FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Hiking and wild camping

Hiking and wild camping

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *he Yorkshire Stripper OP   Man  over a year ago

Laceby

Anyone into hiking and/or wild camping?

I love just getting away from the crowds and the just being at one with nature. It’s good for the mind to let it switch off now and again.

Just before lockdown I done the Yorkshire three peaks and in February, Ben Nevis...the views were incredible. I would love to do the National three peaks.

I’ve wild camped in the Lakes, Wales and in the Yorkshire Dales and they’ve all been incredible.

I’m not expecting a huge rush of replies, it’s not your typical post

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *interfoxWoman  over a year ago

maesteg

I would I love try this one day..

By *oxic1998Woman  over a year ago

Belfast

I'd love to start camping out

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"Anyone into hiking and/or wild camping?

I love just getting away from the crowds and the just being at one with nature. It’s good for the mind to let it switch off now and again.

Just before lockdown I done the Yorkshire three peaks and in February, Ben Nevis...the views were incredible. I would love to do the National three peaks.

I’ve wild camped in the Lakes, Wales and in the Yorkshire Dales and they’ve all been incredible.

I’m not expecting a huge rush of replies, it’s not your typical post "

I pretty much do this every weekend x

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

A bunch of wild camp and are on the Facebook groups , UK and uk. We also naked wild swim in winter it’s amazing , your skin burns. Best to date was NYE at the summit of Cadair Idris , minus 16 in a bivi bag, champagne froze. Win Hill is good for a short one , do the 3P and Y3p regularly bit not will camping.

By *nabelle21Woman  over a year ago

B38

It sounds good to me. Just to get away, switch and clear my head

Dubai & Nottingham

There’s a place your way called Rosebury Topping we have wild camped. Also Luds Church, kinder ww2 crash sites, bleaklow Moor are all good spots: there’s also secret shooting lodge near Buxton with a guest book and supplies you need GPS to find it

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Did the pennine way last year. But all along it are hostels, campsites and bb in easy reach. I wild camped a few times. Greg's hut. Mountain rescue hut.

The year before I did some of the Ridgeway and wild camped most of that.

ashby de la zouch

"A bunch of wild camp and are on the Facebook groups , UK and uk. We also naked wild swim in winter it’s amazing , your skin burns. Best to date was NYE at the summit of Cadair Idris , minus 16 in a bivi bag, champagne froze. Win Hill is good for a short one , do the 3P and Y3p regularly bit not will camping. "

Ah cadair did you return mad or a poet

I'm still unsure x

Laceby

"I would I love try this one day..

You should...even if it’s just for to switch off for a while "

Laceby

"I'd love to start camping out "

I have a two man tent

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Yes love the concept quite like the idea of stealth camping as well. Follow a few Youtubers who do it.

Laceby

I pretty much do this every weekend x"

Where do you go?

Dubai & Nottingham

"A bunch of wild camp and are on the Facebook groups , UK and uk. We also naked wild swim in winter it’s amazing , your skin burns. Best to date was NYE at the summit of Cadair Idris , minus 16 in a bivi bag, champagne froze. Win Hill is good for a short one , do the 3P and Y3p regularly bit not will camping.

I'm still unsure x"

A bit mad tbh. It’s worth it , photographs of sunset and sunrise on a pure white landscape and the frozen lake half way up are something else. I wore spikes and took an ice axe for safety as there’s some drop offs and it was dark, it’s quite a treck up and takes a while for your toes to get warm , you need a good down filled mat but highly recommend doing it once

Laceby

[Removed by poster at 14/06/20 21:05:57]

I love hiking and wild camping, I'm lucky enough to have the lakes on my door step. I love being out doors, few days with camping gear, gold panning gear, air rifle or fishing and I'm a happy guy

Dubai & Nottingham

"Yes love the concept quite like the idea of stealth camping as well. Follow a few Youtubers who do it.

"

Who’s the guy Alistair someone , stealth adventurer ?

He inspired me a few years back and I keep a 10k pack in the boot now always ready - waterproof bivi, Down bag and mat, jetboil, oats, powder milk , aero press, coffee, trail shoes , base layer, top layer , water bottle, chocolate .... the idea is impromptu solo stealth camping

ashby de la zouch

"A bunch of wild camp and are on the Facebook groups , UK and uk. We also naked wild swim in winter it’s amazing , your skin burns. Best to date was NYE at the summit of Cadair Idris , minus 16 in a bivi bag, champagne froze. Win Hill is good for a short one , do the 3P and Y3p regularly bit not will camping.

I'm still unsure x

A bit mad tbh. It’s worth it , photographs of sunset and sunrise on a pure white landscape and the frozen lake half way up are something else. I wore spikes and took an ice axe for safety as there’s some drop offs and it was dark, it’s quite a treck up and takes a while for your toes to get warm , you need a good down filled mat but highly recommend doing it once "

Its It's actually a surprising good winter climb despite its proximity to the sea

Iv camped there autumn and winter

Iv actually never had cold toes in the UK. needs to drop below -18

I have a pair of down gloves and camp boots

Gutted this season was a wash out

Laceby

"It sounds good to me. Just to get away, switch and clear my head"

It’s perfect for just clearing your head...I come back with a different mindset.

I take my landrover and set up the roof tent in the middle of the Lake District and north wales. Nobody for miles. Love the peace and quiet.

Laceby

"There’s a place your way called Rosebury Topping we have wild camped. Also Luds Church, kinder ww2 crash sites, bleaklow Moor are all good spots: there’s also secret shooting lodge near Buxton with a guest book and supplies you need GPS to find it "

Thank you, I’ll have a look. I’ve hiked Luds Church...it’s stunning.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

"Yes love the concept quite like the idea of stealth camping as well. Follow a few Youtubers who do it.

Who’s the guy Alistair someone , stealth adventurer ?

He inspired me a few years back and I keep a 10k pack in the boot now always ready - waterproof bivi, Down bag and mat, jetboil, oats, powder milk , aero press, coffee, trail shoes , base layer, top layer , water bottle, chocolate .... the idea is impromptu solo stealth camping "

Alastair Humphreys?

Another channel worth a look for stealth camping is Vagabond Holiday. Would not do what he does but great watching.

By *mberWoman  over a year ago

Preston

I love hiking. It's a long time since I wild camped though. I'd rather camp where there's a loo. Plus I don't like carrying all the kit.

But hiking and camping somewhere remote is great.

I've done the Y3P and N3P. Both are great.

Dubai & Nottingham

I'm still unsure x

A bit mad tbh. It’s worth it , photographs of sunset and sunrise on a pure white landscape and the frozen lake half way up are something else. I wore spikes and took an ice axe for safety as there’s some drop offs and it was dark, it’s quite a treck up and takes a while for your toes to get warm , you need a good down filled mat but highly recommend doing it once

Its It's actually a surprising good winter climb despite its proximity to the sea

Iv camped there autumn and winter

Iv actually never had cold toes in the UK. needs to drop below -18

I have a pair of down gloves and camp boots

Gutted this season was a wash out "

I know those ‘booties’ lol can’t bring myself to own a pair but I know a lot of people do and swear by them. I think my problem is cos I’m a trail / fell runner so so don’t do traditional boots and feet are often wet by the time I’m getting in the bivi. I like to stay light and agile max 10-15k on my back and light speed cross type footwear doesn’t always lead to a good nights sleep in winter

"I love hiking. It's a long time since I wild camped though. I'd rather camp where there's a loo. Plus I don't like carrying all the kit.

I've done the Y3P and N3P. Both are great."

That’s why I got into “overlanding” I don’t wanna carry everything.

By *ydrewMan  over a year ago

Bournemouth

love hiking and camping. Go down jurassic coast a lot

Dubai & Nottingham

"I love hiking. It's a long time since I wild camped though. I'd rather camp where there's a loo. Plus I don't like carrying all the kit.

I've done the Y3P and N3P. Both are great."

You ever had a fab wild camp ?

In summer you don’t need to carry much and just pee before you sleep. You can pack 7-8kg on your back for one nights camp

Dubai & Nottingham

Anyone run Y3P ?

Laceby

I’ve never seen so many stars when I’ve wild camped either.

You are usually away from a lot of light pollution so it’s perfect on a clear night.

Laceby

I've done the Y3P and N3P. Both are great..

In summer you don’t need to carry much and just pee before you sleep. You can pack 7-8kg on your back for one nights camp "

No, no FAB wild camping but I’d be up for it. One way to keep warm of a night

By *entleman JayMan  over a year ago

Wakefield

I did Wearnside and Ingleborough today with a lovely Fab friend. She was like a mountain goat lol. I’d prefer to stay in B&Bs on route to be honest. Not a fan of camping.

Dubai & Nottingham

"I’ve never seen so many stars when I’ve wild camped either.

You are usually away from a lot of light pollution so it’s perfect on a clear night.

"

This is exactly why we bivi not tent - all toasty warm with a slightly cold nose , stars and space station orbiting on a June night on the summit of Win Hill it’s bliss....and then sunrise

"

Some beautiful sights from being in the middle of nowhere, high enough for no light pollution.

I can't do the hiking at the mo but I am planning on going basic but not wild camping as soon as I'm able to. Looking forward to it

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

We were at Ben Nevis in February! We can’t wild camp anymore as need electric hookup for medical equipment

J x

By *ily WhiteWoman  over a year ago

?

I'd love to try wild camping, I adore being out in nature

By *elshcouple18Couple  over a year ago

Cardiff

We've wild camped once, by a little river up in the Brecon Beacons. Now it's a bit more luxury, in our little vw. Had to cancel 3 trips due to lockdown..

By *herryblossom_BJWoman  over a year ago

Oxfordshire/Hampshire

I’m not expecting a huge rush of replies, it’s not your typical post "

Definitely like to try it with the right person. I want to go on them organised weekend experiences so I can meet new people and learn about bush craft

I’m really Ono wild camping. On foot and on bike

Dubai & Nottingham

Definitely like to try it with the right person. I want to go on them organised weekend experiences so I can meet new people and learn about bush craft "

The fave book groups are good for that there are wild camping and bush craft meet-ups and a spin off for singles. Just join the right ones based on your views on fire, they can be brutal ....

By *aulaxd500TV/TS  over a year ago

Wigan

I do like a bit of wild camping, especially when bikepacking

Laceby

"I did Wearnside and Ingleborough today with a lovely Fab friend. She was like a mountain goat lol. I’d prefer to stay in B&Bs on route to be honest. Not a fan of camping. "

I was on Buckden Pike...the views were incredible so I imagine Whernside would have been good too

Laceby

I wild camped at Malham Tarn on New Years Eve...the sunrise for the New Year was amazing. The pic I took is going on a split canvas in my bedroom.

This is exactly why we bivi not tent - all toasty warm with a slightly cold nose , stars and space station orbiting on a June night on the summit of Win Hill it’s bliss....and then sunrise "

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

I'm into wild swimming if that counts

Laceby

"I can't do the hiking at the mo but I am planning on going basic but not wild camping as soon as I'm able to. Looking forward to it"

Just getting out and going back to basics is great...making a fire in a fire pit...jacket potatoes...games

Laceby

"We were at Ben Nevis in February! We can’t wild camp anymore as need electric hookup for medical equipment

J x"

I went to the Fort William hiking festival...it was brilliant. Ice climbing and hiking.

Laceby

"I'd love to try wild camping, I adore being out in nature "

Well if you ever fancy it...it really does make you feel at one with nature. There’s no noise from other tents, no light pollution. Just you and nature...

By *ORDERMANMan  over a year ago

wrexham

On the same theme someone had uploaded onto YouTube.. "walking across wales in a straight line"

Starting out near oswestry quest is to walk in straight line across wales in a straight line not deviating from his gps Tracker

Over and through hedges cross rivers and lakes camping in wild woods..sneaking through folks gardens and farm yards..

It's a good watch...eventually comes out by famous George pub on mawddach estuary near dolgellau..

Laceby

"We've wild camped once, by a little river up in the Brecon Beacons. Now it's a bit more luxury, in our little vw. Had to cancel 3 trips due to lockdown.."

Yeah definately more luxury than a tent. That’s the dream to get a VW Van

Yes, absolutely love setting up a tent somewhere especially next to a lake or river, love to swim in as many lakes or rivers as I can because I find it refreshing... I actually find camping more comfortable and peaceful than sleeping in a bed.

The other week I was just sleeping outside in the garden mainly to cool off ... and somehow it was more comfortable than the bed I have

ashby de la zouch

"Yes, absolutely love setting up a tent somewhere especially next to a lake or river, love to swim in as many lakes or rivers as I can because I find it refreshing... I actually find camping more comfortable and peaceful than sleeping in a bed.

The other week I was just sleeping outside in the garden mainly to cool off ... and somehow it was more comfortable than the bed I have "

I find sleeping on the ground considerably better than a bed

ashby de la zouch

Sleeping on snow is the best

Laceby

"I do like a bit of wild camping, especially when bikepacking"

Bike and tent and away you go anywhere...that sounds perfect...

Some great wild camps in the lakes, it's usually accepted to wold camp above 300m contour.

There are plenty of qualified mountain guides that will guide and even run wild camping trips for clients.

One of my favorite things to do...

Laceby

"Some great wild camps in the lakes, it's usually accepted to wold camp above 300m contour.

There are plenty of qualified mountain guides that will guide and even run wild camping trips for clients.

One of my favorite things to do... "

The thing I love about wild camping though is to pick an area, then trek it and look out for potential places. I find if it’s too structured I’d hate it or had too many rules

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Lots of fantastic wild camping spots in the forest, love being surrounded by wildlife and not a person in sight

Laceby

"Yes, absolutely love setting up a tent somewhere especially next to a lake or river, love to swim in as many lakes or rivers as I can because I find it refreshing... I actually find camping more comfortable and peaceful than sleeping in a bed.

The other week I was just sleeping outside in the garden mainly to cool off ... and somehow it was more comfortable than the bed I have "

I think it’s just the fresh air...must ease your body more or usually I’ve walked in a few miles with pack so I’m tired!

I was meant to go camping next week but lost another mini holiday due to covid

I absolutely love sleeping outdoors

The smell of nature all around

Laceby

"I was meant to go camping next week but lost another mini holiday due to covid

The smell of nature all around "

Yes there’s nothing that beats it. I sleep so well in a tent...except when I need a wee in the night

By *mberWoman  over a year ago

Preston

In summer you don’t need to carry much and just pee before you sleep. You can pack 7-8kg on your back for one nights camp "

No, I would though if it was someone I knew well. You're a bit vulnerable out in the middle of nowhere.

By *ge_load_ladMan  over a year ago

NW & Mids

"I take my landrover and set up the roof tent in the middle of the Lake District and north wales. Nobody for miles. Love the peace and quiet. "

Hi G cant msg you due to your filters could you msg me please, re wild camping and overlanding

Laceby

In summer you don’t need to carry much and just pee before you sleep. You can pack 7-8kg on your back for one nights camp

No, I would though if it was someone I knew well. You're a bit vulnerable out in the middle of nowhere."

Yes I wouldn’t select it as a first meet

By *lue eyed builderMan  over a year ago

Gloucester

I’d definitely enjoy this with a bunch of good friends or even something spontaneous with a female friend

Me and my crew have done nevis, and camped a few, off the grid spots in cornwall. We usually find a spot on google earth then hike from the cars about an hour

S

"I was meant to go camping next week but lost another mini holiday due to covid

The smell of nature all around

Yes there’s nothing that beats it. I sleep so well in a tent...except when I need a wee in the night "

Omg its bloody freezing then lol lucky ive a portaloo. Got to have some comforts lol

Dubai & Nottingham

No, I would though if it was someone I knew well. You're a bit vulnerable out in the middle of nowhere."

First time I solo camped on kinder scout I lay there all night terrified with an ice axe in my hands! every little sound you imagine is a serial killer up on the moor lol. In reality biggest risk is getting lost or injured walking in the dark , very rarely see anyone other than occasionally another wild camper !

Laceby

No, I would though if it was someone I knew well. You're a bit vulnerable out in the middle of nowhere.

First time I solo camped on kinder scout I lay there all night terrified with an ice axe in my hands! every little sound you imagine is a serial killer up on the moor lol. In reality biggest risk is getting lost or injured walking in the dark , very rarely see anyone other than occasionally another wild camper ! "

I just think to myself what are the chances of there being two axe murderers in the wild at the same time

I think once you get away from that thought you are fine but yes the fear is real

Lived wild 2 years....no home but the fields, the hills and the trees...totally shut off from people..changed my consciousness forever..dont think same as I used to..not even close..

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

First time I solo camped on kinder scout I lay there all night terrified with an ice axe in my hands! every little sound you imagine is a serial killer up on the moor lol. In reality biggest risk is getting lost or injured walking in the dark , very rarely see anyone other than occasionally another wild camper ! "

This is why I take my terrier with me

By *lint-EverhardMan  over a year ago

Perpignan and cap

I keep meaning to get a grab/ bivvy bag together and do this in the Pyrenees.

I spend plenty of nights outside fishing but wild camping is a completely different chicken. Great views too.

Laceby

"Lived wild 2 years....no home but the fields, the hills and the trees...totally shut off from people..changed my consciousness forever..dont think same as I used to..not even close.. "

Wow...sounds amazing and scary

By *offee27Man  over a year ago

Wiltshire

I go hiking a lot in Wiltshire on my days off, helps clear my mind. Sometimes take my tent and camp wild for the night

By *hatYorkLadMan  over a year ago

York

I do plenty of it with the army but it would be nice to get out and do it without the lack of sleep and having to walk miles carrying loads of gear in a civvy capacity!

Laceby

"I go hiking a lot in Wiltshire on my days off, helps clear my mind. Sometimes take my tent and camp wild for the night"

It’s just the perfect getaway from life

Laceby

"I do plenty of it with the army but it would be nice to get out and do it without the lack of sleep and having to walk miles carrying loads of gear in a civvy capacity!"

Yes, you actually want to enjoy it not without all that gear

» Add a new message to this topic