FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Black minority and proud.

Black minority and proud.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *heblackmac OP   Man  over a year ago

Ladywell, Lewisham.

As a black person I'm standing tall and proud. What happens to George Floyd in America should have never happened. This has been on going issues. Different colours ONE people.I hate individual that tried to Demolished and separate us because of our different colours.

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Respect and solidarity.

Ladywell, Lewisham.

"Respect and solidarity."
thank you

By *nabelle21Woman  over a year ago

B38

One love x

Ladywell, Lewisham.

"One love x"

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"As a black person I'm standing tall and proud. What happens to George Floyd in America should have never happened. This has been on going issues. Different colours ONE people.I hate individual that tried to Demolished and separate us because of our different colours. "

Amen.

So very true...stand proud mate...

Big respect my brother. Black and proud

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

We are appalled by the overt, institutional racism on display in the USA. What happens to George Floyd was shocking and the officer who did it is guilty of murder as far as we're concerned (not manslaughter).

I certainly wouldn't say the UK has rid itself of racism by any means, but we are further down that road than than the USA which is a country which has white supremacy at its core.

I remember the Rodney King case in the 90s and have seen many examples of overt racism since. Whilst I think rioting is not the solution, I have little sympathy for institutions that disempower minorities to such an extent that they leave the minorities thinking they have little other outlet to express their outrage.

Donald Trump is a racist. He has no business criticising rioters unless he does something to address the underlying issue that a great many people in the USA sincerely believe black people are inferior and it is right to crush them underfoot.

Manchester (she/her)

"We are appalled by the overt, institutional racism on display in the USA. What happens to George Floyd was shocking and the officer who did it is guilty of murder as far as we're concerned (not manslaughter).

I certainly wouldn't say the UK has rid itself of racism by any means, but we are further down that road than than the USA which is a country which has white supremacy at its core.

I remember the Rodney King case in the 90s and have seen many examples of overt racism since. Whilst I think rioting is not the solution, I have little sympathy for institutions that disempower minorities to such an extent that they leave the minorities thinking they have little other outlet to express their outrage.

Donald Trump is a racist. He has no business criticising rioters unless he does something to address the underlying issue that a great many people in the USA sincerely believe black people are inferior and it is right to crush them underfoot. "

Hear hear

I've noticed before that police in America take things to far. They're quick to jump on someone for minor offences.

I don't like to see all the violence and looting which is happening now.. But if I was there I would probably be standing with them.

By *edGrayCouple  over a year ago

Swindon

"We are appalled by the overt, institutional racism on display in the USA. What happens to George Floyd was shocking and the officer who did it is guilty of murder as far as we're concerned (not manslaughter).

Donald Trump is a racist. He has no business criticising rioters unless he does something to address the underlying issue that a great many people in the USA sincerely believe black people are inferior and it is right to crush them underfoot.

Hear hear"

By *innie The MinxWoman  over a year ago

Under the Duvet

If you don't think similar would happen here you won't have heard about the black dad tasered in front of his crying kid at a petrol station here a couple of weeks ago.

It popped up in my news feed and the sound of that distressed kid will haunt me always.

That never would have happened to a white middle class guy, here or there.

The message in 2020 is still if you're black, know your place or the powers that be will stomp you.

Manchester (she/her)

"If you don't think similar would happen here you won't have heard about the black dad tasered in front of his crying kid at a petrol station here a couple of weeks ago.

It popped up in my news feed and the sound of that distressed kid will haunt me always.

The message in 2020 is still if you're black, know your place or the powers that be will stomp you.

"

Yes. I think things are worse in the US, but to say we're better than that is a bit damning with faint praise.

Maybe we should all stand up and fight for all the young white girls in the uk getting abused my Muslim grooming gangs and the press and police covering it up

"Maybe we should all stand up and fight for all the young white girls in the uk getting abused my Muslim grooming gangs and the press and police covering it up "

I'm not sure what this has to do with this thread

There are grooming gangs of all races in the UK.

Its truly awful.

I'm mixed race half black Caribbean half white English and being born in the 70's I have experienced a lot of racism in the Home Counties where I grew up.

Violence towards my family and threats and abuse towards myself.

The hate and prejudice is still there - it isn't often said outloud these days - but it's there.

"If you don't think similar would happen here you won't have heard about the black dad tasered in front of his crying kid at a petrol station here a couple of weeks ago.

"

What absolute rubbish. I’m not going to argue whether he should or should not have been tasered, as I have only seen limited footage- although on the footage I have seen the man is clinging to his child while acting in an aggressive manner towards police, that is easy to see from his non verbal communications.

What do you base your assumption on that he wouldn’t be tasered if he was white?

Oh and he wasn’t exactly innocent of any crime and didn’t seem to care too much about his son when he was drink driving or squaring up to police officers

Manchester (she/her)

"Maybe we should all stand up and fight for all the young white girls in the uk getting abused my Muslim grooming gangs and the press and police covering it up

Its truly awful.

I'm mixed race half black Caribbean half white English and being born in the 70's I have experienced a lot of racism in the Home Counties where I grew up.

The hate and prejudice is still there - it isn't often said outloud these days - but it's there.

"

Agreed. I'm rarely if ever a direct target of racism. But I'm in an odd position, as a white immigrant, sometimes hearing both sides. I'm an immigrant but also not foreign really. So the bigots tell me what they really think and expect me to agree. And I'm privy to conversations about how other immigrants are treated.

The bigotry is not very far beneath the surface.

And "look a minority group did a bad thing" is a repulsive thing to say in this context.

Black people deserve better. We can discuss other issues elsewhere at another time.

Black lives matter.

"Maybe we should all stand up and fight for all the young white girls in the uk getting abused my Muslim grooming gangs and the press and police covering it up

Its truly awful.

Agreed. I'm rarely if ever a direct target of racism. But I'm in an odd position, as a white immigrant, sometimes hearing both sides. I'm an immigrant but also not foreign really. So the bigots tell me what they really think and expect me to agree. And I'm privy to conversations about how other immigrants are treated.

The bigotry is not very far beneath the surface.

And "look a minority group did a bad thing" is a repulsive thing to say in this context.

Black people deserve better. We can discuss other issues elsewhere at another time.

Black lives matter."

" not foreign really "

I just don't have words for comments like that.

Racism is alive and kicking globally.

Manchester (she/her)

"" not foreign really "

I just don't have words for comments like that.

Racism is alive and kicking globally.

"

I think they mean white, English name, culturally similar, and mean it as a compliment, but... it doesn't land that way. It's just gross.

"

I am glad Andy Burnham called a full scale review of what happened in that instance. I felt sickened as I watched it and the sound of his child screaming was deeply disturbing for me.

By *tew008Man  over a year ago

edinburgh

We’re built from institutionally racist establishments. Ideas need and conventions need challenged more. Hopefully policy changes come in the wake of this like in the 60s.

There should never be a situation where someone thinks it is ok to do that to another human and others stand by thinking it’s normal.

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

"

What absolute rubbish. I’m not going to argue whether he should or should not have been tasered, as I have only seen limited footage- although on the footage I have seen the man is clinging to his child while acting in an aggressive manner towards police, that is easy to see from his non verbal communications.

What do you base your assumption on that he wouldn’t be tasered if he was white?

Oh and he wasn’t exactly innocent of any crime and didn’t seem to care too much about his son when he was drink driving or squaring up to police officers "

"I'm not going to argue whether he should have been tasered" - immediately proceeds to argue that it was justified

There was a bit of jostling between the man and the police. Did not seem to me like a situation that needed to be escalated like that.

And it's really not relevant whether he committed a crime. The whole point is that police are not judge and jury to meet out punishment.

There's a thread on here somewhere where everyone is taking the piss out of red indians...... Everyone... all colours....So yes racism is rife, the adverts have Italians as mafia pasta eating doe eyed stereo types... dolmio sauce and the pizza one, that's racism...... Anyone complaining? There is a selective element..... Take the piss out of red Indians Jesus and Italians and it is fine but allah or black people isn't....... I'm not arguing right or wrong I'm saying it is what happens....

Do I agree with killing people of any colour, no, do I agree with arresting a career criminal, yes. Ever held someone down after a fight, they all say it's hurting, let me go now and then attack you again! Bet at the time the cops were shitting it, surrounded in Down town shits ville.....

Anyone watched celebrity SAS, they all shoot the good guy when under pressure!

I think it was a shit situation that the last president, Obama didn't improve either! I'm not making judgements either way, but don't turn the thread into a baying mob without at least considering the situation as a whole, that's all

I really can't get my head round the hate we have for each other that's taught to us by our parents. When I was growing up it was Catholics. By the time we went to high school we had to share a bus with them and I actually believed there was something awful about them, it wasn't till we mixed that I realised it was alot of rubbish. I don't think it's good to have people separated into different communities. There wasn't any ethnic minorites when I was growing up so I can only relate to the protestant and Catholic divide. Best of it was we were never taken to church or taught about religion but the sectarian was brain washed. It's sad and in 2020 we really should be past this sort of behaviour. I never see this in my world world anymore. I thought it was a thing of the past but I must just be mixing with better , civilized people.

By *he Ring WraithMan  over a year ago

Bradford

I totally agree with the sentiments of this thread and the fact that this atrocity should never have happened.

I struggle a little with the 'Black lives matter' banner, and whilst I know why it says that I think maybe there should be an 'All lives matter' banner as well !

Because ALL live do matter !!!!! and that means black white any other colour you want to use and ANY religion or race you wish to add.... ALL live matter to me, and none more than others.

Manchester (she/her)

I think it's less overt in some communities. I think it's something we all still need to combat.

I've seen the "other" change over my life depending on where I live, but it's still always there.

"Maybe we should all stand up and fight for all the young white girls in the uk getting abused my Muslim grooming gangs and the press and police covering it up "

Surely this calls for your own thread?

Ladywell, Lewisham.

"So very true...stand proud mate... "

We are all one & deserve to be seen as such!

Those who think racism isn’t rife today have either not experienced it or they’re ignorant to it.

My earliest experience of racism is a black person was when I was 5 years old. The sooner we come together and unite as a species rather than the colour of our skin, or the religion we follow, or what political side we agree with, the better.

Ladywell, Lewisham.

"Big respect my brother. Black and proud "

Surely this calls for your own thread? "

Think it demonstrates what the guy is saying two posts. Up, all lives matter, when you start saying black lives matter you are excluding and dividing by default and people pick sides.

Manchester (she/her)

Think it demonstrates what the guy is saying two posts. Up, all lives matter, when you start saying black lives matter you are excluding and dividing by default and people pick sides. "

No. No one is saying "only black lives matter". But let's not derail from an important issue causing a crisis right now.

Think it demonstrates what the guy is saying two posts. Up, all lives matter, when you start saying black lives matter you are excluding and dividing by default and people pick sides.

No. No one is saying "only black lives matter". But let's not derail from an important issue causing a crisis right now."

It's a few posts up now and it's what the banners have said that are being waved around on news.

"As a black person I'm standing tall and proud. What happens to George Floyd in America should have never happened. This has been on going issues. Different colours ONE people.I hate individual that tried to Demolished and separate us because of our different colours. "

Good and so you should! Stand tall and be proud of who you are always

I think for racism to even be an issue in this day and age is disgusting and Just goes to show thay at base level we as a species are evolving very very slowly.

I thought as a global society we should be progressive not oppressive...

I personally think hanging is too good for the policemen responsible, aren't the Police meant to serve and protect?? They had a duty of care and failed massively.

By *ilkynmyzzyCouple  over a year ago

Bridlington

We stand shoulder to shoulder on this with you.

By *hubbycheckerMan  over a year ago

Porstmouth

Manchester (she/her)

Can we have a thread about black people and the suffering they go through without derailing to how some minorities are bad to white people sometimes? Is that really too much to ask?!

By *randMrsCambridgeCouple  over a year ago

Stansted (Herts/Essex)

100% agree with you. 100% support BlackLivesMatter. 100% agree with your statement Different colours ONE people

I can tell you that being black and being stopped by the police because ‘there’s been a drug deal in the area and you fit the description’ is still one of the scariest things.

I can tell you that for black people, none of the racist incidents that are being brought to light are shocking. We live this. I am only twenty three and I’ve had so many experiences with racism. It’s almost broken me completely having to accept that this is just my place in the world. I’ve been at the lowest of points because of it. So seeing all of this isn’t new. But it is exhausting.

"Can we have a thread about black people and the suffering they go through without derailing to how some minorities are bad to white people sometimes? Is that really too much to ask?!"

On fab? Yes

Manchester (she/her)

"I can tell you that being black and being stopped by the police because ‘there’s been a drug deal in the area and you fit the description’ is still one of the scariest things.

I can tell you that for black people, none of the racist incidents that are being brought to light are shocking. We live this. I am only twenty three and I’ve had so many experiences with racism. It’s almost broken me completely having to accept that this is just my place in the world. I’ve been at the lowest of points because of it. So seeing all of this isn’t new. But it is exhausting. "

I stand with you.

"I can tell you that being black and being stopped by the police because ‘there’s been a drug deal in the area and you fit the description’ is still one of the scariest things.

I can tell you that for black people, none of the racist incidents that are being brought to light are shocking. We live this. I am only twenty three and I’ve had so many experiences with racism. It’s almost broken me completely having to accept that this is just my place in the world. I’ve been at the lowest of points because of it. So seeing all of this isn’t new. But it is exhausting. "

That is heartbreaking to read, you should not have to just accept that

By *atonMan  over a year ago

barnet

black lives matter is a devicive and insidious organisation that promotes violence. Some perspective is required in this situation and an honest dialogue about race relations. In America the black population accounts for 15 per cent of the population and yet commit over 50 per cent of the crime . In the UK 75 per cent of violent crime in urban areas is committed by blacks.80 per cent of homicides in America are black on black . Whites are twice as likely to be murdered by blacks than blacks by whites. It is a shockingly disproportionate anomaly. Of course the actions of those police officers are disgusting and they should face murder charges. However the problems of the black minority in the US are the result of a propensity toward absent fathers a celebration of guns gangs and violence through an insidious music genre and a culture of victimology . Its this 'blame everything on the white man ' shtick that is stalling the progress of black America. There is lots of research that shows that if two young boys of the same age go to similar schools and achieve the same results go to college ,study hard ,then the same opportunities present themselves to both . I genuinely care and despair for young black men labelled uncle toms for trying to forge a future , for taking personal responsibility .

I can tell you that for black people, none of the racist incidents that are being brought to light are shocking. We live this. I am only twenty three and I’ve had so many experiences with racism. It’s almost broken me completely having to accept that this is just my place in the world. I’ve been at the lowest of points because of it. So seeing all of this isn’t new. But it is exhausting.

I stand with you."

That is heartbreaking to read, you should not have to just accept that

"

[Removed by poster at 01/06/20 17:51:02]

La la land

It isn't right and it's not the environment I want to live in either.

"black lives matter is a devicive and insidious organisation that promotes violence. Some perspective is required in this situation and an honest dialogue about race relations. In America the black population accounts for 15 per cent of the population and yet commit over 50 per cent of the crime . In the UK 75 per cent of violent crime in urban areas is committed by blacks.80 per cent of homicides in America are black on black . Whites are twice as likely to be murdered by blacks than blacks by whites. It is a shockingly disproportionate anomaly. Of course the actions of those police officers are disgusting and they should face murder charges. However the problems of the black minority in the US are the result of a propensity toward absent fathers a celebration of guns gangs and violence through an insidious music genre and a culture of victimology . Its this 'blame everything on the white man ' shtick that is stalling the progress of black America. There is lots of research that shows that if two young boys of the same age go to similar schools and achieve the same results go to college ,study hard ,then the same opportunities present themselves to both . I genuinely care and despair for young black men labelled uncle toms for trying to forge a future , for taking personal responsibility .

"

I've tried to keep quiet on this thread but I need to agree with the above!

Very well said!

By *irtylittletramp100TV/TS  over a year ago

Notts

"black lives matter is a devicive and insidious organisation that promotes violence. Some perspective is required in this situation and an honest dialogue about race relations. In America the black population accounts for 15 per cent of the population and yet commit over 50 per cent of the crime . In the UK 75 per cent of violent crime in urban areas is committed by blacks.80 per cent of homicides in America are black on black . Whites are twice as likely to be murdered by blacks than blacks by whites. It is a shockingly disproportionate anomaly. Of course the actions of those police officers are disgusting and they should face murder charges. However the problems of the black minority in the US are the result of a propensity toward absent fathers a celebration of guns gangs and violence through an insidious music genre and a culture of victimology . Its this 'blame everything on the white man ' shtick that is stalling the progress of black America. There is lots of research that shows that if two young boys of the same age go to similar schools and achieve the same results go to college ,study hard ,then the same opportunities present themselves to both . I genuinely care and despair for young black men labelled uncle toms for trying to forge a future , for taking personal responsibility .

Very well said!"

There are people who try to put forward reason on these threads but most people just want to bang a drum and wave a banner! It's basically bullying and mob rule.... they don't even read the thread just shout a lot and like to think it has proved how righteous they are lol

"

There are so many inaccuracies in this that it would take about a year to go through it all. I will pick up on one. You say that if two boys (one white, one black) go to the same school and achieve the same/similair results, then the same opportunities present themselves to both is factually in correct. The black child is statistically more likely to be passed over for promotion, pay rise etc. This is due to a bais and direct/indirect discrimination. If you take for being prime minister in this country. As a black person you are 64 times unlikely to get the role, even if presented with the same education etc. The point is, for most black people these opportunities are not presented.

barnet

We live in a capitalist society and capatalism doesn't care about ethnicity. I work in local government and there is the bame initiative and I know for a fact that two candidates with equal qualifications its the ethnic guy who will prevail. Even if you are right and equal opportunities are not forthcoming ' strange as the Asian communities never seem to regaiile about lack of opportunity' the narrative your perpetuating leads to young black men never breaking the cycle of resentment and disenfranchisement.

Tempted to start a thread called

"White and proud"

Or

"Straight and proud"

Imagine the outcry? I'd probably get banned from fab for life!

Just for the record, I have nothing against any race. I'm not a lover of religion though.

"black lives matter is a devicive and insidious organisation that promotes violence. Some perspective is required in this situation and an honest dialogue about race relations. In America the black population accounts for 15 per cent of the population and yet commit over 50 per cent of the crime . In the UK 75 per cent of violent crime in urban areas is committed by blacks.80 per cent of homicides in America are black on black . Whites are twice as likely to be murdered by blacks than blacks by whites. It is a shockingly disproportionate anomaly. Of course the actions of those police officers are disgusting and they should face murder charges. However the problems of the black minority in the US are the result of a propensity toward absent fathers a celebration of guns gangs and violence through an insidious music genre and a culture of victimology . Its this 'blame everything on the white man ' shtick that is stalling the progress of black America. There is lots of research that shows that if two young boys of the same age go to similar schools and achieve the same results go to college ,study hard ,then the same opportunities present themselves to both . I genuinely care and despair for young black men labelled uncle toms for trying to forge a future , for taking personal responsibility . "

I just can’t comprehend this level of ignorance on social issues and the intersections of race and class in society, let alone in American society. You know, the place where Jim Crow was only abolished in 1965. After ghettoising black communities for a century, denying them the ability to even sit text to White people, of course you sign a bill and they’re equal. And it’s their fault that they’re not. Racism is the problem. It’s what bully America and it’s what keeps it going. And generally, in societies across the western world that have Black people living there, nearly every single one has historical problems with racism that affect black communities in ways that you clearly can’t comprehend. There’s academics that have written about it. There’s independent inquiries about it. There’s countless evidence. There’s also, ummm... history books. At this point, your opinion formed from your experience which I might add is not as a black person is not only insulting but it pesaos the dangerous myth that it’s Black people’s fault that they suffer across the world. I would offer a conversation in which I might point you in the direction of resources that might help you learn, but I’m so so tired of this shit and I’m so so tired of being gaslit I’ll give it a miss. Good God, what an evil world.

By *affeine DuskMan  over a year ago

Caerphilly

"Tempted to start a thread called

"White and proud"

Or

"Straight and proud"

Just for the record, I have nothing against any race. I'm not a lover of religion though.

"

You can do that if you want.

La la land

"

Went to look at the latest US statistics. I went for your whites are twice as likely to be killed by blacks. If you go on the FBI website and their figures for 2016 are this homicide

Whites total homicides = 3499

Rates of offender

White = 2854

Black = 583

Other = 40

Unknown = 72

Thanks fabbers. But no thanks.

It isn't right and it's not the environment I want to live in either. "

barnet

There is racism institutionalised and subliminal undoubtably. Do we address that by feeding young children a narrative of hate or positivity. Sounds patronising coming from a white dude but as the son of an Irish immigrant as a young apprentice footballer I suffered terrible racist abuse as the only Irish man at the club.My father talked about signs on pub doors no blacks no Irish no dogs.

The Irish went on to build the bloody country.

"White and proud"

Or

"Straight and proud"

"

Do you even know where the ‘black and proud’ comes from? What it is born from? Where things like ‘black is beautiful’ come from? Why they exist?

And then consider where ‘white and proud’ comes from. The white supremacy that it defends. That it justifies. And then, go ahead, do us a favour and do that thread.

Caerphilly

"White and proud"

Or

"Straight and proud"

Do you even know where the ‘black and proud’ comes from? What it is born from? Where things like ‘black is beautiful’ come from? Why they exist?

And then consider where ‘white and proud’ comes from. The white supremacy that it defends. That it justifies. And then, go ahead, do us a favour and do that thread. "

I didn't have time to type it but you always say things better.

There are so many inaccuracies in this that it would take about a year to go through it all. I will pick up on one. You say that if two boys (one white, one black) go to the same school and achieve the same/similair results, then the same opportunities present themselves to both is factually in correct. The black child is statistically more likely to be passed over for promotion, pay rise etc. This is due to a bais and direct/indirect discrimination. If you take for being prime minister in this country. As a black person you are 64 times unlikely to get the role, even if presented with the same education etc. The point is, for most black people these opportunities are not presented. "

We all discriminate when choosing employees. It's a lie to say we don't. I interviewed people and had to score their answers , the highest score should get the job. I had to work with the person being hired. The one that scored the highest, her face didn't fit. The one that giggled through the interview and messed it up ever so slightly got the job . Not on merit but on her bubbly personality and cheery disposition. My co worker and I agreed we would rather look at her face all day than the stuck up sour faced cow that was the better applicant . Or she wasn't the better applicant but she could rhyme off the textbook interview answers like a pro. So discrimination happens whether your black or white. You can both be at the same level academically but character makes a difference. The polish for instance , you would pick over a Brit any day of the week because their reputation as hard workers procedes them. If the choice was between an arrogant self entitled white man and a enthusiastic determined black guy. Who would you pick? Or between a career driven white man and a I'm never going to make it cause I'm black , life's so unfair attitude black man. You would pick differently. Not for the colour of their skin but their character.

By *00STERMan  over a year ago

nearby

"

This was a totally different situation of a d*unk driver who had gone out driving with a child in the car was resisting arrest and had tried to hit one of the officers - the treatment would have been the same for any other offender acting in the same way no matter their race.

"There is racism institutionalised and subliminal undoubtably. Do we address that by feeding young children a narrative of hate or positivity. Sounds patronising coming from a white dude but as the son of an Irish immigrant as a young apprentice footballer I suffered terrible racist abuse as the only Irish man at the club.My father talked about signs on pub doors no blacks no Irish no dogs.

The Irish went on to build the bloody country."

The racism Irish people face and have historically faced is not to be downplayed. It’s also not relevant to bring up right now and seems disingenuous. But I’ll add, you need to read and there’s plenty put academic stuff because you know that’s the stuff I think you’ll respect, on white supremacy and anti blackness and how even Irish people, display and have displayed anti blackness. You should also read about whiteness and consider how Irish people are able to conform to whiteness in ways that, obviously, Black people can not. The fact I have to explain this to adults old enough to be my parents is alarming. Seen as you know, all the young people on fab are stupid

barnet

"There is racism institutionalised and subliminal undoubtably. Do we address that by feeding young children a narrative of hate or positivity. Sounds patronising coming from a white dude but as the son of an Irish immigrant as a young apprentice footballer I suffered terrible racist abuse as the only Irish man at the club.My father talked about signs on pub doors no blacks no Irish no dogs.

The racism Irish people face and have historically faced is not to be downplayed. It’s also not relevant to bring up right now and seems disingenuous. But I’ll add, you need to read and there’s plenty put academic stuff because you know that’s the stuff I think you’ll respect, on white supremacy and anti blackness and how even Irish people, display and have displayed anti blackness. You should also read about whiteness and consider how Irish people are able to conform to whiteness in ways that, obviously, Black people can not. The fact I have to explain this to adults old enough to be my parents is alarming. Seen as you know, all the young people on fab are stupid"

Racism should not be downplayed and then you call me untruthful and imply my experience is not valid. You have to be black to be a victim of racism? The point I made and you missed is that I got on with my life and refused to be identified by a festering resentment as did most irishmen.

barnet

The racism Irish people face and have historically faced is not to be downplayed. It’s also not relevant to bring up right now and seems disingenuous. But I’ll add, you need to read and there’s plenty put academic stuff because you know that’s the stuff I think you’ll respect, on white supremacy and anti blackness and how even Irish people, display and have displayed anti blackness. You should also read about whiteness and consider how Irish people are able to conform to whiteness in ways that, obviously, Black people can not. The fact I have to explain this to adults old enough to be my parents is alarming. Seen as you know, all the young people on fab are stupidRacism should not be downplayed and then you call me untruthful and imply my experience is not valid. You have to be black to be a victim of racism? The point I made and you missed is that I got on with my life and refused to be identified by a festering resentment as did most irishmen."

Thank you for the suggestion I should read more . I will take your advice only not anything you pen.

When the last president of America was black, black judges, black lawyers, black builders, black police.... Claiming your life is shit coz you're black rings hollow..... One of the NFL black players went on record to say, most of the nfl is black thanks to slavery and I don't hear any of them complaining about it lol and I get his point.

yes everyone should be treated equally and some people have advantages, I have seen notes on my employment record that refer to the colour of my skin ..... Being gay wasn't even fucking legal ! You didn't have to actually be a witch to get yourself burnt at the stake! But being a career criminal and getting arrested certainly doesn't strengthen an argument.

Great post.

There are so many inaccuracies in this that it would take about a year to go through it all. I will pick up on one. You say that if two boys (one white, one black) go to the same school and achieve the same/similair results, then the same opportunities present themselves to both is factually in correct. The black child is statistically more likely to be passed over for promotion, pay rise etc. This is due to a bais and direct/indirect discrimination. If you take for being prime minister in this country. As a black person you are 64 times unlikely to get the role, even if presented with the same education etc. The point is, for most black people these opportunities are not presented.

We all discriminate when choosing employees. It's a lie to say we don't. I interviewed people and had to score their answers , the highest score should get the job. I had to work with the person being hired. The one that scored the highest, her face didn't fit. The one that giggled through the interview and messed it up ever so slightly got the job . Not on merit but on her bubbly personality and cheery disposition. My co worker and I agreed we would rather look at her face all day than the stuck up sour faced cow that was the better applicant . Or she wasn't the better applicant but she could rhyme off the textbook interview answers like a pro. So discrimination happens whether your black or white. You can both be at the same level academically but character makes a difference. The polish for instance , you would pick over a Brit any day of the week because their reputation as hard workers procedes them. If the choice was between an arrogant self entitled white man and a enthusiastic determined black guy. Who would you pick? Or between a career driven white man and a I'm never going to make it cause I'm black , life's so unfair attitude black man. You would pick differently. Not for the colour of their skin but their character. "

I think you may have just justified my point. You may not discriminate on colour but there are a number of people who have and do subconsciously or not. I have interviewed a number of people and continue to do so. I work with a number of people across a wide range of disciplines. When you see people of colour, be it black, Asian who are usually over qualified than the person who gets the role, a question must be asked. The amount of times I have sat on on panels and I hear, that persons face wouldn't fit or they are over qualified. To answer your question, I would employ employ the polish worker over the British worker. I would judge them on merit and that alone. If the brisith worker, had better qualifications, better experience all round and scored higher, then I would hire that person. It to easy to say that we all discriminate. Even with all initiatives the statistics will still tell you,disproportionately ethic minorities will still.be overlooked.

I knew the parents of the first lad to get 9 a star a levels, yes 9, he applied to Oxford and they didn't really want him, said lots of our pupils could do that but choose not to, we want someone that is more rounded..... That has other interests....He was white, if he had been black I wonder what people would have said...

Often it's not racism its an incompatibility...... Some people enjoy theme parks others museums....

"

Oh and he wasn’t exactly innocent of any crime and didn’t seem to care too much about his son when he was drink driving or squaring up to police officers

"I'm not going to argue whether he should have been tasered" - immediately proceeds to argue that it was justified

There was a bit of jostling between the man and the police. Did not seem to me like a situation that needed to be escalated like that.

And it's really not relevant whether he committed a crime. The whole point is that police are not judge and jury to meet out punishment. "

Where did I say that use of a taser was justified? Nowhere, because I was not there, have not seen what had happened in the build up to him being tasered or anything else that may have influenced that police officers decision for use of taser.

No, the police are not judge and jury but they have a duty to enforce the law. They believed he had committed a crime.. and he had. The fact remains if he had been compliant he would not have been tasered.

"

And it's really not relevant whether he committed a crime. The whole point is that police are not judge and jury to meet out punishment.

Where did I say that use of a taser was justified? Nowhere, because I was not there, have not seen what had happened in the build up to him being tasered or anything else that may have influenced that police officers decision for use of taser.

No, the police are not judge and jury but they have a duty to enforce the law. They believed he had committed a crime.. and he had. The fact remains if he had been compliant he would not have been tasered."

All the people that don't want the police to get tough with criminals always change their mind when they are the victim!

Ive read this thread through twice and Some of the comments come across as very much like: ‘your problems are of your own making, stop using being black as an excuse, quit moaning and do better‘.

So just put up and shut up?

We all discriminate when choosing employees. It's a lie to say we don't. I interviewed people and had to score their answers , the highest score should get the job. I had to work with the person being hired. The one that scored the highest, her face didn't fit. The one that giggled through the interview and messed it up ever so slightly got the job . Not on merit but on her bubbly personality and cheery disposition. My co worker and I agreed we would rather look at her face all day than the stuck up sour faced cow that was the better applicant . Or she wasn't the better applicant but she could rhyme off the textbook interview answers like a pro. So discrimination happens whether your black or white. You can both be at the same level academically but character makes a difference. The polish for instance , you would pick over a Brit any day of the week because their reputation as hard workers procedes them. If the choice was between an arrogant self entitled white man and a enthusiastic determined black guy. Who would you pick? Or between a career driven white man and a I'm never going to make it cause I'm black , life's so unfair attitude black man. You would pick differently. Not for the colour of their skin but their character.

I think you may have just justified my point. You may not discriminate on colour but there are a number of people who have and do subconsciously or not. I have interviewed a number of people and continue to do so. I work with a number of people across a wide range of disciplines. When you see people of colour, be it black, Asian who are usually over qualified than the person who gets the role, a question must be asked. The amount of times I have sat on on panels and I hear, that persons face wouldn't fit or they are over qualified. To answer your question, I would employ employ the polish worker over the British worker. I would judge them on merit and that alone. If the brisith worker, had better qualifications, better experience all round and scored higher, then I would hire that person. It to easy to say that we all discriminate. Even with all initiatives the statistics will still tell you,disproportionately ethic minorities will still.be overlooked. "

So you would employ the person most qualified for the job even if their demeanor was off and your gut instinct told you they would be a thorn in your side from day one? You are a better person then me.

All the people that don't want the police to get tough with criminals always change their mind when they are the victim!

Never a truer word spoken

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"I totally agree with the sentiments of this thread and the fact that this atrocity should never have happened.

I struggle a little with the 'Black lives matter' banner, and whilst I know why it says that I think maybe there should be an 'All lives matter' banner as well !

Because ALL live do matter !!!!! and that means black white any other colour you want to use and ANY religion or race you wish to add.... ALL live matter to me, and none more than others."

see when people say "all lives matter" i say that you are not getting the point....

its not "black lives matter"..... its black lives matter as well!!!

my mum told me and i am sure that most black parents did, that you have to work harder and be smarter to get to the same point.... that is what is drilled into us...

and i bet that most white people aren't given that "talk" when you get to a certain age.......

whenever people say "well all lives matter" i always then ask "well how many times have you been stopped and searched in your life?" cause i am betting my number is bigger than yours....

Lovely sentiment OP and I was totally with you all the way until you said you "hate", then you lost me completely....

No room in my world for hate or violence, even if the hater thinks it's justified. I think I understand where you're coming from, but words should always be chosen wisely on a sensitive subject to avoid falling into the same mindset as the perps. Rise above and spread the love!

I think you may have just justified my point. You may not discriminate on colour but there are a number of people who have and do subconsciously or not. I have interviewed a number of people and continue to do so. I work with a number of people across a wide range of disciplines. When you see people of colour, be it black, Asian who are usually over qualified than the person who gets the role, a question must be asked. The amount of times I have sat on on panels and I hear, that persons face wouldn't fit or they are over qualified. To answer your question, I would employ employ the polish worker over the British worker. I would judge them on merit and that alone. If the brisith worker, had better qualifications, better experience all round and scored higher, then I would hire that person. It to easy to say that we all discriminate. Even with all initiatives the statistics will still tell you,disproportionately ethic minorities will still.be overlooked.

So you would employ the person most qualified for the job even if their demeanor was off and your gut instinct told you they would be a thorn in your side from day one? You are a better person then me. "

Yes, because they would be the best person for the job. For me, it wouldn't be a popularity contest.

"I totally agree with the sentiments of this thread and the fact that this atrocity should never have happened.

Because ALL live do matter !!!!! and that means black white any other colour you want to use and ANY religion or race you wish to add.... ALL live matter to me, and none more than others.

see when people say "all lives matter" i say that you are not getting the point....

its not "black lives matter"..... its black lives matter as well!!!

my mum told me and i am sure that most black parents did, that you have to work harder and be smarter to get to the same point.... that is what is drilled into us...

and i bet that most white people aren't given that "talk" when you get to a certain age.......

whenever people say "well all lives matter" i always then ask "well how many times have you been stopped and searched in your life?" cause i am betting my number is bigger than yours....

"

I totally get the point, and it is a devisive one, unless you add .... As well ! My gran used to be in service, yes a servant, one day off a month, white trash, you want to get past rich kids you think they are gonna let poor kids off the shit estate in their clubs? I've had racial insults coz I look foreign, had people not serve me in restaurants been arrested numerous times but never actually charged, not white enough, not black enough, not brown enough....in no ones fucking club... boo fucking hoo

This thread is depressing

Anyone who is ' different ' to the majority has felt excluded in some way.

No one walks in anyone elses shoes.

I know that my life would have been and would be different in England if I was white.

It's a fact - it's not a point of view.

I have been passed over for jobs, judged in an unfair way, been spat at and threatened, been excluded from parties as a child and told that I was ugly because of my skin colour at a very young age - it was a neighbour that said it - I was 8 years old.

I could go on and on.

It's not poor me - it's facts.

Manchester (she/her)

"This thread is depressing

I know that my life would have been and would be different in England if I was white.

I have been passed over for jobs, judged in an unfair way, been spat at and threatened, been excluded from parties as a child and told that I was ugly because of my skin colour at a very young age - it was a neighbour that said it - I was 8 years old.

I could go on and on.

"

Solidarity.

There's always somebody worse off than you. Imagine being a ginger kid.

"There's a thread on here somewhere where everyone is taking the piss out of red indians...... Everyone... all colours....So yes racism is rife, the adverts have Italians as mafia pasta eating doe eyed stereo types... dolmio sauce and the pizza one, that's racism...... Anyone complaining? There is a selective element..... Take the piss out of red Indians Jesus and Italians and it is fine but allah or black people isn't....... I'm not arguing right or wrong I'm saying it is what happens....

Do I agree with killing people of any colour, no, do I agree with arresting a career criminal, yes. Ever held someone down after a fight, they all say it's hurting, let me go now and then attack you again! Bet at the time the cops were shitting it, surrounded in Down town shits ville.....

Anyone watched celebrity SAS, they all shoot the good guy when under pressure!

I think it was a shit situation that the last president, Obama didn't improve either! I'm not making judgements either way, but don't turn the thread into a baying mob without at least considering the situation as a whole, that's all "

I wasn't taking the piss out of Native Americans, we were just having a daft carry on film type laugh. I didnt kneel on an unarmed mans neck until he died though. Peace

I could go on and on.

"

Irish are white and ever heard the song, hear come the navis out to earn their pay..... Irish were only allowed to dig canals, then only lay tarmac, Irish born with a shovel in their hand... English man Irish man and a Scotsman walked into a pub jokes with the Irish always the butt of the joke.... Irish fighters and drinkers, way to many boxing champions because they never got to play tennis lol

Ever watched gangs of New York, poor Irish and poor Italians treated like shit...... You seem to have some strange ideas about what it is to be white lol

I could go on and on.

Irish are white and ever heard the song, hear come the navis out to earn their pay..... Irish were only allowed to dig canals, then only lay tarmac, Irish born with a shovel in their hand... English man Irish man and a Scotsman walked into a pub jokes with the Irish always the butt of the joke.... Irish fighters and drinkers, way to many boxing champions because they never got to play tennis lol

Ever watched gangs of New York, poor Irish and poor Italians treated like shit...... You seem to have some strange ideas about what it is to be white lol

"

Yeh but the Irish aren't properly white are they...

I could go on and on.

"

I can only go on my own experiences.

I'm sorry if you felt that you were treated badly too x

I could go on and on.

Yeh but the Irish aren't properly white are they..."

LOL I know you're joking LOL funny, ya wee eedit lol

I could go on and on.

I can only go on my own experiences.

I'm sorry if you felt that you were treated badly too x

"

It's ok, it's not a competition lol people just need some balance, i know your skin colour can make people hate you for no good reason .... But if it's not your skin colour it's something else.... As soon as I dragged myself up the ladder I had people that resented me for dragging myself up the ladder lol I'm sure you know or have learnt that life has never been fair, there is always an Irish man a black man ...... And I've seen it in reverse to, posh kid getting picked on because he No longer goes to posh school... They always find something!

I could go on and on.

"

Nobody is downplaying anti Irish racism. Whiteness excludes even groups of white people from white supremacy. I personally think it’s a bit revisionist to suggest that the experiences of black people globally are comparable to the experience of the Irish. And I also think it’s revisionist of you to talk about the experience of Irish people in America and completely neglect their own participation in anti blackness in order to gain access to whiteness. Racism is not in competition. I don’t see why whenever someone black talks about their experiences with racism, someone has to come along and suggest we don’t have it bad? Or that they, too have it bad? What exactly does that solve? And it’s complete and utter nonsense to suggest that anti blackness, upon which most if not all Western European nations and America were built on, is not still affecting black people today because some laws were passed. All of the drivel being spouted to suggest our experiences are our fault are insulting and show a shallow understanding of how racism and white supremacy operate. It’s far more than someone calling me the N word in the street. It’s deep rooted. It’s not erased by bills and laws. It’s in your thoughts, knowing and unknowingly. Instead of rejecting our experiences, why not stand in solidarity and make effort to actually dismantle white supremacy? Like, genuinely, what would you be losing by supporting that?? It’s genuinely so upsetting seeing some of the things you guys have said on here. Call me a fucking snowflake, I don’t care, but yeah, reading the thoughts some of you have all in response to OPs post and about black people more generally makes it clear where I and many others you interact with in here stand. So thanks for that. A lovely escape from the horrors of racism we have to put up with in the real world, to come in here and see your lovely ignorant rubbish.

"As a black person I'm standing tall and proud. What happens to George Floyd in America should have never happened. This has been on going issues. Different colours ONE people.I hate individual that tried to Demolished and separate us because of our different colours.

I think for racism to even be an issue in this day and age is disgusting and Just goes to show thay at base level we as a species are evolving very very slowly.

I personally think hanging is too good for the policemen responsible, aren't the Police meant to serve and protect?? They had a duty of care and failed massively.

"

So does that mean I can be proud of my white heritage or does that mean I'm racist?

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

"As a black person I'm standing tall and proud. What happens to George Floyd in America should have never happened. This has been on going issues. Different colours ONE people.I hate individual that tried to Demolished and separate us because of our different colours.

So does that mean I can be proud of my white heritage or does that mean I'm racist?"

I don't know if you're racist, but the fact that you want to bring up being proud of being white at a time like this, on a forum topic like this, is pretty suggestive...

So does that mean I can be proud of my white heritage or does that mean I'm racist?

I don't know if you're racist, but the fact that you want to bring up being proud of being white at a time like this, on a forum topic like this, is pretty suggestive... "

it is very suggestive. How else would you bring up a question like that?

[Removed by poster at 01/06/20 22:49:54]

I could go on and on.

Yeh but the Irish aren't properly white are they...

LOL I know you're joking LOL funny, ya wee eedit lol"

Yeh. And what did the signs say in the windows of the lodging houses back in the day?

So does that mean I can be proud of my white heritage or does that mean I'm racist?"

Just out of interest, what do you see as your "white heritage" and why are you proud of it? Genuine question

I could go on and on.

Nobody is downplaying anti Irish racism. Whiteness excludes even groups of white people from white supremacy. I personally think it’s a bit revisionist to suggest that the experiences of black people globally are comparable to the experience of the Irish. And I also think it’s revisionist of you to talk about the experience of Irish people in America and completely neglect their own participation in anti blackness in order to gain access to whiteness. Racism is not in competition. I don’t see why whenever someone black talks about their experiences with racism, someone has to come along and suggest we don’t have it bad? Or that they, too have it bad? What exactly does that solve? And it’s complete and utter nonsense to suggest that anti blackness, upon which most if not all Western European nations and America were built on, is not still affecting black people today because some laws were passed. All of the drivel being spouted to suggest our experiences are our fault are insulting and show a shallow understanding of how racism and white supremacy operate. It’s far more than someone calling me the N word in the street. It’s deep rooted. It’s not erased by bills and laws. It’s in your thoughts, knowing and unknowingly. Instead of rejecting our experiences, why not stand in solidarity and make effort to actually dismantle white supremacy? Like, genuinely, what would you be losing by supporting that?? It’s genuinely so upsetting seeing some of the things you guys have said on here. Call me a fucking snowflake, I don’t care, but yeah, reading the thoughts some of you have all in response to OPs post and about black people more generally makes it clear where I and many others you interact with in here stand. So thanks for that. A lovely escape from the horrors of racism we have to put up with in the real world, to come in here and see your lovely ignorant rubbish. "

You start by saying it's not a competition but then say black people have had it worse.... not comparable lol.

I'm not even going to go through it but fact is slavery and oppression started centuries ago, before racism was even a term, I'm certainly not rejecting your experiences, I don't actually know what experiences you've had, I bet president Obama didn't have many though and he was black not Irish or Chinese or ... but some groups think they own it lol what would I lose by agreeing with the black people have had it so much harder than every other group in history.... Integrity.....

I could go on and on.

Nobody is downplaying anti Irish racism. Whiteness excludes even groups of white people from white supremacy. I personally think it’s a bit revisionist to suggest that the experiences of black people globally are comparable to the experience of the Irish. And I also think it’s revisionist of you to talk about the experience of Irish people in America and completely neglect their own participation in anti blackness in order to gain access to whiteness. Racism is not in competition. I don’t see why whenever someone black talks about their experiences with racism, someone has to come along and suggest we don’t have it bad? Or that they, too have it bad? What exactly does that solve? And it’s complete and utter nonsense to suggest that anti blackness, upon which most if not all Western European nations and America were built on, is not still affecting black people today because some laws were passed. All of the drivel being spouted to suggest our experiences are our fault are insulting and show a shallow understanding of how racism and white supremacy operate. It’s far more than someone calling me the N word in the street. It’s deep rooted. It’s not erased by bills and laws. It’s in your thoughts, knowing and unknowingly. Instead of rejecting our experiences, why not stand in solidarity and make effort to actually dismantle white supremacy? Like, genuinely, what would you be losing by supporting that?? It’s genuinely so upsetting seeing some of the things you guys have said on here. Call me a fucking snowflake, I don’t care, but yeah, reading the thoughts some of you have all in response to OPs post and about black people more generally makes it clear where I and many others you interact with in here stand. So thanks for that. A lovely escape from the horrors of racism we have to put up with in the real world, to come in here and see your lovely ignorant rubbish.

You start by saying it's not a competition but then say black people have had it worse.... not comparable lol.

I'm not even going to go through it but fact is slavery and oppression started centuries ago, before racism was even a term, I'm certainly not rejecting your experiences, I don't actually know what experiences you've had, I bet president Obama didn't have many though and he was black not Irish or Chinese or ... but some groups think they own it lol what would I lose by agreeing with the black people have had it so much harder than every other group in history.... Integrity.....

"

I think you've missed the point of what Steve is saying there but carry on...

Manchester (she/her)

Oh my.

"Oh my. "

Innit...

It’s ok to protest against the police but let’s be honest most are not particularly interested they just want to cause trouble loot shops etc

By *iamondCougarWoman  over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

I hear you OP and be proud to stand up you should be too

I often find myself uttering the words ‘ it could only happen in the USA’ .... that country appals me on every level. Please don’t let what’s happening in their country overspill into ours... we can stand up for rights without being lead by their disgraceful violent rioting

"It’s ok to protest against the police but let’s be honest most are not particularly interested they just want to cause trouble loot shops etc "

Do they though?

My family is Jewish and I am half Nigerian. A history of slavery is not just limited to my African heritage, but to my family's heritage also. A major political party in the UK, Labour, still have many members under investigation for antisemitism by the European Court of Human Rights. Yes, racism still goes that high in the UK.

"My family is Jewish and I am half Nigerian. A history of slavery is not just limited to my African heritage, but to my family's heritage also. A major political party in the UK, Labour, still have many members under investigation for antisemitism by the European Court of Human Rights. Yes, racism still goes that high in the UK."

And many of those sitting in the house of lords families made their vast fortunes from slavery

Racism is deeply embedded in British culture. Discuss...

By *tew008Man  over a year ago

edinburgh

"It’s ok to protest against the police but let’s be honest most are not particularly interested they just want to cause trouble loot shops etc

Do they though?"

maybe or it maybe frustration with an establishment that allows hate and segregation to flourish. For political gain or profits.

"My family is Jewish and I am half Nigerian. A history of slavery is not just limited to my African heritage, but to my family's heritage also. A major political party in the UK, Labour, still have many members under investigation for antisemitism by the European Court of Human Rights. Yes, racism still goes that high in the UK.

And many of those sitting in the house of lords families made their vast fortunes from slavery"

What exactly do you mean by this?

"My family is Jewish and I am half Nigerian. A history of slavery is not just limited to my African heritage, but to my family's heritage also. A major political party in the UK, Labour, still have many members under investigation for antisemitism by the European Court of Human Rights. Yes, racism still goes that high in the UK."

Exactly.... the events in USA are tragic, we should stand united, not kill people, not burn towns down and try and love each other a bit more!

"My family is Jewish and I am half Nigerian. A history of slavery is not just limited to my African heritage, but to my family's heritage also. A major political party in the UK, Labour, still have many members under investigation for antisemitism by the European Court of Human Rights. Yes, racism still goes that high in the UK.

And many of those sitting in the house of lords families made their vast fortunes from slavery

What exactly do you mean by this?"

Im just stating a fact of history. I was agreeing with you

Im just stating a fact of history. I was agreeing with you"

Oh, ok. I was not sure whether you meant their fortunes came from Jewish slavery or black slavery.

Im just stating a fact of history. I was agreeing with you

Oh, ok. I was not sure whether you meant their fortunes came from Jewish slavery or black slavery."

That and robbing India and South Africa...

Looking at the footage of looters running from the sports shop with air max trainers and timberland boots I got the feeling they had no interest in their dead black brother!

And I acknowledge my white privilege, and understand my position of privilege has nothing to do with my life struggles, it has more to do with the fact that I will be treated better during a police stop than a black person, I am not racially profiled before I've even had a chance to open my mouth and give an explanation. Im less likely to loose my life at the hands of the police.... #blacklivesmatter does not mean other lives don't, it means right now we need to shout louder for their lives and fair treatment because they are not treated fairly

Manchester (she/her)

"And I acknowledge my white privilege, and understand my position of privilege has nothing to do with my life struggles, it has more to do with the fact that I will be treated better during a police stop than a black person, I am not racially profiled before I've even had a chance to open my mouth and give an explanation. Im less likely to loose my life at the hands of the police.... #blacklivesmatter does not mean other lives don't, it means right now we need to shout louder for their lives and fair treatment because they are not treated fairly "

Yes. Hear hear.

I have struggles. I don't have those struggles. And I support black people in trying to overcome the systemic oppression they face.

I also support other causes, but this is not the place.

Black lives matter.

By *asmeenTV/TS  over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

STOKE ON TRENT

"And I acknowledge my white privilege, and understand my position of privilege has nothing to do with my life struggles, it has more to do with the fact that I will be treated better during a police stop than a black person, I am not racially profiled before I've even had a chance to open my mouth and give an explanation. Im less likely to loose my life at the hands of the police.... #blacklivesmatter does not mean other lives don't, it means right now we need to shout louder for their lives and fair treatment because they are not treated fairly

Yes. Hear hear.

I have struggles. I don't have those struggles. And I support black people in trying to overcome the systemic oppression they face.

Black lives matter."

All lives matter.

"And I acknowledge my white privilege, and understand my position of privilege has nothing to do with my life struggles, it has more to do with the fact that I will be treated better during a police stop than a black person, I am not racially profiled before I've even had a chance to open my mouth and give an explanation. Im less likely to loose my life at the hands of the police.... #blacklivesmatter does not mean other lives don't, it means right now we need to shout louder for their lives and fair treatment because they are not treated fairly

Yes. Hear hear.

Black lives matter.

All lives matter."

I think I addressed that

STOKE ON TRENT

Yes. Hear hear.

Black lives matter.

All lives matter.

I think I addressed that "

I didn't see what you say?

Yes. Hear hear.

Black lives matter.

All lives matter.

I think I addressed that

I didn't see what you say?"

#blacklivesmatter does not mean other lives don't, it means right now we need to shout louder for their lives and fair treatment because they are not treated fairly

STOKE ON TRENT

Yes. Hear hear.

Black lives matter.

All lives matter.

I think I addressed that

I didn't see what you say?

#blacklivesmatter does not mean other lives don't, it means right now we need to shout louder for their lives and fair treatment because they are not treated fairly

"

Manchester (she/her)

Yes. Hear hear.

Black lives matter.

All lives matter."

"All lives matter" is often used to derail the conversation to support and fight for black people.

Black lives matter.

STOKE ON TRENT

Yes. Hear hear.

Black lives matter.

All lives matter.

"All lives matter" is often used to derail the conversation to support and fight for black people.

Black lives matter."

Think it demonstrates what the guy is saying two posts. Up, all lives matter, when you start saying black lives matter you are excluding and dividing by default and people pick sides. "

Disagree.

“Black Lives Matter” means “Black Lives Matter Too” not “Only Black Lives Matter”.

People really need to understand that.

"I genuinely care and despair for young black men labelled uncle toms for trying to forge a future , for taking personal responsibility .

"

You care so much you’ve just derailed a thread about being proud and made it about crime in the black community.

Everything you’ve said is easily accessible online. We black folk hear it every single day, I’m not sure what change you were hoping to make by posting it.

STOKE ON TRENT

Maybe get your facts right it's not just Muslim gangs

Very well said!"

What is it you wanted to “keep quiet” about?

What part of this thread bothers you?

Maybe get your facts right it's not just Muslim gangs"

Exactly great comment

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Respect and equality for all

It truly amazes me that someone being proud of the skin they’re in, or someone talking about the racism they have faced can offend a few people and make them derail a thread to make it about them, their race or similar.

The way I see it is, if you don’t have a problem with black people, racism, people telling their experience or similar, you wouldn’t post negatively on this thread especially in current times.

I wouldn’t dream of posting “What about me” or the like into a thread about someone being proud they’re English, or white, it wouldn’t even cross my mind because I expect people to be proud of who they are and I’d be happy that they are.

Those who don’t want others to be proud of who they are, are the ones objecting to this thread and derailing it into something else.

Love who you are and your culture.

Manchester (she/her)

"It truly amazes me that someone being proud of the skin they’re in, or someone talking about the racism they have faced can offend a few people and make them derail a thread to make it about them, their race or similar.

The way I see it is, if you don’t have a problem with black people, racism, people telling their experience or similar, you wouldn’t post negatively on this thread especially in current times.

I wouldn’t dream of posting “What about me” or the like into a thread about someone being proud they’re English, or white, it wouldn’t even cross my mind because I expect people to be proud of who they are and I’d be happy that they are.

Those who don’t want others to be proud of who they are, are the ones objecting to this thread and derailing it into something else.

Love who you are and your culture. "

By *artinbobMan  over a year ago

Leicester

I’m a factually a white person. But I stand shoulder to should with my fellow black humans not only at this time but always and forever xx

Racism has clearly come a long way over the years. Granted its still there and it probably always will be. It doesn't matter how many protests, laws or posts are created on fab, it will never fully stop.

Heartbreaking, it really effected me but sadly not the first but hope to be the last but so much unnecessary hatred in the world. You must really hate yourself to hate another so much for no reason but the colour of their skin

Reading through a lot of these posts suggests only white people are racist.

"Reading through a lot of these posts suggests only white people are racist. "

Which posts in particular suggest that?

"Racism has clearly come a long way over the years. Granted its still there and it probably always will be. It doesn't matter how many protests, laws or posts are created on fab, it will never fully stop. "

Did you start the “white & proud” thread?

I hope you do & I hope it doesn’t get derailed like this one.

By *lay 4 uMan  over a year ago

bolton

Andy Burnham would call for anything if he thinks it proves is image. He's a waste of time even the labour party chose corbin over him.

We all discriminate when choosing employees. It's a lie to say we don't. I interviewed people and had to score their answers , the highest score should get the job. I had to work with the person being hired. The one that scored the highest, her face didn't fit. The one that giggled through the interview and messed it up ever so slightly got the job . Not on merit but on her bubbly personality and cheery disposition. My co worker and I agreed we would rather look at her face all day than the stuck up sour faced cow that was the better applicant . Or she wasn't the better applicant but she could rhyme off the textbook interview answers like a pro. So discrimination happens whether your black or white. You can both be at the same level academically but character makes a difference. The polish for instance , you would pick over a Brit any day of the week because their reputation as hard workers procedes them. If the choice was between an arrogant self entitled white man and a enthusiastic determined black guy. Who would you pick? Or between a career driven white man and a I'm never going to make it cause I'm black , life's so unfair attitude black man. You would pick differently. Not for the colour of their skin but their character. "

100% this!

I've interviewed 100s of people in my career and once your at the interview shortlist stage it always invariably comes down to the person's character!

Are they a good fit for this team ETC. Ethnicity, religion, gender just doesn't come into it. Certainly not for me and for any of the other interviewers I've worked alongside.

KJ x Mr

So you would employ the person most qualified for the job even if their demeanor was off and your gut instinct told you they would be a thorn in your side from day one? You are a better person then me.

Yes, because they would be the best person for the job. For me, it wouldn't be a popularity contest. "

Part of been the best person for the job can also be linked to how they will fit into an established team with various characters. A good manager would hire the person who would fit best into his team and hopefully ensures everyone within the team benifits from the new member joining. Therefore Character and personality are very important.

KJ x

Ladywell, Lewisham.

"Heartbreaking, it really effected me but sadly not the first but hope to be the last but so much unnecessary hatred in the world. You must really hate yourself to hate another so much for no reason but the colour of their skin "

Very well said!

What part of this thread bothers you?"

These messages were sent from someone living in USA.

We should be united because a man was killed on camera by another man sworn to serve, protect and uphold the law. Not because he was black but because it was wrong.

This behaviour doesn't help anyone. If anything it takes the the solidarity we feel as equal human beings and makes us think less of the black community. All black people aren't like that, just some. But they all get tarred with the same brush. Same with Muslims and Isis , same with the Irish and the IRA.

By doing this they are creating a bigger divide and taking the progress made over the years regress back. You can't move forward in a civilized society by behaving like you belong to a third word country.

[02/06, 10:39] : Trump announced yesterday that he might start this one law brings in a real army to stop these people. In Kansas City here They have been using Tear gas and smoke bombs because people are throwing bricks, Rocks and frozen water bottles at the police

[02/06, 10:39] : Sunday night they Burnt two of the local TV stations big vehicles stole The equipment. Friday night and Saturday night with Burt police cars and started fires in business that are Black owned business

[02/06, 10:39] : The brother of the man that got killed, it was on the news yesterday asking them to stop the rioting, protest is fine but stop the rioting and all the damage

[02/06, 10:39] : The people they are arresting they are finding out, like the ones in Kansas City are not from here. They’re from Chicago, New York. They are part of a Militia group, and groups

Disagree.

“Black Lives Matter” means “Black Lives Matter Too” not “Only Black Lives Matter”.

People really need to understand that. "

Free car parking = all lives matter, we all know all lives matter and we don't expect different parking rules for different cars

Free parking for fords = black lives matter. Everyone would complain if the sign said free parking for fords and didn't include the others. You would and don't deny it.

But don't change tack, keep shouting and banging and moaning how others just don't get it, coz we all enjoy being patronised and told how stupid we are and how ALL people of a certain colour had it easy..... As if that isn't a lie and racist in itself lol

Very well said!

Agree!

What part of this thread bothers you?

These messages were sent from someone living in USA.

We should be united because a man was killed on camera by another man sworn to serve, protect and uphold the law. Not because he was black but because it was wrong.

This behaviour doesn't help anyone. If anything it takes the the solidarity we feel as equal human beings and makes us think less of the black community. All black people aren't like that, just some. But they all get tarred with the same brush. Same with Muslims and Isis , same with the Irish and the IRA.

By doing this they are creating a bigger divide and taking the progress made over the years regress back. You can't move forward in a civilized society by behaving like you belong to a third word country.

[02/06, 10:39] : Trump announced yesterday that he might start this one law brings in a real army to stop these people. In Kansas City here They have been using Tear gas and smoke bombs because people are throwing bricks, Rocks and frozen water bottles at the police

[02/06, 10:39] : Sunday night they Burnt two of the local TV stations big vehicles stole The equipment. Friday night and Saturday night with Burt police cars and started fires in business that are Black owned business

[02/06, 10:39] : The brother of the man that got killed, it was on the news yesterday asking them to stop the rioting, protest is fine but stop the rioting and all the damage

[02/06, 10:39] : The people they are arresting they are finding out, like the ones in Kansas City are not from here. They’re from Chicago, New York. They are part of a Militia group, and groups

"

Agree!

"

100% this!

I've interviewed 100s of people in my career and once your at the interview shortlist stage it always invariably comes down to the person's character!

Are they a good fit for this team ETC. Ethnicity, religion, gender just doesn't come into it. Certainly not for me and for any of the other interviewers I've worked alongside.

KJ x Mr"

This may be true for you and the majority of people.

But there are companies/establishments that aren’t like that.

I remember reading (can’t remember what site but I’ll find it) about someone who changed their name to an English name and got an interview, from the same establishment they had applied with their real name previously.

It does happen, but it will never be in your face.

Disagree.

Free car parking = all lives matter, we all know all lives matter and we don't expect different parking rules for different cars

Free parking for fords = black lives matter. Everyone would complain if the sign said free parking for fords and didn't include the others. You would and don't deny it.

But don't change tack, keep shouting and banging and moaning how others just don't get it, coz we all enjoy being patronised and told how stupid we are and how ALL people of a certain colour had it easy..... As if that isn't a lie and racist in itself lol

"

You don’t get it though.

Blue badge holders get free parking in some places, I don’t see people complaining, I certainly wouldn’t.

NHS workers get Blue Light Cards & currently get priority in supermarkets, I don’t see people complaining.

You don’t shout “All cancers matter” to someone campaigning about Breast Cancer Awarness.

You don’t shout “All animals matter”

When people say “Save the whales”

You don’t shout “All houses matter” when only one in the street is on fire and needs help.

That’s the point. Nobody says “Only black lives matter” some people assume that’s what it means.

Disagree.

You don’t get it though.

Blue badge holders get free parking in some places, I don’t see people complaining, I certainly wouldn’t.

NHS workers get Blue Light Cards & currently get priority in supermarkets, I don’t see people complaining.

You don’t shout “All cancers matter” to someone campaigning about Breast Cancer Awarness.

You don’t shout “All houses matter” when only one in the street is on fire and needs help.

That’s the point. Nobody says “Only black lives matter” some people assume that’s what it means. "

Very eloquently said

Disagree.

You don’t get it though.

That’s the point. Nobody says “Only black lives matter” some people assume that’s what it means. "

really! Lol read the whole thread top to bottom and not just the bits you want to.....

Cancer funding for example is separated because one area needs attention but it benefits everyone as a whole...... Not just one group..... If there was a cancer charity just for short people and tall people couldn't access it, there would be an issue!

By *tephTV67TV/TS  over a year ago

Cheshire

Disagree.

You don’t get it though.

Perfectly put and argued.

Unfortunately wasted on some, they don’t get it and never will.

It appals me that looters and criminals in most american cities are doing what they are doing as some justice for that poor man George Floyd .

What has happened to the world in 2020......sad times indeed

" It appals me that looters and criminals in most american cities are doing what they are doing as some justice for that poor man George Floyd .

What has happened to the world in 2020......sad times indeed

Or maybe they're thinking "if I can sell a new telly on ebay I'll be able to feed my kids this week..."

"

By *riskynriskyCouple  over a year ago

Essex.

"

So a father who is willing to drink drive with no insurance becomes violent when stopped in front of his child is tasered because of his race...

Ok you keep believing that...

Caerphilly

Disagree.

You don’t get it though.

Perfect.

By *CDecauxMan  over a year ago

Caerphilly

Well, reading through this has shown me which people need to be blocked out from my timeline and ever being able to come into contact with me.

If you’re not outraged by the racism being shown all over the world at this precise moment in time, then you are racist.

It’s not enough to sit in silence right now, we need to stand up and support those who are being oppressed due to the colour of their skin.

#BlackLivesMatter

"Well, reading through this has shown me which people need to be blocked out from my timeline and ever being able to come into contact with me.

If you’re not outraged by the racism being shown all over the world at this precise moment in time, then you are racist.

It’s not enough to sit in silence right now, we need to stand up and support those who are being oppressed due to the colour of their skin.

#BlackLivesMatter "

Kinda diluting the term racist there fella, and I don't think that's helpful so I don't agree. But feel free to block me and live in a bubble and enjoy your day

Manchester (she/her)

It's a hideous indictment that a thread about a black person standing proud as a black person has turned into... this.

This is not intended as a justification of looting, ideally it would not be happening. But you wanna know what can happen and HAS BEEN happening? Businesses have been setting up go fund me pages and have exceeded their targets to be able to rebuild. Do you know what you can’t do? Bring back Eric Garner. Or Trayvon Martin. Or Sandra Bland. Or Philando Castille. Or Breonna Taylor. Or George Floyd. You can’t rebuild their lives and give them back to their families. The best way to stop everything that’s going on is to provide justice, always for black families that suffer through this disproportionately and that are let down by the justice systems across the world that protect these people. And to do that NOW.

By *riskynriskyCouple  over a year ago

Essex.

"It's a hideous indictment that a thread about a black person standing proud as a black person has turned into... this."

There's a lot on this thread I disagree with from both sides of the argument but agree with this.

Everyone should be proud of who they are and not be ashamed or shamed...

Manchester (she/her)

"This is not intended as a justification of looting, ideally it would not be happening. But you wanna know what can happen and HAS BEEN happening? Businesses have been setting up go fund me pages and have exceeded their targets to be able to rebuild. Do you know what you can’t do? Bring back Eric Garner. Or Trayvon Martin. Or Sandra Bland. Or Philando Castille. Or Breonna Taylor. Or George Floyd. You can’t rebuild their lives and give them back to their families. The best way to stop everything that’s going on is to provide justice, always for black families that suffer through this disproportionately and that are let down by the justice systems across the world that protect these people. And to do that NOW. "

Trayvon Martin was just buying some fucking Skittles. Skittles

"This is not intended as a justification of looting, ideally it would not be happening. But you wanna know what can happen and HAS BEEN happening? Businesses have been setting up go fund me pages and have exceeded their targets to be able to rebuild. Do you know what you can’t do? Bring back Eric Garner. Or Trayvon Martin. Or Sandra Bland. Or Philando Castille. Or Breonna Taylor. Or George Floyd. You can’t rebuild their lives and give them back to their families. The best way to stop everything that’s going on is to provide justice, always for black families that suffer through this disproportionately and that are let down by the justice systems across the world that protect these people. And to do that NOW.

Trayvon Martin was just buying some fucking Skittles. Skittles "

"It's a hideous indictment that a thread about a black person standing proud as a black person has turned into... this.

There's a lot on this thread I disagree with from both sides of the argument but agree with this.

Everyone should be proud of who they are and not be ashamed or shamed..."

Hurray, at last some balance and not just screaming a slogan. What i will say is the USA has just had a black president and if he couldn't sort it I'd suggest it's more complex than most want to accept. By the way I agree with your post.

By *etite_delightWoman  over a year ago

BunnyLand

By *laqgrapeMan  over a year ago

Sanderstead

God bless....Emitt Till we remember you too ...Good will overcome evil.

barnet

"I genuinely care and despair for young black men labelled uncle toms for trying to forge a future , for taking personal responsibility .

My motivation is for the black community to make an honest appraisal of there obvious problems , to address those problems . Absent fathers disproportionate criminal activity . The celebration of violence ..Young kids weaned on rap grime . Pure poison ..subliminal degradation of the human condition. All not exclusively the problems of just the black community but certainly overly prevalent. Are those undeniable problems the result of slavery ..an awful blight on human history by the way , or the obvious discrimination that still exists? If that is the case then does that entirely mitigate behaviour patterns ?

You care so much you’ve just derailed a thread about being proud and made it about crime in the black community.

Everything you’ve said is easily accessible online. We black folk hear it every single day, I’m not sure what change you were hoping to make by posting it. "

By *oir enigmaMan  over a year ago

Leeds

There is always one idiot out of the many. And this one just came out of the shadows. Well hardly coming out more like crawling. This post has nothing to do with comparing one evil from the other. Start your own post. Dont ride on other people's ideas and hurt

Newcastle and Gateshead

"This is not intended as a justification of looting, ideally it would not be happening. But you wanna know what can happen and HAS BEEN happening? Businesses have been setting up go fund me pages and have exceeded their targets to be able to rebuild. Do you know what you can’t do? Bring back Eric Garner. Or Trayvon Martin. Or Sandra Bland. Or Philando Castille. Or Breonna Taylor. Or George Floyd. You can’t rebuild their lives and give them back to their families. The best way to stop everything that’s going on is to provide justice, always for black families that suffer through this disproportionately and that are let down by the justice systems across the world that protect these people. And to do that NOW.

Trayvon Martin was just buying some fucking Skittles. Skittles "

or Oscar Grant... Or michael brown.... Or Laquan Mcdonald.... Or Tamir Rice, .... or Kelly Thomas..... or Walter Scott.... or Freddie Gray.....

Manchester (she/her)

Trayvon Martin was just buying some fucking Skittles. Skittles

or Oscar Grant... Or michael brown.... Or Laquan Mcdonald.... Or Tamir Rice, .... or Kelly Thomas..... or Walter Scott.... or Freddie Gray....."

STOKE ON TRENT

There is always one idiot out of the many. And this one just came out of the shadows. Well hardly coming out more like crawling. This post has nothing to do with comparing one evil from the other. Start your own post. Dont ride on other people's ideas and hurt "

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I checked stats for death in custody/arrest in U.S.

The majority that die in custody ( according to the stats ) are white.

I read that the knee on neck move is legal in some states.

I read that the deceased was not long out of prison for armed entry into a residential premises.

I read that he was passing counterfeit money when arrested.

I read that the 'officer' who arrested him worked on the same club door as the deceased as 'bouncers' ...

I read that the officer was known to be 'jumpy' spraying pepper spray at the least provocation etc .....

I can't swear that all I read is true but it does seem that there are many factors to be considered here.

Was it racially motivated ? I'm not sure yet.

Was the knee on neck necessary ? 100 % not for the length of time stated in reports.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Other stats show how many officers get killed.

Maybe if we didn't divide humans into races and genders and fighting individual battles, we'd have more of a chance of seeing behind the veil and fight one battle.......

"I checked stats for death in custody/arrest in U.S.

The majority that die in custody ( according to the stats ) are white.

I read that the knee on neck move is legal in some states.

I read that the deceased was not long out of prison for armed entry into a residential premises.

I read that he was passing counterfeit money when arrested.

I read that the 'officer' who arrested him worked on the same club door as the deceased as 'bouncers' ...

I read that the officer was known to be 'jumpy' spraying pepper spray at the least provocation etc .....

I can't swear that all I read is true but it does seem that there are many factors to be considered here.

Was it racially motivated ? I'm not sure yet.

Was the knee on neck necessary ? 100 % not for the length of time stated in reports.

"

Based on street camera footage of him leaving the store and of the phone recording George Floyd did not resist arrest. But we know what incident followed. I appreciate people seem apprehensive to call this incident racist. But the racist element does not have to be limited to whether the murderer was an extremist. Of course racism is far more nuanced than that. White supremacy continues exist because racism and racists don’t only take the form of extremist KKK members. But what is seemingly clear is that black people, globally, are treated by the police as if we are an instant and inherent threat. It’s why I’ve been stopped multiple times and why I’m none times more likely to be stopped than a white man. It’s why if you’re black in America, encounters with the police are more likely to lead to police brutality and more likely to result in your death. Whether said officer is a lovely person that hates Trump and has never said the N word a single day in their life, whether they went out intending to kill black people, is not why it’s highlighted as a race issue. It’s difficult to prove that. But we know that the criminalisation of black people, not just black men and boys, but black people, is something that leads to our death disproportionately.

"Other stats show how many officers get killed.

Maybe if we didn't divide humans into races and genders and fighting individual battles, we'd have more of a chance of seeing behind the veil and fight one battle....... "

Unfortunately white supremacy has pretty much built almost every country in the west and our races mean almost everything now. Similarly with gender of course.

You gotta love the way all the white people tell all the black people how racism works...

"You gotta love the way all the white people tell all the black people how racism works..."

Bloody hell Dan, you’d think White people would understand something that they made, right?!

"You gotta love the way all the white people tell all the black people how racism works...

Bloody hell Dan, you’d think White people would understand something that they made, right?! "

I dunno bud, we also invented the automobile and the television and I'm fucked if I know how they work...

Newcastle and Gateshead

"You gotta love the way all the white people tell all the black people how racism works...

Bloody hell Dan, you’d think White people would understand something that they made, right?! "

i am surprised you are still fighting the good fight... i had to come off this afternoon cause i know i would have said something that would have gotten me "5 days off"....

maybe in the next thread we, as black people, should just put up a list of all the phrases that will just "trigger us"... so people know not to use them!!!! or we know who is just doing it to troll....

By *inkywife1981Couple  over a year ago

A town near you

I'm a white guy and made the mistake of showing a bit of attitude to US cops after I had a few beverages.

Let's just say I wont be making that mistake again.

My American cousins told me that I was lucky, they said they dont f_ck around. If they tell you something you comply 100%.

I was also told that the most dangerous family in New York is not any of the 5 Italian families but the NYPD!

By *ljamMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"You gotta love the way all the white people tell all the black people how racism works..."

#whitesplaining