FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Post Lockdown Anxiety Advice

Post Lockdown Anxiety Advice

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I have a non fab friend who suffers from Anxiety mostly triggered by being in public/unfamiliar places.

Before lockdown she has had therapy which has had great results and day to day although it does affect her life she does not let it stop her.

During lockdown access to therapy has not been great. She is panicking because she has not been able to challenge herself daily and go about normal life. Her anxiety levels are really high just worrying about getting back out there.

I want to give her good advice but I am someone who rarely feels Anxiety or nerves.

Any top tips from people who have suffered from similar Anxiety? How can I be the most supportive?

Thanks all

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *innie The MinxWoman  over a year ago

Under the Duvet

MIND website is really good, has loads of really accessible info on all mental health issues, plus support threads.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Will it help her to know that lots of people will be feeling the same? People who had no such issues before lockdown but now do.

She's not alone. X

By *ntrigued32Couple  over a year ago

Nottingham

Awe

With a friend like you I'd say she was on the right track.

No actual advice though, sorry.

Jo.Xx

"MIND website is really good, has loads of really accessible info on all mental health issues, plus support threads.

"

Thanks!

"Will it help her to know that lots of people will be feeling the same? People who had no such issues before lockdown but now do.

She's not alone. X"

Yes you are right I think it will be a trigger for many!

Fab forums aren't exactly a success story rn buddy. My advice - search your soul and give her some proper help innit.....

By * and R cple4Couple  over a year ago

swansea

"MIND website is really good, has loads of really accessible info on all mental health issues, plus support threads.

"

I would agree with this as it’s hard to give someone advice as everyone is different and what works for me might have the opposite results with your friend..Hope she starts to feel better big hugs to her ..

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

Do occasionally suffer from panic attacks (mainly have them under control these days).

There are good on line resources, plus many people who struggle like this, also struggle with phone calls etc. See if there are different ways she can challenge herself during lockdown.

Grounding exercises helped me in the past to prevent panic attacks. But resources are endless. Some places offer CBT online. Could she try and search for one which would suit her needs? Doesnt have to be costly, its done for free by my local wellbeing centre.

Thanks for all the advice. Face to face therapy has worked brilliantly but she is convinced online replacements won’t work for her. The organisation she used is not doing face to face for a while

Only thing helps me is my family when treatments and therapy have had to stop. Sending hugs to her OP, its like starting all over again but shes done it once and she will eventually get back to that stage. Sending hugs to you too OP X

"Thanks for all the advice. Face to face therapy has worked brilliantly but she is convinced online replacements won’t work for her. The organisation she used is not doing face to face for a while"

I would still give it a go for one session. A trial. With no obligation to continue.. can you help her rationalise these thoughts?

"Thanks for all the advice. Face to face therapy has worked brilliantly but she is convinced online replacements won’t work for her. The organisation she used is not doing face to face for a while

I would still give it a go for one session. A trial. With no obligation to continue.. can you help her rationalise these thoughts?"

Yes think this is the most useful thing I can do for her

By *LOVEpinacoladasWoman  over a year ago

East Sussex

As a general relaxation aid, some people like mindfulness apps - Calm and Headspace are the top two. It won't address specific worries about leaving the house, but it could help reduce your friend's baseline anxiety.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

This is for her to think about, not you to answer.

What techniques does she know from the therapy she's had? How can she apply them to the situation she now finds herself in?

How can she use these to challenge her anxiety in small ways now? Prepare, without catastrophising or being too hypervigilant, about what might come?

Ultimately the goal of therapy is to not need therapy anymore. This is incredibly not ideal, but it's something to practice if therapy options are poor right now.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

As for what you can do... Be there. Don't try to rescue her, but be a safety net if she needs it. Never ever minimise her feelings. Don't join in with it, but everything she's feeling is very real, and the whole "get over it life's not that bad think positive" thing adds insult to injury. It can be incredibly isolating to hear your problems minimised.

There's probably very little you can do to help with her internal struggles, but you can be with her, recognise her pain, be there in the background. Help guide her towards the tools she already has.

BBC Sounds have lots of free podcasts and Audio books on a variety of topics.

I've just searched "Anxiety" and plenty of podcasts came up, which may help your friend x

"BBC Sounds have lots of free podcasts and Audio books on a variety of topics.

I've just searched "Anxiety" and plenty of podcasts came up, which may help your friend x

"

Also if she's local to you, there's the IAPT website that are doing phone calls, if that helps her at all?

» Add a new message to this topic