FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > what do kids learn?

what do kids learn?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *istress_L-Captain OP   Couple  over a year ago

Southport

What age should a child learn to make a cup of tea?

I only ask because if another 16/17 year old volunteer asks me again how to make one I will not be responsible for my actions!

I'm sure I was taught this at an early age! Please anyone with children teach them how to make hot drinks!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

My eldest was 10 when she learnt how to make a cup of tea, however she could make it but not carry the hot cup any distance for the obvious reason.

If I drank tea, it might have been an earlier age, my little lady is 6 and knows excately how to put the milk in the mug and stick it in the microwave for my morning coffee, however I dont let her take the mug out of the microwave and were she to sugar it, then I wouldnt be able to drink it

She uses half a bag of sugar (or tries too)

I wouldn't dream of letting anyone under the age of 13 handle a boiling hot kettle. One mistake is all it takes and that child is scarred for life. Maybe parents shouldn't be so goddam lazy and make their own tea.

no idea

my youngest is 11 and shes not allowed to use the oven or use boiling water

I think at 17 they should know tho

By *am sampsonMan  over a year ago

cwmbran

mine are 21 and 17 and dont drink any hot drinks - so wouldnt know anyway

By *istress_L-Captain OP   Couple  over a year ago

Southport

I remember making breakfast in bed for mothers day and fathers day and making cups of tea when I didn't drink it saying that I don't drink tea and live on coffee but still at 17 surely you should have a good idea its common sense surely?

My 11 year old makes a lovely one. I told him next time he makes it like dishwater I would make him drink it.

He has been making them since about 10. I think for me it was more on height etc... because they need to be a certain height to be able to manage the kettle.

Although my son made me an awful one because his older brother said "never make mum a nice cup of tea or she will ask more often"

Cali

By *kyblue2681Woman  over a year ago

manchester

My son learnt at 9 how to make tea and is now 13 and makes a smashing brew even though i probably only drink about 3 a year lol all my guests appreciate it though he's not mastered making coffee yet. He enjoys it cause he likes being the host

My two and a half year old watches me in the kitchen, I let him help with anything safe, he can prepare his own cereal, pour himself a cup of milk and make himself a ham sandwich. Anything Sharp is out of reach and he knows not to go near the oven unless Dad is there. I won't set an age at which he can be trusted with boiling water, knives etc I will let him when I think he is responsible enough.

"I wouldn't dream of letting anyone under the age of 13 handle a boiling hot kettle. One mistake is all it takes and that child is scarred for life. Maybe parents shouldn't be so goddam lazy and make their own tea."

Both my kids could cook basic stuff by age 8, and a full roast dinner by age 10. after a year or so of using knives and peeling potatoes... yes it takes longer to teach them than to do it yourself, My son made tea / coffee at an earlier age than my daughter because he was taller and that was the main requirement... but both well able to do the job by age 10.

My view is parents shouldn't be so damned lazy! they should teach their kids how to be safe, and basic life skills like cooking, as well as in the workshop doing a bit of carpentry or mechanics.

"I wouldn't dream of letting anyone under the age of 13 handle a boiling hot kettle. One mistake is all it takes and that child is scarred for life. Maybe parents shouldn't be so goddam lazy and make their own tea.

Both my kids could cook basic stuff by age 8, and a full roast dinner by age 10. after a year or so of using knives and peeling potatoes... yes it takes longer to teach them than to do it yourself, My son made tea / coffee at an earlier age than my daughter because he was taller and that was the main requirement... but both well able to do the job by age 10.

My view is parents shouldn't be so damned lazy! they should teach their kids how to be safe, and basic life skills like cooking, as well as in the workshop doing a bit of carpentry or mechanics."

My opinion also.

Unfortunately, whilst I grew up watching and learning from my mum in the kitchen, I didn't have anyone to show me basic mechanical, carpentry or other such skills and I really wish I had.

One of the things I'm also trying to keep my son aware of is where food comes from, and what it is. Although when I referred to the hog roast we saw over the weekend as peppa pig, I got scolded by a busybody who felt I was scaring my child.

"I wouldn't dream of letting anyone under the age of 13 handle a boiling hot kettle. One mistake is all it takes and that child is scarred for life. Maybe parents shouldn't be so goddam lazy and make their own tea.

My view is parents shouldn't be so damned lazy! they should teach their kids how to be safe, and basic life skills like cooking, as well as in the workshop doing a bit of carpentry or mechanics."

well said

taught ours to cook and make cuppas when they atrted showing an interest i can't remember the age they were but everything was done safely and i didn't let them touch the kettle until they were tall enough to do so safely as others have said, i think its important to teach them good life skills from a young age, its nothing to do with being lazy but everything to do with setting them up to be able to look after themselves when the day comes

By *oddyWoman  over a year ago

between havant and chichester

mine learn when she started cookery at senior school

now she wont go nr the kitchen in case she has to cook lol

Mine is 14 and can make tea (not always of a nice colour) which we always drink to stop hurt feelings - can get himself some lunch - this can be cooking something when we are around to supervise - (safety reasons), or a sandwich when we are not, as the rules do change if he is alone - it teaches them independence and helps with self esteem, yes my 14 yr old does have special needs - but is no different in my eyes to any other child - just extra precautions are put in place for his safety.

oooops d*unk not drink

» Add a new message to this topic