FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Car advice - low battery

Car advice - low battery

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *essie. OP   Woman  over a year ago

Serendipity

I went to do my food shop this morning, my car wouldn’t start. Was telling me on the dashboard- drive it to charge battery. Yes I’m trying to I told my car! Anyway after a fair few attempts it did start and I got to the supermarket and back.

I hadn’t used it since Good Friday so just over a week. I’m guessing as it’s alarmed etc, the battery is being drained whilst it’s not used. I didn’t use sound system or fans today to try to minimise what was on. Is there anything else I can do to help ensure it doesn’t get to that stage again?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Tried to message you a website that has really good deals on car batteries and other car parts. I couldn't because of your settings. I can't post on here as of rules. If you send me a message I can send you it. Won't pester with anything else.

By *arisjokerMan  over a year ago

Admaston

If the light isn't on when driving your alternator is working and it will charge up if you give it a good drive say 30 mins a couple of times a week. If that dont work then yup battery could be knackered

If you have the fuel just start it up every day for a few minutes and as soon as you can a longer drive.

Depending on what car it is some do drain the battery and if you had only done short runs possibly it didnt have a full charge so was low before the rest. If it was just low then a drive on a dual carriageway or motorway is best with min lights sterio heater etc on..modern cars do use more electricity than older ones because they generally have lights on all the time etc.

By *rindiMan  over a year ago

chester

You could also buy a solar trickle charger, plugs into cig lighter, sits on dash, charges battery enough to ensure it always starts. Only about 20 quid.

By *dam1971Man  over a year ago

Bedford

If you take it to a garage they can test the battery for you.

Otherwise, it takes about 15 minutes of the engine running to charge it up so try and drive it once a week.

It sounds like the battery is marginal right now, mine has been like that for at least 6 months and it’s fine but one day I’ll turn the key and there will be nothing. If you don’t want to get stuck, get the battery tested and prepare to get a new one soon

By *itonmyfacebookMan  over a year ago

Burton on Trent

"If you have the fuel just start it up every day for a few minutes and as soon as you can a longer drive."

Isn't starting it the equivalent of 15 minutes driving?

By *avenTinaCouple  over a year ago

Southport

"I went to do my food shop this morning, my car wouldn’t start. Was telling me on the dashboard- drive it to charge battery. Yes I’m trying to I told my car! Anyway after a fair few attempts it did start and I got to the supermarket and back.

I hadn’t used it since Good Friday so just over a week. I’m guessing as it’s alarmed etc, the battery is being drained whilst it’s not used. I didn’t use sound system or fans today to try to minimise what was on. Is there anything else I can do to help ensure it doesn’t get to that stage again? "

Garage owner here, if the battery is more than 5 years old it's on its way out and needs replacing, it may be ok if used regularly but if left may go flat, if your leaving it for any length of time get a trickle charger they're not expensive

By *edGrayCouple  over a year ago

Swindon

With not driving the car for a while, the battery will drain, especially with your car having an alarm, the battery will lose power gradually. However, it should still turn over and start after only a week, so your battery may not be recharging fully. This could be because your battery is old and not holding its charge. If you don't know anyone with mechanical expertise your best taking it to a garage for them to check out for you.

By *itonmyfacebookMan  over a year ago

Burton on Trent

"If you take it to a garage they can test the battery for you.

Otherwise, it takes about 15 minutes of the engine running to charge it up so try and drive it once a week.

It sounds like the battery is marginal right now, mine has been like that for at least 6 months and it’s fine but one day I’ll turn the key and there will be nothing. If you don’t want to get stuck, get the battery tested and prepare to get a new one soon"

For anyone it Might be worth checking the connections - where the leads clamp onto the battery. Especially is there's nothing sometimes.

It should be OK for your battery to be left stood for a month or so. If it starts slow after only a week it's your battery, if it clicks its your starter. Turn on your lights, if the lights dim when turning over its your battery, if they stay strong battery is OK. Take it to be tested for free but make sure they show you as its being done so you won't get lied to!

By *0lden0ldieMan  over a year ago

Stewartby

"I went to do my food shop this morning, my car wouldn’t start. Was telling me on the dashboard- drive it to charge battery. Yes I’m trying to I told my car! Anyway after a fair few attempts it did start and I got to the supermarket and back.

I hadn’t used it since Good Friday so just over a week. I’m guessing as it’s alarmed etc, the battery is being drained whilst it’s not used. I didn’t use sound system or fans today to try to minimise what was on. Is there anything else I can do to help ensure it doesn’t get to that stage again? "

I don’t believe the alarm system is draining the battery.

Some things to consider.

How old is the car/battery? Batteries don’t last forever.

Is the surface of the battery clean?

If there is corrosion on the terminals (fluffy white or white/greenish deposit) and dirt between them. If so then this can create a short circuit thus slowly draining the battery over time.

Best to take it to your usual garage or auto electrician who can test the batteries integrity and diagnose any electrical faults.

By *yn drwgMan  over a year ago

Camarthen

"If you have the fuel just start it up every day for a few minutes and as soon as you can a longer drive.

Isn't starting it the equivalent of 15 minutes driving?"

Starting a car requires the initial surge of power so starting it often and not letting it run for a long period will have the opposite affect and drain your battery further, make sure there are no phone chargers or similar plugged in that will drain the battery. I doubt that the battery is finished if it did start but as another had mentioned a trickle charger could be an answer.

Good luck

Older Batteries won’t hold a charge for a long time.

They’re designed to recharge and discharge many times, but just like a phone, they eventually tire, and their ability to sustain a charge diminishes.

If your car is more than a couple of years old, it could be time to change the battery.

But that being said, many batteries will discharge over a period of month without use, but will work perfectly fine once recharged and in constant use

X

Cars do have a parasitic drain on the battery which is the alarm system and newer cars have other things running in the background.

The owners manual does have a section in there about leaving the car for long periods and consult that first if you have a new advanced car before disconnecting the battery.

If you need the car You can run the engine for 20mins to half hour a couple times a week but ideally when possible go on a 30min drive once a week to keep it topped up.

Not having anything on while driving up the road to the shops will make a little bit of a difference but not sure by how much.

On my car as I don’t need it for now and it’s older model, I decided to disconnect the battery. For my auntie who has cancer and is lucky to still receive treatment at this time. on her 2 year old Mercedes I fitted a trickle charger quick disconnect. so all she has to do is turn off the charger and unplug, then simply plug back in and switch on the charger so it gives her peace of mind.

By *essie. OP   Woman  over a year ago

Serendipity

Thanks for all the advice everyone

» Add a new message to this topic