FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Wtf happened to hip hop/rap

Wtf happened to hip hop/rap

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *borofucktoy OP   Man  over a year ago

Peterborough

I was always a fan of the genre since I was a kid and would blast bone thugs and harmony full blast in my bedroom..it has always been about wordplay and clever use of lyrics,usually with a substantial message using their platform to make a difference! Which is why I became a huge eminem fan.

I've had MTV base on for the last hour hoping to hear something decent but now my eyes hurt from constant rolling

Nothing but repetitive,autotune garbage with nothing more to say than "I have money" or "I take xanex"..(I think,I couldnt really tell lol)

anyway rant over ..just gonna go on YouTube

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

Peterborough

Also points to anyone who gets the title reference lol

By *ntrigued32Couple  over a year ago

Nottingham

UK rap is the way forward OP

D.

By *mberWoman  over a year ago

Preston

I like hip hop from 20 years ago. Not so keen on new stuff.

I was giving a student a lift last year and I picked the music on the way there, he picked on the way back. I can't rem_mber what he picked but the lyrics were

"Suck my dick bitch, or I'll slit your throat until it runs red bitch"

I was horrified, which led to a chat about the objectification of women and respect and "you know that's not normal behaviour don't you?"

But I'm maybe being hypocritical, I bet the old school stuff has similar in it too.

By *quaman87Man  over a year ago

ramsey

The new generation killed it!

New music now days is absolutely shocking! No talent just utter shit!

Nothing on the hip hop and rnb back in the day!

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

The Snoop Dog “Just Eat” adverts are better than most stuff i’ve seen recently.

By *adetMan  over a year ago

South of Ipswich

"The new generation killed it!

Nothing on the hip hop and rnb back in the day! "

This

Music in general is diabolical these days

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Triplets and a low bass line in the 40hz range have a lot to answer for

It’s all the same rinse and repeat formula

By *rNaughtyNickMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

Mumble nonsense grew up on late 80's and 90s hip hop / rap.

Might of been a bit hardcore tho the lyrics had a underlying message from the street and the troubles happening before social media.

Nowadays its all mumble nonsense and getting likes for the Instagram etc...

Nothing says " I'm getting old" more than dismissing the music of the day as shite while pining for the music of your youth...

"Nothing says " I'm getting old" more than dismissing the music of the day as shite while pining for the music of your youth..."

Or maybe just maybe, hip hop is not as good as it used to be

By *ulahlollipopWoman  over a year ago

Reading/London

"Nothing says " I'm getting old" more than dismissing the music of the day as shite while pining for the music of your youth..."

This

Regardless, we can all agree mumble rap is utter shit thought can’t we

"I like hip hop from 20 years ago.

But I'm maybe being hypocritical, I bet the old school stuff has similar in it too."

The old school stuff definitely did (very mysognyistic too) - rem_mber those 'parental guidance' stickers on cassettes/records. I was never into it but had friends that were. Much of today's stuff is awful - much more mainstream whilst glorifying Xanex and the like

By *rAitchMan  over a year ago

Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe

Chap Hop is the way to go. It's hip hop but with received pronunciation.

Check out Mr B The Gentleman Rhymer and also Professor Elemental.

Tell me, what great current bands are there that compare to The Clash, Sex Pistols, The Jam, The Kinks, The Stones etc etc, I’m genuinely interested cause I’d like to check them out ?!

"Nothing says " I'm getting old" more than dismissing the music of the day as shite while pining for the music of your youth...

Tell me, what great current bands are there that compare to The Clash, Sex Pistols, The Jam, The Kinks, The Stones etc etc, I’m genuinely interested cause I’d like to check them out ?!"

With modern day music, there is so much on offer that unless you’re into that genre a lot of the groundbreaking stuff goes unnoticed.

Look at bands such as enter shikari, they literally pioneered there own genre in breaking down the walls of musical genre boundaries, they combine this with very relevant issues in modern society.

Bands such as meshuggah, the technical skill that goes into there songs is mind blowing, once you understand what’s actually happening musically in there songs it’s crazy how skilled it is.

Arctic monkeys, they pretty much blew up the indie scene when they arrived and inspired a new generation of musicians, myself being one of them.

"Nothing says " I'm getting old" more than dismissing the music of the day as shite while pining for the music of your youth...

Tell me, what great current bands are there that compare to The Clash, Sex Pistols, The Jam, The Kinks, The Stones etc etc, I’m genuinely interested cause I’d like to check them out ?!"

The Courteeners, blossoms, inhaler, Fontaine’s DC etc etc.

There are some brilliant bands around that in time will be thought of in as high regard.

Back to the original post though I do agree, hip hop has pretty much died.

I haven’t heard anything I’ve enjoyed that would qualify as hip hop since the beasties released make some noise way back in 2011.

https://youtu.be/WdgLMslbDuY

Tell me, what great current bands are there that compare to The Clash, Sex Pistols, The Jam, The Kinks, The Stones etc etc, I’m genuinely interested cause I’d like to check them out ?!

There are some brilliant bands around that in time will be thought of in as high regard.

I haven’t heard anything I’ve enjoyed that would qualify as hip hop since the beasties released make some noise way back in 2011.

https://youtu.be/WdgLMslbDuY"

Those bands are doing nothing that hadn’t already been done, but better

Those bands are doing nothing that hadn’t already been done, but better "

You did ask for bands that compare.

What has been will be again,

what has been done will be done again;

there is nothing new under the Sun.

By *hav02Man  over a year ago

Glasgow/London

Hip hop died with 2pac

By *ntrigued32Couple  over a year ago

Nottingham

Check out Akala UK rapper who is very far from the ‘look how hard I am/look how much money I have’ rap of today

D.

By *ot-AshMan  over a year ago

London

my friends and i still play our old electro rap cd's from the 80's and get some funny looks when we stop at the lights and Man Parish is blasting out the speakers or Newcleus..Jam on it...

I do like Garage from the late 90's early 2000's and some Grime but rap music of today just doesn't do it for me.....

By *rNaughtyNickMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

This is true tho when the youth of today actually idolise 80s and 90s music doesn't that say something about today's music ??

Peterborough

"Check out Akala UK rapper who is very far from the ‘look how hard I am/look how much money I have’ rap of today

D."

thanks I'll check it out

Peterborough

these kids and there con sarn hippy hop ...in fairness some new artists are still trying to keep lyricism and wordplay alive (Joyner,Kendrick logic etc)

"UK rap is the way forward OP

D."

Yes yes yes.

Absolutely rubbish now rapping about having to slum it about in a Bentley lol

Dave, AJ, Nines, J Cole, Kendrick, Bas, Jay Rock, JID, Vince Staples, Tyler. Rap is in good hands. There’s extremely talented artists out there. There’s place for appreciation of old school and new school. Too often people are just romanticising their youth.

By *wingin CatMan  over a year ago

London

On much the same note, why is modern day R&B called R&B, when it's neither rhythm nor blues?

Peterborough

"Absolutely rubbish now rapping about having to slum it about in a Bentley lol "
two words "Gucci gang"

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

By *irenGuy70Man  over a year ago

Cirencester

"I was always a fan of the genre since I was a kid and would blast bone thugs and harmony full blast in my bedroom..it has always been about wordplay and clever use of lyrics,usually with a substantial message using their platform to make a difference! Which is why I became a huge eminem fan.

I've had MTV base on for the last hour hoping to hear something decent but now my eyes hurt from constant rolling

Nothing but repetitive,autotune garbage with nothing more to say than "I have money" or "I take xanex"..(I think,I couldnt really tell lol)

anyway rant over ..just gonna go on YouTube "

I would love to know if there's any groups nowadays that have the vibe of 80's-early 90's hip hop. I've tried to get into 'current' stuff but it's just not for me. I think I really miss the days of hip hop, rather than rap, where you had a proper DJ as part of the collective alongside the MC's. I tried a Tyler the Creator LP and it just sounded like he was reading out poems to someone pressing random keys on a drum machine!

The beats changed and became trap because its easy to make and you don't have to clear samples. The rise of the internet and software changed the sound completely. Easier to make everything yourself than sample a record and potentiality get sued if you don't clear it first. Some songs can take years to come out where you can knock out a trap beat in a hour or so.

The style will always change because only the younger people buy stuff on itunes etc so whatever taps into that market sells.

There are a few who don't mumble rap. Some have been mentioned but theres Joyner lucas, logic, hopsin, Kendrick Lamar, black thought, big sean, boogie etc

Dig a little deeper for the better stuff. Royce da 5 9 has a few album's with dj premier that are pretty sick and have the older sound and content

Boom bap isn't coming back because its a smart decision. Sting fucked someone over recently who only transposed on his riffs, took like 90%, the marvin gaye estate ruined the guy who did the song with pharrell. So dilla style beats are probably done.

The youth have always been into drugs so rapping about lean and xanax is in. Social media, clicks and views are massive so face tats and outlandish behaviour are the best forms of promotion as everyones on 360 deals these days.

I love hiphop/rap but trap and mumble rap is here to stay for a while. Around the time timbaland was producing everything was when it started to change.

I'm waffling now but yeah, the mainstream stuff is shite now.

I don't mind a bit of mumble rap, Too Cocky was in my top ten tracks of the year couple years back...

By *tooveMan  over a year ago

belfast

"The new generation killed it!

Nothing on the hip hop and rnb back in the day!

This

Music in general is diabolical these days"

No it's not. I dunno about rap because it's not my thing but plenty of other good music about these days.

By *tooveMan  over a year ago

belfast

Those bands are doing nothing that hadn’t already been done, but better "

You could have said that at the time about the jam and the sex pistols.

By *arksxMan  over a year ago

Leicester / London

Regardless, we can all agree mumble rap is utter shit thought can’t we "

Whilst i agree with this

Dont forget Old school hip hop had the fucking ying yang twins with whisper rap.

Two men whispering to women about how they are gonna "make a pussy wet"

Because old rap was about a statement of the time, todays it is about creating a false image of where they think people should aspire to be. The music is bland and unimaginative because there is no real passion or artistic inspiration.

By *arksxMan  over a year ago

Leicester / London

"Because old rap was about a statement of the time, todays it is about creating a false image of where they think people should aspire to be. The music is bland and unimaginative because there is no real passion or artistic inspiration. "

Slow your roll I agree that applies to mainstream rap.

And that's the difference old rap was more an underground sound. For most of us we had to (put up with) Tim Westwood fake east/west coast fake American accent just to hear some rap on the radio

Now you can turn multiple streaming apps with multiple sub genres of rap. It's also a multi million dollar industry.

But with that said there is still bands living up to old rap ethos with modern sounds.

I think run the jewels might fit that description best

https://youtu.be/pg0byaqVaXo

Why do people hate young people so much. It’s ntd Lmao.

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

Just add the C and you have it just right.

Hip Hop and rap aren't really the same genre though, well at least not in our book.

"Up from the 36 chambeeers"

S

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

"The Snoop Dog “Just Eat” adverts are better than most stuff i’ve seen recently.

"

Tacos to the chateau. Love it.

I'm the same, loved Biggie smalls, Dre etc. Not keen at all on the rap scene these days for all the reasons mentioned above.

However, are we just old blokes saying music weren't like this in my day...

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

"The Snoop Dog “Just Eat” adverts are better than most stuff i’ve seen recently.

I'm the same, loved Biggie smalls, Dre etc. Not keen at all on the rap scene these days for all the reasons mentioned above.

However, are we just old blokes saying music weren't like this in my day..."

Nay, just musical connoisseurs

By *laymateteeMan  over a year ago

bristol

Hip hop is still alive and well . Listen to Kendrick and Nasty C, very intelligent and intellectual rappers

Rem_mber when we had Earthquake and Pass Out blasting out? I thought that was the beginning of a new musical dynasty for the 2010s. Instead, we got acoustic guitars and wobbly singing. Oh what could have been.

By *.D.I.D.A.SMan  over a year ago

London/Essex... ish... Romford to be exact

I think great music is reflective of the society and movement it is spawned from. Be it, punk, gangster rap, rock n roll, acid house or grunge. Right now, there is a bit of a cultural vacuum in terms of the youth spawning their own cultural movement. What is the voice of today's teenager trying to say that evokes it's own identity, ideas and aspirations? Drake, Ed Sheeran, Billie Eilish? Are these cultural icons? There is no authenticity or oomph when you look back and compare to the likes of Kurt Cobain, Freddie Mercury, Madonna etc whose music reached all parts of society. This is in part due to a more digital society. Consumption of music has changed music forever. Top of the pops and the charts used to be significant. Now music is transient and disposable designed to be three minutes and incorporated into as many recommendations on Playlists as possible. Therefore music must be snappy and short and fit into algorithms. Everyone is more beige. Artists are less edgy. Record labels are risk averse. Producers are less innovative. Most music is now electronica of some form. Background music for kids whilst they play fifa. This inspires kids to create more of the same on their Macbooks.

It'd be interesting to look back on today in twenty year's time. I wonder if people will still be playing the likes of Careless Whisper and Bohemian Rhapsody when they refer to as being near universal classics by all age groups. Have there been any songs in the noughties which people have heard and thought, they'll definitely still be playing this in years to come? There are occasional good new releases even I will say that but I'd no way class them as greats. We had our golden age.

Peterborough

However, are we just old blokes saying music weren't like this in my day..."

yeah I do love those adverts lmao..I do kinda feel like one of the "old school" crowd moaning about today's music..but I do see some talented artists coming through (Kendrick,joyner,hopsin etc) so maybe there is hope still ..I just see a rapid decline in the very thing that makes the genre unique

Most music genres that explode onto the scene get washed out and rinsed by the big companies once they realise 'the kids' are spending their money on them... it happened to punk , new wave, glam , reggae , etc

By *htcMan  over a year ago

MK

The exact reason I stopped listening to English language music. Spanish rap is the king. All Spanish music beats English language music.

I agree to some extent that RnB and rap is not as good as the 90s scene. But same can be said about dance music too.

Artists have to have some music that hits the charts or they get no radio play and then there skint. We all need money dont we lol.

There are some good rappers stil. Just we need to move with the times and recognise the style has changed. A lot are more grime than rap.

My 2 fav at the moment are Fredo and K Koke. Oh and Burna

I listen to everything though. Xx

Peterborough

"I agree to some extent that RnB and rap is not as good as the 90s scene. But same can be said about dance music too.

Artists have to have some music that hits the charts or they get no radio play and then there skint. We all need money dont we lol.

There are some good rappers stil. Just we need to move with the times and recognise the style has changed. A lot are more grime than rap.

My 2 fav at the moment are Fredo and K Koke. Oh and Burna

I listen to everything though. Xx"

you make some good points..with other genres all I'm seeing is rehashed songs,I'll have a listen to your recommendations though..always looking for new music

» Add a new message to this topic