FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Air Rifles

Air Rifles

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Chris recently repaired the young lad next door but ones air rifle (he was an armourer in forces) the little shit has shot 2 birds off my bird table on my yard ! so I rang chris at work and told him he not impressed and agreed not to help him no more. when I collared the father and said little shit I was told to fuck off. sat here fuming wanting to call police !!!!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

phone the police if the lad is young... hope this helps

Air Guns & Young Persons.

Persons under the age of 14 can only use an air gun whilst under the direct supervision and control of someone over the age of 21, whilst on private property with the permission of the owner of the premises. A person aged between 14 and 18 can use an air gun on private property with the owners permission, without supervision. They may not possess an air rifle or air pistol in a public place even if it is in a securely fastened gun cover so that it cannot be fired. An air rifle or air pistol can only be carried in a public place by someone over 18, and it must be unloaded and in a securely fastened case.

Public Places & Highways.

You cannot carry an air gun in a public place without proper reason for doing so, e.g. travelling to and from a place where you have the right to shoot. The gun must be unloaded, and in a case which is securely fastened. A gun is loaded if there is a pellet or any form of projectile in it, including a magazine. The magazine must not be in the gun and it must be empty for the gun to be unloaded.

It is an offence to fire an airgun within 50 feet of the centre of a public highway. This applies even if you are on private property adjacent to the highway. Public highways include roads, bridleways and public footpaths.

i would say call the police if the childs father isn't going to give him clear peramiters of behaviour with his gun then you are clearly doing the right thing involving the police

good on you for being prepaired to too many turn a blind eye

Report them to the RSPCA. If this child has no problem shooting harmless birds, I'd guess he wouldn't worry too much about shooting any other creature - cat, dog, human etc.

"Report them to the RSPCA. If this child has no problem shooting harmless birds, I'd guess he wouldn't worry too much about shooting any other creature - cat, dog, human etc."

excellent point

My advice to you is the next time shoots a bird buy a air rifle yourself and shoot his eyes

My son was picked up by the police because he had a loaded air pistol. It was a clear plastic hand gun with a couple of yellow plastic ball type pellets stuck in the workings of it. It was a spring loaded one not a gas cartridge propellant. He and his friends had a hands-up shoot-em-up at the local play-park.

He was 12 yrs old carrying what I thought was a 'toy' yet he was charged under the firearms act and faced appearing before the children's panel. The police took the 'gun' into evidence and destroyed it after a few months.

he has shot from his own back yard....at birds feeding on a bird table I have put up and killed them. Just been to see the mum of the child and got an appology...whilst the dad was clearly seething at me behind her back. he is 14 so if they say he was under supervision its legal I think. Told them I am prepared to call police and am waitin for chris to get home. lets see em stand up to a royal marine and see how cocky they are.... gettin calmer....still not happy

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

"My son was picked up by the police because he had a loaded air pistol. It was a clear plastic hand gun with a couple of yellow plastic ball type pellets stuck in the workings of it. It was a spring loaded one not a gas cartridge propellant. He and his friends had a hands-up shoot-em-up at the local play-park.

He was 12 yrs old carrying what I thought was a 'toy' yet he was charged under the firearms act and faced appearing before the children's panel. The police took the 'gun' into evidence and destroyed it after a few months. "

That is frikin insane

He is also not allowed under law to shoot beyond the limits of the private property he has permission to use. So if he shoots a bird in his garden, he can't be touched, however if he shoots a bird in your garden he has committed a criminal offence.

[Removed by poster at 21/05/12 15:44:50]

"My son was picked up by the police because he had a loaded air pistol. It was a clear plastic hand gun with a couple of yellow plastic ball type pellets stuck in the workings of it. It was a spring loaded one not a gas cartridge propellant. He and his friends had a hands-up shoot-em-up at the local play-park.

He was 12 yrs old carrying what I thought was a 'toy' yet he was charged under the firearms act and faced appearing before the children's panel. The police took the 'gun' into evidence and destroyed it after a few months.

That is frikin insane "

Tell me about it! I mistakenly thought that all toy guns have a bright red plastic piece on the end of the barrel to enable one to see immediately that they ARE a replica or toy .... I was wrong according to the police and he was a mini terrorist in the making.

If they say he was supervised, the parents will also be responsible for what happened.

Should the police not do anything, you can be sure the RSPCA will!

On a random note, as the "pellet" was intentionally shot into your garden, the boy has trespassed on your land.

he stood in his own rear garden...shot across our joint neighbour yard at a bird table in my garden. He admitted doing it and thought was funny and was pleased with himself for being a good shot.... dad was prob angry as I did call him a little shit but I dont think he new what had happened until he heard it from me. chris is home at 4...so will leave it to him...as he asked to deal with it. thankyou all for support xxx

If the kid fired into your back garden or across it its a criminal offence under the firearm act and the police would be very interested to at very least have a little chat with the lad and if the father or the lad want to be silly about it the police could take it a lot further under the firearms act

Report him anyway it could stop a person being injured in the future

OUTCOME, Chris has spoken to the parents and bird murderer, he pointed out how serious it is shooting across 2 boundarys. killing songbirds is illegal as they are not legally classed as vermin like rats and pidgeons are. The dad was much more repentant when confronted with possibly dealing with the police. chris gave the boy a telescopic sight which he has taken back as he says he was misusing it. we agreed not to call police if they agree not to allow son to use his rifle alone. hopefully a lesson learnt...... chris was going to teach him how to target shoot as well thats now not happening either. happier now

"OUTCOME, Chris has spoken to the parents and bird murderer, he pointed out how serious it is shooting across 2 boundarys. killing songbirds is illegal as they are not legally classed as vermin like rats and pidgeons are. The dad was much more repentant when confronted with possibly dealing with the police. chris gave the boy a telescopic sight which he has taken back as he says he was misusing it. we agreed not to call police if they agree not to allow son to use his rifle alone. hopefully a lesson learnt...... chris was going to teach him how to target shoot as well thats now not happening either. happier now "

A good outcome and a lesson learnt by the kid and parents hopefully.

"he has shot from his own back yard....at birds feeding on a bird table I have put up and killed them. Just been to see the mum of the child and got an appology...whilst the dad was clearly seething at me behind her back. he is 14 so if they say he was under supervision its legal I think. Told them I am prepared to call police and am waitin for chris to get home. lets see em stand up to a royal marine and see how cocky they are.... gettin calmer....still not happy "

All these kinds of incidents need to be reported to the police and you should obtain an incident number.

Although they may not take action the first time, they may offer to go round and "have a word".

The more the stats stack up the more seriously they take the problem. So you need to get those incident numbers.

i use to own a fac air rifle and only shot on the land i had permission to.

never should you be pointing it into someone elses property and firing.

and shouldnt be aiming it up at trees to shoot birds either.

when i was showing my nephew how to shoot in the back garden with his standard air rifle i made a pellet trap and had paper targets with backings which trapped the pellets.

handling the weapon and using the safety all the time was drummed into him.

these things can kill and should be handled with respect.

"i use to own a fac air rifle and only shot on the land i had permission to.

never should you be pointing it into someone elses property and firing.

and shouldnt be aiming it up at trees to shoot birds either.

when i was showing my nephew how to shoot in the back garden with his standard air rifle i made a pellet trap and had paper targets with backings which trapped the pellets.

handling the weapon and using the safety all the time was drummed into him.

these things can kill and should be handled with respect."

AGREED mate, I intended takin the kid under my wing and teaching him how to use his rifle safely and legally. now doin sod all with him, chris

If the little shit does it again - contact Ashley Cole - he's got a good track record with air rifles and youngsters!

"If the little shit does it again - contact Ashley Cole - he's got a good track record with air rifles and youngsters! "

Im sure that wud do my FAC application no end of good lol... the kids lucky to be alive chels was as mad as mad jack mc mad on mad sunday.

By *ove2-shareCouple  over a year ago

South Gloucestershire

That is frikin insane

Tell me about it! I mistakenly thought that all toy guns have a bright red plastic piece on the end of the barrel to enable one to see immediately that they ARE a replica or toy .... I was wrong according to the police and he was a mini terrorist in the making. "

All in all i'd say that was a good resolution,it firmly sets down what is unacceptable, lets them know that any such recurrences will involve the law whilst avoiding stupid neighbour animosity. Well done guys.

of course, if 5 years from now hes up on a belltower screaming `the bastards wouldnt teach me to shoot ill show em' Ill take back everything i said

"of course, if 5 years from now hes up on a belltower screaming `the bastards wouldnt teach me to shoot ill show em' Ill take back everything i said"

I thought he would be shouting "ESMERELDA" lol

By *ove2-shareCouple  over a year ago

South Gloucestershire

"of course, if 5 years from now hes up on a belltower screaming `the bastards wouldnt teach me to shoot ill show em' Ill take back everything i said

I thought he would be shouting "ESMERELDA" lol "

aah quasimodo now he rings a bell

By *am sampsonMan  over a year ago

cwmbran

Is it not the RSPB it should be reported to not the RSCPA

By *uckscouple2007Couple  over a year ago

Bucks

"Chris recently repaired the young lad next door but ones air rifle (he was an armourer in forces) the little shit has shot 2 birds off my bird table on my yard ! so I rang chris at work and told him he not impressed and agreed not to help him no more. when I collared the father and said little shit I was told to fuck off. sat here fuming wanting to call police !!!! "

were they pigeons?

have often wanted to acquire an AR so to get rid of the vermin

no 2 yellow hammers....... pidgeons are classed as vermin like rats are ...also magpies rooks crows....but it illegal to shoot songbirds

lets hope he dont get a barret off his grandma for xmas ,, i loved my webley air rifle as a kid and moved on to more powerful toys with 40 cdo in the mid 80's ,,

By *un_JuiceCouple  over a year ago

Nr Chester

Glad it was amicably resolved. They should both offered you the same respect as Chris mind.

"lets hope he dont get a barret off his grandma for xmas ,, i loved my webley air rifle as a kid and moved on to more powerful toys with 40 cdo in the mid 80's ,,"

Chris was 42 commando lol... possibly u met or know him.

The repercussions of what he has done will probably not end with the death of two birds. It is currently hatching season and young birds need both parents giving them a constant supply of food to survive.

Typical clutch of say three eggs - total killing not two birds, but more likely eight.

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

I work for the Local Authority and we are not allowed to do anything that disturbs any nesting birds from the 1st March until the 1st August as this has been the time declared when birds will be nesting. This extends to farms as well and is colloquially called the hedge cutting ban. The law would equally apply to anyone disturbing nesting birds. As for reptiles ... don`t go there! At the last count it was a fine of £1,000 for each animal killed or injured. Not sure what the penalties for killing birds is.

» Add a new message to this topic