FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Close shaves?

Close shaves?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I ve had a few but then again too many to mention. Whats your closest, that moment when all seemed lost or under huge threat? One of mine happened when deep underground exploring unseen former mine workings, well unseen since the mine closed down in late 1800s. We d passed an open shaft so thought the air would be good but then came to a tight corner which nearly went back on itself. Cut a long story short one minute fine, next lots of dots sparkling and popping in my vision...next coming around at the base of the open shaft, carried out by my mate.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Being on a horse preparing to canter in a line and the horse in front bucked in the face of mine and mine reared up on his back legs nearly vertical as I held on for dear life other wise I would have been trampled by the horse behind.

Boisterous riding school horses

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Renovating my old Victorian villa before we moved in and blew it up by cutting open a 55 gallon drum in the front room.

Vapor blast as I didn’t vent it blew every window out and should have killed me but my head is harder than the metal lid and angle grinder which both went through my face on the way through the ceiling.

Stupid but very lucky.

T

"Being on a horse preparing to canter in a line and the horse in front bucked in the face of mine and mine reared up on his back legs nearly vertical as I held on for dear life other wise I would have been trampled by the horse behind.

Boisterous riding school horses "

I used to have a beautiful painted horse but she could be a pain to ride..in her fields I could use a strimmer or be braying at rock with a hammer and chisel and she d come and nosey. She d spend time around our cattle..get her out and about and she d spook to the smallest piece of plastic or one fly buzzing her. We went out on the moors one day..nice gentle plod then for no apparent reason she reared all the way on her hind legs..she was good at this...and came down into a deep lunge on her front legs throwing me over her head breaking a rib as I landed. Unbeknown to me she d picked up on the fox hunt in the distance, but only by scent but for whatever reason she panicked at not being able to see them! Bugger!

"Renovating my old Victorian villa before we moved in and blew it up by cutting open a 55 gallon drum in the front room.

Vapor blast as I didn’t vent it blew every window out and should have killed me but my head is harder than the metal lid and angle grinder which both went through my face on the way through the ceiling.

Stupid but very lucky.

T"

Bloody hell..vapours can be unexpected wake up calls for sure

The drum had something called Methenol in it before not that I knew what that was at the grime but I do now.

For years the on going joke was OI TONY MAKE US A BBQ gallows humor at its best.

T

By *nabelle21Woman  over a year ago

B38

"Renovating my old Victorian villa before we moved in and blew it up by cutting open a 55 gallon drum in the front room.

Stupid but very lucky.

T"

You were indeed lucky ...wow

"The drum had something called Methenol in it before not that I knew what that was at the grime but I do now.

For years the on going joke was OI TONY MAKE US A BBQ gallows humor at its best.

T"

Love it..gallows humour is great

"The drum had something called Methenol in it before not that I knew what that was at the grime but I do now.

T"

I did once blow up our shed..the explosion was expected and purposeful..it just went a little sideways on execution

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

When working a regular Security Night Shift, on a site patrol, I found an open vehicle access roller shutter that had been left open by daytime workers.

I pressed the "Close" button on the control box; the motor started, the shutter moved by a couple of feet then stopped. I pressed the button again, the motor started again, then Wallop! The entire shutter collapsed on top of me, all 4 tons of it!!!!

I came to, in hospital! It transpired the shutter had been struck by an overheight truck earlier in the day and was put out of action.

But though my company was informed (we managed all of their facilities Ops!), they failed to isolate the motor, didn't tell security and failed to put safety slings under it.

My shift colleague called for help. Search parties found me swallowed up in the roller shutter, and it took Energency Services 3 hours to extricate me safely.

I was told I'd been knocked out for several hours overall, the shutter struck my skull first, then my shoulders & almost tore off one ear. I had no broken bones, but was black & blue for over 2 weeks.

I won compensation, and 3 of our Management team lost their jobs.

"When working a regular Security Night Shift, on a site patrol, I found an open vehicle access roller shutter that had been left open by daytime workers.

I pressed the "Close" button on the control box; the motor started, the shutter moved by a couple of feet then stopped. I pressed the button again, the motor started again, then Wallop! The entire shutter collapsed on top of me, all 4 tons of it!!!!

I came to, in hospital! It transpired the shutter had been struck by an overheight truck earlier in the day and was put out of action.

But though my company was informed (we managed all of their facilities Ops!), they failed to isolate the motor, didn't tell security and failed to put safety slings under it.

My shift colleague called for help. Search parties found me swallowed up in the roller shutter, and it took Energency Services 3 hours to extricate me safely.

I was told I'd been knocked out for several hours overall, the shutter struck my skull first, then my shoulders & almost tore off one ear. I had no broken bones, but was black & blue for over 2 weeks.

I won compensation, and 3 of our Management team lost their jobs. "

Holy shit...so bloody lucky..

By *uicy jonesMan  over a year ago

near a big hill in s/ shropshire NOT in

Missing my flight from Paris to New York on 25/07/2000 !!! The connecting flight from Birmingham to Paris was delayed , so missed the flight !!!!

Plane took off and exploded seconds after taking off !!! That's got to be my closest near death experience

"Missing my flight from Paris to New York on 25/07/2000 !!! The connecting flight from Birmingham to Paris was delayed , so missed the flight !!!!

Plane took off and exploded seconds after taking off !!! That's got to be my closest near death experience "

Bloody hell..one of those moments that makes you glad of the interruption of fate

"Missing my flight from Paris to New York on 25/07/2000 !!! The connecting flight from Birmingham to Paris was delayed , so missed the flight !!!!

Plane took off and exploded seconds after taking off !!! That's got to be my closest near death experience "

Was that the concord?????

T

By *uicy jonesMan  over a year ago

near a big hill in s/ shropshire NOT in

Plane took off and exploded seconds after taking off !!! That's got to be my closest near death experience

Bloody hell..one of those moments that makes you glad of the interruption of fate "

totally , couldn't Believe her misfortune at first, we tried to get on at the gate but was way too late there was a few people moaning and complaining until We seen what happened, was one of those major OMG moments , and thoughts of been blessed , but also sad for the people of family who were involved in the disaster

I was dragged along by a car, it felt like it happened in slow motion. Dislocated my ankle, broke several ribs, my nose and a head injury as well as numerous other ‘minor’ injuries.

Out cycling years ago along a country lane, a pick up coming the opposite way at speed completely failed to negotiate a bend. The pick up barrel-rolled down the road passing inches to my right and coming to a stop further down the road, a generator that was in the back flew out and landed in a hedge to my left a few foot in front of me. I was in the middle unscathed but somewhat shaken!

"Out cycling years ago along a country lane, a pick up coming the opposite way at speed completely failed to negotiate a bend. The pick up barrel-rolled down the road passing inches to my right and coming to a stop further down the road, a generator that was in the back flew out and landed in a hedge to my left a few foot in front of me. I was in the middle unscathed but somewhat shaken!"

Another one of those HOLY CRAP moments..you read stories like this and think wtf!

"I was dragged along by a car, it felt like it happened in slow motion. Dislocated my ankle, broke several ribs, my nose and a head injury as well as numerous other ‘minor’ injuries.

"

Wow..do you mind if I ask how you got caught in the car? Hope none of the above are still affecting you.

By *atBottomGirlsWoman  over a year ago

St Austell-ish

Mine isn't nearly as wild as some of yours here!

Just after I started driving, I slid on black ice and went sideways into a pickup in the opposing lane. Besides crumpling the car in half sideways, I was thrown forward and all the shattered glass went into the back of my head. Got 20 stitches, and embedded glass worked its way out of my scalp for years. This was before seat belt laws, and after that accident, my entire family used them.

A few years later, when my sister started driving, she took a newly graveled road too fast, lost control, and rolled her car into the ditch. Because she insisted everyone in the car wore seat belts, she and her friend got out of the car (crushed roof) shaken but with absolutely no injuries.

"Mine isn't nearly as wild as some of yours here!

Just after I started driving, I slid on black ice and went sideways into a pickup in the opposing lane. Besides crumpling the car in half sideways, I was thrown forward and all the shattered glass went into the back of my head. Got 20 stitches, and embedded glass worked its way out of my scalp for years. This was before seat belt laws, and after that accident, my entire family used them.

A few years later, when my sister started driving, she took a newly graveled road too fast, lost control, and rolled her car into the ditch. Because she insisted everyone in the car wore seat belts, she and her friend got out of the car (crushed roof) shaken but with absolutely no injuries."

Yeah I remember those days of no seatbelts..now its nothing but back then I refused. Im hoping the glass is now finished leaching from your head

I once blacked out while driving on the motorway. To this day I’ve no idea what happened but I was found stopped on the hard shoulder, slumped over the steering wheel.

I’ve no memory of feeling unwell or stopping the car and it always worries me about what could have happened if I hadn’t been able to pull over.

"I once blacked out while driving on the motorway. To this day I’ve no idea what happened but I was found stopped on the hard shoulder, slumped over the steering wheel.

I’ve no memory of feeling unwell or stopping the car and it always worries me about what could have happened if I hadn’t been able to pull over. "

When going through my meltdown I found it interesting analysing it as driving whatever my state was good therapy as I discovered my mind has what I call a scalextric setting...it just drives perfectly abiding by the laws even if another part of my mind was elsewhere. Others have said they have this.

My autistic son managed to absconded out of the house and I had to chase him up the road. As luck would have it we lived in a small village but he managed to get onto the main road through the village and was running down the white lines. I could see in the distance a car coming and thank my lucky stars that he was doing the speed limit as I just managed to get to and push my son out of the way and the car hit me instead. Luckily just brushing and a lot of pain in my leg but scared the living daylights out of me. The poor driver was so apologetic as he said that he hadnt seen me or my son until it was too late and he couldnt stop in time. xx

"My autistic son managed to absconded out of the house and I had to chase him up the road. As luck would have it we lived in a small village but he managed to get onto the main road through the village and was running down the white lines. I could see in the distance a car coming and thank my lucky stars that he was doing the speed limit as I just managed to get to and push my son out of the way and the car hit me instead. Luckily just brushing and a lot of pain in my leg but scared the living daylights out of me. The poor driver was so apologetic as he said that he hadnt seen me or my son until it was too late and he couldnt stop in time. xx"

Gawd its one of those situations where you can t focus all the time but you obviously were thankfully. A friend of mine was looking after his 2 youngsters..househusband. He d just emptied tumble drier when a knock at the door. Parcel force and 2 minutes at the door. As door closed his older child tugged at him to follow. The youngsters had been playing and the older put younger in drier and shut the door which meant the machine resumed its cycle. The child was dizzy but ok. His doctor wife went ape but then later realised it was no ones fault really..just one of those things.xx

"I was dragged along by a car, it felt like it happened in slow motion. Dislocated my ankle, broke several ribs, my nose and a head injury as well as numerous other ‘minor’ injuries.

Wow..do you mind if I ask how you got caught in the car? Hope none of the above are still affecting you. "

I was trying to speak to someone in the back when the driver drove away.

I still have ankle issues a year on but every day I am grateful that I’m still here. Could’ve been much worse.

» Add a new message to this topic