FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Nurses striking

Nurses striking

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ontbesillywrapyourwilly OP   Man  over a year ago

Tipperary

Do you agree with them or not or is it more complicated then that?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

You couldn't pay these people enough they should be on a much greater wage. Remember who takes care of you when you're not well

Tipperary

"You couldn't pay these people enough they should be on a much greater wage. Remember who takes care of you when you're not well"
on top of that I also think there is not enough nurses employed in hospitals resulting in enormous working hours. I do understand though with nurses striking people's appointments etc are gone all over the place

By *osmicGateMan  over a year ago

louth

"Do you agree with them or not or is it more complicated then that?"

They deserve a payrise no doubt..health service is bedlam..2 billion on a hospital that hasnt even been finished yet what a waste..money that could have been used to give nurses a raise..the whole thing stinks..its rotten

By *evil_u_knowMan  over a year ago

city

Nah.

If they were a private company they would have all been sacked following the overspend of the childrens hospital anyway. Thats how private companies work, they overspend on a project and the work force gets halved.

This job protection surely worth a few grand a year to them.

If they were private sector they would be forced to pay 10-15 grand if they left to go work in London. I dont know if this happens or not to nurses. But i know in the finance and IT sector if you complete training then jump ship, you pay for all the training out of your own pocket.

The fact they threaten us on the radio that if we dont pay them more, all the new graduates will just leave to go to London is disgusting to me, I hope every single one of them has to pay us back every single cent spent on their education, all the way back to primary school.

The real issue for me is cost of living. Most people I know get paid less than train drivers, police, and nurse, I feel if all these groups get pay rise, then the private sector will have to respond, and that will increase the price of houses and the cost of living.

Every cent you get, just increases the price of houses by a cent, or pushes your house up by a cent, or the cost of food.

The cost of living is already too high.

"Nah.

If they were a private company they would have all been sacked following the overspend of the childrens hospital anyway. Thats how private companies work, they overspend on a project and the work force gets halved.

If they were private sector they would be forced to pay 10-15 grand if they left to go work in London. I dont know if this happens or not to nurses. But i know in the finance and IT sector if you complete training then jump ship, you pay for all the training out of your own pocket.

The fact they threaten us on the radio that if we dont pay them more, all the new graduates will just leave to go to London is disgusting to me, I hope every single one of them has to pay us back every single cent spent on their education, all the way back to primary school.

The real issue for me is cost of living. Most people I know get paid less than train drivers, police, and nurse, I feel if all these groups get pay rise, then the private sector will have to respond, and that will increase the price of houses and the cost of living.

Every cent you get, just increases the price of houses by a cent, or pushes your house up by a cent, or the cost of food.

The cost of living is already too high."

I agree not to many leaving and don't forget about there pensions

By *uriousPearCouple  over a year ago

dublin 5

"Nah.

Yeah....you know nurses aren't responsible for the overspend? You get that right?

As for paying back every cent right back to their primary school. There isn't enough time in the day to deal with that opinion.

By *hiaboutMan  over a year ago

johnstown

Any nurses round here seem pretty well to do ..none of em living rough .

"Nah.

Ya the private sector will look for repayment of some % of money spend on professinal development....

Not money spend on education before employment... I know your only half serious anyway but still...

city

"Ya the private sector will look for repayment of some % of money spend on professinal development....

Not money spend on education before employment... I know your only half serious anyway but still..."

But every nurse goes through a tax paid hospital during training.

It would be like doing an IT course, and having to go to a private company to complete training. No private company would help or complete that training without locking you into contract.

UCD sends them to St Vincents, Trinity sends them to James and Tallaght etc.

These people know the pay of nurses when they start these courses, they are offered a job upon completion of their course, so yeah we should recoup education cost going back further than when they started training as a nurse if possible, and should 100% recoup all costs of training them as a nurse.

Tipperary

Where do you draw the line? If nurses want a pay rise what's stopping all other workers jumping on the same wagon.!

"Ya the private sector will look for repayment of some % of money spend on professinal development....

Not money spend on education before employment... I know your only half serious anyway but still...

It would be like doing an IT course, and having to go to a private company to complete training. No private company would help or complete that training without locking you into contract.

These people know the pay of nurses when they start these courses, they are offered a job upon completion of their course, so yeah we should recoup education cost going back further than when they started training as a nurse if possible, and should 100% recoup all costs of training them as a nurse."

Ucc and I assume all other universitys send students to multi-nationals all over the country and the world.... these companies dont have payback clauses for these interships and placements....

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

You could stop paying wages to politicians, they're useless bunch. That would free up some money for others who are really working for their money.

"You could stop paying wages to politicians, they're useless bunch. That would free up some money for others who are really working for their money. "

Comments like this make me weep for the future of this country. Without politicians there are no hospitals. Really shouldn't have to point that out.

"Nah.

My god that’s just incredible..... speculative capitalism is the main reason why cost of living is so high. Public sector wages and wages in general have to keep up with rises in property and the cost of living expenses that exist here, but you think this whole mess is actually caused by public sector pay? Wow! Just wow! You are picking the wrong scapegoat, blame Unstemmed speculative capitalism backed by neoliberalist policy makers for the mess were are in and don’t be blaming nurses who do shift work and do the jobs that people in the private sector don’t want to do. 40 years of Thatcherism/Reaganism and letting capitalist corporations do whatever they want has led us here. Ask yourself who is driving property prices to the point of paying say 400,000 for a 3 bed semi in suburban Dublin or why a hotel bed costs 300 euro because there’s a concert on in the 3 arena or a match in the Aviva? It’s not because a nurse wants a few quid extra at the end of the week! Wake up and smell the coffee.

Capitalism as a system intriscally causes inflation not workers wages.

city

"Ucc and I assume all other universitys send students to multi-nationals all over the country and the world.... these companies dont have payback clauses for these interships and placements....

"

There is a difference between an internship and education on the job. Most interns in the private sector make tea, and get a gold star at end of it.

If you do any degree in Ireland that actually requires you to go away and learn on the job, and will be doing more than making tea with structure and its a private company, then you will pay for it out of your own pocket. It's a couple of grand to do the MBA work placement. No private company provides that training or placement for free.

Go check it out, the MBA with placement costs. The good ones are 10 grand, and most of that is for your placement.

"You could stop paying wages to politicians, they're useless bunch. That would free up some money for others who are really working for their money.

Comments like this make me weep for the future of this country. Without politicians there are no hospitals. Really shouldn't have to point that out. "

So true

"Do you agree with them or not or is it more complicated then that?"

I agree with them.

As it is shocking that they have to do 4yrs of training and get minimum wage,where someone stacking shelves in Dunnes or Tesco can start of on the minimum wage and over time it goes up and you can be getting 13:50 a hour as your years go on.where once you are qualified nurse you wages don't increase. I work as a health care Assistant and I was just on the minimum wage doing 12hr shifts 3 days a week, my ex work in tesco just working one Sunday he would make more than me in a week.

It is mentally and physically tiring. Plus we trained and qualified yet get paid shit. Where you don't need college or fetac course to work in supermarkets and they are paid better than Nurses and HCA. We deal with abuse not only from family members but of a terrified dementia patient along with the mangers on your back,we deal with short staff due to burn out that it then decline the proper care for the residents . Now ye it's shouldn't be all about the money,but it is hard been paid monthly and budgeting and having nothing to show at the end . But a broken back and a tired mind.

That why at 32 I changed out of been a HCA as I was just shocked at how the system is failing the vulnerable. A load of pencil pushers who hasn't the foggiest idea of how to run it.

city

"My god that’s just incredible..... speculative capitalism is the main reason why cost of living is so high. Public sector wages and wages in general have to keep up with rises in property and the cost of living expenses that exist here, but you think this whole mess is actually caused by public sector pay? Wow! Just wow! You are picking the wrong scapegoat, blame Unstemmed speculative capitalism backed by neoliberalist policy makers for the mess were are in and don’t be blaming nurses who do shift work and do the jobs that people in the private sector don’t want to do. 40 years of Thatcherism/Reaganism and letting capitalist corporations do whatever they want has led us here. Ask yourself who is driving property prices to the point of paying say 400,000 for a 3 bed semi in suburban Dublin or why a hotel bed costs 300 euro because there’s a concert on in the 3 arena or a match in the Aviva? It’s not because a nurse wants a few quid extra at the end of the week! Wake up and smell the coffee.

Capitalism as a system intriscally causes inflation not workers wages. "

What I am saying is, the cost of a house is based on 2 incomes. It used to be 1 income.

Correct or false?

What I am saying is, if people make more money then the cost of a house will go up, and both the nurses wage and whoever she lives with will have to be increased to cover it.

Correct or false?

The price of houses do not rise on their own, they rise because its what people can afford. When people can not afford they fall. Your idea that the economy can rise to match any and all cost of living rises is the reverse of how the real world works, where the costs rise to match exactly what the average worker can earn, keeping them always just on the edge of what they can afford.

"You could stop paying wages to politicians, they're useless bunch. That would free up some money for others who are really working for their money. "

"Nah.

Yeah....you know nurses aren't responsible for the overspend? You get that right?

As for paying back every cent right back to their primary school. There isn't enough time in the day to deal with that opinion. "

"Nah.

My god that’s just incredible..... speculative capitalism is the main reason why cost of living is so high. Public sector wages and wages in general have to keep up with rises in property and the cost of living expenses that exist here, but you think this whole mess is actually caused by public sector pay? Wow! Just wow! You are picking the wrong scapegoat, blame Unstemmed speculative capitalism backed by neoliberalist policy makers for the mess were are in and don’t be blaming nurses who do shift work and do the jobs that people in the private sector don’t want to do. 40 years of Thatcherism/Reaganism and letting capitalist corporations do whatever they want has led us here. Ask yourself who is driving property prices to the point of paying say 400,000 for a 3 bed semi in suburban Dublin or why a hotel bed costs 300 euro because there’s a concert on in the 3 arena or a match in the Aviva? It’s not because a nurse wants a few quid extra at the end of the week! Wake up and smell the coffee.

Capitalism as a system intriscally causes inflation not workers wages. "

"You could stop paying wages to politicians, they're useless bunch. That would free up some money for others who are really working for their money.

Comments like this make me weep for the future of this country. Without politicians there are no hospitals. Really shouldn't have to point that out. "

And politicians wouldn't exist if we the people didn't vote for them. Or appointed them in the first place. Or if people didn't say I will stand and Run for such and Such. A government that can't run its country is like a bad management were it's eventually loses its Business. Which is happening now with our own. And resulting in these events of striking.

"My god that’s just incredible..... speculative capitalism is the main reason why cost of living is so high. Public sector wages and wages in general have to keep up with rises in property and the cost of living expenses that exist here, but you think this whole mess is actually caused by public sector pay? Wow! Just wow! You are picking the wrong scapegoat, blame Unstemmed speculative capitalism backed by neoliberalist policy makers for the mess were are in and don’t be blaming nurses who do shift work and do the jobs that people in the private sector don’t want to do. 40 years of Thatcherism/Reaganism and letting capitalist corporations do whatever they want has led us here. Ask yourself who is driving property prices to the point of paying say 400,000 for a 3 bed semi in suburban Dublin or why a hotel bed costs 300 euro because there’s a concert on in the 3 arena or a match in the Aviva? It’s not because a nurse wants a few quid extra at the end of the week! Wake up and smell the coffee.

What I am saying is, the cost of a house is based on 2 incomes. It used to be 1 income.

Correct or false?

What I am saying is, if people make more money then the cost of a house will go up, and both the nurses wage and whoever she lives with will have to be increased to cover it.

Correct or false?

The price of houses do not rise on their own, they rise because its what people can afford. When people can not afford they fall. Your idea that the economy can rise to match any and all cost of living rises is the reverse of how the real world works, where the costs rise to match exactly what the average worker can earn, keeping them always just on the edge of what they can afford."

You’re missing the point! It doesn’t matter wether it’s one or two incomes to buy a property, the owner (the person with the capital) dictates the price whether it comes from one, two or three or 23 incomes it doesn’t matter! It’s the system that is the problem, what did we learn from the economic crash? What caused it?? Speculative developers and speculative bankers giving out credit for overinflated property. Do you understand the concept of the squeezed middle?

You’re clearly not in the real world at all. Those with the capital dictate the price. Not the other way around. Nobody gets rich in this country on a 39 hour week.

Correct or false?

Correct or false?

The price of houses do not rise on their own, they rise because its what people can afford. When people can not afford they fall. Your idea that the economy can rise to match any and all cost of living rises is the reverse of how the real world works, where the costs rise to match exactly what the average worker can earn, keeping them always just on the edge of what they can afford.

You’re missing the point! It doesn’t matter wether it’s one or two incomes to buy a property, the owner (the person with the capital) dictates the price whether it comes from one, two or three or 23 incomes it doesn’t matter! It’s the system that is the problem, what did we learn from the economic crash? What caused it?? Speculative developers and speculative bankers giving out credit for overinflated property. Do you understand the concept of the squeezed middle?

You’re clearly not in the real world at all. Those with the capital dictate the price. Not the other way around. Nobody gets rich in this country on a 39 hour week. "

"Ucc and I assume all other universitys send students to multi-nationals all over the country and the world.... these companies dont have payback clauses for these interships and placements....

There is a difference between an internship and education on the job. Most interns in the private sector make tea, and get a gold star at end of it.

If you do any degree in Ireland that actually requires you to go away and learn on the job, and will be doing more than making tea with structure and its a private company, then you will pay for it out of your own pocket. It's a couple of grand to do the MBA work placement. No private company provides that training or placement for free.

Go check it out, the MBA with placement costs. The good ones are 10 grand, and most of that is for your placement."

You pay for your placement and training in your chosen degree in your fees.. like nurses.

Look I know its not the exact same but you know we would have zero nurses if we went chasing them for all the money invested in them before their full time emoloyment...

Afterwards it should actually be implimented across the public sector I agree with you on that

My sister is on great money but new nurses male and female are getting a raw deal and will take them years to get up the pay scale.

The fucking company building the children's hospital just stick their hand out and no question asked. Wait to the next election. We can elect another shower of curupt politicians

I'm raging

Go check it out, the MBA with placement costs. The good ones are 10 grand, and most of that is for your placement.

You pay for your placement and training in your chosen degree in your fees.. like nurses.

Look I know its not the exact same but you know we would have zero nurses if we went chasing them for all the money invested in them before their full time emoloyment...

Afterwards it should actually be implimented across the public sector I agree with you on that"

What about doctors? Or engineers? Agri-scientists? Solicitors? Micro-biologists? Etc etc? There not public sector should they do the same if they emigrate after getting a degree here?

on the hill NordWest of

Weep away... while it's obvious that the statement is exaggerated, if you look how politics has failed Ireland especially over the last 20 years, it's not that far off. Living costs and living standard are highly imbalanced due to bad governing and it doesn't look like it's going to change any time soon, quite contrary we're on the way into the next bubble. Unfortunately it's not only the nurses that struggle to make a means end in this country. For example we have the highest mortgage interest rate in tge EU almost double than the european average which amounts to a whoppibg 2560 euro per year on a 300'000 mortgage or 64'000 over 25 years. Go and figure why we're punished to pay such high rates...

To round this up the best way to solve a problem is at its roots, symptom treatment can only ease the pain for a while but it won't make it go away.

By *he rover returnedWoman  over a year ago

xxx

These people know the pay of nurses when they start these courses, they are offered a job upon completion of their course, so yeah we should recoup education cost going back further than when they started training as a nurse if possible, and should 100% recoup all costs of training them as a nurse."

Except for the recruitment ban that was only lifted in the ladt number if years. You want to point the finger... instead of been ridiculously controversial just for the sake of it look higher up the ladder then at frontline staff. Our politions who got their pay rise... they're cushy holidays( we all know you object to that as well). These people have mismanaged and misappropriated our health system not our nurses. Try looking at the big picture...that right hand corner your stuck in is attacking the wrong people over and over again.

The main problem in it all I feel are the ones that seem to cause the biggest problems or mistakes don't feel the pinch rather it filters down to the ordinary working people.

Personally, I don't know how nurses do it, and I've seen a lot of the work they do unfortunately. Long hours, understaffed, too many patients and add in a million other things

The worlds tallest building in the world cost 1.5 billion. The children’s hospital is going to cost half a billion more than that. Think about that for a minute and then think what has caused that? And it was not nurses wages I can tell you that for nothing.

Now think about where that 2 billion is going????? It’s not anyone on a 39 hour week or a shift worker I can tell you. Now do you still want to scapegoat the nurses?

By *samaleMan  over a year ago

tralee/newcastlewest

"Nah.

The cost of living is already too high. I agree not to many leaving and don't forget about there pensions "

Two sad men.. I won't even start...

louth

"The worlds tallest building in the world cost 1.5 billion. The children’s hospital is going to cost half a billion more than that. Think about that for a minute and then think what has caused that? And it was not nurses wages I can tell you that for nothing.

Now think about where that 2 billion is going????? It’s not anyone on a 39 hour week or a shift worker I can tell you. Now do you still want to scapegoat the nurses? "

I cant understand how they could spend that amount of money unless of course it was done on purpose

xxx

"The worlds tallest building in the world cost 1.5 billion. The children’s hospital is going to cost half a billion more than that. Think about that for a minute and then think what has caused that? And it was not nurses wages I can tell you that for nothing.

Now think about where that 2 billion is going????? It’s not anyone on a 39 hour week or a shift worker I can tell you. Now do you still want to scapegoat the nurses? "

someone talking sense at last !!

johnstown

Nurses at it again today..pity poor patients

louth

"Nurses at it again today..pity poor patients"

You wouldnt want to be sick in this country..our health service is nearly on par with that of a west african country

Afterwards it should actually be implimented across the public sector I agree with you on that

What about doctors? Or engineers? Agri-scientists? Solicitors? Micro-biologists? Etc etc? There not public sector should they do the same if they emigrate after getting a degree here? "

Was that for me? If so I think you missed my point

Its not a pay rise, its pay restoration.

By *un4tooCouple  over a year ago

north cork

Its not a pay rise, its pay restoration. Exactly! Nurses took a cut,they will never get back for them years,and now to blame them for new hospital cost or brexit! Come on now!

louth

What about doctors? Or engineers? Agri-scientists? Solicitors? Micro-biologists? Etc etc? There not public sector should they do the same if they emigrate after getting a degree here?

Was that for me? If so I think you missed my point "

Suppose the point he was making was that most new graduates in said professions have to emigrate if they want good working conditions..why should nurses be any different?

This attitude is so frustrating , im curious to know if it is just it an irish thing, but i digress there, lets save that one.

So if a lot of whats expressed above is true, what its saying is that if everyone else is in a crap job with crap conditions then nurses should be too?? And rather than improve their own situation, which is what the nurses are trying to do, the preferred option is to drag everybody down as well....?

Look nurses should be paid a proper wage, teachers should be paid a proper wage

Guards should be paid a proper wage

Soldiers should be paid a proper wage

In fact everybody should be paid a proper. And as long as this begrudging attiude continues the status quo will remain.

By *irdnBorisMan  over a year ago

meath

Totally agree with the nurses they dont get enough pay for the hard job they do in america they get 35 dollars an hour . Its ok if any of the goverment want a payrise they get it no problem and they do feck all only make crap decisions about most things . So yes nurses do a very difficult job at times and i think they deserve a payrise

Suppose the point he was making was that most new graduates in said professions have to emigrate if they want good working conditions..why should nurses be any different?"

Actually I think he was saying they should pay the tax payer back any public investment in their education.... which wasnt my point at all.

Was that for me? If so I think you missed my point "

No I did not miss your ill thought out point, iwhy should u differentiate as to what type of degree you get and whether or not a person chooses to work in the public or private sector? So a person gets a degree in nursing and emigrates and they should pay back their fees? What utter horseshit.....

on the hill NordWest of

No I did not miss your ill thought out point, iwhy should u differentiate as to what type of degree you get and whether or not a person chooses to work in the public or private sector? So a person gets a degree in nursing and emigrates and they should pay back their fees? What utter horseshit....."

Go on, it's quite sexy when you get worked up

" Go on, it's quite sexy when you get worked up "

Hahaha don’t be getting me started

No I did not miss your ill thought out point, iwhy should u differentiate as to what type of degree you get and whether or not a person chooses to work in the public or private sector? So a person gets a degree in nursing and emigrates and they should pay back their fees? What utter horseshit....."

I agree....

What I said was that after they are employed that a % any training or professinal development that is paid for by their employer (in this case the state) should be repaid, like it is in the private sector.

The poster above had mentioned fees going back to primary school, which is why I looked to see if you ment me.

If you still think I'm talking horseshit though Id be happy to discuss further

No I did not miss your ill thought out point, iwhy should u differentiate as to what type of degree you get and whether or not a person chooses to work in the public or private sector? So a person gets a degree in nursing and emigrates and they should pay back their fees? What utter horseshit.....

I agree....

What I said was that after they are employed that a % any training or professinal development that is paid for by their employer (in this case the state) should be repaid, like it is in the private sector.

The poster above had mentioned fees going back to primary school, which is why I looked to see if you ment me.

If you still think I'm talking horseshit though Id be happy to discuss further "

And student nurses are of no benefit to the hospitals no? Let’s apply that to medical students too shall we? Or say radiographes or physiotherapists who have paid college fees to qualify. Sorry but You clearly have no clue what your talking about

I agree....

And student nurses are of no benefit to the hospitals no? Let’s apply that to medical students too shall we? Or say radiographes or physiotherapists who have paid college fees to qualify. Sorry but You clearly have no clue what your talking about "

Again.... not talking about educational fees.

I am talking about further taining or professinal development any employees get once they are employed in a post. If you leave your job you pay a % of those fees if its with 18 - 24 months of the training.

Am I not explaining this right?

I agree....

And student nurses are of no benefit to the hospitals no? Let’s apply that to medical students too shall we? Or say radiographes or physiotherapists who have paid college fees to qualify. Sorry but You clearly have no clue what your talking about "

You do realise nursing is a degree that is ran by a university it’s not an apprenticeship in the HSE? So why the hell would a nurse have to pay back money for a course that he or she paid and studied for?

I agree....

And student nurses are of no benefit to the hospitals no? Let’s apply that to medical students too shall we? Or say radiographes or physiotherapists who have paid college fees to qualify. Sorry but You clearly have no clue what your talking about

I am talking about further taining or professinal development any employees get once they are employed in a post. If you leave your job you pay a % of those fees if its with 18 - 24 months of the training.

Am I not explaining this right?"

It’s not an apprenticeship nursing is a course ran by a university. The only thing you are explaining is your lack of knowledge.

I agree....

It’s not an apprenticeship nursing is a course ran by a university. The only thing you are explaining is your lack of knowledge. "

Can you point out where I have mentioned an appenticeship or where I said they need to pay back any fees relating to university? T

I agree....

It’s not an apprenticeship nursing is a course ran by a university. The only thing you are explaining is your lack of knowledge.

Can you point out where I have mentioned an appenticeship or where I said they need to pay back any fees relating to university? T"

I’m trying to explain to you that it’s a degree course ran by a university it’s NOT an internship ran by the HSE! there is NO obligation on the HSE or a student nurse to employ/or be employed by a hospital, just the same with medicine. Equally if u are a teacher there is no obligation to the school to hire someone doing a Hdip in education. There not getting paid for the work but they are doing the work. The student nurse is taking a university degree in nursing much the same as any other degree. It’s not run by a health board same as a law degree isn’t run by the DPP or the law society or a teaching degree isn’t run by the department of education. Studying nursing is not an apprenticeship stop regarding it as that

I agree....

Can you point out where I have mentioned an appenticeship or where I said they need to pay back any fees relating to university? T

I’m trying to explain to you that it’s a degree course ran by a university it’s NOT an internship ran by the HSE! there is NO obligation on the HSE or a student nurse to employ/or be employed by a hospital, just the same with medicine. Equally if u are a teacher there is no obligation to the school to hire someone doing a Hdip in education. There not getting paid for the work but they are doing the work. The student nurse is taking a university degree in nursing much the same as any other degree. It’s not run by a health board same as a law degree isn’t run by the DPP or the law society or a teaching degree isn’t run by the department of education. Studying nursing is not an apprenticeship stop regarding it as that "

You really are missing my point JD and I do think I have been clear.

I am talking about training or professinal development provided to already qualified nurses or anyone else in full emloyment by the state.

Not students nurses or medical students.

Fully qualified gainfully employed

Staff that leave a post.

I agree....

I’m trying to explain to you that it’s a degree course ran by a university it’s NOT an internship ran by the HSE! there is NO obligation on the HSE or a student nurse to employ/or be employed by a hospital, just the same with medicine. Equally if u are a teacher there is no obligation to the school to hire someone doing a Hdip in education. There not getting paid for the work but they are doing the work. The student nurse is taking a university degree in nursing much the same as any other degree. It’s not run by a health board same as a law degree isn’t run by the DPP or the law society or a teaching degree isn’t run by the department of education. Studying nursing is not an apprenticeship stop regarding it as that

I am talking about training or professinal development provided to already qualified nurses or anyone else in full emloyment by the state.

Staff that leave a post.

"

you are constantly moving the goalposts with your argument

Nurses who complete their degree and decide not to take up employment with the HSE are not leaving a post.... do you understand that?

Without getting into the basics of contract law, essentially there is no contract. however I will attempt to explain it to you once more without having to remind myself that there may be an example of the dunning-Kruger effect at play here. Ive highlighted examples of professional qualifications such as qualifications such as nurses teachers doctors solicitors engineers etc where a student educates themselves to a degree level in universities. they are not contracted while there being trained/getting their degrees. The courses are run by academic institutions yet you seem to be advocating nurses paying the state back for on the job training? First of all there’s no contract, secondly any such training is decided between an academic institution and a hospital and benefits the HSE same as schools benefit from student teachers or business students put in work placement in for example businesses.

A degree in nursing means your qualified as a nurse in other words ‘A nurse with a degree in nursing is already fully qualified when she gets her degree’ where he or she decides to gain employment is up to his or her. Or whether he or she becomes a nurse at all.

You seem to have this notion that if a person benefits from a HSE work environment that they should be contracted into it. Sorry to burst your bubble as regards your notion that people in the public sector seem to just up and leave after being up skilled that doesn’t actually happen. Any upskilling that the HSE (or any other Irish public body) pays for an individual working for them is obliged to stay for a set term or pays it back. So that argument isn’t valid at all. In other words you don’t know what your talking about.

I agree....

Staff that leave a post.

Nurses who complete their degree and decide not to take up employment with the HSE are not leaving a post.... do you understand that?

Without getting into the basics of contract law, essentially there is no contract. however I will attempt to explain it to you once more without having to remind myself that there may be an example of the dunning-Kruger effect at play here. Ive highlighted examples of professional qualifications such as qualifications such as nurses teachers doctors solicitors engineers etc where a student educates themselves to a degree level in universities. they are not contracted while there being trained/getting their degrees. The courses are run by academic institutions yet you seem to be advocating nurses paying the state back for on the job training? First of all there’s no contract, secondly any such training is decided between an academic institution and a hospital and benefits the HSE same as schools benefit from student teachers or business students put in work placement in for example businesses.

A degree in nursing means your qualified as a nurse in other words ‘A nurse with a degree in nursing is already fully qualified when she gets her degree’ where he or she decides to gain employment is up to his or her. Or whether he or she becomes a nurse at all.

You seem to have this notion that if a person benefits from a HSE work environment that they should be contracted into it. Sorry to burst your bubble as regards your notion that people in the public sector seem to just up and leave after being up skilled that doesn’t actually happen. Any upskilling that the HSE (or any other Irish public body) pays for an individual working for them is obliged to stay for a set term or pays it back. So that argument isn’t valid at all. In other words you don’t know what your talking about.

"

Ok so there is already a system in place where staff payback money spent on upskilling and professinal development? In that case great nevermind thats all I was suggesting be implimented as I was not aware it was.

I have never once mentioned any students paying back money for training while they were still gaining their degree you have completely misread that.

There has been no moving of the goalposts by me JD.

I agree....

Staff that leave a post.

Ok so there is already a system in place where staff payback money spent on upskilling and professinal development? In that case great nevermind thats all I was suggesting be implimented as I was not aware it was.

I have never once mentioned any students paying back money for training while they were still gaining their degree you have completely misread that.

"

Yes there is or do I have to explain it again? With the greatest of respect at this stage I’m getting fed up with having to debunk falsehoods that have been put out there in a public domain by people who don’t know what there talking about.

By *oserMan  over a year ago

where the wild roses grow

I agree....

Staff that leave a post.

Yes there is or do I have to explain it again? With the greatest of respect at this stage I’m getting fed up with having to debunk falsehoods that have been put out there in a public domain by people who don’t know what there talking about."

Ya wba?

I agree....

Staff that leave a post.

Yes there is or do I have to explain it again? With the greatest of respect at this stage I’m getting fed up with having to debunk falsehoods that have been put out there in a public domain by people who don’t know what there talking about."

Fair enough I didnt realise they were already in place....

Now speaking about not knowing what we are talking about still waiting for you to show me where i said anything about charging anyone still studying and changing the goalposts of my posts?

Or are we just going to ignore that?

I think that the bigger problem here is that people feel the need to quote the whole post of the person above them.

Qout the section only you are dealing with people. Make for better reading and keeps you on point.

And for my two cents on the whole situation....

No across the board pay rises. All nursing sector's dont deserve it. They knew what the pay was when they got onto the job.

Now the other elephant in the room is that the conditions that they work in should be improved! But paying them more is not going to fix their working conditions

"I think that the bigger problem here is that people feel the need to quote the whole post of the person above them.

Qout the section only you are dealing with people. Make for better reading and keeps you on point. "

My bad

Tipperary

"I think that the bigger problem here is that people feel the need to quote the whole post of the person above them.

Qout the section only you are dealing with people. Make for better reading and keeps you on point.

And for my two cents on the whole situation....

No across the board pay rises. All nursing sector's dont deserve it. They knew what the pay was when they got onto the job.

Now the other elephant in the room is that the conditions that they work in should be improved! But paying them more is not going to fix their working conditions "

how do you quote in sections?

" how do you quote in sections?"

hit quote and reply and delete what you don't want.

"

I’m pretty sure you said this?

“Look I know its not the exact same but you know we would have zero nurses if we went chasing them for all the money invested in them before their full time employment”

"

Training nurses costs the HSE nothing. The costs are entirely burdened on the student nurse in university fees but don’t let facts get in the way of a good falsehood.

"

Now speaking about not knowing what we are talking about still waiting for you to show me where i said anything about charging anyone still studying and changing the goalposts of my posts?

Or are we just going to ignore that?"

No I’m happy to point out where ur talking about something you clearly no nothing about but you know what no I’ve decided that I haven’t the time or the inclination to discuss anything more about it with you, I’ve better things to be doing with my time. Get your facts straight in future

"

“Look I know its not the exact same but you know we would have zero nurses if we went chasing them for all the money invested in them before their full time employment”

Training nurses costs the HSE nothing. The costs are entirely burdened on the student nurse in university fees but don’t let facts get in the way of a good falsehood.

No I’m happy to point out where ur talking about something you clearly no nothing about but you know what no I’ve decided that I haven’t the time or the inclination to discuss anything more about it with you, I’ve better things to be doing with my time. Get your facts straight in future "

Ah JD you really are clutching at straws now....

But look you cant find a quote that actually supports your argument so you are out of time I get it.

Have a good one

"

No I’m happy to point out where ur talking about something you clearly no nothing about but you know what no I’ve decided that I haven’t the time or the inclination to discuss anything more about it with you, I’ve better things to be doing with my time. Get your facts straight in future

Ah JD you really are clutching at straws now....

But look you cant find a quote that actually supports your argument so you are out of time I get it.

Have a good one "

God almighty, don’t be pathetic, perhaps you should get your facts straight before you open your mouth in future, you have proved already that you haven’t a clue what you are talking about so I’d suggest you stop giving an opinion based on ignorance

My word .. this thread is like an all you can eat buffet for Sapiophiles

"

God almighty, don’t be pathetic, perhaps you should get your facts straight before you open your mouth in future, you have proved already that you haven’t a clue what you are talking about so I’d suggest you stop giving an opinion based on ignorance"

Thought you were too busy

Look you came on challanging me about trying to penalising graduates for mlving abroad which I never said. My position is clear as day for anyone who wants to read back.

You got too worked up to backdown.

You did fill me in on the clause for employees which I was suggesting that I didnt realise was in place.

But sure look you had a narritive in your head and people were watching.

Think it was a bit of a missunderstanding.. I'm gonna take my ignorant pathetic ass and look at some boobies

Tipperary

[Removed by poster at 07/02/19 23:20:13]

Tipperary

" how do you quote in sections?

hit quote and reply and delete what you don't want. "

that didn't work

louth

" how do you quote in sections?

hit quote and reply and delete what you don't want. that didn't work "

It works but you cant leave any spaces between the brackets at each end ..would definitely make for better forum reading

"

God almighty, don’t be pathetic, perhaps you should get your facts straight before you open your mouth in future, you have proved already that you haven’t a clue what you are talking about so I’d suggest you stop giving an opinion based on ignorance

Look you came on challanging me about trying to penalising graduates for mlving abroad which I never said. My position is clear as day for anyone who wants to read back.

You did fill me in on the clause for employees which I was suggesting that I didnt realise was in place.

Think it was a bit of a missunderstanding.. I'm gonna take my ignorant pathetic ass and look at some boobies

"

You go and do that as I’m sure your far more qualified to do that rather than talking rubbish about nursing, which you clearly know very little about.

Oh and as an aside, you might refrain from attempting to tell me what I’m thinking or how I’m reacting as I’m afraid you clearly don’t have the intellectual capacity to do that

Good luck now

By *ohndunboyneMan  over a year ago

Dunboyne & Dublin

Holy Fuck!

That took longer to scroll through than any Fab thread I've ever read.

So, guess what?

I haven't read all of it, so

Learn how to copy paste the relevant bit of the last post, to further your debate, or you lose the audience. Oh yeah! The voters!

I know F all about the strike and am only commenting on your lack of brevity, hence ridiculing your ability to debate

By *ustin-SiderMan  over a year ago

Belfast

"Holy Fuck!

That took longer to scroll through than any Fab thread I've ever read.

So, guess what?

I haven't read all of it, so

Learn how to copy paste the relevant bit of the last post, to further your debate, or you lose the audience. Oh yeah! The voters!

I know F all about the strike and am only commenting on your lack of brevity, hence ridiculing your ability to debate "

It was the most enthralling thread I have read on here I think.

I didn't want to read any more yet couldn't help but keep checking on it. Lol

"

You go and do that as I’m sure your far more qualified to do that rather than talking rubbish about nursing, which you clearly know very little about.

Oh and as an aside, you might refrain from attempting to tell me what I’m thinking or how I’m reacting as I’m afraid you clearly don’t have the intellectual capacity to do that

Good luck now "

Don't you get it long John silver or whatever the feck he calls himself is always right even when he hasn't a clue what he is talking about.

johnstown

Everybody saying the populist thing why not speak yer minds like peter casey did with the travelers .nurses all pretty well to do

" Don't you get it long John silver or whatever the feck he calls himself is always right even when he hasn't a clue what he is talking about.

"

Ah dont mind Long John... he is the black sheep of the family... gives the rest of us Silvers a bad name

xxx

Ah dont mind Long John... he is the black sheep of the family... gives the rest of us Silvers a bad name

Ahhhh you got the copy and paste thing ....wooo hoooo

"

Ahhhh you got the copy and paste thing ....wooo hoooo"

Better than you apparently

Ah sure I am but simple boy but I will learn

"This attitude is so frustrating , im curious to know if it is just it an irish thing, but i digress there, lets save that one.

So if a lot of whats expressed above is true, what its saying is that if everyone else is in a crap job with crap conditions then nurses should be too?? And rather than improve their own situation, which is what the nurses are trying to do, the preferred option is to drag everybody down as well....?

Look nurses should be paid a proper wage, teachers should be paid a proper wage

Guards should be paid a proper wage

Soldiers should be paid a proper wage

In fact everybody should be paid a proper. And as long as this begrudging attiude continues the status quo will remain. "

soldiers for doing what

As a HSE employee I think the nurses are right to strick, it is more than just a pay rise they are looking for. They are looking for safer working conditions as well. Hospitals under staffed, patient client ratios well over the recommended ratio. Working 13 hour shifts with no breaks on days. And people wonder why there are mistakes been made in these situations.

For every 6 six nurses jobs advertised there is one applicant!

This is purely a reflection of remuneration.

After 4 years in university a nurse will have to work an internship of 9 months for just €10 an hour before deductions.

Mary could work in a factory putting four screws in every vacuum that passes her on a conveyor belt and earn more money than that.

Mary won’t have to attend university for 4 years.

Mary won’t have to pay out of her own money to become a registered assembly line worker.

Mary will never be assaulted while she’s at work.

If Mary only put 3 screws in a vacuum she won’t be struck off or face court proceedings.

If Mary can’t be arsed in a Monday morning, Patsy and Kathleen will probably take up the slack without even knowing.

Mary probably gets a tea break in the morning, an hour for lunch then another tea break in the afternoon.

Mary probably won’t ever have someone’s life in her hands.

Mary didn’t lose a percentage of her wage in during the recession.

Mary isn’t earning less in 2019 than she was in 2008.

SUPPORT THE NURSES!!!

One day you or you’re family will need them.

Surely you want the best that are available.

Surely you want enough of them to make a difference

Surely they deserve to get paid a wage that reflects the job they do.

xxx

"For every 6 six nurses jobs advertised there is one applicant!

After 4 years in university a nurse will have to work an internship of 9 months for just €10 an hour before deductions.

Mary could work in a factory putting four screws in every vacuum that passes her on a conveyor belt and earn more money than that.

Mary won’t have to pay out of her own money to become a registered assembly line worker.

If Mary only put 3 screws in a vacuum she won’t be struck off or face court proceedings.

If Mary can’t be arsed in a Monday morning, Patsy and Kathleen will probably take up the slack without even knowing.

Mary probably gets a tea break in the morning, an hour for lunch then another tea break in the afternoon.

SUPPORT THE NURSES!!!

"

Here here my good man let mary from the factory look after anyone that doubts what nurses do or the level of their training. Id like to see some of these people when they arrive whinging into A&E

louth

SUPPORT THE NURSES!!!

"

I think the whole point of the 9 month internship is to find out if the person is competent enough to be a nurse..many many people complete college degrees but have very little hands on experience..maybe its the education system thats flawed and when you think of it 4 years of theory in a classroom with very little practical experience is not going to fully equip you with the necessary skills to be a nurse is it..you might know the basics until you get more experience on the 9 month internship..so the pay should reflect their level of expetience..everybody should start at the bottom

SUPPORT THE NURSES!!!

I think the whole point of the 9 month internship is to find out if the person is competent enough to be a nurse..many many people complete college degrees but have very little hands on experience..maybe its the education system thats flawed and when you think of it 4 years of theory in a classroom with very little practical experience is not going to fully equip you with the necessary skills to be a nurse is it..you might know the basics until you get more experience on the 9 month internship..so the pay should reflect their level of expetience..everybody should start at the bottom "

I think you’ll find the bottom is a first year student nurse.

Competence is assessed constantly throughout the four year program. The odd one met get through, but maybe that down to lack of bodies for jobs, who knows?

So after internship come fully qualified staff nurse. Wage is just above €28k per annum. Do you think that reflects the responsibility of a professional nurse?

There’s something seriously wrong where an HSE healthcare assistant can earn now what it’ll take a nurse 9 years to achieve! That’s four years training without pay and 5 years on the job.

I value the work of HCAs. I even feel they don’t get paid enough for the work they do. But I also think it’s a tragedy that nurses can’t complete with the wage of a HCA for 9 years.

Another interesting fact was revealed by the CSO after the last census. Would you believe that nursing is considered a lower ‘class’ profession that being a receptionist.

Remember that one the next time a nurse is looking after your loved one.

The guy above who said the hse doesn't pay for nurse training because the university does has to work for the hse because that's hse logic right there.

It's the same logic they applied when they replace aer arran doing medical evacuation from the islands and replaced it with aer corps. It saved the hse 1000 a patient but cost the dept of defence 15000 a patient. The hse must have promoted the genius for saving the hse money.

I can only conclude they think hse euros are grown on trees......

It's pretty obvious the pr guys have gotten to work on the INMO because they have stopped rolling out the newly qualified nurses saying they won't work in Ireland because the pay and conditions are shite.

I'm puzzled. The pay and conditions of student nurses and nurses are shite yet the education is so damn good that these poor abused students are snapped up in Dubai and Australia.

Sorry it can't be both. Its good or its bad.

Pity politicians don't have the balls to announce that from 2023 say if you train as a nurse doctor or other high cost vocational training here you must sign up for 5 years post training work.

If you don't want to give back some of the cost you put your country to. Well then guess what. You can fuck off to Dubai and train there. Bet you will just love it.

It's plain stoopid to train 10 nurses to keep one. Let's change that from the right side.

But we don't have any politicians with balls.

"It's pretty obvious the pr guys have gotten to work on the INMO because they have stopped rolling out the newly qualified nurses saying they won't work in Ireland because the pay and conditions are shite.

I'm puzzled. The pay and conditions of student nurses and nurses are shite yet the education is so damn good that these poor abused students are snapped up in Dubai and Australia.

Sorry it can't be both. Its good or its bad.

Pity politicians don't have the balls to announce that from 2023 say if you train as a nurse doctor or other high cost vocational training here you must sign up for 5 years post training work.

If you don't want to give back some of the cost you put your country to. Well then guess what. You can fuck off to Dubai and train there. Bet you will just love it.

It's plain stoopid to train 10 nurses to keep one. Let's change that from the right side.

But we don't have any politicians with balls. "

Woa there hoss!!!!

Who exactly do you think is paying to train the nurse?

Most of the people I know are paying their own fees. Half of their four year program is spent in practice placement, where the students work for 12 or 13 hours a day for ZERO financial reward.

How many Irish trained carpenters, plumbers, electricians, block layers, mechanics, etc, etc, etc, now ply their trade abroad??

Is it ok for them to move away to find decent paying work when all that was on offer in Ireland was a basic wage, but not the nurses.

You’re correct about the politicians though. They need to grow balls. Unfortunately stopping people from leaving Ireland to earn a fair wage isn’t gonna cut it though.

More of the self delusion here. No registration fee covers more than a fraction of the cost of training. Latest figures for doctors says it costs 300k to train a doctor and 300k more for specialist training. Surprise surprise the INMO don't have figures for costing nurse training. I wonder why?

The plumbers you are talking about aren't walking out of work three days this week claiming its for the betterment of water pipes.

I'm sorry. You are striking for more money. Nothing more.

You would be stopped in your tracks if Simon Harris announced that in future you sign a contract to work when you are trained.

"More of the self delusion here. No registration fee covers more than a fraction of the cost of training. Latest figures for doctors says it costs 300k to train a doctor and 300k more for specialist training. Surprise surprise the INMO don't have figures for costing nurse training. I wonder why?

The plumbers you are talking about aren't walking out of work three days this week claiming its for the betterment of water pipes.

You would be stopped in your tracks if Simon Harris announced that in future you sign a contract to work when you are trained.

"

Ah so even though student pay fees from their own pockets you want them tied to a contract that keeps them from earning a decent wage?

I have no idea what industry you’re connected with. I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t be in it if the remuneration didn’t match the responsibility.

In the world your ideas portray, there wouldn’t be any nurses. Why would anyone devote 4 years training for ten years minimum wage? That wouldn’t make sense to even the stupidest among us.

Of course the industrial action is about pay. One applicant for every six vacancies! This equates to understaffed hospitals, etc, etc. It’s not rocket science! Did you think the lack of interest is because they don’t like the uniform?

In you’re dystopia there’d be no nurses. They’d all be train drivers.

By *samaleMan  over a year ago

tralee/newcastlewest

"More of the self delusion here. No registration fee covers more than a fraction of the cost of training. Latest figures for doctors says it costs 300k to train a doctor and 300k more for specialist training. Surprise surprise the INMO don't have figures for costing nurse training. I wonder why?

Ah so even though student pay fees from their own pockets you want them tied to a contract that keeps them from earning a decent wage?

I have no idea what industry you’re connected with. I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t be in it if the remuneration didn’t match the responsibility.

In the world your ideas portray, there wouldn’t be any nurses. Why would anyone devote 4 years training for ten years minimum wage? That wouldn’t make sense to even the stupidest among us.

Of course the industrial action is about pay. One applicant for every six vacancies! This equates to understaffed hospitals, etc, etc. It’s not rocket science! Did you think the lack of interest is because they don’t like the uniform?

In you’re dystopia there’d be no nurses. They’d all be train drivers. "

» Add a new message to this topic