FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Class

Class

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I'm not one that believes in social classes but saw it brought up recently with the mention of pleb which means an ordinary person, especially one from the lower social classes, in Latin the full term is plebeian and it's opposite is I think patrician

But us normal working class people make up the majority of the country and are the soundest people going

Anyways what are people's views on class and do people like I believe in class and.social divides based on status

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ubcouple35Couple  over a year ago

North Dublin

I believe there are social divides alright. But no amount of money can buy class .

By *verage Joe BlackMan  over a year ago

Border Area

Class exists in all society snd every vountry whether anyone likes it or not.

I grew up in ireland and witnessed how class changed due to the Celtic Tiger economic phenomenen.

Now living in the middle east and 3 classes very defined out here - again based on work and rewards.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Apologies but I'm high born and proud.. Does coming from a patrician farming back round mean nothing anymore?

I don't think you can believe or disbelieve in something that is proven to exist...

"I don't think you can believe or disbelieve in something that is proven to exist... "

How can a sociatial construct exist? You only choose to believe it or not

Your background does NOT define you as a person

"I don't think you can believe or disbelieve in something that is proven to exist...

Your background does NOT define you as a person"

"I don't think you can believe or disbelieve in something that is proven to exist...

Your background does NOT define you as a person"

I totally agree. But class isn't about defining someone as a person. It's not and nevet has been a reglection of the individual. It's about categorizing their socio economic status. Plenty of "working class" people move "up" through the class structure as their socio economic status improves. Makes absolutely no difference to what kind of person they are. And vice versa.

[Removed by poster at 15/02/19 23:49:21]

I totally agree. But class isn't about defining someone as a person. It's not and nevet has been a reglection of the individual. It's about categorizing their socio economic status. Plenty of "working class" people move "up" through the class structure as their socio economic status improves. Makes absolutely no difference to what kind of person they are. And vice versa. "

But do you not think people value others on a scale based on such an archaic social construct, people born in to money seem to run the county while hard working everyday folks like myself have fuck all say other than a vote

North Dublin

"Class exists in all society snd every vountry whether anyone likes it or not.

I grew up in ireland and witnessed how class changed due to the Celtic Tiger economic phenomenen.

Now living in the middle east and 3 classes very defined out here - again based on work and rewards."

Spell check also exists in all country's .

I would still call it more social divides rather than class.

At what stage do you change "class" . How much money elevates you out of "working class" and on to the new dizzying heights of "upper class .

I totally agree. But class isn't about defining someone as a person. It's not and nevet has been a reglection of the individual. It's about categorizing their socio economic status. Plenty of "working class" people move "up" through the class structure as their socio economic status improves. Makes absolutely no difference to what kind of person they are. And vice versa.

But do you not think people value others on a scale based on such an archaic social construct, people born in to money seem to run the county while hard working everyday folks like myself have fuck all say other than a vote"

There is nothing stopping you from running for public office.

But do you not think people value others on a scale based on such an archaic social construct, people born in to money seem to run the county while hard working everyday folks like myself have fuck all say other than a vote"

Yes. Welcome to a capitalist democracy. It's not fair. Never will be. It should be. But....

At the end of the day, anyone who judges another person for their "class" (ie. Their education/job/location/life style etc) is a shitty person. It's not the constructs fault. The construct serves an important purpose. It's just that they're a shitty person. And that coming from me who's v v "middle class".

But do you not think people value others on a scale based on such an archaic social construct, people born in to money seem to run the county while hard working everyday folks like myself have fuck all say other than a vote

There is nothing stopping you from running for public office. "

You could spend hours listing the names of historical Irish figures who've been voted into successive governments based on the very fact that they were "lower class" and represented "thr ordinary people". They are the minority, but it can be a great advantage in politics.

There is nothing stopping you from running for public office. "

No there isn't and the thought has actually crossed my mind and in a few years I may well

Still don't see the relevance

There is nothing stopping you from running for public office.

No there isn't and the thought has actually crossed my mind and in a few years I may well

Still don't see the relevance"

The relevance of what?

It is the nature of social groups that a small number will rise in status to become the elite. Even in fab, there are those who consider themselves elite singers

*swingers

"I'm not one that believes in social classes but saw it brought up recently with the mention of pleb which means an ordinary person, especially one from the lower social classes, in Latin the full term is plebeian and it's opposite is I think patrician

But us normal working class people make up the majority of the country and are the soundest people going

Anyways what are people's views on class and do people like I believe in class and.social divides based on status"

If you dont believe in social classes why do you describe yourself as normal working class?

"It is the nature of social groups that a small number will rise in status to become the elite. Even in fab, there are those who consider themselves elite singers "

Well like I can hold a decent tune

"I'm not one that believes in social classes but saw it brought up recently with the mention of pleb which means an ordinary person, especially one from the lower social classes, in Latin the full term is plebeian and it's opposite is I think patrician

Anyways what are people's views on class and do people like I believe in class and.social divides based on status

If you dont believe in social classes why do you describe yourself as normal working class?"

"It is the nature of social groups that a small number will rise in status to become the elite. Even in fab, there are those who consider themselves elite singers

Well like I can hold a decent tune"

Oh yeah, think you're better than the rest of us, eh?

If you dont believe in social classes why do you describe yourself as normal working class?"

Touche, I guess I use it because it is the construct forced upon me that has been accepted by the masses

"It is the nature of social groups that a small number will rise in status to become the elite. Even in fab, there are those who consider themselves elite singers

Well like I can hold a decent tune

Oh yeah, think you're better than the rest of us, eh? "

Depends on whether or not it's a karaoke

"Apologies but I'm high born and proud.. Does coming from a patrician farming back round mean nothing anymore? "

Pmsl. My granny still says a prayer for me in mass every morning that I'll get a good farmer with decent land and road frontage!

North Dublin

"It is the nature of social groups that a small number will rise in status to become the elite. Even in fab, there are those who consider themselves elite singers "

There are plenty of fabbers that consider themselves elite swingers alright.

So in class terms what would determine your "fab class ".

Would it be the amount of meets

Or the amount of verification's or how many times your pics have been fabbed ...?

"Apologies but I'm high born and proud.. Does coming from a patrician farming back round mean nothing anymore?

Pmsl. My granny still says a prayer for me in mass every morning that I'll get a good farmer with decent land and road frontage! "

Apparently it's double road frontage with a sea view, that's what's attractive these days

Or the amount of verification's or how many times your pics have been fabbed ...? "

Or only partying with other equally beautiful people?

Or the amount of verification's or how many times your pics have been fabbed ...?

Or only partying with other equally beautiful people? "

What equates beautiful people, is it truly the Marilyn Manson definition

If you dont believe in social classes why do you describe yourself as normal working class?

Touche, I guess I use it because it is the construct forced upon me that has been accepted by the masses"

Pretty much everything in our lives is a construct why pick out class.

I think I know what you mean is not judging people by there class.

But the wording of some of the posts are interesting to see peoples underlining bias

Or only partying with other equally beautiful people?

What equates beautiful people, is it truly the Marilyn Manson definition"

They appear to be self-defining from what I can see.

Class is predominantly based on education. Money does gave a small influence though. Many of you would be surprised by who’s in what class in regards to profession

By *ewadventures2017Couple  over a year ago

some where near

There are nice people at all levels of class and also plenty of assholes at each level of class or social standing ...

"There are nice people at all levels of class and also plenty of assholes at each level of class or social standing ..."

I'd be inclined to agree with this.

"There are nice people at all levels of class and also plenty of assholes at each level of class or social standing ..."

Preach! Some people are assholes. Wealth and privilege doesn't make u more or less likely to be one of them.

I know this thread is focused on the working class being judged but that door swings both ways.

At the end of the day, I really don't think it makes any difference

Pleb I thought meant a fool or egit. Don't act the pleb you pleb

"Pleb I thought meant a fool or egit. Don't act the pleb you pleb "

No, it's an abbreviation of plebeian, a term in ancient Rome for the "common people".

"Pleb I thought meant a fool or egit. Don't act the pleb you pleb

No, it's an abbreviation of plebeian, a term in ancient Rome for the "common people". "

Yeah but it's definitely more commonly used to describe an ejit now.

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

Or only partying with other equally beautiful people? "

You just have to become a drama or a size queen and you're right at the top of the hierarchy.

No, it's an abbreviation of plebeian, a term in ancient Rome for the "common people". "

Synonyms:

plebeian

Types:

anti-intellectual, lowbrow, philistine

a person who is uninterested in intellectual pursuits

Type of:

common man, common person, commoner

a person who holds

anti-intellectual so an egit

No, it's an abbreviation of plebeian, a term in ancient Rome for the "common people".

Synonyms:

plebeian

Types:

Type of:

a person who holds

"

Ah I referred to the original meaning as opposed to the plebeian one

Synonyms:

plebeian

Types:

Type of:

a person who holds

Ah I referred to the original meaning as opposed to the plebeian one"

Both right

[Removed by poster at 16/02/19 06:21:46]

It's almost as if we equate intellect with social standing, I guess it's why I think this class thing is bollox

I was handing things on a plate in life and I worked hard to get to where I am today but I'll never forget my roots it's what shaped me as a person

But I hate that because you're from a certain area you aren't afforded the same opportunities as others in this country

As big Tom once sang "skidrow Joe or superstar your going out the same way you came in"

Anyways what are people's views on class and do people like I believe in class and.social divides based on status"

I my book "class" has nothing to do with socioeconomic status. It's how one carries themselves and defined by their actions.

The world has moved on since we labelled people and segregated them into social classes.

By *j47Man  over a year ago

limerick

I my book "class" has nothing to do with socioeconomic status. It's how one carries themselves and defined by their actions.

The world has moved on since we labelled people and segregated them into social classes. "

Has it really ????

Eh, seems to me these things are only an issue when people feel themselves excluded, a move up the ladder and they suddenly have no problem with the hierarchy.

Besides, an element of victimhood can creep in, your life is essentially what you choose to make it, we live in a pretty free society.

By *ackk25Man  over a year ago

Kilkenny

"Eh, seems to me these things are only an issue when people feel themselves excluded, a move up the ladder and they suddenly have no problem with the hierarchy.

Besides, an element of victimhood can creep in, your life is essentially what you choose to make it, we live in a pretty free society. "

I try and steer clear of these types of thread... But very very well put!

By *inn2000Woman  over a year ago

belfast

God I love fab

Where else could I read an intellectual discussion while perving

Kilkenny

"Eh, seems to me these things are only an issue when people feel themselves excluded, a move up the ladder and they suddenly have no problem with the hierarchy.

Besides, an element of victimhood can creep in, your life is essentially what you choose to make it, we live in a pretty free society.

I try and steer clear of these types of thread... But very very well put! "

Love the pics BTW... Lol

"God I love fab

"

I pride myself on being able to perv anywhere

I try and steer clear of these types of thread... But very very well put!

Love the pics BTW... Lol "

Ty

By *antra MassageMan  over a year ago

Wicklow

This thread would be viewed differently on the UK forum, where social class seems to be set at birth. I've always been confused about social class in Ireland. I think we have two, working class and middle class. And it's possible to shift between the two, based on education, money, where you live,.. and where you see yourself. Like, if you're an employee would you have a working class view of the world? . If you own the company, and we're born in poverty, do you see yourself as working or middle class? And the other kind of 'class".. Having a sense of "savoir faire", you either have it or you don't.

"This thread would be viewed differently on the UK forum, where social class seems to be set at birth. I've always been confused about social class in Ireland. I think we have two, working class and middle class. And it's possible to shift between the two, based on education, money, where you live,.. and where you see yourself. Like, if you're an employee would you have a working class view of the world? . If you own the company, and we're born in poverty, do you see yourself as working or middle class? And the other kind of 'class".. Having a sense of "savoir faire", you either have it or you don't. "

Ah J. We just had it all figured out ffs. Don't be confusing us more!!!

As clear as mud now

"

It's almost as if we equate intellect with social standing, I guess it's why I think this class thing is bollox

I was handing things on a plate in life and I worked hard to get to where I am today but I'll never forget my roots it's what shaped me as a person

But I hate that because you're from a certain area you aren't afforded the same opportunities as others in this country "

Can u give an example of this please?

"

But I hate that because you're from a certain area you aren't afforded the same opportunities as others in this country

Can u give an example of this please? "

Ya go to any disadvantaged area, it's a lot harder for people from areas like that to get on in life, barriers are placed on front of you because of a surname, area you're from... I've worked hand in hand with people in these areas and spent the majority of my time growing up around areas like like this

We don't all have the luxury of private schools, some of us have to make do with nothing and work twice as hard as the next person just to prove you're as good as them

"

Ya go to any disadvantaged area, it's a lot harder for people from areas like that to get on in life, barriers are placed on front of you because of a surname, area you're from... I've worked hand in hand with people in these areas and spent the majority of my time growing up around areas like like this

We don't all have the luxury of private schools, some of us have to make do with nothing and work twice as hard as the next person just to prove you're as good as them"

Seriously, what proportion of the population do you imagine has private schooling?

"

We don't all have the luxury of private schools, some of us have to make do with nothing and work twice as hard as the next person just to prove you're as good as them"

Yeah I understand that but I was just wondering can u give a concrete example of a time when you've been denied an opportunity based directly on your address.

limerick

"God I love fab

"

Stimulate the mind and the body will follow they say

"

We don't all have the luxury of private schools, some of us have to make do with nothing and work twice as hard as the next person just to prove you're as good as them

Yeah I understand that but I was just wondering can u give a concrete example of a time when you've been denied an opportunity based directly on your address.

"

I've been refused entry into night clubs for having limerick on my ID in Dublin before

I have other examples but they're more personal and wouldnt openly divulge such on fab

This is annoying me now. I'm by all standards a v middle class girl. I went to a private boarding school. I got my first pony for my 10th birthday. I have 2 degrees. My family is very wealthy. I'm now 26, a single parent, working full time on 23k, renting and I've as much hope of a mortgage as I have of another pony. The idea of the middle class that some people have is so far removed from reality. Being working class isn't enough on its own to stop somebody from "suceeding" in life. But a canyon sized chip on the shoulder could definitely do that job.

" But a canyon sized chip on the shoulder could definitely do that job. "

This, a thousand times over. The single most off-putting aspect of potential employees is not a "bad address", it's a bad attitude.

" But a canyon sized chip on the shoulder could definitely do that job.

This, a thousand times over. The single most off-putting aspect of potential employees is not a "bad address", it's a bad attitude. "

I don't see my address as an issue I'm very proud of where I come from but you can't whole heartedly say people from certain areas aren't prejudged

This, a thousand times over. The single most off-putting aspect of potential employees is not a "bad address", it's a bad attitude.

I don't see my address as an issue I'm very proud of where I come from but you can't whole heartedly say people from certain areas aren't prejudged"

We are all prejudged to a point, it's up to us to make our own impression.

I don't see my address as an issue I'm very proud of where I come from but you can't whole heartedly say people from certain areas aren't prejudged"

You literally just complained that people in certain areas aren't given opportunity because of their address, then cried that you couldn't get into a nightclub cos you're from limerick.

And over course their prejudged. So are people from "posh" areas. People assume I'm up my own hole cos of my address. Get a grip. Everyone is prejudged!

I don't see my address as an issue I'm very proud of where I come from but you can't whole heartedly say people from certain areas aren't prejudged

You literally just complained that people in certain areas aren't given opportunity because of their address, then cried that you couldn't get into a nightclub cos you're from limerick.

And over course their prejudged. So are people from "posh" areas. People assume I'm up my own hole cos of my address. Get a grip. Everyone is prejudged! "

I always get told I'm way nicer than they expected

limerick

"This is annoying me now. I'm by all standards a v middle class girl. I went to a private boarding school. I got my first pony for my 10th birthday. I have 2 degrees. My family is very wealthy. I'm now 26, a single parent, working full time on 23k, renting and I've as much hope of a mortgage as I have of another pony. The idea of the middle class that some people have is so far removed from reality. Being working class isn't enough on its own to stop somebody from "suceeding" in life. But a canyon sized chip on the shoulder could definitely do that job. "

May i just say to both of u the life experiences ye both have had have being polar oppisites and the oppertunities are just as oppusite

Take my case came from blue collar backround had the oppertunity to go to uni but declined as i thought the hardship my parents would have being to much. However i worked hard as did my partner and both my kids have attended uni without the assistance of the state which is avaible to those from disavantaged areas as well as farmers sons and daughters however the strugling middle more than likely wont qualify for them if both parents are employed

Life throws up lots of different things to lots of different people its how we then turn those oppertunites to our adavantage that matters theres no point whinging we cant because or i could if i tried

And over course their prejudged. So are people from "posh" areas. People assume I'm up my own hole cos of my address. Get a grip. Everyone is prejudged!

I always get told I'm way nicer than they expected "

Lol I can't say the same. But it does usually shock people when they come to my home and see i drink the same Lyons tea as everyone else

And over course their prejudged. So are people from "posh" areas. People assume I'm up my own hole cos of my address. Get a grip. Everyone is prejudged! "

Why are you making things personal? You asked for an example and that's the one I gave because I'm not divulging my personal life on the Internet

I have a great grip, I'm merely debating I don't really care I just want to see peoples views.

limerick

Sorry i was perving ur pics whos up ur hole

"

Life throws up lots of different things to lots of different people its how we then turn those oppertunites to our adavantage that matters theres no point whinging we cant because or i could if i tried

"

Exactly.

"

Sorry i was perving ur pics whos up ur hole "

Nobody at present

Why are you making things personal? You asked for an example and that's the one I gave because I'm not divulging my personal life on the Internet

I have a great grip, I'm merely debating I don't really care I just want to see peoples views.

"

Because you're contradicting yourself Lim. And you've taken a very personal approach to this entire thread. *shrug

Because you're contradicting yourself Lim. And you've taken a very personal approach to this entire thread. *shrug "

To be honest I started this after a bottle of wine and a few whiskeys, wasn't wise

limerick

Because you're contradicting yourself Lim. And you've taken a very personal approach to this entire thread. *shrug

To be honest I started this after a bottle of wine and a few whiskeys, wasn't wise "

Was having flash backs of a sat afternoon back in 2015

To be honest I started this after a bottle of wine and a few whiskeys, wasn't wise

Was having flash backs of a sat afternoon back in 2015 "

Mick and his two reds?

By *ensualandslow321Man  over a year ago

Tullamore

We all judge others whether we like to admit it or not. One of my firm beliefs is that money/trappings never maketh the man/woman. Their core values of decency,respect, honesty and integrity are more important than what they have or what social divide they come from. Just a personal view

To be honest I started this after a bottle of wine and a few whiskeys, wasn't wise "

Lol fair enough.

By *ilbearniMan  over a year ago

peninsula

"This is annoying me now. I'm by all standards a v middle class girl. I went to a private boarding school. I got my first pony for my 10th birthday. I have 2 degrees. My family is very wealthy. I'm now 26, a single parent, working full time on 23k, renting and I've as much hope of a mortgage as I have of another pony. The idea of the middle class that some people have is so far removed from reality. Being working class isn't enough on its own to stop somebody from "suceeding" in life. But a canyon sized chip on the shoulder could definitely do that job. "

I believe that you remain in the class you were born to...i am working class, but my kids would be defined as middle class. I now move more in middle class circles,and can see the privilege that comes with that, wealth, ponies, private education etc. and many of the folk have the same privileged perception of the working class that you seem to have....chip on shoulder? did you ever ask yourself why someone may have that ? maybe they haven't had the lifestyle you took for granted, the education with the connections that afforded you for further education and employment, the comfortable home life.

If you had your middle class privilege removed , and obstacles put in their place would you even have the means to rent, or have a job? always believed in that saying- walk a mile in others shoes

oh, and you would want to spellcheck your own posts before commenting on others grammar etc

ps i dont have a chip, its a spicy wedge don't you know

"This is annoying me now. I'm by all standards a v middle class girl. I went to a private boarding school. I got my first pony for my 10th birthday. I have 2 degrees. My family is very wealthy. I'm now 26, a single parent, working full time on 23k, renting and I've as much hope of a mortgage as I have of another pony. The idea of the middle class that some people have is so far removed from reality. Being working class isn't enough on its own to stop somebody from "suceeding" in life. But a canyon sized chip on the shoulder could definitely do that job.

I believe that you remain in the class you were born to...i am working class, but my kids would be defined as middle class. I now move more in middle class circles,and can see the privilege that comes with that, wealth, ponies, private education etc. and many of the folk have the same privileged perception of the working class that you seem to have....chip on shoulder? did you ever ask yourself why someone may have that ? maybe they haven't had the lifestyle you took for granted, the education with the connections that afforded you for further education and employment, the comfortable home life.

If you had your middle class privilege removed , and obstacles put in their place would you even have the means to rent, or have a job? always believed in that saying- walk a mile in others shoes

oh, and you would want to spellcheck your own posts before commenting on others grammar etc

ps i dont have a chip, its a spicy wedge don't you know "

What obstacles though?

I grew up very much working class too. I havent seen any instutional obstacles that stopped me from getting the best out of my life.

Im not saying they are not there just looking for specifics instead of general obstacles.

I really think it is about who brings you up amd how they do it, not what class you are that has the greatest impact

"This is annoying me now. I'm by all standards a v middle class girl. I went to a private boarding school. I got my first pony for my 10th birthday. I have 2 degrees. My family is very wealthy. I'm now 26, a single parent, working full time on 23k, renting and I've as much hope of a mortgage as I have of another pony. The idea of the middle class that some people have is so far removed from reality. Being working class isn't enough on its own to stop somebody from "suceeding" in life. But a canyon sized chip on the shoulder could definitely do that job.

ps i dont have a chip, its a spicy wedge don't you know "

Those are some pretty big assumptions you're making there. I paid my own way through college, didn't get money off my parents, I've lived alone and rented privately since I was 17, I had a 3 year period where I couldn't get work and was on the dole full time, I've worked for free for years to try and get my foot in the door. All while being a v young single mother and dealing with the judgement that comes along with that. Thay pony didn't make much of a difference tbh. I also fail to see how my boarding school helped me in any way. And I'm very sorry for my spelling mistakes. Obviously as a middle class girl such things are totally unacceptable!! Maybe if I take my lovely big silver spoon out of my mouth I'll be more of the stereotype you'd like me to be.

I know I'm working class cause I dry my clothes on the radiator and play lotto

[Removed by poster at 16/02/19 15:01:49]

By *iffaWoman  over a year ago

wherever

The class system in Ireland is of our making, dragged over from the British. It’s meaningless here except to put a divide where there need not be one. Times are changing though and more are starting not to care about such a ridiculous notion

peninsula

Those are some pretty big assumptions you're making there. I paid my own way through college, didn't get money off my parents, I've lived alone and rented privately since I was 17, I had a 3 year period where I couldn't get work and was on the dole full time, I've worked for free for years to try and get my foot in the door. All while being a v young single mother and dealing with the judgement that comes along with that. Thay pony didn't make much of a difference tbh. I also fail to see how my boarding school helped me in any way. And I'm very sorry for my spelling mistakes. Obviously as a middle class girl such things are totally unacceptable!! Maybe if I take my lovely big silver spoon out of my mouth I'll be more of the stereotype you'd like me to be.

"

Silver spoon, i think maybe the chip is all yours

you were the one to correct others spelling, not me . not assuming , just observing. the privileged viewpoint, which you call stereotyping is quite apparent when you say "Being working class isn't enough on its own to stop somebody from "suceeding" in life. But a canyon sized chip on the shoulder could definitely do that job" you had a massive advantage due to your education and upbringing, others didn't have.

"I know I'm working class cause I dry my clothes on the radiator and play lotto "

Sometimes I use a clothes horse

you were the one to correct others spelling, not me . not assuming , just observing. the privileged viewpoint, which you call stereotyping is quite apparent when you say "Being working class isn't enough on its own to stop somebody from "suceeding" in life. But a canyon sized chip on the shoulder could definitely do that job" you had a massive advantage due to your education and upbringing, others didn't have. "

Yeah but my education had nothing to do with my upbringing? I paid the same €1300 every year as everyone else in college. Do u think boarding school brats got 50% off??? I worked part time throughout college to cover that and my rent etc. I didn't qualify for any grants and my parents put a huge emphasis on me paying my own way and learning the value of work.

Like... I honestly don't see what point your making? Of course education helps! But education is available to anyone who is willing and able to put the work in in this country. We're not in India lads. This is a country full of opportunity to anyone who has the motivation and determination to take it.

"The class system in Ireland is of our making, dragged over from the British. It’s meaningless here except to put a divide where there need not be one. Times are changing though and more are starting not to care about such a ridiculous notion "

Ah its not just a british thing....

civilisations throughout history across the globe have had one form of class system or another... even animals do

wherever

"The class system in Ireland is of our making, dragged over from the British. It’s meaningless here except to put a divide where there need not be one. Times are changing though and more are starting not to care about such a ridiculous notion

civilisations throughout history across the globe have had one form of class system or another... even animals do"

Yea but we seem to be hanging on to British bull shit. Working class, middle class, upper class, it means nothing here realistically

"The class system in Ireland is of our making, dragged over from the British. It’s meaningless here except to put a divide where there need not be one. Times are changing though and more are starting not to care about such a ridiculous notion

civilisations throughout history across the globe have had one form of class system or another... even animals do

Yea but we seem to be hanging on to British bull shit. Working class, middle class, upper class, it means nothing here realistically "

I believe the same yet it seems lots seem to believe in it

It's a stupid notion that I guess was forced upon us by an enslaving foreign invader

wherever

Yea but we seem to be hanging on to British bull shit. Working class, middle class, upper class, it means nothing here realistically

I believe the same yet it seems lots seem to believe in it

It's a stupid notion that I guess was forced upon us by an enslaving foreign invader "

Exactly and serves no purpose.

peninsula

you were the one to correct others spelling, not me . not assuming , just observing. the privileged viewpoint, which you call stereotyping is quite apparent when you say "Being working class isn't enough on its own to stop somebody from "suceeding" in life. But a canyon sized chip on the shoulder could definitely do that job" you had a massive advantage due to your education and upbringing, others didn't have.

Yeah but my education had nothing to do with my upbringing? I paid the same €1300 every year as everyone else in college. Do u think boarding school brats got 50% off??? I worked part time throughout college to cover that and my rent etc. I didn't qualify for any grants and my parents put a huge emphasis on me paying my own way and learning the value of work.

Like... I honestly don't see what point your making? Of course education helps! But education is available to anyone who is willing and able to put the work in in this country. We're not in India lads. This is a country full of opportunity to anyone who has the motivation and determination to take it. "

your education had everything to do with your upbringing, i'm noyt criticising that or you, its a fact. you were more priveliged than most, you can afford the fees, yes and had to work part time and kudos to your parents, but you also had a safety net there for you... jeezcan you not see that, obvs not when you then say , without irony "This is a country full of opportunity to anyone who has the motivation and determination to take it" you could include that this is opportunity is more available to those who have connections, the means to a good education and part time jobs. No there is not opportunity for all in Ireland!!

Yea but we seem to be hanging on to British bull shit. Working class, middle class, upper class, it means nothing here realistically "

Its the most revelvent to our capitalist democracy...

Most people crave structure... something to aim for, someone to blame, fear of loss.... it keeps economies moving...

Alot of the steriotypes associated with classes are dying out bit until else takes its place there will always be a shaddow of it

I would agree that swinging and sex can be a great leveller...but social classes exists in every society to categorise groups of people that share similar economic or social characteristics..it's not a British notion

wherever

Most people crave structure... something to aim for, someone to blame, fear of loss.... it keeps economies moving...

Alot of the steriotypes associated with classes are dying out bit until else takes its place there will always be a shaddow of it"

You hit the nail on the head. When you strip all the terms away it comes down to cold hard cash. Who has it and who doesn’t. That’s got nothing to do with class. Plenty of dealers out there with plenty of cash.

And I personally believe if your the kind of person who rates someone in there financial status then you have no class at all.

Alot of the steriotypes associated with classes are dying out bit until else takes its place there will always be a shaddow of it"

We don't have a capitalist democracy

We have a left leaning pseudo democratic Republic

Alot of the steriotypes associated with classes are dying out bit until else takes its place there will always be a shaddow of it

We have a left leaning pseudo democratic Republic"

Christ alive. Have u been at the whiskey again?

We have a left leaning pseudo democratic Republic"

Our media is left leaning... our policy makers are not

"

Christ alive. Have u been at the whiskey again? "

No this is genuinely my view on the political state of the country

By *r Connie LingusMan  over a year ago

Limerick

"

No this is genuinely my view on the political state of the country "

Youd prefer a .monarchy obviously

As with all democracies, we have the government we deserve

"As with all democracies, we have the government we deserve "

YES!

limerick

At the end of the day the top 10% control 80% of the wealth and they shall look down on us as they see fit

The only thing u can do is improve ur lot and that of ur kids as best u can ovsrcoming any barriers that may be in ur way

"

Youd prefer a .monarchy obviously "

No more of a center libertarian democracy

By *ichael McCarthyMan  over a year ago

Lucan

Left leaning?

Wha?

I wish we did.

Kilkenny

"As with all democracies, we have the government we deserve "

Damn!... I'm in the politics thread again.. Could not agree more,...now about those pics of yours...

By *r Connie LingusMan  over a year ago

Limerick

"

Youd prefer a .monarchy obviously

No more of a center libertarian democracy "

You've changed man

» Add a new message to this topic