FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Television cord cutting

Television cord cutting

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Not physically but the term used in the US for sacking off your TV provider. Has anyone else done this?

Just thought about it seeing that annoying commercial thread.

I got rid of my TV license and a subscription to Virgin Media cable about 10 years ago now and don't miss it.

Christmas is a weird time as I'm usually locked in mine or my SO's parent's place with "TV" and all the commercials that come with it. It is an intense experience after 12 months without.

I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Mubi and occasionally whatever minor channels Amazon offer. Oh, and Kodi for any hard to find stuff.

ANYONE ELSE??

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *edoriartyCouple  over a year ago

Peterborough

I've been looking at ways of doing it, I like the idea of using one of the US online services via a VPN as I only really watch sports and it's a way of getting them in good quality, I don't find Kodi quality good enough for me. The biggest problem is finding a way to pay for them as they want a credit card that's registered to a US address.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

yes

I do so love the idea of it but it takes some balls in a family home.

I mean, I can go days on end without ya Ben switching it on but I do love radio and I think you still need a tv licence for that.

The kids would probably get used to it after a while.

Without sport I barely watch anything unless we decide to watch a film together.

By *xfordshireCoupleMFCouple  over a year ago

Nr. Oxford

We knocked our TV License on the head last year as we only watch films we own, or Netflix.

Seemed an expensive way of watching 10 minutes of fireworks a year.

"I don't find Kodi quality good enough for me. The biggest problem is finding a way to pay for them as they want a credit card that's registered to a US address."

My experience of Kodi is that it needs to kept on top of regarding updating of streaming software and that a Real Debrid subscription greatly enhances the quality. If you don't know it, there's a subreddit called AddOns4Kodi which is good for that sort of thing.

Outside of the BBC channels and the ITV / 4 / 5 commercial ones, for every hour you watch 25% of it is adverts and they are generally shown around the same time slot so channel hopping just sees more adverts.

I would prefer a subscription model for the BBC with everything binge watchable.

"I do so love the idea of it but it takes some balls in a family home.

I mean, I can go days on end without ya Ben switching it on but I do love radio and I think you still need a tv licence for that.

The kids would probably get used to it after a while.

Without sport I barely watch anything unless we decide to watch a film together.

"

Totally understand that.

Was easier for me as getting rid of TV conveniently coincided with moving out of shared house. Probably wouldn't have happened if I hadn't moved into a place on my own back then.

Just to say, you don't need a TV license to listen to live or streamed radio. 100% certain about that from just googling it

I use a subscription, one stop streams, decent streams

"

Just to say, you don't need a TV license to listen to live or streamed radio. 100% certain about that from just googling it "

Correct ... well almost

You only need a tv license to watch live broadcast television (thats any live broadcast, not just the BBC) or use the BBC iplayer.

So if you use the iplayer to listen to live radio technically you need to pay the license fee.

You do not need a TV license to own a television set.

I would suggest that you remove the iplayer app from any smart tv or smart box and disconnect any terrestrial or satellite cable, better stll remove any aerial / satellite dish.

By *hedevilKTWoman  over a year ago

milton keynes

I’m the opposite I’d be lost without my tv lol

I would get rid of our tv, nobody ever watches it except me for the occasional bbc4 thing but if I could get that stuff on catch up I dont need to watch it live as it were. Or even if I could just get something up would be ok, I sort of just have it for company I dont really need to pay for a licence.

"I would get rid of our tv, nobody ever watches it except me for the occasional bbc4 thing but if I could get that stuff on catch up I dont need to watch it live as it were. Or even if I could just get something up would be ok, I sort of just have it for company I dont really need to pay for a licence. "

As far as i know you can only watch BBC4 catchup via the iplayer in which case you would still have to have a tv license.

» Add a new message to this topic