FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > sciatica

sciatica

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Does anyone else suffer with this and if so any tips on releaving the pain. Been doing lots more exercise than normal,but according to Google exercise does help as long as not vigorous. Taking anti inflammatory tablets. But bed times are a killer..Also have a heat pack on it when I'm sat. Any help greatly appreciated..

And good morning all.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Rather than heat honey put cold on - you can buy an amazing freeze spray.

The stretch exercises are great but if you could get to a sports massage therapist they are a god send.

By *raceytvcdTV/TS  over a year ago

mansfield

[Removed by poster at 20/05/20 08:33:10]

I got diagnosed with it years ago, and obviously everyone is different and has different degrees of sciatica, but i was told to try jogging, and it really works for me, when it flares up, hope this is some help

By *hilloutMan  over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

Depends on the severity of the sciatica and it's distribution. Is the pain constant or intermittent? Does it go below the knee and is it accompanied by numbing /pins+needles? Is there any associated leg weakness? Treatment strategies vary greatly depending on these factors.

By *xhib12Man  over a year ago

Blyth

I feel for you. My wife is suffering from this and it's really getting her down. She's tried various types of exercise and stretching tips, she's bought liads of different gadgets to try but nothing is working for her. She did have a hospital appointment to investigate it further but that was cancelled due to the virus. She's trying to control the worst of the pain with painkillers but she says they just take the edge of it. Really hope you find something that works for you as I know how much it can affect your everyday life.

"Rather than heat honey put cold on - you can buy an amazing freeze spray.

The stretch exercises are great but if you could get to a sports massage therapist they are a god send.

"

Thank you x

"I got diagnosed with it years ago, and obviously everyone is different and has different degrees of sciatica, but i was told to try jogging, and it really works for me, when it flares up, hope this is some help "

Yes i am running actually. I find that it easies it more when running up hill which I find strange..

Thanks x

Have a look for sacroiliac and piriformis stretches. YouTube has a few good vids on these.

"Depends on the severity of the sciatica and it's distribution. Is the pain constant or intermittent? Does it go below the knee and is it accompanied by numbing /pins+needles? Is there any associated leg weakness? Treatment strategies vary greatly depending on these factors."

The pain is actually coming from my right bum cheek and shoots down my right leg. But when I'm in bed I can actually feel it in my back too. Odd pins and needles in my right fingers but its only come on bad the last few nights...

"I feel for you. My wife is suffering from this and it's really getting her down. She's tried various types of exercise and stretching tips, she's bought liads of different gadgets to try but nothing is working for her. She did have a hospital appointment to investigate it further but that was cancelled due to the virus. She's trying to control the worst of the pain with painkillers but she says they just take the edge of it. Really hope you find something that works for you as I know how much it can affect your everyday life."

God I feel for her...Yes the painkillers ease it but dont take it away.. Exercises are definitely helping.

"Have a look for sacroiliac and piriformis stretches. YouTube has a few good vids on these."

Thank you very much

"Depends on the severity of the sciatica and it's distribution. Is the pain constant or intermittent? Does it go below the knee and is it accompanied by numbing /pins+needles? Is there any associated leg weakness? Treatment strategies vary greatly depending on these factors.

The pain is actually coming from my right bum cheek and shoots down my right leg. But when I'm in bed I can actually feel it in my back too. Odd pins and needles in my right fingers but its only come on bad the last few nights..."

In all likelihood it's a bulging disc compressing a nerve root. Bulging discs can improve with time even on their own. Gentle exercise is certainly one of the indicated measures to deal with this. Avoid doing what you know clearly exacerbates the symptoms.

I have had it for years now... It got really bad last year to the point i could hardly move for days.... I take anti inflammatorys and also have strong painkillers for when it gets bad... I use deep freeze which can be great at times... Also stretches are a good idea lots of the physio ones you can find online... Hope it eases up soon

Had a trapped sciatic nerve a while back, was in tatters when I moved if I could get up, someone said a TENS machine was meant to be good for it.

Or as someone has suggested a sports massage/therapist.

Hope it eases soon, I know from experience it’s a pain in the ass.

"Depends on the severity of the sciatica and it's distribution. Is the pain constant or intermittent? Does it go below the knee and is it accompanied by numbing /pins+needles? Is there any associated leg weakness? Treatment strategies vary greatly depending on these factors.

The pain is actually coming from my right bum cheek and shoots down my right leg. But when I'm in bed I can actually feel it in my back too. Odd pins and needles in my right fingers but its only come on bad the last few nights...

In all likelihood it's a bulging disc compressing a nerve root. Bulging discs can improve with time even on their own. Gentle exercise is certainly one of the indicated measures to deal with this. Avoid doing what you know clearly exacerbates the symptoms."

Thank you. The only thing that makes it hurt is sitting or laying down.

"I have had it for years now... It got really bad last year to the point i could hardly move for days.... I take anti inflammatorys and also have strong painkillers for when it gets bad... I use deep freeze which can be great at times... Also stretches are a good idea lots of the physio ones you can find online... Hope it eases up soon "

Thank you xx

"Had a trapped sciatic nerve a while back, was in tatters when I moved if I could get up, someone said a TENS machine was meant to be good for it.

Or as someone has suggested a sports massage/therapist.

Hope it eases soon, I know from experience it’s a pain in the ass. "

Yes literally

In all likelihood it's a bulging disc compressing a nerve root. Bulging discs can improve with time even on their own. Gentle exercise is certainly one of the indicated measures to deal with this. Avoid doing what you know clearly exacerbates the symptoms.

Thank you. The only thing that makes it hurt is sitting or laying down. "

When you sit, the spine is flexed and pushes that bulge further back so not surprised

"Thank you. The only thing that makes it hurt is sitting or laying down. "

Might be that your piriformis is tight or inflamed. Your sciatic nerve runs right by the piriformis, so doing stretches for that may help relax it.

It’s not a quick fix, it could take a number of weeks but stick with it if you can feel it easing.

"Does anyone else suffer with this and if so any tips on releaving the pain. Been doing lots more exercise than normal,but according to Google exercise does help as long as not vigorous. Taking anti inflammatory tablets. But bed times are a killer..Also have a heat pack on it when I'm sat. Any help greatly appreciated..

And good morning all. "

Is it in your bum cheek?

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

I don't. But would one of them foam rollers be any good?

Thank you. The only thing that makes it hurt is sitting or laying down.

When you sit, the spine is flexed and pushes that bulge further back so not surprised "

No sitting then. Bang goes the sunbathing today lol..

Great advice anyway. Much appreciated

[Removed by poster at 20/05/20 09:07:08]

"Thank you. The only thing that makes it hurt is sitting or laying down.

Might be that your piriformis is tight or inflamed. Your sciatic nerve runs right by the piriformis, so doing stretches for that may help relax it.

It’s not a quick fix, it could take a number of weeks but stick with it if you can feel it easing."

Thank you. Will try anything x

"Does anyone else suffer with this and if so any tips on releaving the pain. Been doing lots more exercise than normal,but according to Google exercise does help as long as not vigorous. Taking anti inflammatory tablets. But bed times are a killer..Also have a heat pack on it when I'm sat. Any help greatly appreciated..

And good morning all.

Is it in your bum cheek? "

Thats where I can pin point the pain yes. Then it shoots down my leg

My hot water bottle was the best thing for helping me relax but unfortunately massive doses if codiene didn't even get rid of the pain... You just have to keep moving until it sorts itself out. I have had it in both sides and had the right operated on a couple of years ago. It terrifies me everytime the left has any kind of twinge... I have my walking stick and hot water bottle ready but can no longer take codiene, so could get interesting

That’s has probably come from the increase in running, there are some specific stretches you can do. The first is lunge but make sure your back is straight and don’t let you knee touch the floor, then lunge again twisting your top half one way then the other. The next one is sit on a chair put the ankle of the effected leg on to the opposite knee then gently push down on the knee of the effected leg. Lastly lay on your back in the same position as the chair one but pull the good leg towards your chest. I hope this makes sense

"My hot water bottle was the best thing for helping me relax but unfortunately massive doses if codiene didn't even get rid of the pain... You just have to keep moving until it sorts itself out. I have had it in both sides and had the right operated on a couple of years ago. It terrifies me everytime the left has any kind of twinge... I have my walking stick and hot water bottle ready but can no longer take codiene, so could get interesting "

Oh shit.. I really feel for you.

"That’s has probably come from the increase in running, there are some specific stretches you can do. The first is lunge but make sure your back is straight and don’t let you knee touch the floor, then lunge again twisting your top half one way then the other. The next one is sit on a chair put the ankle of the effected leg on to the opposite knee then gently push down on the knee of the effected leg. Lastly lay on your back in the same position as the chair one but pull the good leg towards your chest. I hope this makes sense "

Thank you. Will give it a go..x

Ps rest from running for a few days too, make sure your trainers are suited to you, as some people over pronate etc

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

Chiropractor is called upon when mine is really bad. I had acupuncture the last time along with manipulation etc and it seemed to make it a shorter episode than normal.

Usually its just taken the anti inflammatories, and trying to move around a bit. I use shitloads of cushions to support my back in a comfy position.

Bedtime is the worst when you try to move and your back spasms.

By *iss.ddWoman  over a year ago

Leeds + Newcastle

Tens machine is the best thing I bought for mine

"Ps rest from running for a few days too, make sure your trainers are suited to you, as some people over pronate etc "

Oh gosh.. Really hate to miss my runs.. My trainers are running shoes...

"Chiropractor is called upon when mine is really bad. I had acupuncture the last time along with manipulation etc and it seemed to make it a shorter episode than normal.

Usually its just taken the anti inflammatories, and trying to move around a bit. I use shitloads of cushions to support my back in a comfy position.

Bedtime is the worst when you try to move and your back spasms. "

Yes bedtime is the killer.

Thanks for the advice

"Tens machine is the best thing I bought for mine "

Thanks

"My hot water bottle was the best thing for helping me relax but unfortunately massive doses if codiene didn't even get rid of the pain... You just have to keep moving until it sorts itself out. I have had it in both sides and had the right operated on a couple of years ago. It terrifies me everytime the left has any kind of twinge... I have my walking stick and hot water bottle ready but can no longer take codiene, so could get interesting

Oh shit.. I really feel for you. "

Luckily it's been ok but I know how suddenly it can reappear

Lots of gentle core exercises...you need to be careful not to overdo it though-some physios are doing online consultations right now, some for free x

"Lots of gentle core exercises...you need to be careful not to overdo it though-some physios are doing online consultations right now, some for free x"

Oh right. Thanks for that x

Heat and cold packs and walking despite it being agony. Also some great stretching vids on you tube which makes a huge difference xx

By *elshsunsWoman  over a year ago

Flintshire

I do yoga and Pilates for it ... far less flare ups plus stretching too

"Heat and cold packs and walking despite it being agony. Also some great stretching vids on you tube which makes a huge difference xx"

Thank you

"I do yoga and Pilates for it ... far less flare ups plus stretching too "

Yes been doing some yoga and stretching.. Thank you

By *iggers51Man  over a year ago

tamworth

Try the mackenzie postion, no its not sex lol, lay down on your belly, put your arms so your elbows n hands are flat on the floor, this will have your back arched i hope, if i explained it right, and this gives relief on trapped nerve, works for me, but yes painfull, esp if you get in both legs, n sneeze xxxx

"Try the mackenzie postion, no its not sex lol, lay down on your belly, put your arms so your elbows n hands are flat on the floor, this will have your back arched i hope, if i explained it right, and this gives relief on trapped nerve, works for me, but yes painfull, esp if you get in both legs, n sneeze xxxx"

Thanks will try that also

» Add a new message to this topic