeds one autumnal evening about 50feet from my fishing spot. The noise became so loud I decided to investigate. There was so many birds in the field that it moved as one massive brown wave. Mr (or Mrs) sparrowhawk was cruising the edges of the field occasionally spooking the flock and waiting for one to pop his head up. Sure enough one made a mistake and Mr Sparrowhawk went from cruising speed to a 100% flat out killing attack charge right, and I mean right on the trail feathers of the poor starling. I never saw the kill, or even if there was one but that scene will remain with me forever. "

I love all wildlife but theres a thrill seeing a Raptor hunt. Its brutal and the poor animals thst are caught but its survival and they have chicks to feed. I e seen and heard a sparrow hawk attack. The blsck bird didnt stand a chance

I laugh when a Raptor flies over and corvids mob it. The raptor is just minding its own business lol

"We’re luck where we are , barn owls seem to be doing well in this area , absolute gorgeous creatures

Ive never seen one in the wild.

Again I've been lucky enough to cycle alongside a wild barn owl that was working a hedge along a country lane. It was really early one morning (yes I was going fishing) and the bird was about 10 feet away from me for about 50 metres. Great sight."

I need to get up early, id love too see one in the wild x

I eent to Puzzle wood and found a bird of prey pellot near a plucking post. I wrapped it up and took it home. The different bines found inside it was incredible. I put it all on a card and preserved it. Ive a photo of it if anyone wants to see it. Think there was a couple of different mammals in it. Anyone find one you got to disect it and have a look. X

Perpignan and cap

Again I've been lucky enough to cycle alongside a wild barn owl that was working a hedge along a country lane. It was really early one morning (yes I was going fishing) and the bird was about 10 feet away from me for about 50 metres. Great sight.

I need to get up early, id love too see one in the wild x"

Literally like a ghost. No sound just this big white bird flying along, your eyes see it but your ears don't hear it so your brain says no, and your body starts to shiver, you get goose bumps too.

I need to get up early, id love too see one in the wild x

Literally like a ghost. No sound just this big white bird flying along, your eyes see it but your ears don't hear it so your brain says no, and your body starts to shiver, you get goose bumps too. "

Im so jealous , its like they are in stealth mode. No even the ptey hears them. Ive held many at sanctuaries, they are so light to hold, bloody beautiful though. I love hearing tawney owls at night. Pairs calling each other, especially Autumn and spring. They are marking territory. X

Perpignan and cap

I now live on the edge of the piranean mountains and there's alsorts flying about. Looking down on vultures is quite cool. Buzzards, I find boring (they never do anything) and my favourite is still the little owls. They're not shy and quite funny looking chaps.

Sparrowhawks are incredible birds of prey. The females, as in most bird of prey species are much bigger than males. This makes them less agile but more able to take larger prey, such as pigeons and corvids whilst the male can take smaller but more tricky pretty such as tits, sparrows, etc.

The female is a VERY brave, strong and fearless bird. However, her judgement can be a little...skewed. it's not unheard of for the female to hunt and kill (probably young females making a mistake) their own mate!

When ever a male makes a kill, plucks it and then calls the female to the plucking post, he's always wise enough to be well clear by the time she gets there. Yeah, suppose you could say it's an abusive relationship

But, even a female sparrowhawk isn't always safe from her larger but rarer cousin, the Goshawk

I love to lay awake at night and listen to the owls.

Lucky enough to live somewhere where there are alot of birds of prey.

I've seen many barn owls, buzzards are a daily occurrence, kites are not so regular. Watched a sparrow hawk take chicks from a blackbirds nest last week, just at the end of my garden.

I have a local bird of prey centre and often see him flying on the downs.

"I now live on the edge of the piranean mountains and there's alsorts flying about. Looking down on vultures is quite cool. Buzzards, I find boring (they never do anything) and my favourite is still the little owls. They're not shy and quite funny looking chaps. "

Wow you must see some incredible sights, I saw vultures once wild down the Falklands, sadly I lost my photos of what they were xx

By *ering SeaMan  over a year ago

Penicuik

Work colleague has a Harris Hawk which he visits workplaces to deter seagulls. The gulls all swooping on the hawk with the hawk giving 0 fucks

"Without a shadow of a doubt, my absolute favourite bird, nevermind bird of prey has to be the peregrine falcon. Fastest animal on record.

I've witnessed them hunting many times and watching the male pass prey to the female in midair is an astonishing thing to see.

I rem_mber our first dates going to see the peregtin in Aberdare. We would walk miles to get to that nest. You introduced me to them and its been amazing ever since x "

"Sparrowhawks are incredible birds of prey. The females, as in most bird of prey species are much bigger than males. This makes them less agile but more able to take larger prey, such as pigeons and corvids whilst the male can take smaller but more tricky pretty such as tits, sparrows, etc.

The female is a VERY brave, strong and fearless bird. However, her judgement can be a little...skewed. it's not unheard of for the female to hunt and kill (probably young females making a mistake) their own mate!

When ever a male makes a kill, plucks it and then calls the female to the plucking post, he's always wise enough to be well clear by the time she gets there. Yeah, suppose you could say it's an abusive relationship

But, even a female sparrowhawk isn't always safe from her larger but rarer cousin, the Goshawk"

I had no idea about female sparrow hawks doing that. Glad im not a male then lol

Your knowledge is incredible my darling. Youve taught me so much over the years x

"Sparrowhawks are incredible birds of prey. The females, as in most bird of prey species are much bigger than males. This makes them less agile but more able to take larger prey, such as pigeons and corvids whilst the male can take smaller but more tricky pretty such as tits, sparrows, etc.

But, even a female sparrowhawk isn't always safe from her larger but rarer cousin, the Goshawk

I had no idea about female sparrow hawks doing that. Glad im not a male then lol

Your knowledge is incredible my darling. Youve taught me so much over the years x "

You've picked up a lot over the years on your own merit! You've taught me a few things too or at least helped me look at things a little differently xx

"Work colleague has a Harris Hawk which he visits workplaces to deter seagulls. The gulls all swooping on the hawk with the hawk giving 0 fucks "

I work at a hospital its swamped in gulls and occasionally a man brings his Harris hawk in, its brilliant seeing the bird in action. The gulls and pigeons all come back later lol

Your knowledge is incredible my darling. Youve taught me so much over the years x

You've picked up a lot over the years on your own merit! You've taught me a few things too or at least helped me look at things a little differently xx"

The best parts of my day ate going out with you wildlife spotting. We've seen amazing sights over the years haven't we. We both still get so excited my darling

By *ering SeaMan  over a year ago

Penicuik

"Work colleague has a Harris Hawk which he visits workplaces to deter seagulls. The gulls all swooping on the hawk with the hawk giving 0 fucks

I work at a hospital its swamped in gulls and occasionally a man brings his Harris hawk in, its brilliant seeing the bird in action. The gulls and pigeons all come back later lol"

The Hawk just sits on a wall and takes a dive bombing. I’m like eh hawk get stuck into them ya lazy fook

By *arkhorse9Man  over a year ago

Devon

Quite a few years ago when still in the Airforce, I came across a barn owl at work that must have flown into the fence line, as I found it seemingly expired on the ground.

Picking it up I couldn’t believe how light it was for the size of the bird, I’ll always rem_mber how soft the feathers where.

Just as I was going to put it down I saw the owl blink; up to that point it was as though rigor mortis had set in.

Gingerly carrying it back to the office, expecting any minute to have a finger or two savaged off, I found a cardboard box and placed the new “shift mascot” in it.

I eventually managed to track down a bird rescue centre who came and collected it. About a month later it was brought back and I got to release it and watch him fly off. Awesome sight.

"Work colleague has a Harris Hawk which he visits workplaces to deter seagulls. The gulls all swooping on the hawk with the hawk giving 0 fucks

I work at a hospital its swamped in gulls and occasionally a man brings his Harris hawk in, its brilliant seeing the bird in action. The gulls and pigeons all come back later lol

The Hawk just sits on a wall and takes a dive bombing. I’m like eh hawk get stuck into them ya lazy fook "

Yes its funny to watch as the Harris hawk doesn't really do much lol. Everyone expects a great show pmsl

"Quite a few years ago when still in the Airforce, I came across a barn owl at work that must have flown into the fence line, as I found it seemingly expired on the ground.

Picking it up I couldn’t believe how light it was for the size of the bird, I’ll always rem_mber how soft the feathers where.

Just as I was going to put it down I saw the owl blink; up to that point it was as though rigor mortis had set in.

Gingerly carrying it back to the office, expecting any minute to have a finger or two savaged off, I found a cardboard box and placed the new “shift mascot” in it.

I eventually managed to track down a bird rescue centre who came and collected it. About a month later it was brought back and I got to release it and watch him fly off. Awesome sight.

"

Omg that's incredible I had a happy eyes watering moment then. We have s bird rescue centre in Caerphilly, they do an incredible job. Its a charity and they show all their stories on FB xx

By *ob Carpe DiemMan  over a year ago

Torquay

Heard a real commotion at the front of my property once, when I looked it was two magpies squawking at a big bird of prey which had a female blackbird in it's talons, it ignored the magpies and flew off.

Checked later and almost certainly a buzzard

"Heard a real commotion at the front of my property once, when I looked it was two magpies squawking at a big bird of prey which had a female blackbird in it's talons, it ignored the magpies and flew off.

Checked later and almost certainly a buzzard"

Its amazing seeing this, not for the black bird though ooops.

Buzzards do tend to go for small creatures or road kill.

I love seeing them in the summer in groups of about 6. All family I presume and riding the thermals xx

By *opsy RogersWoman  over a year ago

London

Whats a glorious thread to read before I get up and head to work, thank you!

In Canada many moons ago I saw a Bald Eagle on its nest and I was blown away, actually gobsmacked and last year whilst camping very high up a Welsh mountain, the birds were so low, I swear I could touch them.

I love how, when they are on display at a show, they consider us with such disdain.

By *ob Carpe DiemMan  over a year ago

Torquay

"Heard a real commotion at the front of my property once, when I looked it was two magpies squawking at a big bird of prey which had a female blackbird in it's talons, it ignored the magpies and flew off.

Checked later and almost certainly a buzzard

Its amazing seeing this, not for the black bird though ooops.

Buzzards do tend to go for small creatures or road kill.

I love seeing them in the summer in groups of about 6. All family I presume and riding the thermals xx"

Yes I read up on them, falconers don't like them as they consider them lazy, which just means difficult to train I think, they are pretty big and impressive up close though

"Whats a glorious thread to read before I get up and head to work, thank you!

In Canada many moons ago I saw a Bald Eagle on its nest and I was blown away, actually gobsmacked and last year whilst camping very high up a Welsh mountain, the birds were so low, I swear I could touch them.

I love how, when they are on display at a show, they consider us with such disdain. "

Thankyou lovely, ive wanted to do this type of thread for along time.

Im in love with them.

Ive seen Bald eagles at a few Bird of prey centres. They are blooming huge and so stunning. I wouldn't want to upset one though lol

By *arkhorse9Man  over a year ago

Devon

Before moving up to Devon recently I lived a couple of miles away from both the Cornish birds of prey centre and the Screech Owl sanctuary, and stupidly never got round to visiting either!

By *ElectricityMan  over a year ago

Preston

Yes I'm lucky to live in area where there a breeding pairs one of the few places in the UK .. stunning birds ??

By *mberWoman  over a year ago

Preston

"I often have a tawny owl in the tree outside my house and kestrels are nesting nearby which is beautiful.

I think I'd struggle to choose a favourite but a barn owl hunting in the twilight is one of my favourite things to see and I do love osprey too. I've had the fortune to see some amazing birds in the wild. White tailed sea eagles are also pretty amazing

Ive seen the famous ospreys towards north Wales. Monty and his family are amazing.

I was meant to go to Scotland in May for my 50th to see golden eagles and sea eagles. Been a dream 40 years. Sadly lockdown prevented it. To see these incredible eagles in the wild would be a dream xx"

It will be magical when you do. I've had great sightings of both on Mull and of goldies on Skye. So graceful.

I love watching the birds of prey, we have loads here, but my favourite is the red kite

"Before moving up to Devon recently I lived a couple of miles away from both the Cornish birds of prey centre and the Screech Owl sanctuary, and stupidly never got round to visiting either! "

Scteetch owl sanctuary is where I stayed for a week. Beautiful place just rained for a week x

I was meant to go to Scotland in May for my 50th to see golden eagles and sea eagles. Been a dream 40 years. Sadly lockdown prevented it. To see these incredible eagles in the wild would be a dream xx

It will be magical when you do. I've had great sightings of both on Mull and of goldies on Skye. So graceful."

Its the highlands ive dreamed of going and Skye. To see them wild would be a dream x

"I love watching the birds of prey, we have loads here, but my favourite is the red kite "

Red kites are absolutely beautiful birds, for such a size they have very weak talons. Ive seen the white one up in Gigrin farm x

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan  over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

We have a resident Red Kite round our way , magnificent to watch the serenity of these birds .

I was a YOC m_mber as a kid so I'm pretty clued up on birds

By *iddlesticksMan  over a year ago

My nan’s spare room.

I love all birds but raptors are special.

I often see Sparrowhawks which are incredible birds.

So good to see Red Kites making such a comeback too.

Although a corvid a pair of ravens have nested near me this year, they are impressive birds, one even landed in a huge tree in next doors garden the other day. Every bird in the neighbourhood was up in arms, I’ve never heard so many alarm calls.

By *ustBoWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

We have red kites up around here where I live they are amazing to watch.

Harris hawks are another one of my favouites tho.

"We have a resident Red Kite round our way , magnificent to watch the serenity of these birds .

I was a YOC m_mber as a kid so I'm pretty clued up on birds "

Ive learnt alot over the years but my hubby is a walking bird encyclopedia its amazing learning about them xx

"I love all birds but raptors are special.

I often see Sparrowhawks which are incredible birds.

So good to see Red Kites making such a comeback too.

Although a corvid a pair of ravens have nested near me this year, they are impressive birds, one even landed in a huge tree in next doors garden the other day. Every bird in the neighbourhood was up in arms, I’ve never heard so many alarm calls. "

Corvifs ate one of the most intelligent birds on the planet. They are all incredible in their own right x

I had lunch with a beautiful pair of Buzzards swooping effortlessly over head on Sunday.

Am hoping to get to see Storks in Sussex later this year, first time there breeding again in UK

"I had lunch with a beautiful pair of Buzzards swooping effortlessly over head on Sunday.

Am hoping to get to see Storks in Sussex later this year, first time there breeding again in UK "

Thats incredible both regarding the Buzzards and storks xx

Den of Iniquity

"We have a resident Red Kite round our way , magnificent to watch the serenity of these birds .

Ive learnt alot over the years but my hubby is a walking bird encyclopedia its amazing learning about them xx"

All nature is amazing , it's just sad that not everyone feels that way

By *ewforestguyMan  over a year ago

England

"Inspired from a similar named thread earlier today. RAPTORS, they are an absolute passion of mine. What's your favourite and what amazing stories do you have regarding these magnificent birds ?."

100% with you on this. If you get the chance to visit a kite farm, do it!! I Went to Bellymack Hill farm in Scotland a couple of years ago. Must have been 100 or so kites flying around. Awesome sight.

Ive learnt alot over the years but my hubby is a walking bird encyclopedia its amazing learning about them xx

All nature is amazing , it's just sad that not everyone feels that way "

Id have cracked up if it wasnt for nature. Its a huge happy for me xx

"Inspired from a similar named thread earlier today. RAPTORS, they are an absolute passion of mine. What's your favourite and what amazing stories do you have regarding these magnificent birds ?.

100% with you on this. If you get the chance to visit a kite farm, do it!! I Went to Bellymack Hill farm in Scotland a couple of years ago. Must have been 100 or so kites flying around. Awesome sight. "

I went to gigrin farm in mid Wales for my honeymoon, 100s there feeding. They are filling so well now x

Is it possible the Red kite might get overpopulated and affect the eco balance? They are flourishing and spreading.

Birds of prey are my passion and love photographing them I'm lucky there's a tropical house that has birds of prey close to me have some great photos of black kites owls and a favourite of mine that they have a white backed Vulture that I have had the pleasure of holding also love going for walks and taking photos of them in the wild

Worth searching Knepp estate rewilding for a really interesting nature project

"Is it possible the Red kite might get overpopulated and affect the eco balance? They are flourishing and spreading."

I dont believe they will ever affect the eco balance. They deserve their place here xx

"Birds of prey are my passion and love photographing them I'm lucky there's a tropical house that has birds of prey close to me have some great photos of black kites owls and a favourite of mine that they have a white backed Vulture that I have had the pleasure of holding also love going for walks and taking photos of them in the wild "

Id absolutely love to see a Black kite, sounds amazing where you are xx

"Worth searching Knepp estate rewilding for a really interesting nature project"

I will have a look xx

"Birds of prey are my passion and love photographing them I'm lucky there's a tropical house that has birds of prey close to me have some great photos of black kites owls and a favourite of mine that they have a white backed Vulture that I have had the pleasure of holding also love going for walks and taking photos of them in the wild

Id absolutely love to see a Black kite, sounds amazing where you are xx"

I'm in Sheffield and the place is at Aston xxx

No stories to tell but I live in an area with loads of red kites, see them every day. Also there's ospreys nearby.

Den of Iniquity

Id have cracked up if it wasnt for nature. Its a huge happy for me xx"

Me too . Whenever I take Pooch out I love seeing the squirrels and birds go about their daily chores

"Birds of prey are my passion and love photographing them I'm lucky there's a tropical house that has birds of prey close to me have some great photos of black kites owls and a favourite of mine that they have a white backed Vulture that I have had the pleasure of holding also love going for walks and taking photos of them in the wild

I'm in Sheffield and the place is at Aston xxx"

The photo you showed me was amazing x

"No stories to tell but I live in an area with loads of red kites, see them every day. Also there's ospreys nearby. "

To be near ospreys would be incredible, its not easy to see them where I live x

Id have cracked up if it wasnt for nature. Its a huge happy for me xx

Me too . Whenever I take Pooch out I love seeing the squirrels and birds go about their daily chores "

Do you have red or grey squirrels where you are. We have grey, They are classed as pests but not to me. They now have their place here I think. They are a beautiful sight when out walking x

"Is it possible the Red kite might get overpopulated and affect the eco balance? They are flourishing and spreading."

It's a legitimate concern for any animal whose numbers grow fairly quickly but, it's unlikely.

Firstly, red kite's talons are incredibly weak. But, they, along with buzzards, corvids and gulls are incredibly important for scavenging. Though, they are less likely to cause the issues that gulls and corvids cause. In fact, they're more likely to get damaged, even killed by these two groups of birds.

They're not very efficient hunters and often lose out to birds like buzzards and crows. But, their roll is vital in keeping rotting carcasses, etc from causing issues.

Other than the few feeding stations across the UK kite's find it quite difficult to find food, particularly in harsh conditions so the natural mortality rate is likely to control their population effectively enough. Not to mention the poisoning, sh**ting and other forms of persecution that they and other raptors are still subjected too.

By *ervent_fervourMan  over a year ago

Halifax

Used to the peregrine. Was obsessed with seeing one when I was a teenager, amd I rem_mber spending hours doing a pencil drawing of one in art class.

Little did I think I'd finally see one in the urban environment of Birmingham (BT Tower)!

Would love to see an osprey or sparrowhawk.or red kite.

But I think my favourite now might bebthe humble buzzard.

"Used to the peregrine. Was obsessed with seeing one when I was a teenager, amd I rem_mber spending hours doing a pencil drawing of one in art class.

Little did I think I'd finally see one in the urban environment of Birmingham (BT Tower)!

Would love to see an osprey or sparrowhawk.or red kite.

But I think my favourite now might bebthe humble buzzard. "

Im the same , the common buzzard is strikingly beautiful. Sejng them ride the thermsls and their little distinctive sound of the "mew". Its absolutely beautiful. They will always be my favourite x

"Is it possible the Red kite might get overpopulated and affect the eco balance? They are flourishing and spreading.

It's a legitimate concern for any animal whose numbers grow fairly quickly but, it's unlikely.

Firstly, red kite's talons are incredibly weak. But, they, along with buzzards, corvids and gulls are incredibly important for scavenging. Though, they are less likely to cause the issues that gulls and corvids cause. In fact, they're more likely to get damaged, even killed by these two groups of birds.

They're not very efficient hunters and often lose out to birds like buzzards and crows. But, their roll is vital in keeping rotting carcasses, etc from causing issues.

Other than the few feeding stations across the UK kite's find it quite difficult to find food, particularly in harsh conditions so the natural mortality rate is likely to control their population effectively enough. Not to mention the poisoning, sh**ting and other forms of persecution that they and other raptors are still subjected too. "

I agree here. Theres still many parts that dont have kites . I just prey Gigrin runs for many years. The kites now rely on this food source x

Got surrounded by red kites when wild camping in Wiltshire.

"Got surrounded by red kites when wild camping in Wiltshire. "

Im jealous

By *ushandkittyCouple  over a year ago

Gloucester

"Had anyone ever been to Jemima parry Jones International bird of prey centre in Gloucester. Its got to be the best selection of Raptors ever. Its cleans and fun for the family, loads of breeding programmes there too. Shes incredibly famous and does displays too xx"

Yes, kitty got me a hands on falconry experience day there a few years back, was awesome. Everything from burrowing owls and kookaburras to a condor and secretary bird.

"Had anyone ever been to Jemima parry Jones International bird of prey centre in Gloucester. Its got to be the best selection of Raptors ever. Its cleans and fun for the family, loads of breeding programmes there too. Shes incredibly famous and does displays too xx

Oh wow thats the best place ever for a bird of prey experience . Youve given me a great idea for a future birthday present. Did u meet jemima?

Yes, kitty got me a hands on falconry experience day there a few years back, was awesome. Everything from burrowing owls and kookaburras to a condor and secretary bird."

I have been fortunate to have been on a number of wildlife holidays in Scotland and had great views of Golden Eagles, White Tailed Sea Eagles and Ospreys. Two years ago I moved from Hampshire to Lincolnshire and one of the first things I did was visit Rutland to see the Osprey. Quite often see Buzzards and Kestrels when I'm driving around the Lincolnshire countryside. I love it

"I have been fortunate to have been on a number of wildlife holidays in Scotland and had great views of Golden Eagles, White Tailed Sea Eagles and Ospreys. Two years ago I moved from Hampshire to Lincolnshire and one of the first things I did was visit Rutland to see the Osprey. Quite often see Buzzards and Kestrels when I'm driving around the Lincolnshire countryside. I love it "

I should have been there in May. You are so lucky to have seen all youve seen and again im well jealous xx

By *ushandkittyCouple  over a year ago

Gloucester

"Had anyone ever been to Jemima parry Jones International bird of prey centre in Gloucester. Its got to be the best selection of Raptors ever. Its cleans and fun for the family, loads of breeding programmes there too. Shes incredibly famous and does displays too xx

Oh wow thats the best place ever for a bird of prey experience . Youve given me a great idea for a future birthday present. Did u meet jemima?

Yes, kitty got me a hands on falconry experience day there a few years back, was awesome. Everything from burrowing owls and kookaburras to a condor and secretary bird."

No I didnt but had a great day flying some of the birds they had there.

At home we have a few pairs of buzzards nesting round the area as well as red kites moving their way over from Oxfordshire.

Im now trying to find the largest species of Raptor. I thought it was the Harpy Eagle. Its talons are bloody huge and captures large monkeys. Any idea?

[Removed by poster at 18/06/20 16:17:19]

The photo you showed me was amazing x"

Thank you it's one thing I will never get bored off

The photo you showed me was amazing x

Thank you it's one thing I will never get bored off "

I never go out without my binoculars. Seen some incredible wildlife through them. X

By *urt 500Man  over a year ago

Swansea

I was driving near the outskirts of Haverfordwest once and saw two eagles, talons locked together, came crashing to the side of the hedge. I couldn't believe the size of their wingspan, lovely creatures.

"I was driving near the outskirts of Haverfordwest once and saw two eagles, talons locked together, came crashing to the side of the hedge. I couldn't believe the size of their wingspan, lovely creatures. "

We dont have eagles in Wales lovely, do you mean buzzardd? Or were they wearing jessies?

By *urt 500Man  over a year ago

Swansea

Lol, could be buzzards, they were big though.

"Lol, could be buzzards, they were big though.

"

Buzzards are similar size to a Raven. Eagles especially those in Scotland have a wing spam of about 7ft. Theres no mistaking these birds x

Wowzer !! What a thread

I love birds of prey and will read this properly later.

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

I saw an Eagle Owl once at a bird of prey exhibition (part of a local summer fete). It's the most amazing bird of prey I've ever seen.

The sparrow hawk with its amazing agility and dive speed, if am ever reincarnated I'd want to come back as one

"Wowzer !! What a thread

I love birds of prey and will read this properly later."

Aww thankyou see im full of surprises lop

"I saw an Eagle Owl once at a bird of prey exhibition (part of a local summer fete). It's the most amazing bird of prey I've ever seen."

They are stunning. Im sure they are in the top 3 larges Owls in the world xx

"The sparrow hawk with its amazing agility and dive speed, if am ever reincarnated I'd want to come back as one "
ive seen them fly over our garden with such speed

You also have the peregrine flacon that can hit speeds of upto 200mph

My best ever bird of prey experience was sitting on a crag in Scotland and hearing the unmistakable screams of a falcon. I looked up and it took a few seconds to figure out, there was a falcon mobbing a much larger bird. I instantly thought the falcon was a peregrine but then couldn't figure out the size difference before it dawned on me that the bird being mobbed was a golden eagle. The falcon broke off as they came overhead and the eagle dropped into the little Glen below where I was sat. It circled lazily for about 5 minutes flying almost directly below me with each pass, all the rich golds on its back glowing in the sun.

A holiday I'll never forget and an experience that'll stay with me forever.

Mr

"Buzzards. We have a family living on our land. Sometimes theres 5. She is forever coming really low over the house (that close you can see all her beautiful markings) - but always when I dont have my camera to hand.

And I'm bird phobic at that!"

where abouts in Rotherham I may have to come and sit around with my camera

"You also have the peregrine flacon that can hit speeds of upto 200mph "

The peregrine is the fastest creature on the plant. It hits those kind of speeds whilst in a stoop. For those who dont know a stoop is when the peregrine is above its food sourse and flying towards earth with its wings pulled in close and its like free falling. It strikes its prey killing it instantly from impact. Ive see lana and sakor falcons at shows perform similar but with food on a lure. They are super fast. X

"My best ever bird of prey experience was sitting on a crag in Scotland and hearing the unmistakable screams of a falcon. I looked up and it took a few seconds to figure out, there was a falcon mobbing a much larger bird. I instantly thought the falcon was a peregrine but then couldn't figure out the size difference before it dawned on me that the bird being mobbed was a golden eagle. The falcon broke off as they came overhead and the eagle dropped into the little Glen below where I was sat. It circled lazily for about 5 minutes flying almost directly below me with each pass, all the rich golds on its back glowing in the sun.

A holiday I'll never forget and an experience that'll stay with me forever.

Mr"

I so need to GB o to Scotland to see them. To see them sore across the skies its a top dream of mine . What an incredible experience you have xx

By *icentiousCouple  over a year ago

Up on them there hills

We have a lot of raptors where we live.

Anything from sparrow hawks to kestrels, my favourite is a pair of buzzards that breed every year, stunning to see the young hunting with their parents.

"We have a lot of raptors where we live.

Anything from sparrow hawks to kestrels, my favourite is a pair of buzzards that breed every year, stunning to see the young hunting with their parents."

I always see buzzard families here. They are incredible all in the sky together and calling to each other "mew" such a beautiful sound x

By *icentiousCouple  over a year ago

Up on them there hills

Anything from sparrow hawks to kestrels, my favourite is a pair of buzzards that breed every year, stunning to see the young hunting with their parents.

I always see buzzard families here. They are incredible all in the sky together and calling to each other "mew" such a beautiful sound x"

I’ll show you mine if you show me yours... pictures I mean... okay I’ll stop digging.

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

Have two stories.

Grew up on a farm and we had a very very pale buzzard who used to fly to post to post in front of the car. So could see it really up close.

In my workplace, there's a perch used by some peregrine falcons. So can get a decent view of them eating their kill.

love birds of prey i could watch them for hours

golden eagles are amazing probably my fav

"Have two stories.

Grew up on a farm and we had a very very pale buzzard who used to fly to post to post in front of the car. So could see it really up close.

In my workplace, there's a perch used by some peregrine falcons. So can get a decent view of them eating their kill. "

Id love to witness a plucking post scene . Barbaric I know but seeing them rip the food with their very sharp beak whilst held in their talons is amazing x

"love birds of prey i could watch them for hours

golden eagles are amazing probably my fav"

Have you seen Golden eagles in the wild?

By *awk90Man  over a year ago

Amsterdam

I am quite partial to a goshawk, myself!

I always see buzzard families here. They are incredible all in the sky together and calling to each other "mew" such a beautiful sound x

I’ll show you mine if you show me yours... pictures I mean... okay I’ll stop digging.

"

You have bird of prey photos?

"I am quite partial to a goshawk, myself!"

Omg Goshawks are incredible. I want to see one fly through a pine forest. Its skill and speed is phenomenal x

I just looked into the largest bird of ptey in the world. I thought it was the Harpy Eagle it is infact the Andean Condor. Its frigging huge . Go google it x

Have you seen Golden eagles in the wild?"

no i wish, but im planning a trip to scotland to go an adventure an hopefully get my first glimps of the beaut.

how about yourself op ??

"I just looked into the largest bird of ptey in the world. I thought it was the Harpy Eagle it is infact the Andean Condor. Its frigging huge . Go google it x"

just about to watch on youtube, will report back

no i wish, but im planning a trip to scotland to go an adventure an hopefully get my first glimps of the beaut.

how about yourself op ??"

I was all set to go May to the Highlands and Isle of Skye but covid stopped that. It was for my 50th. Id been planning it for years. Ive wanted to see the Golden eagles up there since age 10 x

By *oachman 9CoolMan  over a year ago

derby

Upto 14 species of birds of prey were present in our county in may, an extraordinary count of 35 buzzard congregating at a field being worked by a farmer along with one red-footed falcon briefly one evening, I,m still to see my first red kite in derbyshire the first and only red kites I,ve seen were part of the relic population of birds that still existed in wales in 1976 before the Introductions began here they are seen most months now here so with luck I should see one one day...

I used to hunt with Harris Hawks. A timid male and an absolute killer of a female who would tackle anything that moved! Watched her try and take down a young deer on her own, go after a house cat, went for my son once in a completely unprovoked attack and in the end managed to smash through a partition in her aviary, killed and ate the male!!

"Upto 14 species of birds of prey were present in our county in may, an extraordinary count of 35 buzzard congregating at a field being worked by a farmer along with one red-footed falcon briefly one evening, I,m still to see my first red kite in derbyshire the first and only red kites I,ve seen were part of the relic population of birds that still existed in wales in 1976 before the Introductions began here they are seen most months now here so with luck I should see one one day... "

How do you have a red footed falcon in your area?

I hope you get to see Red Kites seeing them flying their long wings are stunning x

derby

how about yourself op ??

I was all set to go May to the Highlands and Isle of Skye but covid stopped that. It was for my 50th. Id been planning it for years. Ive wanted to see the Golden eagles up there since age 10 x"

You,d be around 14 years old when I went up there with my parents for two weeks we stayed on skye for a while and travelled the highlands while up there well some at least thou went back up to the highlands at other times the lochs were endless, I had brief views of a golden eagle on skye and one day while alongside the loch at fort william I could see two dots high in the sky above the loch and with my binoculars I could see them as golden eagles something you never forget but bird watching is a lot about luck in what you see usually.

By *234ormoreCouple  over a year ago

Yeovil

We used to have a Harris hawk, an American kestrel (smaller than british) and a lanner falcon. Unfortunately we lost the land we used to fly them on so had to re home all of them. There was nothing better than going for a walk with the hawk and training the a.k. we didn't get far with the lanner before having to re home her though.

derby

"Upto 14 species of birds of prey were present in our county in may, an extraordinary count of 35 buzzard congregating at a field being worked by a farmer along with one red-footed falcon briefly one evening, I,m still to see my first red kite in derbyshire the first and only red kites I,ve seen were part of the relic population of birds that still existed in wales in 1976 before the Introductions began here they are seen most months now here so with luck I should see one one day...

I hope you get to see Red Kites seeing them flying their long wings are stunning x"

We get them come through on migration on passage a few years back one red footed falcon stayed in the same location for so long and was well photographed birds like honey buzzard and marsh harrier don,t hang around usually but fly through thou marsh harrier might hang around as well as osprey when hunting for fish in the local reservoirs.

how about yourself op ??

I was all set to go May to the Highlands and Isle of Skye but covid stopped that. It was for my 50th. Id been planning it for years. Ive wanted to see the Golden eagles up there since age 10 x You,d be around 14 years old when I went up there with my parents for two weeks we stayed on skye for a while and travelled the highlands while up there well some at least thou went back up to the highlands at other times the lochs were endless, I had brief views of a golden eagle on skye and one day while alongside the loch at fort william I could see two dots high in the sky above the loch and with my binoculars I could see them as golden eagles something you never forget but bird watching is a lot about luck in what you see usually. "

You are so lucky firstly to visit Skye and the Highlands but to see golden eagles whilst there is even more amazing

Some go there and come away seeing nothing. Loch ness is on my list too x

"We used to have a Harris hawk, an American kestrel (smaller than british) and a lanner falcon. Unfortunately we lost the land we used to fly them on so had to re home all of them. There was nothing better than going for a walk with the hawk and training the a.k. we didn't get far with the lanner before having to re home her though."

Thats gutting for you lovely

The American kestrel is definitely smaller in but so bloody gorgeous. Definitely one of the prettiest birds of prey there is. Ive seen a few especially at Jemima parry Joness International bird of prey centre x

"Upto 14 species of birds of prey were present in our county in may, an extraordinary count of 35 buzzard congregating at a field being worked by a farmer along with one red-footed falcon briefly one evening, I,m still to see my first red kite in derbyshire the first and only red kites I,ve seen were part of the relic population of birds that still existed in wales in 1976 before the Introductions began here they are seen most months now here so with luck I should see one one day...

I hope you get to see Red Kites seeing them flying their long wings are stunning x We get them come through on migration on passage a few years back one red footed falcon stayed in the same location for so long and was well photographed birds like honey buzzard and marsh harrier don,t hang around usually but fly through thou marsh harrier might hang around as well as osprey when hunting for fish in the local reservoirs. "

Thats what threw me , I knew they were migrating so having one stay longer is the wow factor. There must have been twitchers from all over. Ive never seen one anywhere x

By *unkym34Man  over a year ago

London

Well it’s not the same but a Robin flew into the back of my head while gardening the other day. I just wanted to tell some one lol

"Well it’s not the same but a Robin flew into the back of my head while gardening the other day. I just wanted to tell some one lol "

Ouch, was the bird ok? Sorry bird lover before human lol

Was you camouflaged?

London

"Well it’s not the same but a Robin flew into the back of my head while gardening the other day. I just wanted to tell some one lol

Was you camouflaged? "

I was not silly thing was following me around as I cut down some very over grown bush’s was enjoying the moths that I had disturbed. It was fine and continued to follow me around lol was quite amusing. We have had loads in and around our gardens this year. He was a young one there’s about 4 of them about at the moment. Me and the neighbours have been amazed this year at the number of pairs of them we have seen as you will very rarely see more than one. I think they have loved all the extra gardening we have been doing they have almost become tame At the moment any of us are out there And there they are waiting for worms, moths, ants, ear wigs to be disturbed for their lunch lol The also very much like a tortilla

"Well it’s not the same but a Robin flew into the back of my head while gardening the other day. I just wanted to tell some one lol

Was you camouflaged? I was not silly thing was following me around as I cut down some very over grown bush’s was enjoying the moths that I had disturbed. It was fine and continued to follow me around lol was quite amusing. We have had loads in and around our gardens this year. He was a young one there’s about 4 of them about at the moment. Me and the neighbours have been amazed this year at the number of pairs of them we have seen as you will very rarely see more than one. I think they have loved all the extra gardening we have been doing they have almost become tame At the moment any of us are out there And there they are waiting for worms, moths, ants, ear wigs to be disturbed for their lunch lol The also very much like a tortilla "

Ah ok, im seeing loads of young house sparrow now bloody gorgeous.

Robins are lovely but in adulthood they defend their territory and can fight to the death. Its their garden not yours lol

London

Was you camouflaged? I was not silly thing was following me around as I cut down some very over grown bush’s was enjoying the moths that I had disturbed. It was fine and continued to follow me around lol was quite amusing. We have had loads in and around our gardens this year. He was a young one there’s about 4 of them about at the moment. Me and the neighbours have been amazed this year at the number of pairs of them we have seen as you will very rarely see more than one. I think they have loved all the extra gardening we have been doing they have almost become tame At the moment any of us are out there And there they are waiting for worms, moths, ants, ear wigs to be disturbed for their lunch lol The also very much like a tortilla

Robins are lovely but in adulthood they defend their territory and can fight to the death. Its their garden not yours lol"

well they have certainly loved it this year across 4 of the gardens do not go a hour with out seeing a least a couple of them

Was you camouflaged? I was not silly thing was following me around as I cut down some very over grown bush’s was enjoying the moths that I had disturbed. It was fine and continued to follow me around lol was quite amusing. We have had loads in and around our gardens this year. He was a young one there’s about 4 of them about at the moment. Me and the neighbours have been amazed this year at the number of pairs of them we have seen as you will very rarely see more than one. I think they have loved all the extra gardening we have been doing they have almost become tame At the moment any of us are out there And there they are waiting for worms, moths, ants, ear wigs to be disturbed for their lunch lol The also very much like a tortilla

Robins are lovely but in adulthood they defend their territory and can fight to the death. Its their garden not yours lol well they have certainly loved it this year across 4 of the gardens do not go a hour with out seeing a least a couple of them "

All wildlife seems to be thriving right now, its beautiful x

Den of Iniquity

Sad story this morning .

I know its nature but our local Red Kite has torn a poor Dove to shreds and left it on the path by our back gate .

It could be a fox though as we have them too , .

It was saddening to see but that's nature

I am lucky to live in the countryside where we have Red Kites, Buzzards, Kestrals, Perigrin Falcons, Sparrow Hawks and Owls. It is a pleasure to see them soaring over the house.

"I love watching the birds of prey, we have loads here, but my favourite is the red kite

Red kites are absolutely beautiful birds, for such a size they have very weak talons. Ive seen the white one up in Gigrin farm x"

White? I didn’t know about that, I’ll have to look it up

"Sad story this morning .

I know its nature but our local Red Kite has torn a poor Dove to shreds and left it on the path by our back gate .

It was saddening to see but that's nature "

Are you sure it was the kite, they normally eat the stuff that’s already dead

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

Are you sure it was the kite, they normally eat the stuff that’s already dead "

Agree - would suspect foxes or the local cats - the two that live with me are forever bringing them in

By *stbury DavenportMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

There is a breeding pair of urban peregrine falcons that raise their chicks on a building I pass every day on my way to work. There's a webcam in the scrape too, and it's fascinating viewing in breeding season.

I've also interacted with many birds of prey, especially rescued owls, at various animal sanctuaries. I find the white-faced scops owl particularly adorable.

I've also been lucky enough to fly both Harris hawks and a European eagle owl on one occasion.

I also have a particularly magical memory of riding a trained jousting horse across the Cambridgeshire fens while red kites circled and called overhead.

Den of Iniquity

Are you sure it was the kite, they normally eat the stuff that’s already dead "

It's been killing shitloads of birds lately , but then so have the foxes so I cant be sure either way

By *udistcpl1Couple  over a year ago

Wirral

We have a regular visitor to our garden - a sparrow hawk.

By *iddlesticksMan  over a year ago

My nan’s spare room.

Are you sure it was the kite, they normally eat the stuff that’s already dead

Agree - would suspect foxes or the local cats - the two that live with me are forever bringing them in "

You live with foxes. You foxy bugger you.

I heard that domestic cats were responsible for the death of more birds than any other single cause of death.

I was into birds when I was a kid.

The Osprey was always my favourite, such an incredible looking bird. Loved watching the videos of them snatching fish from the water, what an amazing sight

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

I owned a Harris Hawk for a few years, I flew her for girl guides, boy scouts and other places. Till I found the right bit of land to fly her on, I dropped her weight too much due to bad information, i lost her.

She was a funny little thing.

It was saddening to see but that's nature "

It could be a cat, A redkite kills to eat and wouldn't have left its dinner there. Its also got very weak talons. Fox possibly but would eat it or take it away. Cats kill for sport. Its a harsh side to nature but they cant all go to tesco food shopping lol

Was it plucked?

"I am lucky to live in the countryside where we have Red Kites, Buzzards, Kestrals, Perigrin Falcons, Sparrow Hawks and Owls. It is a pleasure to see them soaring over the house. "

You have a lovely variety where you live. I saw my first wild owl only last week, it was a long eared owl, bloody stunning x

Den of Iniquity

It could be a cat, A redkite kills to eat and wouldn't have left its dinner there. Its also got very weak talons. Fox possibly but would eat it or take it away. Cats kill for sport. Its a harsh side to nature but they cant all go to tesco food shopping lol

Was it plucked? "

No , it was mutilated, cats dont bother eating them as far as I know so I'm assuming it was the Kite or a Fox .

I've witnessed this Kite preying on small birds so it could be