FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > what can we do ?

what can we do ?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

i just found out today a co worker attempted suicide over the weekend , if the help is really out there why is it still so frequent

the job uses a lot off sharp tools , its a small family buissness , do they have a duty off care im sure they do but to what extent i dont know

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *andS for funCouple  over a year ago

Any

Very high incidence of suicide in the midlands last couple of years as a result of people being turned away from hospitals when they ask for help.

Just like too point out that I got a mail from a lady accusing me off attention seeking !!!!

If this is the response people get when we address suicide wot hope is there !!

I am certainly not seeking attention

Any

Some people are very uncomfortable with the topic.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

You could try calling the Samaritans, sosad or pieta house for advice. They are professional and confidential and will be able to give you some guidance on how you can help your co-worker.

It's a very difficult position to be in, I really hope you can help your friend.

it just strikes me that the companies response was to isolate him even more, by saying go home and dont come back till you are fit to work

Any

Fairly typical response in Ireland. You got great advice about contacting pieta house etc. They are very helpful. And maybe try to encourage your colleague to speak with them. The best of luck

"it just strikes me that the companies response was to isolate him even more, by saying go home and dont come back till you are fit to work"

Your employers certainly do have a duty of care and their response is absolutely shameful. Since it appears to be a small business you may not have a union or shop steward. If you do, perhaps your union can help with getting help.

By *iHung50Man  over a year ago

Near You

I was going to post about how this will always go on unless society changes etc etc but at the end of the day your colleague was in crisis and although nobody was able to stop the attempt you can now do something to stop it happening again. Talk talk and more talk. Honest and open and non judgemental. Be there for people wether they are or have been or never have been in crisis.

"it just strikes me that the companies response was to isolate him even more, by saying go home and dont come back till you are fit to work

Your employers certainly do have a duty of care and their response is absolutely shameful. Since it appears to be a small business you may not have a union or shop steward. If you do, perhaps your union can help with getting help.

"

No union , no just 5 people and the family, it just didnt sit right with me the way they handled it , ive no training or nothing in this area but common sense screams help him

They should be able to send him for counselling or at least offer to support him.. Disgraceful carry on to tell him go home and turn their back on him.. As for who ever said ur attention seeking they would want to grow up.. Its a forum for people to talk about what they want.. If they don't like ur post. Jog on.. Hope ur colleague gets the support they need xx

By *ryst In IsoldeWoman  over a year ago

your imagination

"it just strikes me that the companies response was to isolate him even more, by saying go home and dont come back till you are fit to work"

The company's response from a HR perspective was the correct one, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the morally right one. A business is a business and has a right to expect all of its employees to be fully functional, motivated and focused on their job. If the feel someone isn't, for whatever the reason, it is within their rights to send someone home. It may have even been done out of concern for the person... They may have felt that their time would be better put to use seeking help and addressing whatever issues brought them to the brink of suicide, than being in work. They may even have felt that the work environment was contributing to your colleague's sense of helplessness.

Without being privy to the actual conversation between your boss and your workmate, it's easy to speculate on the tone and the why of the conversation.

Your boss may have simply done the responsible thing in giving your workmate the free time to seek proper help... Help friends and workmates aren't qualified to give.

"it just strikes me that the companies response was to isolate him even more, by saying go home and dont come back till you are fit to work

The company's response from a HR perspective was the correct one, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the morally right one. A business is a business and has a right to expect all of its employees to be fully functional, motivated and focused on their job. If the feel someone isn't, for whatever the reason, it is within their rights to send someone home. It may have even been done out of concern for the person... They may have felt that their time would be better put to use seeking help and addressing whatever issues brought them to the brink of suicide, than being in work. They may even have felt that the work environment was contributing to your colleague's sense of helplessness.

Without being privy to the actual conversation between your boss and your workmate, it's easy to speculate on the tone and the why of the conversation.

Your boss may have simply done the responsible thing in giving your workmate the free time to seek proper help... Help friends and workmates aren't qualified to give. "

That reply is the difference with been trained and composed , thank you

the company should consider sending everyone on the Safe Talk & Assist course ... some organisation run the courses for free ... recognising a problem & knowing how to talk to a person in crisis is a skill worth learning

By *evil_u_knowMan  over a year ago

city

Common sesne to me would be to send them home and tell them to get better.

I am not qualified to counsel, I am not qualified to try talk someone into feeling better, and really I don't want to try. I know from experience that well intentioned advice can easily make things worse, I know people in bad mental health can twist and turn even the kindest comments into something they are not.

What would you say if a suicidal person posted on here "I tried to commit suicide, went back into work, the boss told me to cheer up and told me to get back to work"

Really the fault does not lie with the company, the family. It falls with simon harris and the people who voted him into power.

How much mental health and cervical checks could be carried out with the overspend on the hospital?

How well serviced would the midlands be for mental health services if the hundreds of millions poured into abortion were poured into it instead.

The people voted for him, they gave him his remit to spend the money on abortion and overspend on hospitals, and thats not some small midland companies fault.

You should be able to say "Take the day off, dont worry about it, come back when better", and then they go home and they have meetings set up with psychiatrist, and mental health services, and community services. Those services not being there, well thats on the goverment and the people who voted for them.

By *-4pleasureCouple  over a year ago

Belfast

Your boss may have simply done the responsible thing in giving your workmate the free time to seek proper help... Help friends and workmates aren't qualified to give. "

Excellent post

» Add a new message to this topic