FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > First message

First message

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

So I’ve worked in a role supporting many people to communicate in different was, communication is often difficult for people from all walks of life, hence why I’m probably a lot softer than some people on here with regard to first messages. I always give people a chance as that first message is so nerve racking and doesn’t come across like intended.

Text messaging cannot accurately convey tone, emotion, facial expressions, gestures, body language, eye contact, oral speech, or face-to-face conversation, it is likely messages will be misunderstood.

Do you automatically dismiss people and their efforts based on a first message? I know many people get 100s of messages a day and it can be hard to keep up, but I’m interested to know how quick you are to judge someone merely based on a first message? Do you delete the “hi” or “you look beautiful”?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

We state on our profile the message needs to be interesting and we don't reply to hi etc.

We don't like to waste our time as we know the conversation will be one sided having been there and entertained it before. Different strokes for different folks, but not for us.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I'm harsh. If I can't tell they've read my profile, I don't reply. Period.

I am pretty ruthless I am afraid. Especially if the message indicates they havent taken time to read what I wrote. Not that the re is much to read currently, but based on my previous profile content.. I dont feel I need to owe them a courtesy of reply if they havent suffered through my blurb.

By *SAchickWoman  over a year ago

Hillside desolate

It depends really, have they attached pictures to the message that I find attractive? I'd take that into account. I'd also look at the profile and see what effort has gone in there before I decide to reply. I don't mind short "Hi" type messages if there's something else to draw me in, and the ensuing conversation doesn't remain at the one word answer stage.

If I like the look of the profile I respond in kind really, they say hi how are you I say I'm great hows you... if theirs is more in depth then so is my response.

Also I wouldnt say I am judging. I am just being selective, respectful of my own time and the other persons too in a way. Not igniting false Hopes.

"I'm harsh. If I can't tell they've read my profile, I don't reply. Period."

But what if they have read but struggle to communicate this to you in the first message?

"We state on our profile the message needs to be interesting and we don't reply to hi etc.

We don't like to waste our time as we know the conversation will be one sided having been there and entertained it before. Different strokes for different folks, but not for us. "

So you have tried previously with the “hi” messages?

By *rad110Man  over a year ago

rayliegh

Ok so conversations to start somewhere so if people are nice !! Hi how are u i thinks fine why fucking write the spanish inquisition ???

"It depends really, have they attached pictures to the message that I find attractive? I'd take that into account. I'd also look at the profile and see what effort has gone in there before I decide to reply. I don't mind short "Hi" type messages if there's something else to draw me in, and the ensuing conversation doesn't remain at the one word answer stage. "

"If I like the look of the profile I respond in kind really, they say hi how are you I say I'm great hows you... if theirs is more in depth then so is my response."

"I'm harsh. If I can't tell they've read my profile, I don't reply. Period.

But what if they have read but struggle to communicate this to you in the first message? "

Its not rocket science is it? All you have to do is write "I've read your profile..."

"Also I wouldnt say I am judging. I am just being selective, respectful of my own time and the other persons too in a way. Not igniting false Hopes. "

Do y feel that by replying to a message you are giving someone hope?

"We state on our profile the message needs to be interesting and we don't reply to hi etc.

We don't like to waste our time as we know the conversation will be one sided having been there and entertained it before. Different strokes for different folks, but not for us.

So you have tried previously with the “hi” messages? "

We have done, but it's boring and doesn't lead anywhere. We prefer people to pay an interest in our profile and send us something related as we would do if we sent them a message. I.e. We see you've been here or done this, we enjoy XZY too, that type of thing

So you have tried previously with the “hi” messages?

We have done, but it's boring and doesn't lead anywhere. We prefer people to pay an interest in our profile and send us something related as we would do if we sent them a message. I.e. We see you've been here or done this, we enjoy XZY too, that type of thing"

But what if they have read but struggle to communicate this to you in the first message? .

Its not rocket science is it? All you have to do is write "I've read your profile...""

No it’s not rocket science to many but some people do really struggle and I’m just seeing what people’s opinions are. And also interested from a professional point of view.

By *ulldog_71Man  over a year ago

Sedgefield

I'll let you know when a woman sends me a message without me contacting them first lol

rayliegh

Its very very different for men trust me it gets hard work in the end message message message thats why they get short !!!

"Also I wouldnt say I am judging. I am just being selective, respectful of my own time and the other persons too in a way. Not igniting false Hopes.

Do y feel that by replying to a message you are giving someone hope? "

Often sadly yes. As mentioned throughout the forum it is frequently seen as a green light to engage in a further conversation when I dont wish to go into reasons of saying no thank you or replying to all compliments. Gosh sounds so stuck up.. but it is just a survival strategy to be able to enjoy my experience here the way I want to. My profile is very clear and people still message asking for things... I find it hard to be soft and tolerate "Hi" texts, when someone ignores the clear message I sent out in my strap line and profile. I understand there are people who find writing more of a challenge, but one of my criteria on here would be engaging with someone who is articulate, who inspires me with words, who corrects my English too! As I want to learn more and evolve my writing skills. I do like a good read too..

Saying all that I admire your ability to look beyond that first message and be more welcoming and encouraging than myself

rayliegh

"I'll let you know when a woman sends me a message without me contacting them first lol"
so true lol

Manchester (she/her)

But what if they have read but struggle to communicate this to you in the first message? .

Its not rocket science is it? All you have to do is write "I've read your profile...""

No, because that's often a lie. Show, don't tell.

Talk about something in my profile. It's a target rich environment!

I'll speak from past experiences on other sites and apps I've used as I am new here.

The problem, as other mentioned, comes when you feel like the conversation is dragged. You get to a point where you know that a chat that starts with a simple "Hi" will probably lead to nothing, so you tend to ignore it entirely.

Eveyone is kind enough to help out and message those "Hi"s back, but after a while it gets tiring.

"Also I wouldnt say I am judging. I am just being selective, respectful of my own time and the other persons too in a way. Not igniting false Hopes.

Do y feel that by replying to a message you are giving someone hope?

Often sadly yes. As mentioned throughout the forum it is frequently seen as a green light to engage in a further conversation when I dont wish to go into reasons of saying no thank you or replying to all compliments. Gosh sounds so stuck up.. but it is just a survival strategy to be able to enjoy my experience here the way I want to. My profile is very clear and people still message asking for things... I find it hard to be soft and tolerate "Hi" texts, when someone ignores the clear message I sent out in my strap line and profile. I understand there are people who find writing more of a challenge, but one of my criteria on here would be engaging with someone who is articulate, who inspires me with words, who corrects my English too! As I want to learn more and evolve my writing skills. I do like a good read too..

Saying all that I admire your ability to look beyond that first message and be more welcoming and encouraging than myself

"

Not stuck up, Honest and that’s good. And I understand from both angles, I think! X

"I'll let you know when a woman sends me a message without me contacting them first lol"

That is a whole different thread!

It makes me chuckle, when it's the obvious copy n paste message, which do ignore n delete, telling me my eyes look beautiful in my profile pic lol, it's my chest, n 9 times out of 10 I'm right with that decision as it gets sent agai. The exact same message a couple days later. Lord knows why but I get a rediculous amount of messages, so I do have to get through them quickly, but cannot stand the ones where they send a second straight after, n I read them then they send another n another begging n then another saying obviously not for you then, n then sometimes I get abuse for teasing then I hit the block button lol x

"It makes me chuckle, when it's the obvious copy n paste message, which do ignore n delete, telling me my eyes look beautiful in my profile pic lol, it's my chest, n 9 times out of 10 I'm right with that decision as it gets sent agai. The exact same message a couple days later. Lord knows why but I get a rediculous amount of messages, so I do have to get through them quickly, but cannot stand the ones where they send a second straight after, n I read them then they send another n another begging n then another saying obviously not for you then, n then sometimes I get abuse for teasing then I hit the block button lol x"

Of course and I would do the exact same in that situation. But do you reply to the standard “Hi” messages

rayliegh

Just hi yes i would if some said hello to you say in a bar or shop would u ignore them ?

"Just hi yes i would if some said hello to you say in a bar or shop would u ignore them ? "

No I definitely wouldn’t! I smile at everyone and say hello all the time!

rayliegh

So why on here is hi so bad ??

By *affeine DuskMan  over a year ago

Caerphilly

"Ok so conversations to start somewhere so if people are nice !! Hi how are u i thinks fine why fucking write the spanish inquisition ??? "

Because they won't expect that.

By *eliciousladyWoman  over a year ago

Sometimes U.K

"Ok so conversations to start somewhere so if people are nice !! Hi how are u i thinks fine why fucking write the spanish inquisition ??? "

How much thought and sincerity has gone into those 4 words? None.

There is a middle ground without the need to write a novel..

By *uriousscouserWoman  over a year ago

Wirral

It depends. If there's something I interesting in their profile then I would probably reply. If their profile is "fill in later" then it just smacks of total laziness and I probably wouldn't respond.

Sometimes if someone sends "hi, how are you?" and there's nothing in their profile for me to hang a conversation on I'll just send back "Grand ta". Guarantee no further response, then a few weeks later I'll get another "hi, how are you" because they're just blanket messaging every vagina on the site.

rayliegh

Im fine thankyou how are u is that really that hard

Manchester (she/her)

"Just hi yes i would if some said hello to you say in a bar or shop would u ignore them ? "

No, but it's not the same.

Wirral

"Im fine thankyou how are u is that really that hard "

After the first hundred it gets very old. Yes, it really is that hard.

Yep I pretty much ignore and delete all hi’s, heys, you’re hot, can I suck your dick? messages. We won’t have anything in common.

By *oxy_minxWoman  over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

I'm very quick to judge, I'll be honest, I read their profile first, if their message is asking something that could easily be gleamed from my profile, then I am out! If they can't be arsed to read, then neither can I to answer.

By *ily WhiteWoman  over a year ago

?

I don't even read messages unless I find that person attractive from their pictures, and not a douchebag from the contents of their profile, so it really doesn't matter what they write (and yes, I know I'm shallow, but I have lots of friends to talk to and I'm not going to shag someone that I don't find attractive).

Manchester (she/her)

"Im fine thankyou how are u is that really that hard

After the first hundred it gets very old. Yes, it really is that hard."

And when you know that 40-70% will treat any response as you spreading your legs... Nope, not doing it.

fascinating

rayliegh

Because women have so much choice on here thats why !!!!

Just to be clear, I’m not judging anyone or saying what I think is right or wrong. I find it very interesting to see how people respond. I do also have my limits when it comes to unwanted messages.

Manchester (she/her)

"Because women have so much choice on here thats why !!!! "

I'd delete even if I didn't.

rayliegh

"Just to be clear, I’m not judging anyone or saying what I think is right or wrong. I find it very interesting to see how people respond. I do also have my limits when it comes to unwanted messages. "
well block men !!! Then you can find them a easy

rayliegh

"Because women have so much choice on here thats why !!!!

I'd delete even if I didn't."

rubbish sorry try getting 2 a week

If it's clear they haven't read my profile, I definitely do not answer. Same if it's a one word or two word answer. Or if it's copy paste.

Then I check their profile and if I like it, I reply. There are rare occasions where I reply because they've said something funny etc.

"Just to be clear, I’m not judging anyone or saying what I think is right or wrong. I find it very interesting to see how people respond. I do also have my limits when it comes to unwanted messages. well block men !!! Then you can find them a easy"

I’m not sure I understand what you mean?

rayliegh

Well if u get so many un wanted messages block men and u will knot simple

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

It really does depend on the first message, from the title, the first couple of lines I can see without opening and a profile review

A simple hi wouldn’t be automatically deleted but a message with a cock pic attached would be.

There’s various things to consider and not just the simple first words

By *oxy_minxWoman  over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

"Because women have so much choice on here thats why !!!! "

Women do not have that much choice! That is the excuse give themselves, that women are looking for adonises, which is complete shite!

All I am looking for is a man that can hold a conversation, that I find interesting and there is something I find attractive about him. I want to like the whole person, sadly a hell of a lot of men do not give stock in that truthful answer and make up that women just want large cocks, whatever gets you through the low self esteem men, is up to you, it is not my place to judge as most of you seem to do

rayliegh

Women do not have that much choice! That is the excuse give themselves, that women are looking for adonises, which is complete shite!

All I am looking for is a man that can hold a conversation, that I find interesting and there is something I find attractive about him. I want to like the whole person, sadly a hell of a lot of men do not give stock in that truthful answer and make up that women just want large cocks, whatever gets you through the low self esteem men, is up to you, it is not my place to judge as most of you seem to do "

no your looking for a young man lol

By *SAchickWoman  over a year ago

Hillside desolate

"Ok so conversations to start somewhere so if people are nice !! Hi how are u i thinks fine why fucking write the spanish inquisition ???

Because they won't expect that. "

By *he Mac LassWoman  over a year ago

Hefty Hideaway

If I'm not intruiged by the profile and message then I don't respond. Means I don't waste my time nor theirs when I'm not interested. I have tried replying with a gentle no thanks but it was more hassle than it was worth.

Theres probably some disparity between volume of messages I'll get compared to couples and women, but it's the same principle.

I've recieved some unexpected capturing introductions and conversation starters, and like everyone else had those rather tedious "Hi wanna chat" messages with nothing to go on.

I guess messages are always subject to discourse, but would you walk up to a stranger in a bar and make no effort, then expect a warm response?

By *herryblossom_BJWoman  over a year ago

Oxfordshire/Hampshire

I may look at their profile but ultimately if its too generic and looks like it wouldn't really go anywhere. I dismiss

By *herryblossom_BJWoman  over a year ago

Oxfordshire/Hampshire

I'm interested in personality not just dick

By *ddictedToLoveMan  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"Ok so conversations to start somewhere so if people are nice !! Hi how are u i thinks fine why fucking write the spanish inquisition ???

How much thought and sincerity has gone into those 4 words? None.

There is a middle ground without the need to write a novel..

"

Sooo send a poem?

rayliegh

"I'm interested in personality not just dick"
girthlover lol.lol

rayliegh

"I'm interested in personality not just dick girthlover lol.lol "
change ya profile me thinks lol x

Wirral

"Well if u get so many un wanted messages block men and u will knot simple "

But then I wouldn't get the great messages that just shine brighter for being buried in a ton of dross.

Easier to just delete the dross and if the senders get butt-hurt well so be it, if they become abusive I can just block.

Manchester (she/her)

I'd delete even if I didn't.rubbish sorry try getting 2 a week "

At the moment I'm getting no new messages and it's glorious.

I can and do choose to do without, even under normal circumstances.

rayliegh

I'd delete even if I didn't.rubbish sorry try getting 2 a week

At the moment I'm getting no new messages and it's glorious.

I can and do choose to do without, even under normal circumstances."

yeah right you would hate getting no!! Messages stop it

Omg. What. The. Fuck.

Is this hell?

Caerphilly

"Omg. What. The. Fuck.

Is this hell? "

Hey Steve.

How r u?

"Omg. What. The. Fuck.

Is this hell?

Hey Steve.

How r u? "

Melting! U?

I often click on the profile before opening the message. If I dont like the profile/they arent what I am looking for, I delete it.

Caerphilly

"Omg. What. The. Fuck.

Is this hell?

Hey Steve.

How r u?

Melting! U? "

Same.

Hell sux, lol.

"Omg. What. The. Fuck.

Is this hell?

Hey Steve.

How r u?

Melting! U?

Same.

Hell sux, lol."

By *ustBoWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

Unless the message has really caught my eye I look at the profile first before I even open the message if I don't like it or they have cheated to get through my filters I usually delete. If the message is nice tho I'll usually send a reply even if it's to say thanks but not interested. Sometimes I dont have time to reply tho.

Men are trash.

Thanks for coming to my ted talk

Manchester (she/her)

"Men are trash.

Thanks for coming to my ted talk "

"It makes me chuckle, when it's the obvious copy n paste message, which do ignore n delete, telling me my eyes look beautiful in my profile pic lol, it's my chest, n 9 times out of 10 I'm right with that decision as it gets sent agai. The exact same message a couple days later. Lord knows why but I get a rediculous amount of messages, so I do have to get through them quickly, but cannot stand the ones where they send a second straight after, n I read them then they send another n another begging n then another saying obviously not for you then, n then sometimes I get abuse for teasing then I hit the block button lol x

Of course and I would do the exact same in that situation. But do you reply to the standard “Hi” messages"

Yes I do, if that person has been kind enough to say Hi, then I reply back. N after a few messages, if this is the case I explain nicely that there not for me but happy to have general chit chat, n quite often they don't reply as they want dirty chat so it works,

» Add a new message to this topic