Is that his career now over ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Is that his career now over ? "
wouldnt think so probally make him more famous seems to be a trend in Hollywood

By *hloe sussex OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Larne

"Is that his career now over ? wouldnt think so probally make him more famous seems to be a trend in Hollywood "
Remember Mel Gibson insulting Jewish ppl he went into the Hollywood wilderness for about 10 yrs

What has Liam done

Think this is all being blown out of proportion honestly. He was discussing his motivation behind a character in a film that is looking for vengeance and he discussed a moment in his life a long time ago where one of his friends was sexually assaulted by a black man and in the period following that he explained that for the week after he was hoping a “black bastard” (he used air quotes to express this) would start on him so he would have a reason to fight them. After the week he was disgusted at himself for his thought process and realised how wrong it was..but he explained that he grew up in Northern Ireland during the troubles and had experienced “vengeance” as a good thing and just and in Northern Ireland at the time there would’ve been a lot of racial prejudices.

The interview in question lead to the media warping what he said to make sensaitonalist news headlines calling him a racist and what not, but I think is far from it. He had the brief period where he wanted vengeance on a particular race and then realised after the few days how disgusting that thought was and it was an act of an individual..sorry for the rant I just am hating how much tabloids are twisting words recently

By *adylaceWoman  over a year ago

Waterford City

"Think this is all being blown out of proportion honestly. He was discussing his motivation behind a character in a film that is looking for vengeance and he discussed a moment in his life a long time ago where one of his friends was sexually assaulted by a black man and in the period following that he explained that for the week after he was hoping a “black bastard” (he used air quotes to express this) would start on him so he would have a reason to fight them. After the week he was disgusted at himself for his thought process and realised how wrong it was..but he explained that he grew up in Northern Ireland during the troubles and had experienced “vengeance” as a good thing and just and in Northern Ireland at the time there would’ve been a lot of racial prejudices.

The interview in question lead to the media warping what he said to make sensaitonalist news headlines calling him a racist and what not, but I think is far from it. He had the brief period where he wanted vengeance on a particular race and then realised after the few days how disgusting that thought was and it was an act of an individual..sorry for the rant I just am hating how much tabloids are twisting words recently "

Thank you. I was hoping someone would clarify what was actually said here. I heard the full explanation on the radio yesterday and all I’m hearing is the twisted version since. I’ve caught myself shouting at the tv and radio a couple of times today over it.

I'm with John Barnes on this one.

And Irishrugbyguy too explains it well.

By *antra MassageMan  over a year ago

Wicklow

I read the papers. he is in all the headlines today. If you can read between the lines, he was being very honest, and emotional in his interview, almost a bit like a counselling session with a therapist. He was recounting how he expressed his anger after his friend was rxxxxd. And sometimes we can do dodgy things when anger takes over, including looking for trouble in dodgy places. Anger, and revenge... Two things that can get you in the shit. I've often felt like that, but never gave an interview about it. He was a bit naive to tell all to the journalist.

By *evil_u_knowMan  over a year ago

city

If anyone tries end his career their phone will ring.

"You don't know who I am, but.."

"Sure I do, you're liam neeson"

"well then you know you dun fucked up son"

By *ontbesillywrapyourwillyMan  over a year ago

Tipperary

Read john Barnes. That's all u have to do

By *oxyvixen99Woman  over a year ago

Newtownabbey

John Barnes spoke so well on it

"I read the papers. he is in all the headlines today. If you can read between the lines, he was being very honest, and emotional in his interview, almost a bit like a counselling session with a therapist. He was recounting how he expressed his anger after his friend was rxxxxd. And sometimes we can do dodgy things when anger takes over, including looking for trouble in dodgy places. Anger, and revenge... Two things that can get you in the shit. I've often felt like that, but never gave an interview about it. He was a bit naive to tell all to the journalist. "

I agree! I would have assumed he was media savvy given his career and experience in showbiz...Really surprised by it

He was honest about it and it happened years ago. People make mistakes.

The only thing the big man done wrong was say what he did in public. Hope nothing comes of what was said.

"He was honest about it and it happened years ago. People make mistakes. "

His one was sharing these thoughts with anyone besides his therapist. We all have bad shit going on in our heads.

By *osmicGateMan  over a year ago

louth

"The only thing the big man done wrong was say what he did in public. Hope nothing comes of what was said. "

Therein lies the problem..he spoke his mind and we have people being offended for the sake of being offended..suppose its something to fill the void eh..most people think the same way he does only are too afraid to speak their minds for fear of a backlash

By *P_80Man  over a year ago

Waterford

Just another example of this modern idea that truth should be oppressed at all cost because small minded idiots are too mentally retarded to think and make opinions of their own.

A man expresses a low point in his life mentally where he thought some ignorant shit, realized it was a negative mindset to be in and admits he was wrong in thinking that way.

And what do we have, retards jumping on the media bandwagon because it probably hurts to think for themselves.

So yet again, in this dumbed down society of tabloids and sensationalism, a man is to be ridiculed for expressing himself honestly.

Sad to say that keeping quiet is the safest option nowadays.

This stuff sickens my shit.

Good on him for being man enough to admit he has harboured these thoughts during his life.

Most of us have had these kind of thoughts about a certain community in Ireland whether right or wrong.

By *eckyJayCouple  over a year ago

northampton

"Just another example of this modern idea that truth should be oppressed at all cost because small minded idiots are too mentally retarded to think and make opinions of their own.

A man expresses a low point in his life mentally where he thought some ignorant shit, realized it was a negative mindset to be in and admits he was wrong in thinking that way.

And what do we have, retards jumping on the media bandwagon because it probably hurts to think for themselves.

So yet again, in this dumbed down society of tabloids and sensationalism, a man is to be ridiculed for expressing himself honestly.

Good on him for being man enough to admit he has harboured these thoughts during his life.

Most of us have had these kind of thoughts about a certain community in Ireland whether right or wrong."

I hope this is tongue-in-cheek or an inside joke.

I don’t think he is being ridiculed for just expressing himself honestly - you mention sensationalism...

The low point is that he was almost prepared to act on his prejudices but those prejudices were built up over many years; I don’t think you’re suggesting that this is just something that came about in a week and disappeared a few days later. This conversation is definitely warranted irrespective of whether you think people are retards for escalating the issue.

And speak for yourself please when you say most of us have had certain thoughts... no.

By *hockywockydodaMan  over a year ago

CORK

There is thing as bad publicity , a well staged stunt to coincide with release of his latest Revenge movie, Eire ya boy

By *hockywockydodaMan  over a year ago

CORK

There is thing as bad publicity , a well staged stunt to coincide with release of his latest Revenge movie, Eire ya boy

Waterford

"Just another example of this modern idea that truth should be oppressed at all cost because small minded idiots are too mentally retarded to think and make opinions of their own.

Most of us have had these kind of thoughts about a certain community in Ireland whether right or wrong.

I don’t think he is being ridiculed for just expressing himself honestly - you mention sensationalism...

The low point is that he was almost prepared to act on his prejudices but those prejudices were built up over many years; I don’t think you’re suggesting that this is just something that came about in a week and disappeared a few days later. This conversation is definitely warranted irrespective of whether you think people are retards for escalating the issue.

And speak for yourself please when you say most of us have had certain thoughts... no."

Yes the conversation is warranted, but my point is that he will be branded a racist now because of admitting ignorant thoughts he had in his head years ago.

Was he a racist years ago? Maybe, maybe not. People can't change?

It's like the Keven Hart incident a few weeks ago. People started losing their shit over a homophobic tweet he posted 10 bloody years ago.

Should people be branded for life over every silly thing they may have said in the past?

Oh, and good for you for never once having an ignorant or prejudice thought ever in your whole life....ever.

By *BelfastGuyMan  over a year ago

Belfast

All in context. You need to hear the full interview not just the 15sec sound bite.

By *evil_u_knowMan  over a year ago

city

Just this stupid modern world, a man cant have a thought anymore even.

Waterford

"Just this stupid modern world, a man cant have a thought anymore even."

Not only that, but he can't even admit to being wrong for previously having such thoughts.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

How would he have reacted if the perpetrator had been white with blond hair?

And speak for yourself please when you say most of us have had certain thoughts... no.

Yes the conversation is warranted, but my point is that he will be branded a racist now because of admitting ignorant thoughts he had in his head years ago.

It's like the Keven Hart incident a few weeks ago. People started losing their shit over a homophobic tweet he posted 10 bloody years ago.

Should people be branded for life over every silly thing they may have said in the past?

Oh, and good for you for never once having an ignorant or prejudice thought ever in your whole life....ever."

northampton

"

Oh, and good for you for never once having an ignorant or prejudice thought ever in your whole life....ever."

Was he racist years ago? I don’t know for sure about time frame but yes I strongly suspect at some juncture he was.

Can people change? Yes.

Do I think he should be branded a racist for the rest of his life? Not at all.

I didn’t say I’ve never had an ignorant thought, I was responded to your comment about most people having had these thoughts. “These” being disliking a group of people based on skin colour, accent - that sort of thing.

People are losing their shit on both sides of the argument, obviously.

Most of us have had these kind of thoughts about a certain community in Ireland whether right or wrong."

northampton

"Just this stupid modern world, a man cant have a thought anymore even.

Not only that, but he can't even admit to being wrong for previously having such thoughts."

Credit to him for being honest about it and admitting he was wrong, that must be said.

We can have thoughts whenever we want but having brought this out to the public what was he expecting? A pat on the back and “no worries, mate”?

I don’t doubt that some people are going over the top. But overall if you admit to any crap in public people are going to take a view on that. What do people expect?

I think you have to one realise th context, he was talking about why vengeance is a bad thing, two you need to realise where and when he grew up and how that shaped his views on things and three the man said looking back on it he is ashamed and totally remorseful for having such thoughts

People need to stop getting overly offended and offended on behalf of others

By *eductively_SweetWoman  over a year ago

wexford

"Think this is all being blown out of proportion honestly. He was discussing his motivation behind a character in a film that is looking for vengeance and he discussed a moment in his life a long time ago where one of his friends was sexually assaulted by a black man and in the period following that he explained that for the week after he was hoping a “black bastard” (he used air quotes to express this) would start on him so he would have a reason to fight them. After the week he was disgusted at himself for his thought process and realised how wrong it was..but he explained that he grew up in Northern Ireland during the troubles and had experienced “vengeance” as a good thing and just and in Northern Ireland at the time there would’ve been a lot of racial prejudices.

The interview in question lead to the media warping what he said to make sensaitonalist news headlines calling him a racist and what not, but I think is far from it. He had the brief period where he wanted vengeance on a particular race and then realised after the few days how disgusting that thought was and it was an act of an individual..sorry for the rant I just am hating how much tabloids are twisting words recently "

Well put.. ppl do love to stick the knife in and twist

Waterford

"

Oh, and good for you for never once having an ignorant or prejudice thought ever in your whole life....ever.

Was he racist years ago? I don’t know for sure about time frame but yes I strongly suspect at some juncture he was.

Can people change? Yes.

Do I think he should be branded a racist for the rest of his life? Not at all.

I didn’t say I’ve never had an ignorant thought, I was responded to your comment about most people having had these thoughts. “These” being disliking a group of people based on skin colour, accent - that sort of thing.

People are losing their shit on both sides of the argument, obviously."

Just to clarify, when I mentioned most of us have had these thoughts, I referred to a "particular community in Ireland".

And yes, most settled Irish people are guilty of this, myself included.

My point was should we be ridiculed for having these thoughts in our past even though we've now grown to realized that we were wrong? What's wrong with admitting it?

I'm not fighting with you pal. I have no knowledge of what you may or may not have experienced in your life but I wish you the best and no bad blood eh?

» Add a new message to this topic