FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > G 'n' R

G 'n' R

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *isser36 OP   Man  over a year ago

fylde Coast

So am reading a book at the minute called "the last of the giants" by mick wall, and its about Guns n Roses, and I was a massive fan of these guys they pretty much sound tracked my late 80's and 90's I loved them.... And I had no idea just how fucked up that band was, the shit that went on, the drug addiction, Od's, alcohol addiction literally, sex drugs n rock and roll but to the extreme! I think just one of the aftershow party's would have killed me! Slash and Most of the band didn't like axl rose who was on some power trip control vibe stemming from some mental issues.. Its filling me in on a bunch of stuff I never knew, a really interesting read I'd recommend for any G'n'R fan or any band from that era their all in there getting upto similar behaviour!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *lapheadsiMan  over a year ago

southend

Cool Mick wall knows his stuff

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I've read it, it is very interesting. Slash's autobiography also a good read. It's a wonder at least one of them isn't dead...very glad they have survived...makes you wonder how the reunion worked...but it seems to have

fylde Coast

Yeah I'd like to read slash biography, I think that will flesh out the relationships in the bad more, and I can't believe one or more of them isn't dead! I think a few of them died briefly due to od's over the years but got lucky having people around who knew what to do!

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

They were cool back in the 80's, my ex used to love them

fylde Coast

"They were cool back in the 80's, my ex used to love them "

First time I got blind d*unk was listening to these guys, mid 90's I think... drinking skol and woodpecker cider haha good times.

By *etitesaraTV/TS  over a year ago

rochdale

There's a story about them supporting Aerosmith on a US tour when they were up & coming.

Apparently they turned up at Aerosmiths dressing room after the show with loads of drugs & booze, only to find Tyler & the rest drinking herbal tea etc.

When questioned why they weren't partying, Joe Perry replied "we stopped doing that shit 10yrs ago, it's why we're still alive"

southend

The aerosmith autobiography is good as is lemmys

By *ink flamingoWoman  over a year ago

essex

"So am reading a book at the minute called "the last of the giants" by mick wall, and its about Guns n Roses, and I was a massive fan of these guys they pretty much sound tracked my late 80's and 90's I loved them.... And I had no idea just how fucked up that band was, the shit that went on, the drug addiction, Od's, alcohol addiction literally, sex drugs n rock and roll but to the extreme! I think just one of the aftershow party's would have killed me! Slash and Most of the band didn't like axl rose who was on some power trip control vibe stemming from some mental issues.. Its filling me in on a bunch of stuff I never knew, a really interesting read I'd recommend for any G'n'R fan or any band from that era their all in there getting upto similar behaviour! "

I’ve always been a big fan but my daughter even more so. My beautiful grandson is called Axel....she really is a massive fan

fylde Coast

"There's a story about them supporting Aerosmith on a US tour when they were up & coming.

Apparently they turned up at Aerosmiths dressing room after the show with loads of drugs & booze, only to find Tyler & the rest drinking herbal tea etc.

When questioned why they weren't partying, Joe Perry replied "we stopped doing that shit 10yrs ago, it's why we're still alive""

Yeah it caused friction between the bands because Aerosmith were tee total at that point having nearly killed them selves with class a addiction so they made the contract state they had to have seperate dressing rooms as far apart as possible and couldn't drink or do drugs in their presence!... Obviously it didn't stop them. Haha

southend

My son is named after a.c. dc

By *belfastcpleCouple  over a year ago

Belfast

Gutted that their concert will be cancelled in June

"Gutted that their concert will be cancelled in June "

It's looking likely, unfortunately

By *osie xWoman  over a year ago

wolverhampton

Loved GnR but hated Axl (sorry to the lovers) so Velvet Revolver was a win win for me.

RIP Scott.

southend

Saw velvet revolver a couple of times great band

"Loved GnR but hated Axl (sorry to the lovers) so Velvet Revolver was a win win for me.

RIP Scott. "

Velvet Revolver were a great band, such a shame about Scott.

By *hatYorkLadMan  over a year ago

York

Not read the book but saw them in London a couple of years back as well as following the band on Instagram, and have to say Axl looks the happiest he has in a long time and his performances are back up to a high standard. I'm guessing he's finally dealt with some of his anger and mental issues.

"And I had no idea just how fucked up that band was, the shit that went on, the drug addiction, Od's, alcohol addiction literally, sex drugs n rock and roll but to the extreme!"

This doesn't surprise me coming from the band that released an album as hard as Appetite for Destruction.

Sonically, much heavier bands but that record has so much teeth to it.

I've seen them twice. You can say what you want about Axl but he's still a great singer. If you haven't already, check out Chinese Democracy. It's not a brilliant album but songs such as Better, Sorry and This I Love stand up to their classic early stuff.

Though Axel had the voice he was and still is a prima Donna. .always thought himself greater than the rest of the band. I love their musice but never saw them live on account Axel was notorious for walking off stage or turning up late or not at all. Great band, great music but totally dysfunctional

My first proper gig was gnr at Wembley stadium back in '92. Soundgarden and faith no more in support. Love the band.

By *ncemoreroundthesunCouple  over a year ago

A town and place not in the UK

I saw them twice, such a great band. Would second slashes book as a great read, and if you want some more incredible rock biographies try:

Dave Mustaine and Al Jourgensen, both equally and .

By *orksRockerMan  over a year ago

Bradford

Seen them twice too, one at Manchester City was appallingly bad. Came on over an hour late and played a VERY short set because of a curfew at 11:00

The next time was at Milton Keynes and I only went because they were supported by The Cult who I really wanted to see. On that bill was Billy Idol too who I wasn't that fussed about.

And that gig, and all three killed it. Billy was a surprise and really great, Cult were on top form and GnR were brilliant and were on just over 2hrs.

Think they must have got along that day.

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

Should have been massive in the late 80's 90's (getting the Rolling Stones support slot was one example). Unfortunately Axl Rose was unreliable and notorious for coming on stage late. Their comeback tour was very well attended though so all credit to them.

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan  over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

"Yeah I'd like to read slash biography, I think that will flesh out the relationships in the bad more, and I can't believe one or more of them isn't dead! I think a few of them died briefly due to od's over the years but got lucky having people around who knew what to do! "

I have Slashes autobiography and it does explain the bands relationship with each other .

Glad they all resolved their differences

"Loved GnR but hated Axl (sorry to the lovers) so Velvet Revolver was a win win for me.

RIP Scott. "

I was a massive GNR fan saw axl and his hired guns in 2010 at m.e. Arena they were good but it to me was not the real gnr. I was and still am a massive STP fan loved Scott and sad at his demise. Loved VR too

By *hromosexualsCouple  over a year ago

Near Abercynon

We saw them in Prague in 2018 and were planning to see them in Munich at the end of May, great band.

By *ryingitout19Man  over a year ago

Wales

Try reading The Dirt: Confessions of the worlds most notorious rock band. It’s a collaborative autobiography of Motley Crue. Insane!!

By *avhonaWoman  over a year ago

Away with the faeries

"So am reading a book at the minute called "the last of the giants" by mick wall, and its about Guns n Roses, and I was a massive fan of these guys they pretty much sound tracked my late 80's and 90's I loved them.... And I had no idea just how fucked up that band was, the shit that went on, the drug addiction, Od's, alcohol addiction literally, sex drugs n rock and roll but to the extreme! I think just one of the aftershow party's would have killed me! Slash and Most of the band didn't like axl rose who was on some power trip control vibe stemming from some mental issues.. Its filling me in on a bunch of stuff I never knew, a really interesting read I'd recommend for any G'n'R fan or any band from that era their all in there getting upto similar behaviour! "

That sounds wild..I bet it's an interesting read.

Would you say it's changed the way you enjoy their music? Or would you say that your awareness of their behaviour can be judgement-free when you listen to their stuff now?

fylde Coast

"So am reading a book at the minute called "the last of the giants" by mick wall, and its about Guns n Roses, and I was a massive fan of these guys they pretty much sound tracked my late 80's and 90's I loved them.... And I had no idea just how fucked up that band was, the shit that went on, the drug addiction, Od's, alcohol addiction literally, sex drugs n rock and roll but to the extreme! I think just one of the aftershow party's would have killed me! Slash and Most of the band didn't like axl rose who was on some power trip control vibe stemming from some mental issues.. Its filling me in on a bunch of stuff I never knew, a really interesting read I'd recommend for any G'n'R fan or any band from that era their all in there getting upto similar behaviour!

That sounds wild..I bet it's an interesting read.

Would you say it's changed the way you enjoy their music? Or would you say that your awareness of their behaviour can be judgement-free when you listen to their stuff now?"

I'd say I definitely understand the lyrics better now knowing the context in which they were written and some of the things they refer to... I really never knew just how fucked up they were as people, drugs, alcohol and definitely mental issues. It's got me listening to them again I will say that, Really listening!

» Add a new message to this topic