FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > White ink tattoos

White ink tattoos

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *DreamOfGenie OP   Woman  over a year ago

London

On the offchance that someone here might be a tattoo artist or have a white ink tattoo!

I'm thinking of getting one of a sunflower on my shoulder as a tribute to a relative who has passed away - I love the idea of it being almost invisible in Winter and 'blooming' in Summer when my skin tans.

Is that realistically how it would show? Are white inks safe? Do they stay bright? More painful than black? (I've heard they have to go deeper in the skin)

Any insight would be appreciated!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *etite_delightWoman  over a year ago

BunnyLand

I’m not a tattoo artist so leaving details to them but ink being painful is nonsense or some needs to go deeper and some not!

It’s a case of how many needles they need to use to make it visible on your skin or shading in a sense.

I have white ink and it does slightly blends with your skin yes! if you protect it during getting a tan, it may show off as well.

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I'm no expert but I don't think tattoos work like that.

Pale skin shows off all ink better, whilst dark skin needs darker ink.

I'm not sure that white on it's own would work at all, unless is some special formula.

By *ickygirl41Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

It does work and becomes more visible if you get a tan.

By *quaman87Man  over a year ago

ramsey

Its visible more the darker your skin is sometimes may need re doing as its a light colour and fades when healed and after time same as black ink!

By *ickygirl41Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

However if you have naturally dark skin it goes pretty fast and on pale skin it fades but more slowly.

By *ankie303Woman  over a year ago

Weirdsville South Coast Dorset

I haven't got white line tattoos but do have some with white in. Didn't notice the white feeling any different to any other tattoo being done. The teeth on my Cheshire cat do show more in the summer when I'm tanned tho

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The main issue with white ink is the unpredictability, it can heal and appear a different hue, It’s also not good for line work.

I’d speak to various artists first and see if any would actually be willing to do it, you’ll probably struggle to find one.

The pigment sits under the skin and so the skin above the white ink will tan. Scarification works how you describe but not white ink tattoos.

A lot of guesswork in this thread and much is incorrect, white ink does not work better on darker skin, for darker skin the main difference is that there should be less detail and higher contrast or the art won’t be legible. I tend to recommend blackwork for really dark skin with lots of skin breaks. Hope this helps x

By *quaman87Man  over a year ago

ramsey

"The main issue with white ink is the unpredictability, it can heal and appear a different hue, It’s also not good for line work.

I’d speak to various artists first and see if any would actually be willing to do it, you’ll probably struggle to find one. "

nail on the head! Its used more for colour and shading in areas that requires it! Its not a sort after colour

Nope it’s use more to add hilights where necessary and not big areas

Aw I’m unsure OP (I’d love a white tattoo) but sounds lovely xx

I know one thing (have covered alot of my own skin in tattoos) the white lining always seems to hurt more than the other parts of the tattoo

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I have just done a bit of online research, and would suggest anyone considering a white tattoo does too.

These are not done with traditional tattoo ink, so tend to be raised. They often give a scar effect and are rarely white when fully healed.

Apparently even the best tattoo artists hate doing them, due to the huge potential of it not looking how the recipient expected.

By *attooBBWWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

White always fades out yellowy. It very much depends on your skin tone as to how it will look - you also can’t compare white highlight in normal tats to white line tats - it doesn’t look anything like it!

As for pain, it’s going to hurt. Colour doesn’t make a difference, needle types will. Some people find outlines more painful, others hate shading. It also depends hugely on your artists, some are gentle, others are brutal.

Do your homework, if it comes down to a budget, under no circumstances choose the cheapest! If you want some neat, lasting line work you need a good artist. They’ll also be able to advise on the suitability of white on your skin tone.

Pe this helps - as my name suggests, I’m a collector and fan!

By *attooBBWWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"I know one thing (have covered alot of my own skin in tattoos) the white lining always seems to hurt more than the other parts of the tattoo "

That’s because it’s always the last thing they do and going over freshly scarred, raw skin!

By *heaspieswingerMan  over a year ago

Peak District

"On the offchance that someone here might be a tattoo artist or have a white ink tattoo!

I'm thinking of getting one of a sunflower on my shoulder as a tribute to a relative who has passed away - I love the idea of it being almost invisible in Winter and 'blooming' in Summer when my skin tans.

Is that realistically how it would show? Are white inks safe? Do they stay bright? More painful than black? (I've heard they have to go deeper in the skin)

"

We know someone who has a white ink tattoo. It kind of looks like a very weird (because it’s obviously intentional) pale scar, if that makes any sense? Like “Oh, what’s that scar? Oh hang in, it’s a tattoo!”

One of Mr HPC’s tattoos has white ink for the highlights. It looks pretty good, and despite what loads of people say happens, it hasn’t gone yellow over time.

By *heaspieswingerMan  over a year ago

Peak District

"I know one thing (have covered alot of my own skin in tattoos) the white lining always seems to hurt more than the other parts of the tattoo

That’s because it’s always the last thing they do and going over freshly scarred, raw skin!"

Yep - Mr HPC was nearly in tears when his was done. Mind you, he had been sat in the chair for six hours at that point!

"I know one thing (have covered alot of my own skin in tattoos) the white lining always seems to hurt more than the other parts of the tattoo

That’s because it’s always the last thing they do and going over freshly scarred, raw skin!"

Believe it or not but I do know that

Should have clarified:

I’m covered in tattoos.

I’ve tattooed lots of skin types and shades.

Happy to answer in detail in DM but there is a lot of miss information here x

"On the offchance that someone here might be a tattoo artist or have a white ink tattoo!

"

One of mine has a bit of white ink in and it’s fine.Also I’ve many colours Iam not aware of a colour being more painful than black.

It just depends on where on the body your gonna have it to how painful it will be..

By *DreamOfGenie OP   Woman  over a year ago

London

Thanks for all the feedback so far guys - white ink seems to be a bit divisive!

Away from this thread I've done some more online research and spoken to two tattooist friends - one would do it, the other said they wouldn't.

Seems there's no clear answer to this one. Bloody typical to pick something difficult eh

My predator was supposed to have more white in it but it was the last thing to do after over 5 continuous hours, was getting unbearable so it’s not finished!

» Add a new message to this topic