FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Are You One Of The 10%.

Are You One Of The 10%.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

If you can pronounce correctly every word in this poem, you will be speaking English better than 90% of the native English speakers in the World.

Will you give it a try?

Dearest creature in creation, study English in pronunciation. I will teach you in my verse, sounds like corpse, corps, and horse and worse. I will keep you, Suzy, busy, make your head with heat grow dizzy, tear in eye, your dress will tear. So shall I! Oh hear my prayer, just compare heart, beard, and heard, dies and diet, lord and word, sword and sward, retain and Britain. ( mind the latter, how its written.) Now I surely will not plague you, with such words as plague and ague. But be careful how you speak: Say break and steak, but bleak and streak; Cloven, oven, how and low, script, receipt, show, poem, and toe. Hear me say, devoid of trickery, daughter, laughter, and terpsichore, typhoid, measles, topsails, aisles, exiles, smiles and reviles; one, anemone, Balmoral,kitchen, lichen, laundry, laurel; Gertrude, German, wind and mind, scene, melpomene, mankind. Billet does not rhyme with ballet, bouquet, wallet, mallet, chalet. Blood and flood are not like food, nor is mould like should and would. Viscous, viscount, lord and broad, toward, to forward, to reward. And your pronunciations OK when you correctly say croquet, rounded, wounded, grieve and sieve, friend and fiend, alive and live. Ivy, privy, famous; clamour and endeavour rhyme and hammer. River, rival, tomb, bomb, comb, doll and roll and some and home. Stranger does not rhyme with anger, neither does devour and clangour. Souls but foul, haunt but aunt, font, front, wont, want, grand, and grant, shoes, goes, does. Now first say finger, and then singer, ginger, linger, real, xeal, mauve, gauge, gouge and gauge. Marriage, foliage, mirage and age. Query does not rhyme with very, nor does fury sound like bury. Dost, lost, post, and doth, cloth, loth, job, nob, bosom, transum, oath. Though the difference seem little, we say actual but victual. Refer does not rhyme with deafer, and zephyr, heifer, mint, pint, senate and sedate; dull, bull, and George ate late. Scenic, Arabic, Pacific, science, conscience, scientific. Liberty, library, heave, and heaven, Rachel, ache, moustache, eleven. We say hallowed, but allowed, people, leopard, towed, but vowed. Mark the differences, moreover, between mover, cover, clover; Leeches, breeches, wise, precise, chalice, but police and lice; Camel, constable, unstable, principle, disciple, label, petal, panel, and canal, wait, surprise, plait, promise, pal, worm and storm, chaise, chaos, chair, senator, spectator, mayor. Tour, but our and seccour, four. Gas,alas, and Arkansas. Sea, idea, Korea, area, psalm, Maria, but malaria. Youth, south, southern, cleanse and clean. Doctrine, turpentine, marine. Compare, alien with Italian, dandelion and battalion. Sally with ally, yea, ye, eye, I, ay, aye, whey and key. Say aver, but ever, fever, neither, leisure, skein, deceiver. Heron, granary, canary. Crevice and device and arie. Face but preface, not efface. Phlegm, phlegmatic, ass, glass, bass. Large, but target, gin, give, verging, ought, out, joust and scour, scourging. Ear, but earn and wear and tear do not rhyme with here but ear. Seven is right, but so is even, hyphen, roughen, nephew. Stephen, monkey, donkey, turk and jerk, ask, grasp, wasp, and cork and work. Pronunciation (think of Psyche!) is a paling stout and spikey? Wont it make you lose your wits, writing, groats and saying grits? Its a dark abyss or tunnel: Strewn with stones, stowed, solace, gunwale,Islington and Isle of Wight, housewife, verdict and indict. Finally, which rhymes with enough. Through, throug, plough, or dough, or cough? Hiccough has the sound of cup. My advice is to give up!!!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Done...and correctly I think..

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

I gave up after three lines.

I got half way and called it a day

"I gave up after three lines. "

We have a very similar attention span

By *ichael McCarthyMan  over a year ago

Lucan

There are four words in there that I haven't heard before. The only one I can remember now is ague. What the feck is that?

Got bored half way through

"There are four words in there that I haven't heard before. The only one I can remember now is ague. What the feck is that? "

haha, I don't know, I might have mispelt it I just liked the title, I thought if I wrote it out, I would be eligible to join the 10%

By *ichael McCarthyMan  over a year ago

Lucan

"There are four words in there that I haven't heard before. The only one I can remember now is ague. What the feck is that?

haha, I don't know, I might have mispelt it I just liked the title, I thought if I wrote it out, I would be eligible to join the 10% "

I believe ya! Millions wouldn't!

I see it's a real word meaning fever or something along those lines.

By *hocko87Man  over a year ago

dublin

Fuck me where did you get that from . That's bloody good a right tongue twister .

"Got bored half way through "

Me too

I really enjoyed that, it's very clever.

"I really enjoyed that, it's very clever. "

I thought you might.

"I really enjoyed that, it's very clever.

I thought you might. "

Did you really?

By *adame BWoman  over a year ago

C'est moi Boudoir

Have come across this a few times and love it as I can get most of the way through before I stutter and then I make a bags of the end because I am laughing...puts me in the 15% bracket I think

Madame Boo

By *ohndunboyneMan  over a year ago

Dunboyne & Dublin

Done and I may be in 11%, wouldn't guarantee the 10% as nobody was listening with a high enough IQ

"Have come across this a few times and love it as I can get most of the way through before I stutter and then I make a bags of the end because I am laughing...puts me in the 15% bracket I think

Madame Boo"

Try put a little more effort in madam, I'm sure you will, eventually make the grade.. I bet you cheated again..

C'est moi Boudoir

"Have come across this a few times and love it as I can get most of the way through before I stutter and then I make a bags of the end because I am laughing...puts me in the 15% bracket I think

Madame Boo

Try put a little more effort in madam, I'm sure you will, eventually make the grade.. I bet you cheated again.. "

Speaking of effort which begins with the letter e, it's Madame that e makes a difference

As for the unfounded accusations, over my knee

*Reaches for cane

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

Madame Boo

Try put a little more effort in madam, I'm sure you will, eventually make the grade.. I bet you cheated again..

Speaking of effort which begins with the letter e, it's Madame that e makes a difference

*Reaches for cane"

Madame Boo, I love your way with words and lil but important details!

Madame Boo

*Reaches for cane

Madame Boo, I love your way with words and lil but important details! "

There's none of us perfect, I missed the letter e, madame missed all 600 words, im doing a clique thread tomorrow...

C'est moi Boudoir

Madame Boo

*Reaches for cane

Madame Boo, I love your way with words and lil but important details! "

Thank you DH...the is in the detail

» Add a new message to this topic