FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > VE Day - population dynamics

VE Day - population dynamics

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *omplexchique OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Sale

Nothing more than a snapshot observation in this post ........ so not assuming the same everywhere.

Living in a city centre I have seen absolutely no celebration of VE Day, why? I assume because the residents of the city are relatively young and multi-racial (i.e have minimal if any reference to WW2). Yet speaking to friends beyond the centre (e.g. suburbs and semi-rural locations) street parties, flags and bunting abound, why? I suspect it’s based on retired population numbers and lower integration of cultures. So, whilst just an observation local to myself I would be interested to know if anyone else has seen similar elsewhere?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *arksxMan  over a year ago

Leicester / London

"Nothing more than a snapshot observation in this post ........ so not assuming the same everywhere.

Living in a city centre I have seen absolutely no celebration of VE Day, why? I assume because the residents of the city are relatively young and multi-racial (i.e have minimal if any reference to WW2). Yet speaking to friends beyond the centre (e.g. suburbs and semi-rural locations) street parties, flags and bunting abound, why? I suspect it’s based on retired population numbers and lower integration of cultures. So, whilst just an observation local to myself I would be interested to know if anyone else has seen similar elsewhere?"

You do realise ww2 was global war conflict it affected every nation

And britian used its subjects from every corner of its empire to fight its side whether they were white black brown or yellow. As it did in ww1.

The reason its not being celebrated is because public gathering are banned.

It doesn't matter the event or what cultural reference it is. They shouldn't be happening. Period.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"Nothing more than a snapshot observation in this post ........ so not assuming the same everywhere.

Living in a city centre I have seen absolutely no celebration of VE Day, why? I assume because the residents of the city are relatively young and multi-racial (i.e have minimal if any reference to WW2). Yet speaking to friends beyond the centre (e.g. suburbs and semi-rural locations) street parties, flags and bunting abound, why? I suspect it’s based on retired population numbers and lower integration of cultures. So, whilst just an observation local to myself I would be interested to know if anyone else has seen similar elsewhere?"

Seen a few people out here and there by ours.

Seems to be more of an excuse for a piss up than anything else.

liverpool

Living in a city centre I have seen absolutely no celebration of VE Day, why? I assume because the residents of the city are relatively young and multi-racial (i.e have minimal if any reference to WW2). Yet speaking to friends beyond the centre (e.g. suburbs and semi-rural locations) street parties, flags and bunting abound, why? I suspect it’s based on retired population numbers and lower integration of cultures. So, whilst just an observation local to myself I would be interested to know if anyone else has seen similar elsewhere?

And britian used its subjects from every corner of its empire to fight its side whether they were white black brown or yellow. As it did in ww1.

It doesn't matter the event or what cultural reference it is. They shouldn't be happening. Period.

"

Erm....

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Loved seeing all the bunting up today, you can have fun and lockdown too

Sale

Just re-establishing the purpose of this post ..... City centre no VE Day celebrations versus suburbs and semi-rural areas plenty of celebrations. Q. Has anyone experienced similar wherever you are?

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"Just re-establishing the purpose of this post ..... City centre no VE Day celebrations versus suburbs and semi-rural areas plenty of celebrations. Q. Has anyone experienced similar wherever you are?"
I'm in a rural area and by contrast the bigger towns seem to have less going on than we do. X

By *ud and BryanCouple  over a year ago

Boston, Lincolnshire

Lots of bunting and flags around us, one neighbour even had a street party style picnic in front of their house - very impressive.

Sale

"Just re-establishing the purpose of this post ..... City centre no VE Day celebrations versus suburbs and semi-rural areas plenty of celebrations. Q. Has anyone experienced similar wherever you are?I'm in a rural area and by contrast the bigger towns seem to have less going on than we do. X "

Thank you v much

"Just re-establishing the purpose of this post ..... City centre no VE Day celebrations versus suburbs and semi-rural areas plenty of celebrations. Q. Has anyone experienced similar wherever you are?I'm in a rural area and by contrast the bigger towns seem to have less going on than we do. X

Thank you v much "

We live in the suburbs and there was loads going on here.

Not sure about the city centre.

By *heIcebreakersCouple  over a year ago

Cramlington

I think your queston's interesting but is about more than just dmeographics. The very notion of it being a celebration is revolting. I know we have to suffer the nauseating stupidity of the two world wars and one world cup neantherdals, but the fact that as a nation we seem unable to tell the difference between celebration and commemoration is terrifying.

Tens of millions of people died in world war two. Some were undisputed heroes. Many of them died doing what they thought was right - even as their leaders pursued tactics that were obviously wrong. Millions of them died because of their race, their religion, or who they preferred to sleep with, in circumstances where heroism made not a shred of difference.

Celebrate? Fuck that for a game of soldiers. Let's commemorate them all, the heroes, the cowards, the geniuses and the cannon fodder, the long, the short and the tall - let's bless them all, let's commemorate them, but let's heartily wish it had never needed to happen. The idea that there's some kind of excuse, on this anniversary, for turning those memories into some kind of cos play for gammons holding fucking garden parties to celebrate is revolting.

Coming down from rantspace, maybe that's there's so much ambivalence about celebrating today. Come August even greater joys await us. Asking around who wants to celebrate Hiroshima and Nagasaki sounds to me like an undeegrad project to identify psychopaths.

By *oirinMarkusCouple  over a year ago

West Midlands and West London

"

Thank you for taking the time to explain this. I like to remind some who forget the Commonwealth and the people of colour who fought in WORLD War Two, especially in and for this country. Happy VE day everyone x

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Just re-establishing the purpose of this post ..... City centre no VE Day celebrations versus suburbs and semi-rural areas plenty of celebrations. Q. Has anyone experienced similar wherever you are?"

How far can you see..?

Listening to Vera Lynn as I type but we are in a large village to be fair..

liverpool

Living in a city centre I have seen absolutely no celebration of VE Day, why? I assume because the residents of the city are relatively young and multi-racial (i.e have minimal if any reference to WW2). Yet speaking to friends beyond the centre (e.g. suburbs and semi-rural locations) street parties, flags and bunting abound, why? I suspect it’s based on retired population numbers and lower integration of cultures. So, whilst just an observation local to myself I would be interested to know if anyone else has seen similar elsewhere?I think your queston's interesting but is about more than just dmeographics. The very notion of it being a celebration is revolting. I know we have to suffer the nauseating stupidity of the two world wars and one world cup neantherdals, but the fact that as a nation we seem unable to tell the difference between celebration and commemoration is terrifying.

Tens of millions of people died in world war two. Some were undisputed heroes. Many of them died doing what they thought was right - even as their leaders pursued tactics that were obviously wrong. Millions of them died because of their race, their religion, or who they preferred to sleep with, in circumstances where heroism made not a shred of difference.

Celebrate? Fuck that for a game of soldiers. Let's commemorate them all, the heroes, the cowards, the geniuses and the cannon fodder, the long, the short and the tall - let's bless them all, let's commemorate them, but let's heartily wish it had never needed to happen. The idea that there's some kind of excuse, on this anniversary, for turning those memories into some kind of cos play for gammons holding fucking garden parties to celebrate is revolting.

Coming down from rantspace, maybe that's there's so much ambivalence about celebrating today. Come August even greater joys await us. Asking around who wants to celebrate Hiroshima and Nagasaki sounds to me like an undeegrad project to identify psychopaths."

Very thought provoking post

Living in a city centre I have seen absolutely no celebration of VE Day, why? I assume because the residents of the city are relatively young and multi-racial (i.e have minimal if any reference to WW2). Yet speaking to friends beyond the centre (e.g. suburbs and semi-rural locations) street parties, flags and bunting abound, why? I suspect it’s based on retired population numbers and lower integration of cultures. So, whilst just an observation local to myself I would be interested to know if anyone else has seen similar elsewhere?I think your queston's interesting but is about more than just dmeographics. The very notion of it being a celebration is revolting. I know we have to suffer the nauseating stupidity of the two world wars and one world cup neantherdals, but the fact that as a nation we seem unable to tell the difference between celebration and commemoration is terrifying.

Coming down from rantspace, maybe that's there's so much ambivalence about celebrating today. Come August even greater joys await us. Asking around who wants to celebrate Hiroshima and Nagasaki sounds to me like an undeegrad project to identify psychopaths.

Very thought provoking post"

It’s not really is it? It’s just another rant to try to appear controversial.

Cramlington

Very thought provoking post

It’s not really is it? It’s just another rant to try to appear controversial. "

Of course it is. Bless you my loves, that worm of cynicism that's eaten away your heart must be so well fed.

When common sense is controversial.

What is the world these days?

Leicester / London

Very thought provoking post"

Thnak your for elaborating further want my frustration could not articulate.

Anyone who celebrates war has no understanding what it means to actively serve in a nations armed forces.

As for town vs country celebrations.

The raf painted most of inner and outer London in red white and blue.

The flew typhoons over Cardiff and had a spitfire over Duxford.

Given the limitations we have right now I'd that is an appropriate display in both urban and rural areas.

liverpool

Think no one would denies paying respects the people who lived and fought through it.

However we seem to have a particular obsession with ww2 in this country and the line between fact and fiction is often blurred.

And of course there is the issue of a 'celebration'of millions of lives lost.

I loved history at school..particularly this period

Im pretty close to city centre and nothing around me either

To be honest i took it to be because we live pretty anonymously in flats, i don't know any of my neighbours, i never see them out talking to each other either so unlikely that we would be having a garden or street party with each other

I think it would have been similar lockdown or no lockdown and wether it be VE day or royal wedding or any other reason there could be for a street party

Coming down from rantspace, maybe that's there's so much ambivalence about celebrating today. Come August even greater joys await us. Asking around who wants to celebrate Hiroshima and Nagasaki sounds to me like an undeegrad project to identify psychopaths."

Am i mis understanding? Is VE day not a celebration of the end of war? Rather than a celebration of war itself?

Sale

"Just re-establishing the purpose of this post ..... City centre no VE Day celebrations versus suburbs and semi-rural areas plenty of celebrations. Q. Has anyone experienced similar wherever you are?

Im pretty close to city centre and nothing around me either

To be honest i took it to be because we live pretty anonymously in flats, i don't know any of my neighbours, i never see them out talking to each other either so unlikely that we would be having a garden or street party with each other

I think it would have been similar lockdown or no lockdown and wether it be VE day or royal wedding or any other reason there could be for a street party "

That’s a good point although a sad indictment of high-density living leading to city centre anonymity....

Very thought provoking post.

Thnak your for elaborating further want my frustration could not articulate.

Anyone who celebrates war has no understanding what it means to actively serve in a nations armed forces.

As for town vs country celebrations.

The raf painted most of inner and outer London in red white and blue.

The flew typhoons over Cardiff and had a spitfire over Duxford.

Given the limitations we have right now I'd that is an appropriate display in both urban and rural areas.

"

You’ve not worked out it’s the celebration of the end of war? Which is why it has a totally different feel to the commemorations in Nov_mber?

By *mberWoman  over a year ago

Preston

I live in a village and there was loads going on (and still is)

We had a street party, (9 houses) we all contributed food and went up to get things one at a time. We sat in front of our houses and chatted and listened to music.

It was a beautiful sunny day and it lifted everyone's spirits. We're aged from 36 to 55.

And to the miserable bugger who said that nobody should be doing anything some of us are able to talk to people whilst keeping away from them.

The covid vigilantes are starting to bore me as much as the people who are flouting the rules are annoying me.

I live in a rural "town".

Lots going on. Blatant flouting of the lockdown rules!!

Leicester / London

Am i mis understanding? Is VE day not a celebration of the end of war? Rather than a celebration of war itself? "

It is to signify then end of the war in the european theatre of conflict.

Of course in 1945 people celebrated... they had just endured 6 years of war and 70 million people worldwide dying. They could finally move on with life without war.

To use it 75 years after the fact as an excuse for a piss up with your neighbours is appalling.

Something sobering to visually represents what the cost of "victory" really means

https://youtu.be/DwKPFT-RioU

Sale

"I live in a village and there was loads going on (and still is)

We had a street party, (9 houses) we all contributed food and went up to get things one at a time. We sat in front of our houses and chatted and listened to music.

It was a beautiful sunny day and it lifted everyone's spirits. We're aged from 36 to 55.

And to the miserable bugger who said that nobody should be doing anything some of us are able to talk to people whilst keeping away from them.

The covid vigilantes are starting to bore me as much as the people who are flouting the rules are annoying me."

Tbh I have not heard or read of any VE Day parties being anything other than respectful of the lockdown guidance. The theme I was interested in exploring was solely where the parties appeared to being held. Suburbs, small towns and villages certainly seem to have the prevalence ...... that’s all, thanks

To answer the OP, where there is more outside space there were "parties" here, suburbs of a big town.

But I feel the urge to address those critical of these celebrations, seeing it as being disrespectful!!

My neighbour was 8 when the war ended. She was telling me today that the sense of relief was immense and they all came out into the streets to party because they had something good to celebrate!

The End of the War!!

We came out and had bbqs on our own drives, bunting and flags, and she didnt get her knickers in a twist like some on this thread.

By *mberWoman  over a year ago

Preston

"I live in a village and there was loads going on (and still is)

The covid vigilantes are starting to bore me as much as the people who are flouting the rules are annoying me.

Tbh I have not heard or read of any VE Day parties being anything other than respectful of the lockdown guidance. The theme I was interested in exploring was solely where the parties appeared to being held. Suburbs, small towns and villages certainly seem to have the prevalence ...... that’s all, thanks"

I know, that's why I told you the location and our ages. I was answering your questions.

Cramlington

Am i mis understanding? Is VE day not a celebration of the end of war? Rather than a celebration of war itself? "

That's precisely the problem I have. I have no doubt about the sincerity of some people who want to celebrate the end of war but nationally it's a horribly tangled event that lacks the clear narrative that 1945 had. In case anyone has forgotten (and you can bet Boris Johnson hasn't) one of the ways Britain celebrated victory in Europe was by sacking Churchill at the general election and putting in his place a genuinely decorated ex world war One officer who made his name as a social worker and promoter of the welfare state. Faced with the choice between the rhetoric of the man who deisgned the disatstrous Dardanelles campaign, and the dedicated officer who stayed on the beaches there until all his surviving men were rescued, the British made a clear choice.

War is complicated, messy, dirty and generally to be avoided. Commemorate and cherish by all means, but some of what I've seen today is preciely the wrong kid of celebration, and I think I'm not alone in that.

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I wouldn't know what it was like in town but lots of areas near me had decorated their houses etc. There was a lot of people sitting in their front gardens drinking, eating, chatting with other neighbours. Most people were 50+ I would say.

Leicester / London

Am i mis understanding? Is VE day not a celebration of the end of war? Rather than a celebration of war itself? That's precisely the problem I have. I have no doubt about the sincerity of some people who want to celebrate the end of war but nationally it's a horribly tangled event that lacks the clear narrative that 1945 had. In case anyone has forgotten (and you can bet Boris Johnson hasn't) one of the ways Britain celebrated victory in Europe was by sacking Churchill at the general election and putting in his place a genuinely decorated ex world war One officer who made his name as a social worker and promoter of the welfare state. Faced with the choice between the rhetoric of the man who deisgned the disatstrous Dardanelles campaign, and the dedicated officer who stayed on the beaches there until all his surviving men were rescued, the British made a clear choice.

War is complicated, messy, dirty and generally to be avoided. Commemorate and cherish by all means, but some of what I've seen today is preciely the wrong kid of celebration, and I think I'm not alone in that."

This is written far more eloquently than I can write

As other have accused those not "celebrating" of having their knickers in a twist

I ask, who of you have served in the armed forces?

I served in the military and saw colleagues get blown up and killed.

There is nothing glorious about war or the casualties it inflicts on all sides whether they be soldiers or civilians.

I did not enlist with the purpose of killing machine.

I did it to make a difference and learn from past conflicts like ww2 and prayed for better outcomes to the conflict I knew I would be entering.

Im grateful on the whole I served with professional soldiers and not mindless patriots wanting to

"fly th flag" like the rhetoric I am hearing here.

Sale

"I wouldn't know what it was like in town but lots of areas near me had decorated their houses etc. There was a lot of people sitting in their front gardens drinking, eating, chatting with other neighbours. Most people were 50+ I would say."

Thank you and the age dynamic (not just location) certainly appears to influence whether celebrations went ahead.

By *rank speakerMan  over a year ago

Worcester

"Loved seeing all the bunting up today, you can have fun and lockdown too"

I was only out for a short while but it was nice to see a little cheer in this dull time? I heard of some folks having street parties on their front doorsteps.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

[Removed by poster at 09/05/20 21:35:03]

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

It didn’t happen where I live as no outside space to do that at a safe distance and no where for bunting. However friends and family that have the relevant space enjoyed a front / back garden party whilst everyone stayed in their own areas.

Nothing to do with lack of respect, just current circumstances

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I discussed the effects of the war in my voluntary capacity on Thursday.

On Friday I reflected quietly on war, sacrifice, duty, and society. No one will have seen the latter and may have drawn assumptions that I didn't mark the day.

By *JohnMan  over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

Yes, I suspect any difference observed between cities and small towns is going to be mostly down to population. There's easily 500 people on my road. The local area will be thousands. I don't know most of them, and I wouldn't expect to. Why would I socialise with people just because they live nearby, when there's a whole city to find more suitable people in? A street party is just not going to happen.

In fact, I have never seen a street party in my entire life. Not in any city I've lived in, not for any occasion. It never occurred to me that they might be real, and not just something that happens on TV.

I'm more concerned that the immediate assumption is of age and ethnicity - two very common targets of prejudice. Those young people, those old people, those people who aren't part of our culture. My alarms start sounding whenever I hear these things used as an explanation.

I don't have a problem with celebrating peace. I just don't do it myself, and that's probably because of

a prejudice of my own - any celebration in the vicinity of war, I associate too easily with nationalism and the glorification of war. I will admit that is unfair. VE day should be neither.

When I observe occasions like this, I do it with a time of quiet reflection. You could be in the same room as me and not notice. Don't mistake the lack of a party mood for a lack of respect, or a failure to mark the occasion in an appropriate way. Commemoration takes many different forms.

» Add a new message to this topic