FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > The Scouts

The Scouts

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ssex_tom OP   Man  over a year ago

Chelmsford

Apparently Baden Powell who helped start the Scouts has a statue on the take down list. Authorities removed for safe keeping.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

What did he do wrong?

Chelmsford

Some say he supported the Nazis but in truth I don't know much about him. Dead men can't defend themselves or sue for libel...

We all have skeletons apart from jellyfish I reckon

Chelmsford

Do we judge our ancestors by the standards of today and not yesteryear. What was acceptable then might not be acceptable now. And what is acceptable now may not have been acceptable then.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Do we judge our ancestors by the standards of today and not yesteryear. What was acceptable then might not be acceptable now. And what is acceptable now may not have been acceptable then.

"

Can you give an example ?

I find somethings highly offensive that are acceptable today , for example sexualisation of pre teen girls , aggressive tax reduction, prime ministers who lie are racist and idiots , so would happily be judged by future standards when I’m dead

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Baden Powell was a Colonel during the Boer War I believe, let’s just say some of his actions and beliefs would be wholly unacceptable and very much un-PC, especially by today’s standards of what is socially acceptable.

Back during his time cultures and what was considered the norm were very different though (I’m not advocating this btw), the scout movement as we know it today is a great thing for young boys/adults, but I think when it was originally conceived, the original concept would be very different to what it is today.

Did he do wrong?? I’ll let you decide, personally I think he did, but that’s just the way it was back then. It’s history, can’t change it, all we can do is learn from the mistakes of our forefathers and not repeat them.

That was a much longer response than anticipated.

» Add a new message to this topic