FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Pocket money

Pocket money

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

After reading the thread on stickers I think I am really strict with my kids on this.

If they want magazines or stickers etc then they have to buy them out of pocket money that is earned by doing various jobs around the house...

The youngest gets £3, but she can earn a bonus for her excellent work at school.

The older 3 get £5 but do get bonuses too..

but they have to buy what they want from that. and save up if they want something bigger..

So what do you do??

Cali

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

i have to be honest i've always been really soft with my kid

Mine never did jobs round the house to get money, they got pocket money and i hoped they did jobs to help me not to earn money

My eldest are 18 and 20 and i still provide everything for them, i have always told them so long as they stay in education i would support them and even tho both have part time job as well as collage and uni i still dont take a penny off them and i buy their clothes, shoes and even pay their phone contracts, ive always been soft with them but they have turned out into nice young ladies and so long as they stay in education i will continue to do so

My youngest is 11 and she gets £10 in her hand every week but i still get her stuff if we go out shopping, to be honest im not even sure why i give her pocket money as i just by what she wants

If i was ever in a possition where i couldnt afford to do this i suppose i would be telling them they have to buy their own stuff with what money they earn and tell my youngest to save for what she wants but i cant see the point in seeing then short if i dont have to

if mummy says no.... ask grandma ... if that fails ... ask grandad

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"if mummy says no.... ask grandma ... if that fails ... ask grandad "

Haha my nephew actually said.that to his mum when he was about 5 well he actually said 'iif its too much pennies we can just ask granddad' he know s there is no point asking nanny lol

When I was a teenager many many moons ago, if there was something I wanted I had to earn the money for it, so from an early age I learnt the value of money and had to get a morning job on a milk round. A lot of youngsters today don't know the value of money.

That said my kids mainly will get what they ask for but the big things they want are still only available for birthdays and christmas....

My kids tell me I am cruel as I refuse to be a walking cash machine.. They dont really have any other family to hassle for money either..

Cali

"When I was a teenager many many moons ago, if there was something I wanted I had to earn the money for it, so from an early age I learnt the value of money and had to get a morning job on a milk round. A lot of youngsters today don't know the value of money.

That said my kids mainly will get what they ask for but the big things they want are still only available for birthdays and christmas...."

i dont think not making kid work for money means they dont know the value, my kids never had to go out and do paper rounds etc as youngesters but they still understand money dont grow on trees and even tho i have always provided everything for them they dont expect it

I dont think you need to push 13 year olds out the door at 6am before school to teach them about money

"My kids tell me I am cruel as I refuse to be a walking cash machine.. They dont really have any other family to hassle for money either..

Cali "

but thats just kids, all kids try emotional blackmail

when my middle one was about 14 she used to tell me weekly that hse was moving out to live with her dad, we both knew she had no intentions of but it was her way of trying to get me to cave in to stop her going, so one day i packed her bags and she never used that line again, you just have to play them at their own game

I never got any pocket money from the folks, I had paper rounds and shop jobs from the age of about 10 (evening, rather than morning). I was fed and clothed, and gave my little brother a few quid a week (and bought him an ice cream on a Sunday)

As a consequence I was never questioned about what I spent my money on as I had earned it. I also paid a 1/3 of my wage as house keep to my mum (though she saved this up and gave most of it back to me when I left home....) so I got used to budgeting and paying rent.

I would do this with my own kids......

By *ucky_LadsCouple (MM)  over a year ago

Kidderminster+ surrounding areas.

" dont think not making kid work for money means they dont know the value, my kids never had to go out and do paper rounds etc as youngesters but they still understand money dont grow on trees and even tho i have always provided everything for them they dont expect it

I dont think you need to push 13 year olds out the door at 6am before school to teach them about money"

oooh!,0.6am?,thats a bit early for schoolkids to start work!,when i did a paper round we could not come out of the shop to start delivery until 7.15am,i did get caught when i did go out early the once by a bloody inspector who was out on the road checking paperboys.

My daughter gets £5 a week, for that she has to wash up after tea every night, keep her bedroom tidy and clean the bathroom once a week. If she wants more money then she can do extra jobs around the house, which she does on a regular basis. These jobs vary from week to week.

We do this for a number of reasons, It teaches her that she can not have things for nothing, you have to work for what you want, it also teaches her house hold tasks which will stand her in good stead when she is older and leaves home.

My daughter from as young as 3 had small jobs to do around the house,(put shoes away etc.) I bought her a toy cleaning trolley when she was young and she used to 'play' at clean up when i was cleaning the house She is now 12 and knows how each room in the house is cleaned, knows how the washer works and can cook herself a basic meal. She is also very good with money and saves money each week.

A lot of kids these days expect everything handed on a plate and also have no clue how to run a house when they leave home, my daughter will not be one of these kids.

Kat x x

" dont think not making kid work for money means they dont know the value, my kids never had to go out and do paper rounds etc as youngesters but they still understand money dont grow on trees and even tho i have always provided everything for them they dont expect it

I dont think you need to push 13 year olds out the door at 6am before school to teach them about money

oooh!,0.6am?,thats a bit early for schoolkids to start work!,when i did a paper round we could not come out of the shop to start delivery until 7.15am,i did get caught when i did go out early the once by a bloody inspector who was out on the road checking paperboys. "

7.15 then lol

never done a paper round nor have my kids so no idea what time they start, point i was making was kids dont have to be made to get up early and do work before a day at school to learn about the value of money

i have never given my kids pocket money,if they ask for some thing its been new game for the xbox ,with 5 boy they agree on witch one they want ,not very often they ask

" so one day i packed her bags and she never used that line again, you just have to play them at their own game "

I remember my mum doing that to me and I have done it to my kids.. lol

Cali

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

callum used to get £5 a week and i bought his magazine, when he turned 13 i said i would still give him £5 but if he wanted anymore he would have to earn it himself. The next week he got a job. If he wanted "designer" stuff clothes wise i would give him the money for say a "normal" pair and he would have to make the rest up himself.

He was a very fortunate child, went on some great holidays and adventure days ect but would always have to provide his own spending money. Hes had a lot of things some children would never dream of getting but he certainly wasnt spoilt. If he "needs" something i would give him my last penny anything else he either finds himself or borrows and has to pay me back

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

" so one day i packed her bags and she never used that line again, you just have to play them at their own game

I remember my mum doing that to me and I have done it to my kids.. lol

Cali "

Once and only once did callum use that line on me and he never tried it again

My Grand kids clean the chimney, bring in the coal and go down the mine for their pocket money, old school ways are the best

» Add a new message to this topic