FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Head gasket!!!

Head gasket!!!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oshua2659 OP   Man  over a year ago

Dublin

Totally off topic but can any mechanic out there give me some help ... Putting oil in the car this morning and noticed a creamy off color yellow gunk on the oil cap ... Absolutely sweating now as I've been googling all day and all indications are showing head gasket failure ! Im thinking cost roughly what am I looking at

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ombikerMan  over a year ago

the right side of the river

What sort of a car?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Totally off topic but can any mechanic out there give me some help ... Putting oil in the car this morning and noticed a creamy off color yellow gunk on the oil cap ... Absolutely sweating now as I've been googling all day and all indications are showing head gasket failure ! Im thinking cost roughly what am I looking at "

First things first every car has an economic value, depending on Type age mileage ect. If you have an new expensive car,its worth while to carry out major engine surgery,if the car is old and so forth,it wouldnt make economic sense to fix it, sell car for scrap and invest the scrap money into a new one .These two senarios will will dictate youre descision really .A good Mechanic will tell you pretty quickly .Hopefully ould bessy isnt for the breakers . H

Dublin

Audi A3

Dublin

"Totally off topic but can any mechanic out there give me some help ... Putting oil in the car this morning and noticed a creamy off color yellow gunk on the oil cap ... Absolutely sweating now as I've been googling all day and all indications are showing head gasket failure ! Im thinking cost roughly what am I looking at

First things first every car has an economic value, depending on Type age mileage ect. If you have an new expensive car,its worth while to carry out major engine surgery,if the car is old and so forth,it wouldnt make economic sense to fix it, sell car for scrap and invest the scrap money into a new one .These two senarios will will dictate youre descision really .A good Mechanic will tell you pretty quickly .Hopefully ould bessy isnt for the breakers . H"

Love the car and spent good money on it be a shame to scrap ... Im thinking of its the difference of a few hundred euro in comparison to thousands on a new motor I'd go with the fix

"Totally off topic but can any mechanic out there give me some help ... Putting oil in the car this morning and noticed a creamy off color yellow gunk on the oil cap ... Absolutely sweating now as I've been googling all day and all indications are showing head gasket failure ! Im thinking cost roughly what am I looking at

First things first every car has an economic value, depending on Type age mileage ect. If you have an new expensive car,its worth while to carry out major engine surgery,if the car is old and so forth,it wouldnt make economic sense to fix it, sell car for scrap and invest the scrap money into a new one .These two senarios will will dictate youre descision really .A good Mechanic will tell you pretty quickly .Hopefully ould bessy isnt for the breakers . H

Love the car and spent good money on it be a shame to scrap ... Im thinking of its the difference of a few hundred euro in comparison to thousands on a new motor I'd go with the fix "

Had that problem a few years ago with my car. It would have been a few hundred if I hadn't been lucky enough to have a very good friend who sourced the parts needed and did the whole job by himself, just to save me the expense. If you love your car and you're happy to pay to fix it, I'd say go for it.

What year op

Sounds like the beginning of hg problem but would need to be looked at coolant loss is also a sign could be condensation

Also not trying to land a dig but people's perception that Audi are a good car is a joke. People pay over the odds for Audis and secondhand Audis are too inflated.

Would not own one would keep my money and buy a passat for less

Love the car and spent good money on it be a shame to scrap ... Im thinking of its the difference of a few hundred euro in comparison to thousands on a new motor I'd go with the fix "

I know the feeling ,sentiment builds up over the years ,just like on old on/ off girlfreind. H

Dublin

Love the car and spent good money on it be a shame to scrap ... Im thinking of its the difference of a few hundred euro in comparison to thousands on a new motor I'd go with the fix I know the feeling ,sentiment builds up over the years ,just like on old on/ off girlfreind. H"

This is true! ... I may get a price and go from there... A couple of friends of mine are mechanics so

By *ndrew1972Man  over a year ago

Roscrea

Have you checked the coolant level? If head gasket was going you be topping it up every day. I wouldn't be too concerned about gunk on the oil filler cap. Check the oil on yhe dipstick, if it's a greyish colour or grey specks then you might have head gasket trouble. Also, when the engine is cold open the cap on the coolant resevoir, if you hear the hissing noise of pressure being released that is another warning sign of gasket trouble.

Sounds like head gasket alright dude. U can get a thing called k-seal that actually works. I had an avensis and the head gasket blew blew. On the fucking motorway too off all places. But after getting it home i was told about that thing. Its like 50euro ish but ur talking 400 or 500 to fix a head gasket. I ended up getting a few months out off her with that stuff. U just pour it straight into the rad

By *obby931000Man  over a year ago

new york city

Head gasket takes a week or two to do as they have to send the block away to get skimmed, German Petrol cars are renound for thee head gaskets going. A3 if it’s older that 2008 or has more than 200000 on the clock sell it and get another, scrap dealers will pick it up for you and if your feeling generous you can donate it to your local fire department so the can have real training and afterwards they scrap it and give the money to charity

Dublin

"Have you checked the coolant level? If head gasket was going you be topping it up every day. I wouldn't be too concerned about gunk on the oil filler cap. Check the oil on yhe dipstick, if it's a greyish colour or grey specks then you might have head gasket trouble. Also, when the engine is cold open the cap on the coolant resevoir, if you hear the hissing noise of pressure being released that is another warning sign of gasket trouble. "

Haven't had to top up the coolant as the levels look fine checked it twice today looks okay ... Ckeaned the cap came home from work and there is another small build up

Dublin

Cheers for the advice!

By *eeperscreepersMan  over a year ago

Tipp

If it is built up again that quickly it's definitely a HG failure I'm afraid. Probably the bones of 4-500 quid to sort.

If you went down the route of repairs, I'd do a new timing belt kit and water pump while I was at it unless done recently

By *irtypair00Couple  over a year ago

Dublin

"

Haven't had to top up the coolant as the levels look fine checked it twice today looks okay ... Ckeaned the cap came home from work and there is another small build up "

You could also have an issue with a blocked crank case breather not letting inside the engine breath .

So condensation can build up inside and mix with the oil and also cause the same creamy looking oil under the cap .

Mr dirty

Dublin

"If it is built up again that quickly it's definitely a HG failure I'm afraid. Probably the bones of 4-500 quid to sort.

If you went down the route of repairs, I'd do a new timing belt kit and water pump while I was at it unless done recently"

Will enquire thanks for the advice

Dublin

"

Haven't had to top up the coolant as the levels look fine checked it twice today looks okay ... Ckeaned the cap came home from work and there is another small build up

You could also have an issue with a blocked crank case breather not

letting inside the engine breath .

So condensation can build up inside and mix with the oil and also cause the same creamy looking oil under the cap .

Mr dirty "

Noted.. Ill have to get it up on a ramp and checked to see the full extent thanks

"

You could also have an issue with a blocked crank case breather not letting inside the engine breath .

Mr dirty "

As above commonplace with VW/Audi, happened with my 2.0 Gti Golf...don't be panicking just yet!!

By *edonistsatplayCouple  over a year ago

Portsmouth, North Brittany, France

Just to throw another spanner in the works.. (sorry poor joke!)

If you have large amounts of water (condensation) in the engine, the oil will emulsify (sp!) which basically means you could be knocking out the all the bearings etc - mega problems! I'd suggest not using it until you've has it checked over

» Add a new message to this topic