FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > It Warms The Heart

It Warms The Heart

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"....A university cleaner has graduated with a degree in classics after combining his work duties with a study programme for 14 years.

Gac Filipaj, 52, was feted by fellow students and dons at Columbia University as he received the award 20 years after he fled war-torn Yugoslavia.

When he arrived in New York in 1992 he could not speak English and spent the next five years learning the language.

His role as a cleaner at the prestigious Ivy League university meant he qualified for free study hours and was able to work on getting a degree.

"This is the proudest moment of my life," he told colleagues as he graduated.

"The way I was educated in my family was to not seek fortune or fame, but to live a simple, honest and honourable life.

"I asked people 'which are the best schools in New York?' So I went to Columbia to see if I could get a job."

University bosses paid tribute to his hard graft and spirit, hailing his achievement as "one of the great stories here".

"He didn't just study alongside Columbia University students, he competed with them," said Professor Peter J Awn.

"He is immensely humble and grateful, but he's one individual who makes his own future.

"This is a man with great pride, whether he is doing custodial work or academic work."

Mr Filipaj's graduation comes after years of completing 10-hour shifts as late as 11pm and only then opening the books to begin his academic work.

He still sends part of his \$22-per-hour pay back to his brother and family in Montenegro.

"The richness is in me, in my heart and in my head, not in my pocket," he told reporters.

He now intends to step up his academic work with a view to getting a Masters degree.

..."

It's enough to warm the old cockles and make u well up

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

""....A university cleaner has graduated with a degree in classics after combining his work duties with a study programme for 14 years.

Gac Filipaj, 52, was feted by fellow students and dons at Columbia University as he received the award 20 years after he fled war-torn Yugoslavia.

When he arrived in New York in 1992 he could not speak English and spent the next five years learning the language.

His role as a cleaner at the prestigious Ivy League university meant he qualified for free study hours and was able to work on getting a degree.

"This is the proudest moment of my life," he told colleagues as he graduated.

"The way I was educated in my family was to not seek fortune or fame, but to live a simple, honest and honourable life.

"I asked people 'which are the best schools in New York?' So I went to Columbia to see if I could get a job."

University bosses paid tribute to his hard graft and spirit, hailing his achievement as "one of the great stories here".

"He didn't just study alongside Columbia University students, he competed with them," said Professor Peter J Awn.

"He is immensely humble and grateful, but he's one individual who makes his own future.

"This is a man with great pride, whether he is doing custodial work or academic work."

Mr Filipaj's graduation comes after years of completing 10-hour shifts as late as 11pm and only then opening the books to begin his academic work.

He still sends part of his \$22-per-hour pay back to his brother and family in Montenegro.

"The richness is in me, in my heart and in my head, not in my pocket," he told reporters.

He now intends to step up his academic work with a view to getting a Masters degree.

..."

It's enough to warm the old cockles and make u well up "

Isnt there a film along those lines?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Thanks for posting this Stu, it did warm my cockles.

"Thanks for posting this Stu, it did warm my cockles. "

sorry i wasn't there to warm them for u laine

Isnt there a film along those lines?

Matt Damon sprung to mind now you mention it.

Living the american dream...in the land off the free and the home off the brave.... seriously well done, I imagine all those who past him by enroute and belittled him will be humbled x

"Isnt there a film along those lines?

Matt Damon sprung to mind now you mention it."

Don't remember his portrayal of Bourne having him cleaning at a uni??

"Thanks for posting this Stu, it did warm my cockles.

sorry i wasn't there to warm them for u laine "

Tutttt !!!! you are getting very lax in your cockle-warming duties ..... I'm launching the row-boat ..... will be there in a few days if the tides are right.

Matt Damon sprung to mind now you mention it."

I cant remember, but it just sounded familiar...

Well done that guy anyway.

Tutttt !!!! you are getting very lax in your cockle-warming duties ..... I'm launching the row-boat ..... will be there in a few days if the tides are right. "

few days ffs....takes the ferry nearly 15 hours on a good day

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

That did just give me a warm feeling, thanks Stu

**nips to toilet to check, just in case**

Don't remember his portrayal of Bourne having him cleaning at a uni?? "

Good Will hunting! he was a janitor in that who was a maths genius.

Tutttt !!!! you are getting very lax in your cockle-warming duties ..... I'm launching the row-boat ..... will be there in a few days if the tides are right.

few days ffs....takes the ferry nearly 15 hours on a good day "

Ferry-shmerry. Did Grace Darling balk at the thought? I'll have my porridge before I set off.

... You bake some scones and the delicious smell of them and the bleach will be my guide to you.

few days ffs....takes the ferry nearly 15 hours on a good day

Ferry-shmerry. Did Grace Darling balk at the thought? I'll have my porridge before I set off.

... You bake some scones and the delicious smell of them and the bleach will be my guide to you. "

ROFL......how'd u know I had just bleached all the floors????

Don't remember his portrayal of Bourne having him cleaning at a uni??

Good Will hunting! he was a janitor in that who was a maths genius. "

Well done that girl!

» Add a new message to this topic