FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Male privilege

Male privilege

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Does it still exist in todays society?

If so, how so?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Does it still exist in todays society?

If so, how so?"

Yes it does. Men still get paid more than women for the same job.

If so, how so?

Yes it does. Men still get paid more than women for the same job."

Do you have any evidence?

I'm talking more about the UK then other parts of the world

By *itofamouthfullMan  over a year ago

here and there

If so, how so?

Not disagreeing with this point, but if you asked a father would he rather be paid more or have complete equal custody of a child (especially if not married) i know what most would want and it’s not extra cash. It is true men get certain advantages in life but so do woman in other situations. We’re both very different so hard to have things truly equal

By *hilloutMan  over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

If so, how so?

I'm talking more about the UK then other parts of the world"

I've worked as a locum across various parts of the UK and not once came across a discrepancy in pay between men and woman from the same agency for equivalent positions.

If so, how so?

There’s plenty of evidence from all over the world- and yes, that means the UK too- showing the higher up the career ladder you go, the larger the pay discrepancies.

You asked for examples and there’s one.

If so, how so?

Where ?

If so, how so?

Not disagreeing with this point, but if you asked a father would he rather be paid more or have complete equal custody of a child (especially if not married) i know what most would want and it’s not extra cash. It is true men get certain advantages in life but so do woman in other situations. We’re both very different so hard to have things truly equal"

I agree with this too btw.

By *itofamouthfullMan  over a year ago

here and there

If so, how so?

Not disagreeing with this point, but if you asked a father would he rather be paid more or have complete equal custody of a child (especially if not married) i know what most would want and it’s not extra cash. It is true men get certain advantages in life but so do woman in other situations. We’re both very different so hard to have things truly equal

I agree with this too btw. "

So that’s 2 things we’ve agreed on the unwritten rules of FAB states that if it happens 3 times we have to have amazing sex together. A pain I know but I don’t write the rules

If so, how so?

There’s plenty of evidence from all over the world- and yes, that means the UK too- showing the higher up the career ladder you go, the larger the pay discrepancies.

You asked for examples and there’s one."

That’s not an example

If so, how so?

Where ?"

Well I worked for a large multinational as a senior HR director. In middle management jobs and higher and in jobs where the salary was given as a range.

Whilst working as a professor for HR I’ve had many Master students base their Master thesis on this very topic and it’s still happening. The countries with the smallest discrepancies are the Scandinavian ones btw.

If so, how so?

That’s not an example "

What is it then? A kick up the arse?

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Yes it does. Are women afforded different privileges? Probably.

I think you need to experience life as either sex to know what it's really like. From my view point as we woman men are privileged in many subtle ways that I'm not but I'm pretty sure men would say the same thing in reverse.

If so, how so?

That’s not an example

What is it then? A kick up the arse? "

Its a theory, not an example

By *r TriomanMan  over a year ago

Chippenham Malmesbury area

If so, how so?

The BBC are constantly being caught out for this

By *xfordshireCoupleMFCouple  over a year ago

Nr. Oxford

I (mrs) worked for a pharmaceutical company in accounts, when I joined I had more experience than my Male counter part who joined after me, he earned 5k more than me for no other reason than being Male, same experience, same job and same hours. We also ended up having a company review as it turned out that our female scientists were also being paid less than their Male counter parts.

If so, how so?

That’s not an example

Its a theory, not an example"

No, I have names, addresses and files...

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

The BBC have a well known record for paying females less than male counterparts.

Samira Ahmed launched a landmark equal pay case, claiming she had been paid 85% less than her male equivalent.

And she won.

85% less!

The people who mention the gender pay gap usually do so cos they heard it on the news. When asked to provide examples they can’t. It’s very rarely if ever inside their own employment they find it. Not saying it doesn’t exist but the pay gap is just another example of how they manipulate statistics to whichever narrative suits.

Still though would like to thank all the women who back when it was the norm refused to pay cheaper car insurance simply for being a woman. All those who refused free entry into clubs when their male friends had to pay. All the women who were outraged at being discriminated against at being able to retire much younger than men despite having the longer life span. Plus of course all those who are part of the fathers for justice movement.

Don’t ever let society that your gender prevents you. Tell society to fuck itself and prove it wrong

"

I agree with this too btw.

So that’s 2 things we’ve agreed on the unwritten rules of FAB states that if it happens 3 times we have to have amazing sex together. A pain I know but I don’t write the rules "

Oh really? Better keep an eye out for you then

We need look no further than British Politics and the British Media to see it in action.

I’m not going into detail but compare how Boris Johnson has been treated to Teresa May and ask yourself why.

By *isaB45Woman  over a year ago

Fabville

If so, how so?"

If it didn't exist in today's society, there would have been no need for the Equal Pay Act, 2018.

Equal pay, employees receiving the same remuneration for the same work irrespective of gender, race, religion etc. is required by law. That said, there are plenty of cases brought before employment tribunals each year where this isn’t the case.

The gender pay gap measures differences in hourly earnings across organisations (across different job functions). And in the UK, there is still a pay gap between men and women, although it’s declining slowly. There are plenty of ideas about why this gap exists but it’s not as simple as just outright discrimination (although that still happens).

I can walk home from work at midnight down a deserted country road without a care in the world...

"I can walk home from work at midnight down a deserted country road without a care in the world..."

So can I...

It does exist. Along with white privelige.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I can walk home from work at midnight down a deserted country road without a care in the world..."

That's the kind of privilege I'm thinking of.

You can also be fairly confident that in a meeting of equals in the workplace it will be a female colleague who will be asked to provide refreshments and be called love. Ask that if you smile and behave in a friendly way towards members of the opposite sex it won't be seen as a come on.

[Removed by poster at 20/05/20 09:07:26]

By *nexpectedExplorerMan  over a year ago

Gower

If so, how so?

Where ?

Well I worked for a large multinational as a senior HR director. In middle management jobs and higher and in jobs where the salary was given as a range.

Whilst working as a professor for HR I’ve had many Master students base their Master thesis on this very topic and it’s still happening. The countries with the smallest discrepancies are the Scandinavian ones btw."

Damn, I fancy you even more now

By *elshyXOMan  over a year ago

Newcastle

If so, how so?

That’s not an example

Its a theory, not an example"

Except - it isnt a theory, its a facts drawn conclusion

If so, how so?

That’s not an example

Except - it isnt a theory, its a facts drawn conclusion"

Wheres the facts?

"The people who mention the gender pay gap usually do so cos they heard it on the news. When asked to provide examples they can’t. It’s very rarely if ever inside their own employment they find it. Not saying it doesn’t exist but the pay gap is just another example of how they manipulate statistics to whichever narrative suits.

Still though would like to thank all the women who back when it was the norm refused to pay cheaper car insurance simply for being a woman. All those who refused free entry into clubs when their male friends had to pay. All the women who were outraged at being discriminated against at being able to retire much younger than men despite having the longer life span. Plus of course all those who are part of the fathers for justice movement.

Don’t ever let society that your gender prevents you. Tell society to fuck itself and prove it wrong "

A patriarchal society discriminates against both genders. Toxic masculinity is as harmful to men as it is to women. It creates a society that puts unfavourable expectations on both genders. Expectations that are so ingrained that they condition its citizens totally. I agree with everything you have written above, those things are not okay. I could list many more inequalities against women and trans people. If you want to explore it then I'm happy to.

I'm a feminist and I am one because I want to challenge and contribute to the breaking down of the inequalities for men and women. So that both parents do have equal rights to custody of thier children, so that both genders are able to choose to or not to have children without being asked about it as though they are abnormal, so that domestic abuse does not ruin the lives of all genders and condition. Children into thinking that's what love looks like.

"The people who mention the gender pay gap usually do so cos they heard it on the news. When asked to provide examples they can’t. It’s very rarely if ever inside their own employment they find it. Not saying it doesn’t exist but the pay gap is just another example of how they manipulate statistics to whichever narrative suits.

Don’t ever let society that your gender prevents you. Tell society to fuck itself and prove it wrong

A patriarchal society discriminates against both genders. Toxic masculinity is as harmful to men as it is to women. It creates a society that puts unfavourable expectations on both genders. Expectations that are so ingrained that they condition its citizens totally. I agree with everything you have written above, those things are not okay. I could list many more inequalities against women and trans people. If you want to explore it then I'm happy to.

I'm a feminist and I am one because I want to challenge and contribute to the breaking down of the inequalities for men and women. So that both parents do have equal rights to custody of thier children, so that both genders are able to choose to or not to have children without being asked about it as though they are abnormal, so that domestic abuse does not ruin the lives of all genders and condition. Children into thinking that's what love looks like.

"

I like this attitude

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"

By *ecadent_DevonMan  over a year ago

Okehampton

In the organisations I have worked in the pay has always been based on the role not the gender of the employee. However it is a statistical fact from these employers that men are more likely to hold senior positions than women and therefore get higher pay on average across the organisation

Why this occurs is a subject of debate, but is most likely to be connected to years of continuous service or because women often (not always) take maternity leave during their career. I have always understood this to be based on choice. I don’t preclude the fact that younger women are often overlooked for promotion due to the perceived notion that at some point they will need maternity leave.

Women are more likely to get flexible working hours in my organisation and be offered contracts that suit there work/home life balance. When I requested to go down to a 3 day week I was told that I couldn’t due to not having children

Newcastle

Don’t ever let society that your gender prevents you. Tell society to fuck itself and prove it wrong "

Okay then, i’ll also tell women that male privilege doesnt exist when sexual assault/r*pe prosectutions are still appalling low. I’ll tell them it doesnt exist even when industries are entirely male dominated. I’ll tell them its not a thing when women are trafficked for sex & drugs. I’ll tell them theyre imagining it when sex work is criminalised.

I’ll also make a point of letting women know how wrong they are by mansplaining to them how “male privilege” doesnt exist when they tell me how it does.

Rather than spout off, why not try listening to what these women are saying?

I think you are focusing way too much on money as the point of male privilege, which there definitely is.

But when was the last time any of you fellas have been walking down the street and harassed by a group of women, or off out for a run and being constantly stared at or had something shouted out of a car at you.

The type of privileges we get are that for the majority of our time, we feel safe and secure.

"

Yes. 100%

"A patriarchal society discriminates against both genders. Toxic masculinity is as harmful to men as it is to women. It creates a society that puts unfavourable expectations on both genders. Expectations that are so ingrained that they condition its citizens totally. I agree with everything you have written above, those things are not okay. I could list many more inequalities against women and trans people. If you want to explore it then I'm happy to.

"

Spoken as a true feminist. A feminist who defends the equal rights of all and non genders. Far too many who label themselves as “feminists” are really just sexists but hide behind the more acceptable label.

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

"

Spoken as a true feminist. A feminist who defends the equal rights of all and non genders. Far too many who label themselves as “feminists” are really just sexists but hide behind the more acceptable label. "

Nah. In my experience it's far too many men who are unable to hear any even mild analysis of male behaviour or gender roles in society without immediately going to 'that means you hate men!' and throwing their toys out of the pram.

By *wist my nipplesCouple  over a year ago

North East Scotland, mostly

If so, how so?"

What do you think, OP?

Mrs TMN x

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

As a secretary in an office I heard one of the managing partners refer to me (in my presence) as a handmaiden because i’d taken in my boss a cuppa (because i had been making myself one anyway)

“I didn’t know you had a handmaiden, do we all get one?” chortle chortle.

My boss went beetroot.

If so, how so?

but women get cheaper car insurance and I know alot of women that are worse drivers than any man not only for speed they drive but also how they drive yet because they are women get cheaper car insurance

Manchester (she/her)

"

Spoken as a true feminist. A feminist who defends the equal rights of all and non genders. Far too many who label themselves as “feminists” are really just sexists but hide behind the more acceptable label.

Nah. In my experience it's far too many men who are unable to hear any even mild analysis of male behaviour or gender roles in society without immediately going to 'that means you hate men!' and throwing their toys out of the pram. "

Yes. You know how POF. I adore ya, but I’m lazy

If so, how so?"

Yes, and so does female privilege and I don't mind that at all - we're not the same but overall were pretty equally treated these days. Next we'll be taking turns at bum fun for goodness sake....

Newcastle

If so, how so?

Yes it does. Men still get paid more than women for the same job. but women get cheaper car insurance and I know alot of women that are worse drivers than any man not only for speed they drive but also how they drive yet because they are women get cheaper car insurance "

“Male privilege doesnt exist - so here’s me being sexist to prove my point”

If so, how so?

Yes, and so does female privilege and I don't mind that at all - we're not the same but overall were pretty equally treated these days. Next we'll be taking turns at bum fun for goodness sake.... "

What about in India?

If so, how so?

Yes it does. Men still get paid more than women for the same job. but women get cheaper car insurance and I know alot of women that are worse drivers than any man not only for speed they drive but also how they drive yet because they are women get cheaper car insurance

“Male privilege doesnt exist - so here’s me being sexist to prove my point”"

If so, how so?

Yes it does. Men still get paid more than women for the same job. but women get cheaper car insurance and I know alot of women that are worse drivers than any man not only for speed they drive but also how they drive yet because they are women get cheaper car insurance "

If your argument against gender inequality is car insurance and getting in free at bars, you’re really missing the point.

It’s alright ladies. You can be harassed daily, but we will give you £100 off your insurance

If so, how so?

Yes it does. Men still get paid more than women for the same job. but women get cheaper car insurance and I know alot of women that are worse drivers than any man not only for speed they drive but also how they drive yet because they are women get cheaper car insurance

If your argument against gender inequality is car insurance and getting in free at bars, you’re really missing the point.

It’s alright ladies. You can be harassed daily, but we will give you £100 off your insurance "

I think men and women are fairly equally treated these days to be honest yes men still stare at women and wolf whistle yet in think no matter how PC the world becomes men will still do things like this and women can be just as bad as men at times but they tend to be more discreet about it. I think the world is getting a little bit to PC and people get to shirty about the littlest things

I dont know if it was mostly my imagination but in the early days of the lockdown ( way,way back then yes) it appeared to be only men out and about doing the shopping. I only noticed it as everyone was lined up in queues everywhere, and it seemed unusual for rows of men everywhere. Now I know men have to eat too, but just something I noticed, maybe of no significance whatsoever

If so, how so?

Yes, and so does female privilege and I don't mind that at all - we're not the same but overall were pretty equally treated these days. Next we'll be taking turns at bum fun for goodness sake....

What about in India?"

Same answer still applies, just a different logic and culture my love. In a way the answer has always been the same since the beginning of time, just with different demands of what's important and expected. If it wasn't the case then humans would have run extinct by now.... Men maybe could be viewed as running the place in the old days but did the poor troops on the frontline really want to be there and were the families left behind benefiting from protection? Innit....

By *aughty_nymphWoman  over a year ago

Cheltenham

If so, how so?

I do.

When I had to work at my previous place. Two of us were the same job title. Without knowing my salary, he let slip he was on £5k a year more than me... I saw the pay slip too...

"A patriarchal society discriminates against both genders. Toxic masculinity is as harmful to men as it is to women. It creates a society that puts unfavourable expectations on both genders. Expectations that are so ingrained that they condition its citizens totally. I agree with everything you have written above, those things are not okay. I could list many more inequalities against women and trans people. If you want to explore it then I'm happy to.

Spoken as a true feminist. A feminist who defends the equal rights of all and non genders. Far too many who label themselves as “feminists” are really just sexists but hide behind the more acceptable label. "

Absolutley not. I defend the rights of men as well as women. I have argued to the hilt with very militant feminists that that the routine circumcision of male babies is genital mutilation and akin to FFM and stand firmly beside my beleif. Maybe it is your understanding of feminism that is skewiff. And I totally accept that there some versions of feminism that are misandrous. Not mine but there are some.

[Removed by poster at 20/05/20 09:40:42]

If so, how so?

What about in India?

Same answer still applies, just a different logic and culture my love. In a way the answer has always been the same since the beginning of time, just with different demands of what's important and expected. If it wasn't the case then humans would have run extinct by now.... Men maybe could be viewed as running the place in the old days but did the poor troops on the frontline really want to be there and were the families left behind benefiting from protection? Innit....

What are you on man? It’s absolutely not the same at all. "

No. Not even close. Jesus Christ

If so, how so?

It’s alright ladies. You can be harassed daily, but we will give you £100 off your insurance I think men and women are fairly equally treated these days to be honest yes men still stare at women and wolf whistle yet in think no matter how PC the world becomes men will still do things like this and women can be just as bad as men at times but they tend to be more discreet about it. I think the world is getting a little bit to PC and people get to shirty about the littlest things "

I wouldn’t say that’s about being PC. Just accepting that it’s “Just the way it is” is a bit of a shit argument really. If you were to have a daughter, how would you feel about her treated like that on a daily basis?

Is it something you would be okay with?

If so, how so?

What about in India?

What are you on man? It’s absolutely not the same at all.

No. Not even close. Jesus Christ "

The op wants to focus on the UK

We don't have to go to India to see a toxic patriarchy at work. It is right here in the UK.

It is in any of the messages women recieve in this site.

It is in the notion that men should pay for everything on a date or in a relationship.

It is right here.

"We don't have to go to India to see a toxic patriarchy at work. It is right here in the UK.

It is in the notion that men should pay for everything on a date or in a relationship.

It is right here. "

If so, how so?

It’s alright ladies. You can be harassed daily, but we will give you £100 off your insurance I think men and women are fairly equally treated these days to be honest yes men still stare at women and wolf whistle yet in think no matter how PC the world becomes men will still do things like this and women can be just as bad as men at times but they tend to be more discreet about it. I think the world is getting a little bit to PC and people get to shirty about the littlest things

I wouldn’t say that’s about being PC. Just accepting that it’s “Just the way it is” is a bit of a shit argument really. If you were to have a daughter, how would you feel about her treated like that on a daily basis?

Is it something you would be okay with? "

I have 2 daughters and i would and will protect them with my life yet the will also be well educated and prepared for life and be told how to handle themselves and if any guys over step the mark god help them with a dad like me and 3 older brothers lol

Manchester (she/her)

"We don't have to go to India to see a toxic patriarchy at work. It is right here in the UK.

It is right here. "

And much more besides. (I'm not well, nothing substantive to add)

If so, how so?

It’s alright ladies. You can be harassed daily, but we will give you £100 off your insurance I think men and women are fairly equally treated these days to be honest yes men still stare at women and wolf whistle yet in think no matter how PC the world becomes men will still do things like this and women can be just as bad as men at times but they tend to be more discreet about it. I think the world is getting a little bit to PC and people get to shirty about the littlest things

Is it something you would be okay with? I have 2 daughters and i would and will protect them with my life yet the will also be well educated and prepared for life and be told how to handle themselves and if any guys over step the mark god help them with a dad like me and 3 older brothers lol"

Ok. So if I am sexually assaulted, it’s because I’m not well prepared for life?

It is right here.

"

Don't get me wrong. Women in India have a shit time but just to keep it the uk

If so, how so?

Is it something you would be okay with? I have 2 daughters and i would and will protect them with my life yet the will also be well educated and prepared for life and be told how to handle themselves and if any guys over step the mark god help them with a dad like me and 3 older brothers lol

Ok. So if I am sexually assaulted, it’s because I’m not well prepared for life?"

dont twist what I'm saying sexual assault is not acceptable what I mean was harmless wolf whistling etc and you know it

If so, how so?

Is it something you would be okay with? I have 2 daughters and i would and will protect them with my life yet the will also be well educated and prepared for life and be told how to handle themselves and if any guys over step the mark god help them with a dad like me and 3 older brothers lol

Ok. So if I am sexually assaulted, it’s because I’m not well prepared for life?"

No its because the person doing it thought they had the right to touch you without your consent.

If so, how so?

No its because the person doing it thought they had the right to touch you without your consent. "

You being sexually assaulted is never because of you.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

If so, how so?

I've worked as a locum across various parts of the UK and not once came across a discrepancy in pay between men and woman from the same agency for equivalent positions."

Education is similar, but Very different in the private sector, what I’ve done in the past to make promotions or secure big bonuses , the attitudes etc, some women can do of course, but it’s not the norm and they get labelled pushy, aggressive , problematic ... whereas they may say to me ok enough, enough, I give in .... you got it and we laugh afterwards.

If so, how so?

Ok. So if I am sexually assaulted, it’s because I’m not well prepared for life? dont twist what I'm saying sexual assault is not acceptable what I mean was harmless wolf whistling etc and you know it "

Not how it read to me.

I hate ‘harmless’ wolf whistling. Makes me feel so uncomfortable and threatened (at times). Guess I’m not well educated or prepared for life

If so, how so?

No its because the person doing it thought they had the right to touch you without your consent.

You being sexually assaulted is never because of you. "

Oh, I know that

If so, how so?

Ok. So if I am sexually assaulted, it’s because I’m not well prepared for life? dont twist what I'm saying sexual assault is not acceptable what I mean was harmless wolf whistling etc and you know it "

Is wolf whistling harmless? Maybe the ask the women here if they have found wolf whistling and jeering from men harmless. There will likely be a mixed response.

Does that sense of entitlement some men have form a basis for other farore damaging behaviour.

Why does someone think it is okay to wolf whistle or shout remarks?

If so, how so?

You being sexually assaulted is never because of you.

Oh, I know that "

I'm sure. It's more the silent ones watching the thread x

If so, how so?

I've worked as a locum across various parts of the UK and not once came across a discrepancy in pay between men and woman from the same agency for equivalent positions."

I am with you on that one. NHS got in under control I believe.

#savethenhs

If so, how so?

I've worked as a locum across various parts of the UK and not once came across a discrepancy in pay between men and woman from the same agency for equivalent positions.

Education is similar, but Very different in the private sector, what I’ve done in the past to make promotions or secure big bonuses , the attitudes etc, some women can do of course, but it’s not the norm and they get labelled pushy, aggressive , problematic ... whereas they may say to me ok enough, enough, I give in .... you got it and we laugh afterwards. "

This.

And having babies and having mat leave greatly disadvantages a woman's career.

Waspi women, innit

If so, how so?"

yeah they dont go through periods labour menopause lol. I think that's a privilege alone

If so, how so? yeah they dont go through periods labour menopause lol. I think that's a privilege alone "

Totally forgot about all that!

"Waspi women, innit "

A waspi woman that would have your back if you were being discriminated against because of your gender!

I think I just came out as a feminist on fab !

By *he riverdeep69Couple  over a year ago

North west ish

But a few have quoted examples in their own industry, affecting themselves. Not all anecdotal.

On the positive side change is happening in the UK. This isn’t something that can disappear overnight by installing a few new rules and Acts. Changing attitudes needs time and patience. A father needs to understand why saying ‘man up’ to their young son can be so damaging even though they didn’t mean it in a negative way. Females have to accept that they can’t pick and choose where they want equality....

By *he riverdeep69Couple  over a year ago

North west ish

If so, how so?

Ok. So if I am sexually assaulted, it’s because I’m not well prepared for life? dont twist what I'm saying sexual assault is not acceptable what I mean was harmless wolf whistling etc and you know it

Is wolf whistling harmless? Maybe the ask the women here if they have found wolf whistling and jeering from men harmless. There will likely be a mixed response.

Does that sense of entitlement some men have form a basis for other farore damaging behaviour.

Why does someone think it is okay to wolf whistle or shout remarks? "

Cos they are a dick basically.

"On the positive side change is happening in the UK. This isn’t something that can disappear overnight by installing a few new rules and Acts. Changing attitudes needs time and patience. A father needs to understand why saying ‘man up’ to their young son can be so damaging even though they didn’t mean it in a negative way. Females have to accept that they can’t pick and choose where they want equality...."

Absolutely! X

If so, how so?

Ok. So if I am sexually assaulted, it’s because I’m not well prepared for life? dont twist what I'm saying sexual assault is not acceptable what I mean was harmless wolf whistling etc and you know it

Why does someone think it is okay to wolf whistle or shout remarks?

Cos they are a dick basically. "

Yup!

Manchester (she/her)

"On the positive side change is happening in the UK. This isn’t something that can disappear overnight by installing a few new rules and Acts. Changing attitudes needs time and patience. A father needs to understand why saying ‘man up’ to their young son can be so damaging even though they didn’t mean it in a negative way. Females have to accept that they can’t pick and choose where they want equality...."

Absolutely

If so, how so?

You being sexually assaulted is never because of you. "

I totally agree with this I think what I have said has known up a bit more than I intended and sexual assault is never ok no matter what

An incredible amount of men denying male privilege exists here

It does exist, just like white privilege exists. The sooner people start accepting it, the sooner it can be addressed and reduced.

Yes it does.

"An incredible amount of men denying male privilege exists here

It does exist, just like white privilege exists. The sooner people start accepting it, the sooner it can be addressed and reduced."

It does exist, just like white privilege exists. The sooner people start accepting it, the sooner it can be addressed and reduced."

Yes.

If so, how so? yeah they dont go through periods labour menopause lol. I think that's a privilege alone

Totally forgot about all that! "

Manchester (she/her)

There probably is some male privilege today, but there's definitely female privilege also.

Can we all just check ourselves and start being nice?

If so, how so?

It’s alright ladies. You can be harassed daily, but we will give you £100 off your insurance "

Ha. This!

If so, how so?

Wolf whistling may be harmless to you, but to many of us women it isn’t.

It freaks me out, because a couple of years ago a man and his friends did just that “wolf whilstling” and because I carried on walking they threw their cans of drink out the window at me, the cans didn’t hit me thankfully but the liquid did.

This was early evening in the Summer.

Not so harmless.

"It does exist, just like white privilege exists. The sooner people start accepting it, the sooner it can be addressed and reduced."

Don’t start that conversation! Never ends well.

By *ulfilthmentMan  over a year ago

Just around the corner

If so, how so?

It depends on the job. Perhaps we all work for equally minded employers.

I see less ‘Male privilege’ and more a different set of values and expectations used to view men and women doing the same things, whether that’s work or in society at large.

For instance outside swinging, men and women who enjoy a lot of partners are still considered very differently by society.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

If its not possible for a person to understand that a woman alone being wolf whistled by a group of men is intimidating I despair. And yes it is always a group, a lone guy rarely does it.

"If its not possible for a person to understand that a woman alone being wolf whistled by a group of men is intimidating I despair. And yes it is always a group, a lone guy rarely does it. "

Forum Mod

East Sussex

If so, how so?

I see less ‘Male privilege’ and more a different set of values and expectations used to view men and women doing the same things, whether that’s work or in society at large.

For instance outside swinging, men and women who enjoy a lot of partners are still considered very differently by society."

Same inside swinging. Only recently there was a thread that assumed the more sexual partners a woman had the looser her vagina would be.

Is there a point on the scale where inequality becomes "important inequality"? And how do you prevent the apparent "non-serious inequality" such as door fee's and pension age developing into something more sinister? And is it ok to use what others see as inequality and bullying to fight and overcome what you see as inequality and bullying? Some folk seem to be dominating this thread and removing debate and it makes me sad for the less shouty and more shy folk

Equality in the forums, innit!

If so, how so?

Wolf whistling may be harmless to you, but to many of us women it isn’t.

It freaks me out, because a couple of years ago a man and his friends did just that “wolf whilstling” and because I carried on walking they threw their cans of drink out the window at me, the cans didn’t hit me thankfully but the liquid did.

This was early evening in the Summer.

Not so harmless. "

well that I not acceptable at all and I meant no offence with amy comment o have made I'm actually a big supporter of womens rights and I get proper defensive of any woman behind harassed as I dont like it and I only ment the harmless kind and what happened to you clearly wasnt so in sorry about that.

My car insurance comment was only meant to point out about equal rights I think things should be equal accross the board and pay should reflect the work you do and the amount you do not your gender

"There probably is some male privilege today, but there's definitely female privilege also.

Can we all just check ourselves and start being nice? "

Being ‘nice’ doesn’t cut it I’m afraid. Open discussion is good.

By *icolerobbieCouple  over a year ago

walsall

Never mind mansplaining, there’s a lot of womansplaining going on here.......

If so, how so?

For instance outside swinging, men and women who enjoy a lot of partners are still considered very differently by society.

Same inside swinging. Only recently there was a thread that assumed the more sexual partners a woman had the looser her vagina would be. "

When in actual fact the more partners a woman has the more likely she will be tighter than someone who hasn't.

"Is there a point on the scale where inequality becomes "important inequality"? And how do you prevent the apparent "non-serious inequality" such as door fee's and pension age developing into something more sinister? And is it ok to use what others see as inequality and bullying to fight and overcome what you see as inequality and bullying? Some folk seem to be dominating this thread and removing debate and it makes me sad for the less shouty and more shy folk

Equality in the forums, innit! "

Equality in the fora means being allowed to view your beliefs but also defend them. I haven’t seen any signs of bullying in this thread.

By *etite_delightWoman  over a year ago

BunnyLand

If so, how so?"

I haven’t come across male privileges in UK for sometime now but I experienced nationality privileges more than anything in this country and yes there is a thing in most areas if you are not born&raised in UK, doesn’t matter if you become British now, you still start with the lowest grade regardless of your experience background and you get turned down a job just because you are not born and bred! Obviously they don’t tell you this as all done in very clever way so you cannot trace or prove it in a way that required by law. However it’s a fact! I personally more concerned about this unspoken truth

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

The males on here think it does.

"If its not possible for a person to understand that a woman alone being wolf whistled by a group of men is intimidating I despair. And yes it is always a group, a lone guy rarely does it. "

I've had my bum pinched and felt in nightclubs a few times by women in groups enjoying their Saturday night freedom and equality, innit

I think we've gone off topic now, I'll shush....

"Is there a point on the scale where inequality becomes "important inequality"? And how do you prevent the apparent "non-serious inequality" such as door fee's and pension age developing into something more sinister? And is it ok to use what others see as inequality and bullying to fight and overcome what you see as inequality and bullying? Some folk seem to be dominating this thread and removing debate and it makes me sad for the less shouty and more shy folk

Equality in the forums, innit!

Equality in the fora means being allowed to view your beliefs but also defend them. I haven’t seen any signs of bullying in this thread."

No, you cannot pet my puppy now!

"There probably is some male privilege today, but there's definitely female privilege also.

Being ‘nice’ doesn’t cut it I’m afraid. Open discussion is good. "

I'm down for open discussion, but it'd be better done if it wasn't just a man bashing thread, and not full of anecdotal stories

Manchester (she/her)

I'm down for open discussion, but it'd be better done if it wasn't just a man bashing thread, and not full of anecdotal stories "

Male privilege is also being able to dismiss a calm discussion of experience as man bashing.

I'm down for open discussion, but it'd be better done if it wasn't just a man bashing thread, and not full of anecdotal stories "

Oh lord

I'm down for open discussion, but it'd be better done if it wasn't just a man bashing thread, and not full of anecdotal stories

Oh lord"

"If its not possible for a person to understand that a woman alone being wolf whistled by a group of men is intimidating I despair. And yes it is always a group, a lone guy rarely does it.

I've had my bum pinched and felt in nightclubs a few times by women in groups enjoying their Saturday night freedom and equality, innit

I think we've gone off topic now, I'll shush.... "

Did you feel threatened/embarrassed?

Did you worry about them doing more?

Did you feel you had to humour them to prevent feeling more threatened?

Male privilege is also being able to dismiss a calm discussion of experience as man bashing."

Touché, but I wasn't dismissing anything, just noticed a lot of comments aren't really discussing if male privilege still exists. Which I've said, I'm sure it does to some extent, and there are definitely privileges afforded to women that aren't to men.

And to say that these issues need to be addressed? How do we start to do that? Through open talk yes, but I think today, have a pretty good standard of equality.

"If its not possible for a person to understand that a woman alone being wolf whistled by a group of men is intimidating I despair. And yes it is always a group, a lone guy rarely does it.

Did you feel you had to humour them to prevent feeling more threatened?"

On occasion yes I did. Am I allowed to feel that or should I "man up"? Do you think that behaviour (which could be described as assault by some on this thread) is ok then and a wolf whistle from a distance isn't? . I believe they're both wrong but hardly on topic with the original post, they're just personal mistakes, innit.....

On occasion yes I did. Am I allowed to feel that or should I "man up"? Do you think that behaviour (which could be described as assault by some on this thread) is ok then and a wolf whistle from a distance isn't? . I believe they're both wrong but hardly on topic with the original post, they're just personal mistakes, innit....."

You're absolutely allowed to feel that.

None of that behaviour is okay

On occasion yes I did. Am I allowed to feel that or should I "man up"? Do you think that behaviour (which could be described as assault by some on this thread) is ok then and a wolf whistle from a distance isn't? . I believe they're both wrong but hardly on topic with the original post, they're just personal mistakes, innit....."

No i think its quite on topic. Male privilege, or the idea behind it, isnt just how much one gets paid compared to the other

I am surprised that the number of men compared to women who commit suicide or are homeless hasn't been brought up

Male privilege is also being able to dismiss a calm discussion of experience as man bashing.

Touché, but I wasn't dismissing anything, just noticed a lot of comments aren't really discussing if male privilege still exists. Which I've said, I'm sure it does to some extent, and there are definitely privileges afforded to women that aren't to men.

And to say that these issues need to be addressed? How do we start to do that? Through open talk yes, but I think today, have a pretty good standard of equality. "

Do you think women are afforded privileges at the expense of men?

By *etite_delightWoman  over a year ago

BunnyLand

"I am surprised that the number of men compared to women who commit suicide or are homeless hasn't been brought up"

well said and this is my point about equality a man Is told to man up when I happens to him yet the other way around and its assault and its blown up and that brings me back to what I was trying to say in the first place though I'm sure I said it all wrong. Equal rights should be equal not when it suits or it's not equal is it???

The fact is men and women are different and things could never be 100% the same for men and women

"I am surprised that the number of men compared to women who commit suicide or are homeless hasn't been brought up

"

I was gonna slowly get to all that. But then I checked my privilege.

I think a lot of people think “Male privilege” or “privilege” means that everyone has the exact same amount of privilege and that nobody suffers at all.

That’s not what it means.

And to say that these issues need to be addressed? How do we start to do that? Through open talk yes, but I think today, have a pretty good standard of equality.

Do you think women are afforded privileges at the expense of men?"

What do you mean by at the expense of men?

The suicide rates for men (according to the Samaritans Suicide Stats Report) is

The highest suicide rate in the UK, and England, is among men aged 45-49.

The highest suicide rate in Wales is among men aged 40-44.

The highest suicide rate in the Republic of Ireland is among men aged 55-64.

The highest rate in Scotland is among men aged 35-44.

-

The website statista claim that in London in 2018/19, 84% of people sleeping rough were male

What do you mean by at the expense of men? "

Like have women gained something as a result of men losing something

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

On occasion yes I did. Am I allowed to feel that or should I "man up"? Do you think that behaviour (which could be described as assault by some on this thread) is ok then and a wolf whistle from a distance isn't? . I believe they're both wrong but hardly on topic with the original post, they're just personal mistakes, innit.....

No i think its quite on topic. Male privilege, or the idea behind it, isnt just how much one gets paid compared to the other"

Agree it’s not just about pay. As above why women think it is ok to just randomly pinch a guys butt that they don’t know, if the roles were reversed there would be uproar.

Just like people find it hard to believe that a man can be abused by a women (or r*ped for that matter) and that they don’t suffer, because it’s just a woman and they should ‘man up’. What does that even mean ... should they strike back, suck it up ? No they shouldn’t, society should accept that it happens, it doesn’t mean they are weak, no one being abused is weak.

Equality works both ways, don’t fight for something for one gender if you don’t expect it to carry across all genders

By *hilloutMan  over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

Do you think women are afforded privileges at the expense of men?"

Women are awarded primary custody of children far more often than men do. Even if the father has the desire and conditions for this. I'd call this a clear example.

By *icolerobbieCouple  over a year ago

walsall

[Removed by poster at 20/05/20 10:49:34]

Women are awarded primary custody of children far more often than men do. Even if the father has the desire and conditions for this. I'd call this a clear example."

That's based on outdated attitudes enshrined in law where the default assumption was that children belong with their mother

Like have women gained something as a result of men losing something "

Well, when it comes, to family court, the default position is to award the woman custody, while the male pays for said support.

When women were got the right to vote, they didn't have responsibility of getting drafted as males did. (I know there's no draft now). But that's just two straight off top of my head.

Women are given far lesse sentences for same crime as males commit...

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

No i think its quite on topic. Male privilege, or the idea behind it, isnt just how much one gets paid compared to the other

Agree it’s not just about pay. As above why women think it is ok to just randomly pinch a guys butt that they don’t know, if the roles were reversed there would be uproar.

Just like people find it hard to believe that a man can be abused by a women (or r*ped for that matter) and that they don’t suffer, because it’s just a woman and they should ‘man up’. What does that even mean ... should they strike back, suck it up ? No they shouldn’t, society should accept that it happens, it doesn’t mean they are weak, no one being abused is weak.

Equality works both ways, don’t fight for something for one gender if you don’t expect it to carry across all genders "

Gender inequality affects men and women, but until women are free it’s unlikely society will ever be. Male gods, male rulers and physically strong men have been used for over 5000 years to create a herd that does as it’s told. Things were very different before 3000BC

Equality works both ways, don’t fight for something for one gender if you don’t expect it to carry across all genders "

By *r laidbackMan  over a year ago

London & New Brighton

If so, how so?

Not disagreeing with this point, but if you asked a father would he rather be paid more or have complete equal custody of a child (especially if not married) i know what most would want and it’s not extra cash. It is true men get certain advantages in life but so do woman in other situations. We’re both very different so hard to have things truly equal"

Totally agree and nicely put. More should be done to make things more equal all round for both females males

By *r laidbackMan  over a year ago

London & New Brighton

If so, how so?

Totally agree and nicely put. More should be done to make things more equal all round for both females males

Women are awarded primary custody of children far more often than men do. Even if the father has the desire and conditions for this. I'd call this a clear example.

That's based on outdated attitudes enshrined in law where the default assumption was that children belong with their mother "

Before the courts and laws changed to that, the male kept the children, no support from female and on top of that, pay for the female that broken up from..

Well, when it comes, to family court, the default position is to award the woman custody, while the male pays for said support.

When women were got the right to vote, they didn't have responsibility of getting drafted as males did. (I know there's no draft now). But that's just two straight off top of my head.

Women are given far lesse sentences for same crime as males commit... "

Who makes most of the decisions regarding legislation and how the law is applied?

"It does exist, just like white privilege exists. The sooner people start accepting it, the sooner it can be addressed and reduced.

Don’t start that conversation! Never ends well. "

I'm not afraid of some backlash! To be honest, denying male privilege is one of the most male privilege-y things a man can do...

Who makes most of the decisions regarding legislation and how the law is applied?"

Appointed people who have been voted to their positions. Are you trying to say we need ewual representsion in parliament?

Manchester (she/her)

Christ, patriarchy hurts men too, this isn't news and doesn't diminish male privilege.

Who makes most of the decisions regarding legislation and how the law is applied?

Appointed people who have been voted to their positions. Are you trying to say we need ewual representsion in parliament? "

They haven't all been voted in

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

Id say class or status were more of an influence than gender.

Manchester (she/her)

"Id say class or status were more of an influence than gender."

Not mutually exclusive.

On a mooch

Equality works both ways, don’t fight for something for one gender if you don’t expect it to carry across all genders

Gender inequality affects men and women, but until women are free it’s unlikely society will ever be. Male gods, male rulers and physically strong men have been used for over 5000 years to create a herd that does as it’s told. Things were very different before 3000BC "

Women are free ? I feel free, but I also feel that society is turning to the detriment of men, as to much focus Is put on what is right for one gender rather than what is right for all as human beings.

"Christ, patriarchy hurts men too, this isn't news and doesn't diminish male privilege."

I'm not disagreeing with anyone that male privilege does exist, just disingenuous to think or say that women aren't afforded any privileges that aren't to men. I did try and say earlier can we all just be nice.. In an ideal world I guess.

There is disparity in the world, never going to deny that, but living in these days(minus corona virus) PEOPLE have never had it as good, lowest poverty rate, higher living age, amazing advances in medicine. So believe me, I do check my privilege, but that's not primarily because I am male.

Appointed people who have been voted to their positions. Are you trying to say we need ewual representsion in parliament?

They haven't all been voted in"

No, but you slightly missing the point, in a proper denocracy, everyone would be voted in, I was asking if what you were calling for was equal representation in Parliament.

Manchester (she/her)

"Christ, patriarchy hurts men too, this isn't news and doesn't diminish male privilege.

I'm not disagreeing with anyone that male privilege does exist, just disingenuous to think or say that women aren't afforded any privileges that aren't to men. I did try and say earlier can we all just be nice.. In an ideal world I guess.

There is disparity in the world, never going to deny that, but living in these days(minus corona virus) PEOPLE have never had it as good, lowest poverty rate, higher living age, amazing advances in medicine. So believe me, I do check my privilege, but that's not primarily because I am male.

"

My views are intersectional and I recognise my privilege. But this thread is about male privilege.

Niceness is tied up in societal power structures that need to be questioned.

... And I'll have more to say at a future date on another episode when I'm not flat on my back with suspected Covid.

Ahh,

The good old boring equality pay debate strikes again.

I dont give a toss how much women get paid.

I also dont give a toss how much men get paid.

Aslong as I get paid and have roof over my head (you guessed it) Couldnt really give a toss about anyone else.

For the sake of the arguement.

Everyone should be paid on perfomance, not gender or title...

Of course male privilege exists. We only think with language and until there is equality between men and women in the language we use we will never genuinely see men and women as equal. It goes that deep and that is why whatever laws you pass won’t change anything because we do live in a patriarchal society that’s highly structured in so many subtle ways and women are still second-class.

Things are improving, but equality is a long way off.

Manchester (she/her)

"Of course male privilege exists. We only think with language and until there is equality between men and women in the language we use we will never genuinely see men and women as equal. It goes that deep and that is why whatever laws you pass won’t change anything because we do live in a patriarchal society that’s highly structured in so many subtle ways and women are still second-class.

Things are improving, but equality is a long way off. "

"Christ, patriarchy hurts men too, this isn't news and doesn't diminish male privilege.

My views are intersectional and I recognise my privilege. But this thread is about male privilege.

Niceness is tied up in societal power structures that need to be questioned.

... And I'll have more to say at a future date on another episode when I'm not flat on my back with suspected Covid."

Yeah, I get that this thread is about male privilege, but don't think you can discuss without discussing other forms, but I do get your point. Maybe should of said kind instead of nice, meaning kind and fair, as society structures definitely need looked at, but again that's probably for another thread.

Oh dear, if you can manage it, steam bowl with towel and shit loads vitamin C. Hope you better soon x

"

I don’t think anyone has said women aren’t afforded privileges...

A lot of men like to deny male privilege exists whilst in the same sentence addressing some female privileges. I find that amusing.

They haven't all been voted in

No, but you slightly missing the point, in a proper denocracy, everyone would be voted in, I was asking if what you were calling for was equal representation in Parliament. "

My point was that it's mainly men that make the decisions that apply to both men and women and has been historically.

I don’t think anyone has said women aren’t afforded privileges...

A lot of men like to deny male privilege exists whilst in the same sentence addressing some female privileges. I find that amusing. "

Again, I've not said there aren't male privileges, but don't think you can talk male privilege without discussing others. I get some men will flat out deny any sort of privilege, and it is amusing, just think it's better to discuss ways to change issues these than merely point them out.

"It does exist, just like white privilege exists. The sooner people start accepting it, the sooner it can be addressed and reduced.

Don’t start that conversation! Never ends well.

I'm not afraid of some backlash! To be honest, denying male privilege is one of the most male privilege-y things a man can do... "

Yes!!

"The suicide rates for men (according to the Samaritans Suicide Stats Report) is

The highest suicide rate in the UK, and England, is among men aged 45-49.

The highest suicide rate in Wales is among men aged 40-44.

The highest suicide rate in the Republic of Ireland is among men aged 55-64.

The highest rate in Scotland is among men aged 35-44.

-

The website statista claim that in London in 2018/19, 84% of people sleeping rough were male"

Yes. It's an outrage that not more is done. I see massive disparity for men and women in my job. Huge. It is there all genders.

liverpool

I don't get how they can get away with the pay thing.

In the public service there are just pay scales so there is no disparity between men and women.

Maybe its industries where you negotiate your salary?

liverpool

I think the suicide thing is due to women more likely to rqpk about their problems.

That homeless one is surprising.

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"I think the suicide thing is due to women more likely to rqpk about their problems.

That homeless one is surprising."

There are more street homeless men for many reasons such as:

Women are more likely to be single parents.

Family / friends are more likely to take women in.

Men are more likely to exhibit behaviours that result in homelessness and make it more difficult to house them - violence and criminal activity for example.

The legislation is not gender based in any way. As a rule healthy adults without children are considered to be "not priority need", so not entitled to emergency accommodation.

Have a look at the Shelter website if you're interested.

"Ahh,

The good old boring equality pay debate strikes again.

I dont give a toss how much women get paid.

I also dont give a toss how much men get paid.

Aslong as I get paid and have roof over my head (you guessed it) Couldnt really give a toss about anyone else.

For the sake of the arguement.

Everyone should be paid on perfomance, not gender or title...

"

Exactly lad as you just said, people should be paid on performance and experience.

The point is, that people aren’t.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

If so, how so?"

I'm privileged to have a great wife

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

There's absolutely no doubt that "privilege" of many kinds exists some of it being addressed, some of it addressable and some of it swept under the carpet and ignored.

The trouble is, all too often (as it has done on this thread) it becomes an "us and them" thing rather than an "us" thing - I have a very simplistic (and possibly) unrealistic view that I apply for myself which is treat others with equity, respect and consideration and I honestly believe that if that was applied universally the world would be a much better place - it doesn't need psycho-babble words to explain it, doesn't need to have a label like feminism, toxic masculinity or intersectional - it just needs people to be reasonable, accept that we're all different and yet the same, and show a little respect and understanding.

Yes it may be a fantasy view but it's a morally and humanity sound one.

Stop making it about "us and them" and making it about "us"

On a mooch

"There's absolutely no doubt that "privilege" of many kinds exists some of it being addressed, some of it addressable and some of it swept under the carpet and ignored.

The trouble is, all too often (as it has done on this thread) it becomes an "us and them" thing rather than an "us" thing - I have a very simplistic (and possibly) unrealistic view that I apply for myself which is treat others with equity, respect and consideration and I honestly believe that if that was applied universally the world would be a much better place - it doesn't need psycho-babble words to explain it, doesn't need to have a label like feminism, toxic masculinity or intersectional - it just needs people to be reasonable, accept that we're all different and yet the same, and show a little respect and understanding.

Stop making it about "us and them" and making it about "us" "

If so, how so?

I believe that is only in higher management & ceo type posts, which is hardly your average job even though it's still not right. Your average working stiff doesn't experience this. I've worked up to middle management, max £60k year and everyone gets paid the same. In fact the ladies used to get allowances and benefits that men didn't.

You shouldn't be so wonderful. ..

By *wist my nipplesCouple  over a year ago

North East Scotland, mostly

"There's absolutely no doubt that "privilege" of many kinds exists some of it being addressed, some of it addressable and some of it swept under the carpet and ignored.

Stop making it about "us and them" and making it about "us" "

Ah GM, I wish we did live in your wonderful fantasy world!

I've tried to keep my emotions in check on this thread but honestly it has made me quite sad.

POF has asked a question which is bound to stir up controversy. He asks for the proof to be provided by those who think there is such a thing as male privilege, not the other way round. This sets up the position "If you can't prove it, there's no such thing" from the start... Of course that's entirely his right as the OP, and I'm not saying that's his opinion as he hasn't said on the thread, but it sets the tone.

Then we see multiple examples of men mentioning female privilege. Hmm. Yes, there are some female privileges in our society. But how does that mean there is no male privilege? It's two totally separate things. One doesn't cancel out the other. And it derails the conversation - along with the classic accusations of bullying, the wrong kind of feminists ruining it for everyone else, people being too PC etc. etc. - because men feel attacked.

The first step to anything approaching GM's happy fantasy world, to my mind, is by acknowledging that the existence of male privilege doesn't make any particular man a bad person, or that they are being personally blamed. Take the personal out of the equation, take a step back, and look at our societal structure and cultural conventions. If we can't even have a discussion about it without the "but women are privileged in these particular circumstances" then the persistence of our patriarchal society will continue.

I think I've rambled long enough...

Mrs TMN x

Manchester (she/her)

Mrs TMN

"Mrs TMN "

My thoughts exactly

"Mrs TMN

My thoughts exactly "

Echoed

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

Mrs TMN, you've said everything I was thinking in a clear and concise way.

A large part of my work involves trying to sort the gender paygap in my place of work. And to also figure out why it happens, we have reduced the gap after years of work. And now are focusing on the inequalities faced my men regarding part time work for childcare for example. It's not a story of men Vs women but the attempt to bring us to meet in the middle.

liverpool

"I think the suicide thing is due to women more likely to rqpk about their problems.

Men are more likely to exhibit behaviours that result in homelessness and make it more difficult to house them - violence and criminal activity for example.

The legislation is not gender based in any way. As a rule healthy adults without children are considered to be "not priority need", so not entitled to emergency accommodation.

Have a look at the Shelter website if you're interested. "

Yep you are probably right.

Didnt really occur to me before tbh.

Manchester (she/her)

Most modern feminists care very much about the ways in which the patriarchy hurts men and boys. I certainly do.

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Have a look at the Shelter website if you're interested.

Yep you are probably right.

Didnt really occur to me before tbh."

It's my field of expertise.

By *ocbigMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

If so, how so?

That’s not an example

Except - it isnt a theory, its a facts drawn conclusion

Wheres the facts?"

As an illustration of male privilege...

"Mrs TMN

My thoughts exactly "

I’m going to add this as I think understanding both male and female privilege is important, or entertaining the idea that male privilege might be a myth.

If you are interested in this I suggest checking out The Boy Crisis - Warren Farrell

https://youtu.be/8Jet7oeDYf8

Perhaps men need to consciously begin the same process of self-liberation and redefinition of their identities and roles that women have struggled with over the last century. We might go so far as to say that the major goals of feminism can never be fully attained if men are not also engaged in an equivalent praxis on their side. If you only row the boat with one oar, you’re possibly just going in circles.