FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > does Free Press reduce our global standing

does Free Press reduce our global standing

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *uckscouple2007 OP   Couple  over a year ago

Bucks

whilst of course it is good that we have press that is free to publish stories for the benefit of us all ... but whilst they enlighten us to that nasty world beyond our shores ...

are the media actually undermining our position on the world stage ... in particular hosting major events?

prior to the award of the last world cup we were in a strong position, but the BBC and other media took it upon themselves to display how crooked FIFA is ... all well and good - but what became of it apart from us not being awarded the prestigious event??

just now, when walking to get a fresh beer from the fridge heard the trailer for tonights panorama and seems they intend dishing the dirt on this weekends Eurovision hosts ... so what?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

I'd rather the UK had a free press than be known for taking bribes to host football, or have a bad human rights record like the Eurovision hosts.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"prior to the award of the last world cup we were in a strong position, but the BBC and other media took it upon themselves to display how crooked FIFA is ... all well and good - but what became of it apart from us not being awarded the prestigious event??"

What? Seriously?!

I don't know if you've been following the story since, but back-handers paid for those World Cups to go to the countries that ended up with them. No amount of good press was going to change that.

"I'd rather the UK had a free press than be known for taking bribes to host football, or have a bad human rights record like the Eurovision hosts."

By *araidWoman  over a year ago

the west (ish)

does Free Press reduce our global standing?

Standing on a globe? Good balance required.

Bucks

"

I don't know if you've been following the story since, but back-handers paid for those World Cups to go to the countries that ended up with them. No amount of good press was going to change that."

sad to say but of course it happens, just washing it in public - where only us are taking note - makes no one interested in our moral high ground

"

where only us are taking note - makes no one interested in our moral high ground"

Are you saying that having the moral high ground with regards to bribes and human rights is a bad thing?

Bucks

"

where only us are taking note - makes no one interested in our moral high ground

Are you saying that having the moral high ground with regards to bribes and human rights is a bad thing?"

definately not human rights - though the paranoid would say we breach those all the time with terrorist suspects - and as for the bribery ...

there was no hint that we tried to bribe to get the world cup here - our press just broadcast what we all knew about the other nations (hence no one voted for us) !

"

there was no hint that we tried to bribe to get the world cup here - our press just broadcast what we all knew about the other nations (hence no one voted for us) !"

Panorama is a current events programme that investigates irregularities in various areas. FIFA was well known to be bent as a 7 bob note, as admitted by two members up to the award of the last world cup. What were they supposed to do?

I strongly suspect they went to FIFA before they went public, so if the FA were 'punished' because the Beeb was doing what we pay them to do, then that just backs up their accusations all the more.

Bucks

"

if the FA were 'punished' because the Beeb was doing what we pay them to do, then that just backs up their accusations all the more."

not denying that ... just wonder does it help the cause of the UK globally?

"

if the FA were 'punished' because the Beeb was doing what we pay them to do, then that just backs up their accusations all the more.

not denying that ... just wonder does it help the cause of the UK globally?"

I suspect it depends on how much importance you put on a football tournament and a singing competition.

By *ovedupstillCouple  over a year ago

mullinwire

would rather never host anything again than have to do it corruptly.

then again, we somehow managed to get the olympics so cant be that tainted

"Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers."

UN Declaration of Human Rights Article 19.

Not important whether it helps the UK or not. It's a basic human right.

"would rather never host anything again than have to do it corruptly.

then again, we somehow managed to get the olympics so cant be that tainted"

And the IOF were investigated for corruption a few years ago. Maybe they don't bear grudges!

Bucks

""Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers."

UN Declaration of Human Rights Article 19.

Not important whether it helps the UK or not. It's a basic human right.

"

and no doubt makes big bonus for the journalist

Bucks

"would rather never host anything again than have to do it corruptly.

then again, we somehow managed to get the olympics so cant be that tainted

And the IOF were investigated for corruption a few years ago. Maybe they don't bear grudges!"

so proves WE can win with honesty and integrityand a bloody good proposal ... just scuppered by the free press

"so proves WE can win with honesty and integrityand a bloody good proposal ... just scuppered by the free press "

I am not a fan of the newspapers, as none of them are truly free. They print what they are told to print, by their editors and owners. However, if you are advocating a return to USSR era Prada then I really must disagree.

*Pravda

Bucks

no, not at all , but sometimes taking a step back and publishing the story AFTER the vote/event ... which may be in the interest of the country...

though of course the bonus thorough the short term extra sales for the story will be far reduced

"no, not at all , but sometimes taking a step back and publishing the story AFTER the vote/event ... which may be in the interest of the country...

though of course the bonus thorough the short term extra sales for the story will be far reduced "

I strongly suspect that we wouldn't have got the World Cup if we'd have got Becks to cycle through the vote in his underwear chucking free bottles of his aftershave at them. The programme made it clear that we were never in the running. They just told us that to shut us up, and stop us from investigating the gifts the other countries gave.

We were honest and lost. It had very little to do with the Panorama programme and a lot to do with the depth of the other members pockets.

Regarding the awarding of the World Cup and Fifa corruption, I think the BBC (fucking biased wankers that they are) were caught between a rock and a hard place on this one.

Had they supressed the story to 'assist' the English bid, and we'd won it (fat chance) and then released the story they could have been accused of collusion or found that they had been compromised to such an extent that they couldn't release the story until years later.

It certainly didn't help Prince william, David Beckham and Sir Bobby Charlton who were over there trying to secure the World Cup.

Personally, I won't watch a single minute of the 2018 or the 2022 World Cups. Russia & Qatar ffs. One of the most corrupt countries in the modern world and one of the hottest countries on the planet.

Bucks

"I strongly suspect that we wouldn't have got the World Cup if we'd have got Becks to cycle through the vote in his underwear chucking free bottles of his aftershave at them. The programme made it clear that we were never in the running. They just told us that to shut us up, and stop us from investigating the gifts the other countries gave.

We were honest and lost. It had very little to do with the Panorama programme and a lot to do with the depth of the other members pockets."

guess we should have waited to bid when the ameriac's were next on the FIFA rota ... seeing as how Golden Balls is so pally with the man on the hill

"I strongly suspect that we wouldn't have got the World Cup if we'd have got Becks to cycle through the vote in his underwear chucking free bottles of his aftershave at them. The programme made it clear that we were never in the running. They just told us that to shut us up, and stop us from investigating the gifts the other countries gave.

We were honest and lost. It had very little to do with the Panorama programme and a lot to do with the depth of the other members pockets.

guess we should have waited to bid when the ameriac's were next on the FIFA rota ... seeing as how Golden Balls is so pally with the man on the hill "

america showed quite clearly what they think of us when they promised their vote to our bid and then calmly fucked us over.

Bucks

"It certainly didn't help Prince william, David Beckham and Sir Bobby Charlton who were over there trying to secure the World Cup. "

apologies to all but in one paragraph Wishy has highlighted a cornerstone of the point i was so badly trying to put across

"It certainly didn't help Prince william, David Beckham and Sir Bobby Charlton who were over there trying to secure the World Cup.

apologies to all but in one paragraph Wishy has highlighted a cornerstone of the point i was so badly trying to put across"

But that wasn't all wishy wrote!

"Had they supressed the story to 'assist' the English bid, and we'd won it (fat chance) and then released the story they could have been accused of collusion or found that they had been compromised to such an extent that they couldn't release the story until years later."

It didn't matter when they aired the programme. The UK wasn't going to get it. Blame it on the Beeb as much as you like, but they weren't the reason we didn't get the World Cup. We were never going to get it.

Bucks

"

But that wasn't all wishy wrote!

"

no it wasnt, but as said was an element of what i was trying to get across...

as to whether it influenced the voting result , well , i am of the opinion that it didnt help

» Add a new message to this topic