FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Air Training Corps

Air Training Corps

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Who has been in it. I was in 1471 squadron. Some of the best times of my teenage years being in this great organisation.

Had some bad times when my friend died at RAF Valley when the helicopter wend down.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I remember that. 1993, Wessex crashed into a lake and 3 cadets killed. Sad day indeed..

"I remember that. 1993, Wessex crashed into a lake and 3 cadets killed. Sad day indeed.."

Yes my friend Chris was sadly killed in it. One of my sisters was meant to go on it but went shopping instead

Sorry for your losses....was in Army Cadets myself, led to 23 years in regulars

"Sorry for your losses....was in Army Cadets myself, led to 23 years in regulars"

Great stuff. Hope you enjoyed it and got support after leaving if you needed it.

By *aven RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

I was in the ATC and loved every second of it x

"I was in the ATC and loved every second of it x"

Which squadron was you in. I was Horwich 1471

Do you remember 3822's

"Sorry for your losses....was in Army Cadets myself, led to 23 years in regulars

Great stuff. Hope you enjoyed it and got support after leaving if you needed it. "

Yeah thanks, support not needed to date and would do it all again

I went to Army cadets for just over a year as a teen. Loved it

"I went to Army cadets for just over a year as a teen. Loved it"

Bet you was badass.

I went and it turned out one of our instructors was a nonce. He was shagging the 13 year old girls. He got 17 years last year for it. I then spent 15 years in the military and the cadets are nothing but a hinderance.

"I went and it turned out one of our instructors was a nonce. He was shagging the 13 year old girls. He got 17 years last year for it. I then spent 15 years in the military and the cadets are nothing but a hinderance. "

Cadets are a good taster if you want to be in the forces in later life.

By *ab50Couple  over a year ago

bexhill

Commissioned RAFAC (ATC) officer..

They still have 3822's.

By *ervent_fervourMan  over a year ago

Halifax

I tried it a couple of times as I loved planes and airshows.olusbi loved watching the lightnings do their almost vertical take-off from the nearby base.

But.. I didn't like how they barked at people. And all those drills.

The military is probably better off without me!

No it’s nothing like it. All it does is give new recruits an over inflated sense of self importance that needs breaking early on.

It’s just grown ups bullying kids. Shouting and making them do drill. I can see it being important in times gone by. But it’s a relic nowadays.

By *ervent_fervourMan  over a year ago

Halifax

That's exactly the impression I got.

Glad it's changed.

I was in 1871 squadron. We girls were amongst the first to join in with the boys and become open to both sexes. I remember going on our first camp to RAF Hereford where we had to keep away from the SAS x

"It’s just grown ups bullying kids. Shouting and making them do drill. I can see it being important in times gone by. But it’s a relic nowadays. "

That wasn't my experience. The officers who ran my CCF RAF Section were also our schoolteachers. Drill is an important part of instilling self discipline and team building. I gained an enormous amount of benefits. Overseas travel, camping and the outdoors. My first introductions to shooting and flying. A gliding course, RAF Flying Scholarship (basically a free Private Pilot's Licence). Things that I never would have otherwise been able to do as a teenager.

I was always going to join the military and when I eventually did, that's where I found the real bullying and racism, unfortunately!

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

Sorry for your loss.

I joined the Sea Cadets, missed out on an Articifers commission, due to an injury

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

I loved army cadets and was all set to join the army when I left school, until it was pointed out I’d likely end up sat behind a desk or driving people about.

That is not what I wanted, cadets gave me an unrealistic view that all roles were available to us, as in cadets you weren’t treated any different than the lads

"I loved army cadets and was all set to join the army when I left school, until it was pointed out I’d likely end up sat behind a desk or driving people about.

That is not what I wanted, cadets gave me an unrealistic view that all roles were available to us, as in cadets you weren’t treated any different than the lads "

Would of loved you turning nuts in my fitter section

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan  over a year ago

Aylesbury

I was in 481 West Bromwich Sqn, Staffordshire Wing, Wales and West region. I loved it for the drill and uniform, putty I was bullied out of it by a psychopath who is now a copper.

By *aryukMan  over a year ago

Manchester

I was at Valley when they brought back the wreckage. All the RAF crew survived and one cadet called Sarah.

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan  over a year ago

Aylesbury

"Who has been in it. I was in 1471 squadron. Some of the best times of my teenage years being in this great organisation.

Had some bad times when my friend died at RAF Valley when the helicopter wend down. "

Nothing fun like happened when I was in the atc

I was in the ATC at Brough can't remember the squadron no though

I was in the sea cadets. It was there that I developed a penchant for black nylon popsocks that has stayed with me to this day... (all the wren cadets wore them see)

I was in the ATC in my teens my friends from the army cadets nick named it Arse Tickling Club

I was an Air Cadet and it helped me gain sixth form scholarship which was around 2k if I remember correctly and a university scholarship.

I think it is probably more useful if you are aiming for Officer selection than any other route

But if you have no intent on joining the military then it’s an awesome social club where you get to fly, paraglide go on adventure courses and for me loose my virginity

"I was an Air Cadet and it helped me gain sixth form scholarship which was around 2k if I remember correctly and a university scholarship.

I think it is probably more useful if you are aiming for Officer selection than any other route

But if you have no intent on joining the military then it’s an awesome social club where you get to fly, paraglide go on adventure courses and for me loose my virginity "

Less said the better

"I was at Valley when they brought back the wreckage. All the RAF crew survived and one cadet called Sarah. "

Think she was called Sarah coaker from Bury sqrdn

By *aryukMan  over a year ago

Manchester

"I was at Valley when they brought back the wreckage. All the RAF crew survived and one cadet called Sarah.

Think she was called Sarah coaker from Bury sqrdn"

. Yeah that’s her, couldn’t remember the squadron she was in..

» Add a new message to this topic